Wednesday Watching Post/Happy Halloween! What Spooooooky Things Are You Watching and Reading and Thinking and Listening To This Week?

Happy Wednesday!  I can’t believe I’m not even halfway through this week.  I think either we need to lose a whole bunch of clients or my boss has to hire another person to help me.  Thank goodness I have Shahrukh’s Birthday to look forward to on Friday and Jab Harry Met Sejal Day on Sunday.

I’ll start!

Watching: I found Mad About You!  One of those sitcoms that I would run into in the middle of the night and sort of watch aimlessly and hadn’t thought about in years.  It popped up on Amazon (through their Starz add on) and now I am happily skipping around and enjoying the perfect pleasure of a show I know well enough not to be stressed but have forgotten enough that the jokes feel new.

Reading: Nothing!  I’m working too much.  Can’t take the bus to work because I have to take the dog because I’ve been staying late and I don’t want her stuck at home alone.  I miss the bus!  I love the bus!

Thinking: What should I show for Shahrukh Day on Friday?  I was leaning towards Jab Harry Met Sejal, but I think it would only work if everyone is there on time and stays the whole time, which seems unlikely.  So maybe the traditional viewing of Inner World of Shahrukh?  Or his Koffee episode from last season?  Or my Date with Shahrukh DVD (disappointingly, not an actual recording of a date with Shahrukh, just a collection of songs and scenes)?

Listening: After all that talk on the review, I am back to the Jab Tak Hai Jaan soundtrack.  And I have discovered that “Heer” is STILL my favorite song, head and shoulders above the rest, just like it was when I first heard the soundtrack 6 years ago.  Partly because of the music, but also because the lyrics are so beautiful even some one who isn’t a fluent Hindi speaker can appreciate them.

 

 

 

Now, question for you!  In addition to the “what should we watch at Shahrukh’s birthday party” question.  A simple one: For Halloween, what movie would you watch?

For me, I think I would watch Talaash first, for reasons known by those who have seen it but not by those who have not.

And then Bol Bachchan, because everyone is pretending to be something they aren’t.

And then Jodha-Akbar, because it has the best costumes.

Image result for aishwarya jodha akbar

(Now THAT’S a Halloween costume!!!!)

47 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching Post/Happy Halloween! What Spooooooky Things Are You Watching and Reading and Thinking and Listening To This Week?

  1. For some years my Halloween watch was Dhadkan, because it was my “watch while sick” film, and I was always sick in this period (that was before I discovered that pomegranate juice makes wonders). And when you think about it Dhadkan is kinda scary, because it shows how important is not to date instabile guys because they can return and destroy your life.

    Thinking: what is going on with the weather this year? I’m so sick of rain. There should be quite warm in October in Sicily, light-middle warm jerseys weather, but this year I have already worn my winter jacket and I’m depressed. I need sun 😦

    Listening: Adiga Adiga from Ninnu Kori

    I’m so obsessed with this song lately that I decided to re-watch the movie, but unfortunately it’s still stupid.

    Watching: Apart Ninnu Kori, I watched Kaagaz Ke Phool you recommended last week. But I didn’t love it. Yes, I can appreciate it, the lights were great, but watching it was more like a homework than a pleasure. I hate the montage. Everytime I started feeling something, care about characters, the scene was abruptly cut, and changed completely. And there were 3 long songs in 15 minutes of film. Why? I know I miss many important things, and that’s why I would love to read your review of this movie.
    I also watched While You Were Sleeping!!! I have been searching for this movie for months and now finally it’s on streaming! I love it. It’s as sweet as I remembered it.
    And I have seen Bridget Jones’s baby, Let’s say it’s better than the trailer and Colin Firth doesn’t lose his charm, but it could be much better.

