And the August singer birthdays just keep coming! After 3 men, it is time for one woman. But a really impressive one with a wonderful body of work.
1.I love you because you started working and performing as a child, at age 4, thanks to the encouragement of your father, a performer in New Delhi.
2. I love you because you taught yourself to sing by listening to tapes and popular music and participating in singing contests for prizes.
3. I love you because you had your first playback song at age 13, and then stopped and did only back-up vocals for 3 years while you took serious classical training for the first time as you realized your limitations.
4. I love you because at age 16, you came back to work with Sonu Nigam and hold your own on this complex duet. “Suna Tha” from Mast
5. Another song, that took advantage of your still somewhat raw and young sound. “Bumbro” from Mission Kashmir
6. After starting with the young broken sounding songs, you finally found your place with the strong confident powerful item songs. “Dhoom Machale” from Dhoom
7. Which made your voice perfect for Rekha. “Kaise Paheli” from Parineeta
8. And for this, the first big hip-hop item song experiment end credits promo song. “Right Here Right Now” from Bluffmaster
9. And while we are on Abhishek, another one of my favorite Abhishek songs! “Cham Se” from Dus
10. And then you proved your true mastery of the item song style with “Beedi”, in which Bipasha claimed your voice drove her on higher and higher in the song.
11. This isn’t a terribly popular or famous song, I just really really like it. “24/7” from China Town
12. This one IS a terribly popular and famous song. “Crazy Kiya Re” from Dhoom 2.
13. A very unpopular movie with a very popular song. “Sajanaji Vari Vari” from Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.
14. And you were the voice of “Desi Girl”
15. One of the few female hero songs! Not sexy, not romantic, just triumphal attitude. “Chhaliya” from Tashan.
16. I guess this is technically a love duet, but it’s a really different feeling one! “Chor Bazari” from Love Aaj Kal.
17. Now, this is a classic love duet! Of the sad variety. “Bin Tere” from I Hate Luv Storys
18. And of course, the classic Sunidhi Chauhan song! “Sheila Ki Jawani” from Tees Maar Khan.
19. One of my favorite Pritam songs! Did not realize this was you. “Te Amo” from Dum Maaro Dum
20. That one had a little bit of Spanish in it, this one has a little bit of Marathi. “Navrai Maajhi” from English/Vinglish
21. Another one where your strong voice gets to sing out and take over the song and the dance. “Gun Gun Guna” from Agneepath.
22. This is a song where your voice has to be loud to shut out the voices in the character’s head. “Just Go To Hell Dil” from Dear Zindagi
23. That song and movie got a lot of notice, this one did not, but I think it is better. The song at least, if not the whole movie. “Je T’aime” from Befikre
24. And just to rewind back to the beginning, the big hit title song that really got you noticed. “Main Mast” from Mast
25. And finally, the big amazing song that you were part of last year. Even if most people didn’t notice it, I know we here love it! “Radha” from Jab Harry Met Sejal