A Dozen Salman Khan Films Outside the Standard List

This is HARD! Salman’s filmography is so vast, and the “standard list” so small, that almost everything he made falls outside of it. Especially the way he reinvents himself every few years making his “standard” films a complete different collection. Anyway, I look forward to lively discussion as we all fight about where Lucky: No Time for Love should be!

From 1988 to 1994, Salman was a romantic chocolate hero lead, always falling in love. 1994 to 1999, he was half a comic hero and half romantic but in a confident cocky way. 1999 to 2009, pretty much all comic with a few love movies scattered in. And 2009 to present day, it’s ACTION ACTION ACTION with a couple of kind of sweet family stories mixed in. What this means is, Salman’s “standard list” is WEIRD!!!! For those who love him as a romantic hero, it starts at Maine Pyar Kiya and goes through Sultan. For those who like Comic Salman, it starts with Andaz Apna Apna and goes until Partner. For those who like Action Salman, it goes from Wanted to Tiger Zinda Hai. And for those who like All Salmans, it’s the two Dabangg movies, romantic and comic and action all in one.

The list I put together ended up being mostly romance, because that is the least remembered (right now) version of Salman, with some of the lessor comedies scattered in. There’s loads I left off because at least at one point they were highly regarded and famous and will swing back into being noticed if Salman swings back into comedy or romance (for instance, Judwaa wasn’t talked about much until the sequel came out, and then it was everywhere). But this least is decent films from through out Salman’s career that were never so so so so so popular as to be unforgettable, and also aren’t really super critically acclaimed, and definitely aren’t being mentioned now in interviews and promotions because he doesn’t make these kinds of films any more.

This is a movie that I went on a little journey from “so bad it’s good” to “I might be sincerely enjoying this” to “no, actually, it’s a good movie!” I wouldn’t say a “smart” movie, or a “deep” movie, but it is good. The song sequences are extremely enjoyable and original, it is a nice old-fashioned swoony love story, and the hero role is perfect for Salman, the cool older college kid stuck with the dreamy teenage girl who falls for him and vice versa. (definitely watch this song, so charming and ridiculous)

See? Cute!

Love

This is a really really good movie. It’s a southern remake with Revathy carried over from the original cast, and the script has that southern kind of “wow, that’s different!” spark, for instance making the heroine Christian. Plus, Revathy is brilliant (as always) and forces Salman to up his acting game. But the message about consumerism and parental abuse, and the super cute love story, that’s all timeless and just plain GOOD. And the critics and the public didn’t really notice it, so it ended up on his overlooked films list when it belongs on the “critical acclaim and hit” list. (you can skip this song, it’s cute but not a must watch)

Sangdil Sanam

Okay, this is definitely a “so bad it’s good” option. But it is very entertaining! And very old-fashioned Masala. Manisha Koirala and Salman were childhood-married and then separated, and when Salman goes looking for her, rich girl Manisha isn’t thrilled to have village boy Salman try to “claim” her. There are crazy complications after that, crazy to the point of just being entertained by how far they will go. Plus, a chance to see Manisha and Salman on screen together! (you can skip this song too, unless you want to see Salman and Manisha sexy together)

Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya

This one was actually a big hit when it came out. But then Kuch Kuch Hota Hai came out a few months later was was an even bigger hit, and everyone forgot this movie. A combination of a bunch of familiar plots, Kajol and Salman fall in love at college but Kajol’s brother Arbaaz Khan doesn’t approve and Salman has to prove himself. Kajol and Salman have a kind of fun chemistry, and this was their only film together, and the plot is a nice old-school romance, and the songs are GREAT. Absolutely worth a watch. (classic song here, of the “Salman the Beefcake” variety)

Jab Pyaar Kisise Hota Hain

I wouldn’t have expected it, but the Salman-Twinkle chemistry in this is maybe the most human and real I have ever seen either of them look onscreen. It’s a sweet story, Salman is the rich boy who reforms for the love of Twinkle and then has a last minute complication to their happy ending. But mostly it stands out for me because of just how adult it is, about everything. Twinkle and Salman really feel like two healthy mature adults together, the threat to their relationship is real and not some scammed up fake thing for the sake of drama, and it is all just pleasant. (you can skip this song, it’s just okay)

Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge

The comic years! And the Karisma years. Salman and Karisma were amazing comic partners. In this one, they meet and fall in love on a trip to Europe, and then Salman has to win over her 3 very different and very protective uncles (one is a weight lifter, one loves pop music, and so on). It’s essentially DDLJ, but played as more of an over the top farce than anything else. (another just okay song, but the Karisma-Salman chemistry is always good)

Chal Mere Bhai

Another one that should be tragic but lands on “farce” instead. Salman and Sanjay are brothers who, unknowingly, both fall in love with Karisma. There is a large family putting pressure on them, Karisma’s comic uncle, and so on and so forth. It largely works just because of the amazing three way chemistry, Salman and Sanjay, Salman and Karisma, and Karisma and Sanjay. (also, you should really watch this song, it’s an all time classic and so freakin’ charming I could die).

Har Dil Jo Pyar Karoge

I love this movie! Part of the “Salman remakes 1990s Chicago set rom-coms” duology. A remake of While You Were Sleeping but way more comic, Salman is an aspiring singer who pretends to be the fiance of Rani Mukherjee (a girl in a coma) in order to get in good with her music producer uncle. But then of course falls in love with Rani’s best friend Preity. There are complications after that, and it gets all sacrificial and “True Love” by the end, but mostly it is ridiculous! Oh, and it has a Shahrukh cameo for no real reason! (another great song! Especially with the comic touch of Salman having to act sad while Preity is looking at him)

Dil Ne Jise Apne Kahaa

And the second of the “Salman remakes 1990s Chicago set rom-coms” duology! This time, a remake of Return to Me. Salman’s beloved wife Preity Zinta dies, and her heart is transplanted into Bhoomika Chawla, who of course falls in love with Salman at first sight. The songs are really good, especially the title song, and the large loving family around Bhoomika is charming, including Helen as her mother, and Salman’s performance as a grieving widower is something a little different. (only watch this song if you want to see Bhoomika Chawla in something shockingly ugly)

Veer

Oh Veer! I was just talking in the comments about how Thugs committed the terrible sin of the action-adventure-historical film of being just plain BORING. Veer is never boring. It’s over the top and unbelievable and badly acted and really badly costumed, but it is never dull! And it’s also a surprisingly intelligent and even-handed take on the Colonial period. Strip off all the terrible costumes and wigs and stuff, and it has a far firmer grasp of the period than pretty much any other film short of Junoon. But mostly, NOT BORING. (my favorite part of this song is the random poster for Street Angel in the middle. Also, the terrible costumes)

Ready

Salman’s last true comedy. A remake of the Telugu film of the same name, but I think this one is better? Asin plays the heroine and is more than a match for Salman, in every way. The script gives her plenty of opportunities to take the upper hand, and their battle of wits in the first half is the best part. The actual battles in the second half aren’t bad either. Really, it’s just an all around solid comic film with an all around solid lead performance from Salman, makes me miss the “Salman-the-comic” era. (this song is a terrible ear worm, you will never get it out of your head)

The “Main Hoon Hero Tera” Song Video

What can I say? It makes me happier than pretty much anything else I have ever watched. The best is of course the moment when he dramatically removes his glasses so he can look the microphone straight in the eye, but bowing the enormous imaginary violin is also good, and the little triumphal hand raise at the end. Really, one of the greatest performances (in terms of entertainment value) Salman has ever done.

Advertisements

39 thoughts on “A Dozen Salman Khan Films Outside the Standard List

  1. Putting PKTDK in the “non-standard” list for Salman tells me that you are not a true Salman fan. πŸ™‚ But then, I had similar objections to some of the films on the non-standard list for SRK and Aamir, too, so I’ll let it pass. However, this film is very famous for the song Oh Oh Jaane Jaana, which was/is highly popular. Similarly you are probably the only one who never heard of Judwaa until the remake.

    Anyway, the real point I wanted to make was that the second half of PKTDK was copied pretty shamelessly by Prabhu Deva in his Telugu film NVNV (sorry I don’t feel like typing out the full title). Most people online (especially non-desis) incorrectly ascribe the “inspiration” to MPK, but here I think it’s only because they are not aware of PKTDK.

    And, while you may feel that Jaaneman is very well known just because you talk it up all the time, it is in fact one of Salman’s lesser known or “better forgotten” films, so it belongs on this list, too.

    I’m surprised you actually found and watched Sangdil Sanam. πŸ™‚ I would prefer to see it being replaced by Veergati, another film (like Love) with a deep social message, and still talked about as one of his most memorable performances (and incidentally disproving your claim that Salman only started doing action films after 2010).