    Like

    • I love While You Were Sleeping! Partly because there are a lot of really accurate Chicago-specific jokes, which is fun for me. But it is also a really sweet story. And then you can go watch Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega, which has one of my favorite songs. Sounds pretty, but I also really like how Salman switches between pretending to be sad about his true love in a coma versus being really happy to be with Preity who he is falling in love with:

      So sorry you didn’t like Kaagaz Ke Phool! I really need to review that someday. But kind of glad you didn’t love Bridget Jones’ Baby, I’ve been meaning to watch it because everyone said it was super good, but now I can relax if you say it is just sort of good.

      On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 7:36 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • Bridget Jones’s baby is just like other Bridget movies – she remained the same, has the same problems and do similar things. The movie is only worth watching for mr Darcy, who also remained the same (but in this case it’s good). So if you need Colin Firth’s sexy longing gazes – watch it, otherwise skip.

        Like

        • I love Colin Firth so much. And he seems not to age! Or maybe he was born with a certain kind of maturity that makes him seem ageless.

          On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:02 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

  2. I’m not a big Halloween fan, but if I had to chose a movie from my DVD shelf to watch I might watch Sardarji with Diljit Dosanjh for a lighter ghost story or for a scarier film I’d go with Phobia or Pari.

    Liked by 1 person

    • Ooo, Sardaarji is a good one! I forgot about that. And Pari is terrifying, but very appropriate. Phillauri might be a nice lighter option. Boy, there are a lot of ghost stories now that I think about it!

      On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 9:22 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

    • Totally forgot about Stree! Oh my, I am very out of date with my Halloween options.

      On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 9:30 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  3. All I can think about is this Friday, when I will be hosting my very first Shahrukh birthday party! I now have a critical mass of Indian movie fans, thanks to my clever idea of offering movie nights as auction items in my church fundraiser and my even cleverer idea of creating a Facebook group with everyone who showed up for more than two movies! I might not even have to see “Zero” alone!

    Liked by 2 people

    • I am so excited for you! And you are reminding me that I need to buy cake in a box for my own Shahrukh party.

      I also offered an Indian movie night at my church auction, but I have low hopes for interest in it. Oh well, you never know!

      On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:22 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  4. With children I’d watch Bhoothnath and Chamatkar. Without children I’d watch Pari then Ghoul.

    I vote for Date with Shah Rukh as the thing to watch during your party, followed by Inner World. Date with Shah Rukh could be a fun drinking game thing (if you drank). Each change of outfit–take a sip! Each kiss on the neck–drink a shot!

    Like

    • We drink! Just, like, apple juice. Which I guess probably isn’t very fun to take sips of. Although I enjoy it. Maybe play it with chocolate chips instead? Have a chip every time he does something?

      Ooo, and that reminds me, I should get sparkling apple cider and bring out my champagne glasses! It’s a party!

      Agree about Chamatkar and Bhoothnath being good choices with kids. Pari is so scary I’m not sure I can ever watch it again. Heck, Phillauri might be too much for me!

      On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 11:33 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

        • I am so happy I am not the only person with the “A Date with Shahrukh” DVD! It was everywhere for a long time, and then the last time I looked for it, I had to order it from Germany or something strange like that.

          On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 12:01 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

  5. I saw Aravindha Sametha and Hello Guru Prema Kosame, the two latest Telugu releases. Aravindha Sametha was an interesting movie but I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would due to it being such a violent and gory movie. Jr. NTR and Jagapathi Babu acted really well though.

    Hello Guru Prema Kosame was starring Ram Pothineni and Anupama Parameswaran. It was a rom-com with an emphasis on the comedy and it was hilarious! I don’t know if you would like it but this was totally my kind of movie and it was a really fun watch.

    I also finished Yes Boss and it was so good! I’m so mad at myself for never watching this movie before. Shahrukh and Juhi were so cute together!! I don’t think I’ve seen any other movies with them both in it. Actually I’ve seen Darr but that doesn’t exactly count. They have such good chemistry!! I’m probably gonna end up seeing Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman soon as well 🙂

    The first song from Taxiwaala, Vijay Deverakonda’s next movie, has come out and it’s so good!

    Also, I’m really excited for Savyasachi coming out this weekend!

