Happy 2 Days to Zero!!!!! And 6 days to Jesus, but come on, we know which is more important.

I’ll start!

Reading: Finally catching up on People magazine. Thank goodness, they picked Idris Alba as Sexiest Man Alive this year. It took them at least 4 years too long, but they got there in the end.

Thinking: Okay, I get in the cab at 5am on Friday, get to the airport at 5:30, get through security, on the flight at 6:30, fly fly fly, get off the flight, get on a bus, then a train, take the train to the end of the line, walk a block, get to the Indian movie theater, wait in the lobby until the first show of Zero, watch Zero, then go to my sisters. That seems not-exhausting, right?

Watching: I watched Bujjigaddu on Saturday with my friend and her baby, she LOVED it and now I am trying to think of similar amusing and lighthearted action movies to show her. Speaking of amusing and lighthearted action movies, on Monday I rewatched Chennai Express.

Listening: Still Christmas music!!! It’s The Rule. But I did take a little break to show my friend two songs from Sonu ki Titu ke Sweety, just to prove to her that the line between bro-mance and ro-mance is very very small.

Now, question for you! Inspired by my possibly too ambitious Friday plan. What is the most ridiculous amount of effort you have ever made to see a movie? And was it worth it in the end?

31 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching Post: What Are You Reading and Listening To and Thinking and Watching This Week?

1. (reposting on behalf of anonymous so it is in the right place for discussion)

Not sure where to put these so just dropping them here. Saw some zero interviews. Most of them were the same old thing; nothing new. However, these 3 are good.

The last one is the most fun and silly one and also the most off-script one. SRK spends half of it blushing because the female interviewer is clearly a little too into him. At one point, she just stops in the middle of asking questions and says she’s trying hard to be a journalist but kuch kuch hota hai. She asks SRK if he understands what she’s saying and he says “yeah yeah, I only look stupid. I’m not actually stupid” and then starts blushing hard. Haha.

We also learn that Katrina wants a National Award. Okaaaaay. Well it’s good to have dreams.

• I’ve really enjoyed watching the three of them this time around. So different from JTHJ interviews! Both women are much more assertive, and they’re all relaxed and jokey and kind of intimate. Anushka was always poised, but there was a period where she was so poised it was tense. She would watch SRK as he talked and you could watch her processing all the layers – studying him, watching the dynamic with the interviewer, figuring out her place and what she was going to say. Sometimes her answers sounded even defensive, the teasing humor between them was there but in public she couldn’t play it off as an equal. Katrina back then seemed super timid, like she wanted to sink into the chair. SRK dominated the conversation so much, it felt patronizing, like he was speaking for all of them. Now, the interviewers still default to speaking to him, but the women take control a lot and he collaborates in their small insurrection. And more than that, the way they listen to each other is different, it seems more real, even when they’re repeating the same answer to the same question for the hundredth time. Katrina is really putting herself out there, and Anushka and SRK are both listening and responding with humor and compassion. There’s a genuine warmth to it.

2. I’d seen the first two and I agree they are both really good interviews. Carol and I are driving and hour and a half into the depths of New Jersey to see a 9:30 show with 3 fans we have never met…even though we could see it at a theater which is a 15 minute subway ride away. Doesn’t beat your crazy plan, but its plenty nuts. We are seeing FDFS at 9:10 on Friday morning. The hardest will be not looking at social media from Thursday on so as to avoid the inevitable spoilers.

• I hate avoiding spoilers! Sometimes I don’t care, even welcome them, but this particular film I really want to experience fresh in every way, including little things like “Anushka’s character was so snobby” for instance. I don’t want to have that in my head when I am trying to appreciate the flow of the story.