    Liked by 2 people

    • I can tell you I had at least one 20 year old commentator here who had never heard of/seen Judwaa until the remake. I had seen it, thanks to watching every Hindi film available on DVD back in the early 2000s, but it really didn’t get much discussion or airplay for the past 10 years until the remake. As I said, Salman is hard! He has these big hits, and then he reinvents himself and every forgets about the films from earlier in his career because they don’t fit the “new” Salman. I’m still irritated when I see references to Salman as “always” doing the same thing, meaning he is always an action star. Only for the past 10 years! Before that, he was completely different! But clearly no one remembers his earlier films or the earlier Salman, if they think he always only did action.

      Yep, I know about the Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya remake issues. I couldn’t remember how to spell it either, so I didn’t write it out, but I think I refer to the original film in my PKTDK review. I know I watched and really liked it. I decided not to include JEM, just because I thought everyone was probably sick of it, I talk about it so much.

      Sangdil Sanam is I think the only “so bad it’s good” film on this list, I thought there should be one truly out there but still approachable option. It’s got a simple easy to follow plot, and some really fun set pieces, and is a good example of the kind of crazy stuff Salman was doing in the 90s when he was making 5 films a year. I considered one of his two Sridevi films instead, but both of those plots were a little more complicated.

      On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • Well, twenty year olds. Some of them say “Who is Amitabh Bachchan?” πŸ™‚

        What PKTDK remake issues? I was saying (spelling it out this time) that the Telugu film Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana copied a lot from the second half of Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya, but it wasn’t a “remake”, either officially or unofficially. (Just like he copied a very famous scene from Bringing Up Baby in the same film).

        Well, if you wanted a truly out there film, I’m surprised you didn’t include Suryavanshi. πŸ™‚ But since you included Sangdil Sanam, I feel I must also mention Maajhdaar, which, along with Khamoshi — the Musical, completes Salman’s films with Manisha. It also has the distinction of being written by his father, the only one of his films to have that credit.

        I couldn’t stand Chal Mere Bhai for it’s sloppy story telling, but you might enjoy Kahin Pyaar Na Ho Jaaye, another uneven film, but it is a remake of The Wedding Singer, and several people like it.

        Like

  2. I was curious what movies you’ll include because Salman career is strange. I still remember the kind of movies he was doing when I started watching hindi films: No Entry, Kyon Ki, Saawan, Partner, Yuvvraj. One worse than other, and I thought he is finished. Then I stopped watching indian movies, and when I came back he was the most succesful star with Bajrangi Bhaijaan, Dabangg, Kick.

    Like

    • I think he has had the most up and down career of all the Khans. Aamir was up, and then down, and then up again. Shahrukh is down right now for basically the first time. But Salman has been up-down-up-down-up-down. It makes me respect him a lot, that he just keeps his head down and keeps working and making movies and trusts it will come back again.

      On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 11:39 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

      • Salman’s “up and down” career is another myth, like his suddenly becoming an action star. He started with a streak of six consecutive hits (MPK, of course, being a blockbuster), which no other young hero had at that time (till now that Varun broke it with something like eight successes in a row). He was never “down”, though the six hits were followed by more average successes, till HAHK happened. He has consistently had the highest grossing film of the year for most year during this time, and frequently had the top two films of the year, culminating in 1998, where I think he had the top three. Around this time was when his breakup with Aishwarya and subsequent legal troubles started, so there was a lot of negative press on him for many years. Because most people just remember that negativity, they tend to assume that his films were financially in trouble also. While he didn’t have big hits after 1999 for a few years, Tere Naam gave the biggest opening of any film till that time in 2003. This was around the time I was just getting into Hindi films, so I really didn’t appreciate what this meant. Similarly, I think in 2004 or 2005, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi was the highest grosser, and in 2007, he had the highest grosser with Partner. (As late as 2006 or 2007, I was still reading articles in Bollywood Hungama and other sites about how Salman was the most consistent star, and still had all Indian territories guaranteed. This was at the time when SRK was the undisputed overseas king.) Then 2008 was a washout, and in 2009 he “came back” with Wanted. Dabangg came in 2010, and he’s been on a roll ever since.