    Like

    • I am so glad you enjoyed Yes Boss! And now you have all those other Juhi-Shahrukh movies to enjoy.

      Curious, for Savyasachi, is it Naga that excites you or Maddy?

      Like

      • Oh, I’m definitely seeing this for Chay. I like Madhavan and all but I’m not going to go out of my way to watch a movie just because he’s in it. But it does give me faith in Savyasachi that Madhavan is acting in it. He seems to have a better script sense than Chay.

        Like

      • So once, my friend was told me that she liked Shahrukh and Juhi better than the pairing of Shahrukh and Kajol. I didn’t get it back then, mostly because I had no idea who Juhi was. But I totally get it now! They are so cute together!!

        Liked by 1 person

        • She seems to bring out his goofy side, it’s their movies where he does the really silly prop comedy and costumes and stuff, every other heroine he resists getting quite that goofy.

          On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 6:30 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

          • I really like this goofy side! So what other movies have they done together? I can only think of Darr and Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman.

            Like

        • Shah Rukh and Juhi are my favorite pairing. They also did Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani and One 2 Ka 4 together. I think PBDHH is a good and underrated movie, while One 2 Ka 4 is a flawed movie but with great scenes and chemistry between Shah Rukh and Jackie Shroff (a younger brother/older brother vibe) and Shah Rukh and Juhi. Plus songs by AR Rahman! Both movies have oddly dark undertones and scenes though. And PBDHH has an unfunny Johnny Lever “comedy” subplot, and a flat out racist “yellow face” scene where SRK and Juhi dress up as a Chinese couple.

          Like

          • Oh yeah, I was gonna check out One 2 Ka 4 once before but I ended up not doing so due to the runtime. I am more interested in it now…

            Isn’t PBDHH directed by the same person who made Yes Boss and Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman?

            Like

          • I think so, Aziz Mirza. He was the third partner in Dreamz Unlimited, the production company Juhi and Shahrukh founded. Not sure what his involvement is now that it has folded over to be Red Chillies. He was one of Shahrukh’s first directors, came out of FTII and was close with the Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro gang, then branched off and started making mainstream stuff. He made Kismat Konnection too, which is why Shahrukh did the voice over. He has kind of an old-fashioned way of filming things, but he has a really nice light touch with actors.

            Liked by 1 person

          • I’m sure it’s lowbrow to say this, but Aziz Mirza ia my favorite Hindi film director. His characters are such real, everyday people, even in unusual situations. His movies remind me of the American movies made from Neil Simon’s screenplays which are also some of my faves. I like the tenor of Shah Rukh’s performances when directed by Mirza. Less try-hard. Juhi is awesome in everything.

            Like

          • Oh right, he did Chalte Chalte too! (I just checked his filmography) I wish Juhi could have been in that, but I guess she was busy with babies and stuff so they had to bring in Aish and then Rani. Although Shahrukh was still a little goofy.

            Like

  6. For Halloween, I’m rewatching Vaada with handsome Arjun Rampal and Amisha Patel at her loveliest and least annoying. Arjun starts out gorgeous, as usual, then becomes very satanic in appearance. The look suits him!

    Like

    • Is that the “teri kurti sexy lagte hai” movie? I’ve never watched it and I am so curious what the plot is. What the heck happens in that?

      On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 7:47 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • Yes – it’s the “teri kurti sexy lagte hai” movie. It’s about a love triangle/thriller that goes very wrong. The third part of the triangle is played by a young and emotional Zayed Khan. There are a few twists and some interesting music. For some reason, I love “Ud Ud Ud Ud Jaye” Of course, it doesn’t hurt that Arjun Rampal is featured in the video. The movie is worth a look, if only for Rampal’s devilish goatee.