I love your plan!!!! If my sister still lived in New Jersey (she hasn’t for 6 years, but if she did) I would be joining you. Oh, now I am sentimental for when she lived in Jersey. Every theater, literally every theater, showed Indian films. It wasn’t a matter of crawling through listings, it was a matter of just showing up to whichever one we happened to drive by and KNOWING they would be playing the movie we wanted. Also, I got to rent things from Movie Time Video in person, which was SO EXCITING. If you are killing time in New Jersey, highly recommend going to Oak Tree Road and visiting Movie Time. They were very nice to us and they had EVERYTHING.

Also, very jealous that you get to see Zero with a crowd. It’s way way better that way, especially if you are all fans and it is opening day. I suspect my theater will be pretty deserted, but who knows! I’ll be fine either way, because if it is empty I can stretch out and put my luggage on the seat next to me and recover from 3 hours in an airplane. But if it is full, the energy of the crowd should get me going.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 8:28 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. I’ve been seeing a lot of posts about Sara Ali Khan on Twitter and I’m wondering if a new kind of heroine is going to become popular in the future. Sara isn’t super sexy or glamorous, more like the really cute girl next door. Plus you have Sanya Malhotra coming up and Anushka Sharma still popular. I wonder if along with the shift in leading men to Everyman types like Ayushmann and Rajkummar you will see a corresponding shift in lead actresses.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I got yelled at on Twitter for calling Johnny Depp short because he is just a hair taller than Aamir and that was hilarious. Your fave is wee, sorry.

• Wait, was it Johnny Depp fans yelling at you or Aamir fans? Either way, you would think they know! These are not tall men.

I think of the heroine shift as more a correction. The “natural” look and feel was popular straight through the 90s, it was only the little wave of Miss India’s that upset it. Plus the adjustment to the new media landscape. Sara today feels very similar to her mother, and to Karisma, Kajol, Rani, all of those actresses from just a generation ago. They looked and felt natural onscreen and off, they gave brutally honest and open interviews, and they didn’t try to hide their private life. But then social media came in and everyone was scrambling with how to be public in this new setting, and the Miss India contest and globalization in general brought in a wave of tall thin high cheekboned perfectly polished woman. But hopefully that is over now, because those heroines were booooooring!!!!

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. not related to zero and i also feel like i am the last one to find out but i read a blind about ELKDTAL and its going to be a queer love story!!!! what!! i was already so excited over the movie given the music and the cast but now to know this… feb 1 needs to happen right after dec 21. we can skip over simbaa. haha

• I still have hope that Ek Lardki will release sooner, if only because that same trailer they have been showing for months ends “Coming this year”. They wouldn’t lie to me, right? And there’s still a week and a half left in the year!

Also, oh wow that is exciting! And explains two things that puzzled me, first that it was leaked that Anil is revealed to have had an affair which challenges Sonam’s marriage (and the trailer seems to fit with that based on the interactions we see) but there was no other woman listed on the cast list or shown in the trailer. And second that it has been delayed soooooooooooooo long for no apparent reason. If they knew it would be a tricky topic, could be why they put it off. And I will assume that the lover is male and they are holding off on revealing that for the film itself instead of in the trailer.

• And it is the perfect way to look it within the Indian context, if the discussion is how this secret has impacted not just Anil, but his innocent wife Juhi and his daughter Sonam, who is struggling with what it means for her own identity and concept of marriage. I love that idea, expanding it out to the whole family structure and how they are all affected.

And Anil is perfect too, because he isn’t sexy. I mean, he is, in a kind of salt and pepper way, but this isn’t some kind of hot guy with perfect abs in a club fantasy, this is a middle-aged guy in glasses and grey hair.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 11:14 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• THAT would be most definitely be a cool story! The blind though said it was Sonam’s character that finds herself engaged to a boy but with feelings for a girl…

5. What is the most ridiculous amount of effort you have ever made to see a movie? And was it worth it in the end?

The most out-of-my-character thing I did was not for a movie but for bollywood themed party. It was in the beginning of my indian movies mania, and I was studying in Torun then. There was this one website about indian movies, which every fan used, and they organized a party. But the party was in Warsaw (2 hours by train from Torun). I don’t know even one person in Warsaw, but still wanted to go. I convinced my roommate to go with me. Asked one girl from the website to buy me the tickets. The girl turned out to be an indian man, who thanks God was very nice and kept us company all afternoon after we arrived in the capital. In the evening he went with us to the party. I was surprised when I saw the club because it was one of the worst clubs I’ve ever been. The party was ok. When it was over, indian guy invited us to go to his place because it was night, but we refused and went to train station when we waited few hours.
    Overall – the party wasn’t worth al this mess, but I’m happy I did it, because it was a nice adventure (especially for a person like me who rarely do to the parties, or travel, and I hate to ask favors) Thanks God everything ended well.

• Thank goodness you convinced your roommate to go with you! Because this does not sound like a very sound or safe plan. Very appropriate for college.

I wish I had done something that adventurous in my life. I like to think that if I had gotten into the movies when I was that isolated, instead of on a college campus filled with desis, I would have been as brave as you. But I think more likely I just never would have been serious about them without that social encouragement around me.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 12:19 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Seems that I have this moments of madness once in 10 years, because few years ago I convinced my husband to go to London because Chris Young was playing there. I had to take my, then 3 or 4 y/o son with us, pay expensive tickets, hotel, airplane, just to see Chris for 45 minutes, because it was Country Music festival and he played only for so long. But I won meet&greet too, and now have a big photo of Chris Young hugging me in my living room, so it was definitely worth it.

• Yes! And funny thing, my speaking english is terrible, I even had problems with ordering coffee, but when I met him, I started talking and I didn’t let him say anything. I don’t know how it’s possible because I was never able to talk with guys I liked, even in polish.

6. Sooooo many movies! My husband was out of the house quite a bit last weekend, doing holiday decorations at our church. So I watched Dilwale, and Loins of Punjab, and a bunch of AR Rahman music videos, and then I binge-watched a whole bunch of Nailed It on Netflix. Then I cast about for something different to watch and decided to watch Nayak because its has AR Rahman music and Anil Kapoor, my age-appropriate crush. I really enjoyed Nayak (it is now my new favorite Amrish Puri movie), and looked it up on Wikipedia and saw that it was one of three or four remakes of Mudhalvan (Tamil), which starred Manisha Koirala. So OF COURSE I had to watch Mudhalvan, too! I don’t like it as much, despite Manisha, because Amrish Puri is ten times better as the villain in the Hindi version.

And now I am impatiently checking out where Zero is showing near me, hoping to see it Friday morning as early as possible. I am hosting a big Solstice party that evening, and need time to finish cleaning and cooking, too.

• I still haven’t seen Nayak!!! And I really should. I didn’t watch it for years for no particular reason, and then I found out it was a remake and now I feel like I can’t watch it until I see the original, and I don’t want to. But I can use your permission to stick to just the Hindi since Amrish Puri is better in Hindi.

I’m checking Zero showtimes too! The theater I can easily get to by public transit from the airport doesn’t have a show until 1pm, which means I would have to wait hours to see it and, more importantly, I will be physically ill with exhaustion by the time it ends. There are loads of earlier showtimes, but they are all out in the suburbs which means paying massive cab prices to get there (Boston is weird, why is it so small and yet transportation is so expensive?). I am holding on to hope that a closer and earlier showtime will appear.

Also, I thought Jackie Shroff was your age appropriate crush? Or do you have multiple (that is allowed)?

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 2:14 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

7. I had very Khurrana-ish week. Last week I saw Stree, and it has Aparshakti Khurana, few days later Happy Phirr Bhag Jayegi, and he is in it too, next was Andhadhun with Ayushmann, then Manmarziyaan (no Khurranas this time) and now I’m watching Badhaai Ho. It’s funny because I didn’t plan it and realized it only now. Oh and all those movies are from 2018 so I’m catching up before your “the best” posts.