        Like

  7. In my quest to still watch a respectable number of 2018 Hindi releases, I watched Dhadak tonight. Despite its beautiful setting and production values (it seemed bathed in the most beautiful sunlight throughout), I really disliked it for a number of reasons. 1) I didn’t find either acting performance compelling at all. Janhvi was very forced in the emotional sequences and I found Ishaan to be overacting in his emotional sequences. The final scenes (I did know what the changes were) were so badly directed. 2) It lacked the grit and stakes of the original as noted by everyone who’s seen both. 3) It just didn’t need to be made at all. It’s all so calculated as a money grab and a stress free way to launch to star kids. I guess that KJo and Dharma still made money on OK Jannu so this is still a working formula for success. Both suffer from the same problem, lackluster stars in sanitized echo of the originals.

    The only positive thing I can say about Dhadak was the music was still strong, because it was based on the beautiful melodies and beats of the original. And Farah Khan is still an interesting choreographer. Though you really couldn’t judge either of the leads’ dancing abilities here. I would still watch another film by this director since overall the direction was strong (just the actors and the stale material let him down). I liked Humpty a lot, so he’s at least 1 for 3 for me.

    Still glad I watched it so that I can have a firm opinion about how awful these Dharma remakes are!

    Also, in an unrelated note on the recently watched Sanju, I’ve come to the conclusion that one of the few directors that I don’t think I’ll ever like is Raj Kumar Hirani. I had pretty strong negative reactions to both P.K. and Sanju.

    Like

    • Well, you are just confirming that I made the right decision in skipping Dhadak. I should still see Sairat sometime, but Dhadak might be a permenant skip.

      I love Munna Bhai, and I admire and like 3 Idiots, but PK and Sanju just feel like they are trying to hard to me, like he lost track of the heart of it all. Anyway, if you haven’t seen Munna Bhai yet I would be interested in your opinion, Hirani before he got too Hirani-y.

      Like

      • Definitely just watch Sairat (it really is as good as everyone says and one that will be talked about for years). It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on both in comparison. I also felt like a hardcore Indian film fan, I needed to see these two debutante performances to start forming my opinion about them.

        I did like 3 Idiots but there were moments where he almost lost me in that one, too (I didn’t like the Zoobie song or the ridiculous birth sequence) There are similarities between Anurag Basu and Hirani and I think I’m firmly in the Basu camp despite his flaws. He understands magical realism and hyperbole in a way that Hirani never will. I’ve never seen Munna Bhai but since anti-Sanjay, I don’t think that will appeal.

        Like

        • Munna Bhai is Hirani’s movie with the least magical realism and “whimsical” touches. And the most personal message, there’s something about healthcare reform but it is mostly about Sanjay trying to please his father. But it’s also extremely heavy on the Sanjay, so that might be reason to avoid it for you.

          On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 8:07 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

  8. Scary movies are too scary for me. I’m seriously wondering if I should see Stree, a few years from now when it’s available for streaming. I actually managed to see Phobia, mostly because I was on an airplane with a lot of other people to keep me safe. Taking a pass on Ghoul.

    The only thing I’ve seen that I have not posted about was the new Netflix series Little Things, which I think I need more time to make a judgement on. Each episode is only around 15 minutes, and I’ve only watched one. I didn’t really find it terribly compelling–they obviously want to make another show “about nothing” where we watch characters humorously go about their daily lives. But there’s only so much nothing you can have in a show before it’s boring, and in the first episode it’s just a bunch of bickering in which the man is dopey and the woman is shrill. But I’ll give it another shot–it’s only 15 minutes. I’m also thinking I’ll start watching Smoke, which has an interesting-looking cast.

    Like

  9. I’m on a definite movie binge now! I really liked Gold! I had low expectations for some reason, but it now joins my top five of the year. I can see some of the criticisms, too much Akshay (though I liked his performance) and this is the perfect example of how songs can sometimes totally take you out of a film. However, with those small flaws, I loved that this was a predictable sports drama with all of the cliches, the formation of the team from individuals, the coach looking for redemption, and the guy who won’t pass the ball. The money spent on the film shows in many of the scenes (the cinematography, the art production, costumes, and even the much better white actors (Princess Elizabeth!) than usual), though every once in a while the writing is a tiny bit clunky.