• But Manmarziyaan really feels like a Khurrana movie, doesn’t it? Like Abhishek should be played by Ayushmann, or one of Vicky’s friends by Aparshakti. It’s got that small town northern feel to it.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 2:32 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes, you’re right. Small town feel, with realistic houses, interiors, “normal” families etc.

Reading: I read about XIX century polish lady who was one of the first polish feminists, and also she was a teacher, and patriot and writer. Such a important person and I’ve never heard about her before. I found the textbook she wrote in 1847 for mothers who teach their daughters at home, and I read it. Being honest I was expecting obsolete stuff about being a good wife, but it was complete opposite. There was geography, history, math…And the best was that I didn’t find anything offensive in it. On the contrary, she was condemning slavery and saying that no matter what colour, we all are human beings and “black or white everybody should improve himself and try to be happy” And it is book for girls from 1847!

• I love running across historical stuff like that. It reassures me that there is something stable in humanity, it’s not that the people of the past were bad and we are better, good people and intelligent thoughts existed through out history. Of course, also a little frustrating to see that this common sense way of thinking was already there almost 200 years ago and we still haven’t fully caught up to it today.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 3:10 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

8. The craziest road trip I ever did was in college at the March on Washington in 1969. Instead of going with my nice, safe synagogue group and college boyfriend, I went on a different bus with my friend, stayed with friends of friends of friends including an old high school boyfriend I hadn’t seen in several years, hitch hiked around Washington when we needed to get to and from the rally. My boyfriend looked all over for me, but never found me. Though I was all of 18, deep in my heart I must have known that I would marry the boy who looked all over for me and this was the last fling with someone else. Even though it was a peace rally, it probably wasn’t so safe.
    The craziest thing I’ve done as an adult is buy OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive tickets to the SLAM show so that I could sit in the 9th row and dragged Carol out with me. But I have breathed the air Shah Rukh was breathing. But I am not counting it as meeting him…that is yet to come.

• I saw SLAM in the balcony, but thanks to his flying entrance I may have breathed his air too.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 5:22 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

9. Thinking: Why am I not staying in Japan for Christmas? My local theater is showing Bahubali again and we are encouraged to come in costume with light sticks AND they are serving French toast!!! I mean, I love my family, but Bahubali plus French toast?

Watching: I mentioned that Magadheera was coming this weekend and I saw it instead of packing or cleaning as I should have been doing. I was a bit disappointed when the main part of the story was set in modern times, but the movie really gets going when they flash back, and I really enjoyed it. Kajal Aggarwal’s eyeliner was spectacular, and I love when they do the thing where the whole crew gets to dance over the closing credits. That was really sweet.

Probably doesn’t count, but I also tried Bipashu’s aerobics video on youtube. I really like her as an actress, but she cannot cue an aerobics video properly. I had no idea what was going on.

Most trouble I’ve gone to for a movie: I once seriously contemplated flying to a big city and staying a day in a hotel to catch Padmaavat, but I couldn’t swing it with work.

• I’m so glad you saw Magadheera! And you can join me in going “KAJAL!!! MOVE YOURSELF!!!!” That whole finale fight scene in the past, she drove me CRAZY. all the bit about learning to use weapons and so on, and she is just standing their sort of leaning on a rock.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 8:53 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

10. Sorry for the hiatus but I’m back for now 🙂

This time I didn’t get distracted by sports though the NFL playoffs are about to start in a couple of weeks. Instead I saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald which led to me getting back into fan fiction. I got really into reading Harry Potter fan fiction and I remembered how much fun and time taking reading was.

Anyway, I saw Padi Padi Leche Manasu with my friend and we both loved it! I don’t want to spoil anything but I will say the ending is bittersweet and I didn’t really like that. But other than the ending and Sharwanand’s hair, I really enjoyed the movie. I don’t know how to exactly explain it, but nothing lights up the screen like Sai Pallavi smiling and PPLM has a really good amount of that. Actually the entire first half is really adorable and charming, and I liked the second half as well. I would really recommend that you check PPLM out if you have time, I think you would enjoy it.