    Mouni Roy was the worst part for me…she was acting in a masala film not this one. Simran (Himmat’s girlfriend back home) was such a better female role. Amit and Sunny were both great and then Vineet Kumar Singh and Kunal Kapoor really were the souls of the film. Still wish they could have cast a Muslim actor in Vineet’s role at least, but I am excited to see him in that Kashyup film I have to see someday. Wow, Kunal could be getting better with age and this role shows him at his best. Our recent talk about voices did make me realize that his isn’t great but he seems more at ease on screen and has such a suave and easy presence here. The subtle facial expression and shake of his head when Amit’s character approaches him for the first time with that look of adulation was one of my favorite parts and the brick carrying scene was classic. Cliched but classic.

    I just watched Soorma and I enjoyed that one very much but this is the one that I would recommend along with Chak De India! as a great sports film. Soorma is a better family film like you said.

    Like

    • Some day there will be a sports movie where in order to teach the guy to pass the ball, they just sit him down in a room and force him to watch all the scenes from other sports movies of the guy learning to pass the ball. Just pass the ball! It’s so simple! Hotshot athletes have been learning that lesson for the past 50 years! Also, when is there going to be the movie about the star player who has to learn NOT to pass the ball? The one who would always rather step back and let someone else take the lead? Although, probably those people don’t end up in sports.

      Oh oh! Other sports idea! To force the team to bond, they are all looked in a room watching movies about teams being forced to learn to bond until they get so sick of it that they turn on their captor/coaches, thereby learning to bond through their group refusal to watch more scenes of teams being forced to learn to bond!

      Okay, moving on. I loved the way the actors playing the older players put in performances that felt like older players. Vineet and Kunal were so much more at ease on screen, had so much more grace and confidence and depth, versus the way Amit and Sunny played their roles. Kunal could convey with a glance what Amit was doing with his whole body. Which isn’t a slam at Amit, I think he purposefully dumbed down and made obvious his character, because his emotions and so on would be more obvious compared to the actors in the older roles.

      But yes, this is such a good sports movie. The team coming together as a metaphor for the country, then breaking apart and reforming, the way the romance and personal motivations were woven in but didn’t take it over, and the way the final match played out, legitimately getting you involved and leaving you tense and breathless.

      Question: I am visiting my sister and brother-in-law in a few weeks, I was thinking of showing Soorma (because it is more recent so he might actually have heard of the player), but maybe Gold instead just because it is a slightly better movie? What do you think?

      On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 3:56 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • I think you should ask him if he wants a sports film with one person’s triumph over adversity vs. a sports film with a whole team triumphing over adversity? I think Gold is a better overall crowd-pleasing movie, but Soorma has a bit more innocence and heart to it.

        So, I guess Gold? If my dad ever lets me show him another Indian film after the Dabangg debacle, this is the one I’m going for…I also think my mom would like it because she’s been forced to see a lot of sports films and she appreciates the formula, too.

        [Also, watching these two films made me realize how hollow Dhoni was…I liked it at the time and even bought the DVD, but he was a terrible choice for a biopic]

        Like

        • Dhoni is interesting because the director excels at process thrillers. The characters are superficial and the stakes are low, but you don’t notice because it is so fascinating watching all the little details of the journey. So a very strange kind of sports biopic, that is about the small details of the journey to greatness and less about the big emotional moments or the actual success.

          On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 4:24 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

    • Mukkabaaz! Yes, watch it, it’s 2018 movie and I think you want to focus on this year films. Vineet is very good, and the girl is very good (different and interesting too), and Jimmy Shergill is evil evil.

      Like

  10. So I watched Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman last night and it was so good as well! I think I like it slightly more than Yes Boss because there’s no character as horrible as the boss from Yes Boss in this movie. Juhi and Shahrukh are still so cute!! It took me a while to recognize Amrita Singh; I don’t think I’ve ever seen her in an old movie before.

    Like

    • If you decide to branch off from Juhi-Shahrukh and try just Juhi, check out Aaina. It has Juhi and Amrita as sisters.

      On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 5:08 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.