        Similarly, there is a myth about SRK’s “domination” of the box office during the 1990’s and 2000’s, while the reality is that he was always behind Salman in the 90’s (he himself said so in several interviews of the time; it was after that he started his “I’m number 1!” statements). Of course he was always “one of the top” during this period, but not number 1. In 2000 and 2005 (or 2006) Hrithik had the year’s top grosser, with Kaho Na Pyaar Hai and Dhoom 2, respectively. After Lagaan and DCH, Aamir was out of action for four years going through his divorce, and Salman with his breakup and legal cases, and that’s really the period when SRK was number one. Then in 2008 Aamir took over that spot with Ghajini, and since then it’s always been either Aamir or Salman with the top grosser, till last year.

        Sorry if that was all more than anyone wanted to read!

        Liked by 2 people

        • I love these kind of comments! Lengthy box office history is my jam.

          What you say makes complete sense to me based on my memory of following Salman’s career. I would just add that Salman is also the hardest working of the Khans, which means he has had more flop films in total than the other two, because he’s made more films just in general than the other two. I got into the films around the same time you did, and I remember Tere Naam and Mujshe Shaadi Karoge being big deals. Not like Kal Ho Na Ho, which everyone obsessed over, or Main Hoon Na, or Dil Chahta Hai. But solid films that everyone watched and enjoyed.

          Like

          • Ha! That “Anonymous” was me, Moimeme. I thought I had filled in all the registration data, but I guess not. Anyway, here I am, claiming credit or blame, as the case may be. πŸ™‚

            Like

          • Yeah, wordpress is being weird. I wonder if they did some sort of cleaning of the cache or something, everyone seems to be having log in issues. I know from the blog-owner side, there was a big big update and change about 4 months ago, maybe they rolled it out to the users in some way in the past few weeks.

            On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 2:40 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

            >

            Like

          • About Salman’s flops, it should also be noted that he has done way more films for family/friends/acquaintances who just wanted to take advantage of his stardom, than any other star. If you remove all those kind of “obligation” films, he doesn’t have as many flops. Plus, critics count “his” films differently. For example, Raja Sen at the time of Saawariya’s release kept insisting that it be counted as Salman’s flop, because Bhansali used his name for all the publicity, despite the fact that he was only on screen for about 10 or 15 minutes. Similarly, people count Saawan – The Love Season (a film he did out of obligation to one of his early producers who had fallen into debt) as “his” flop, where again he had an extended cameo, while the story featured two newcomers who were being launched with this film.

            The only comparable flop for the others is the film Yeh Lamhe Judaai Ke (or something) which many people think is SRK’s film. It started out that way, then the producer ran out of money and the filming came to a halt. Several years later, he tried to get SRK (and Raveena?) to honor their original contract, while the two had become much bigger stars in the meantime (with much higher compensation). The producer even tried to sue them.The case was thrown out of court, and SRK and Raveena or whoever the heroine was, issued public statements dissociating themselves from the film, and warning the public not to go see it thinking they would be in it. Alas, even so, many people still think it is an SRK film and complain about how bad it is. Well, duh.

            Like

          • It’s also because he is so good about promoting the movies and letting people use his name. Shahrukh did a similar role in Dulhan Mil Gaya, but didn’t set aside time to promote the film or anything, and no one thought of it as a “Shahrukh” movie. But Salman will actually do things to help with the films that he has just a small part in.

            On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 6:13 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

            >

            Like

  3. Thank you so much for posting this! Salman is really hard! Even though I did not completely agree with about 50% of your list, I really enjoyed reading your explanations for why you included the movies you did.

    While I generally enjoy Salman and find him to be one of the most entertaining actors, I cannot, CANNOT, get behind Lucky! Sneha was barely 18 when it was being filmed and Salman was almost 40. Yuck yuck yuck!

    Anyways, on to movies I would have included that are outside of the normal list (with the focus being on romance, fun, and nothing too sad) include: Ek Ladka Ek Ladki (remake of Overboard and so so cute); Chand Ka Tukda (so silly and fun. Why don’t they make movies like this anymore); Kurbaan (what can I say, I am a sucker for these OTT Romeo-Juliet type movies but with a happy ending. Plus this and Jo Jeeta, which came out the year after, made me fall in love with Ayesha Jhulka); Patthar ke phool (While this was a hit when released, it is rarely talked about anymore. This is the first time Salman plays a cop, it is Raveena’s debut, and it has one of my favorite songs of all time, Kabhi Tu Chhalia Lagta Hai); God Tussi Great Ho (it was not commercially successful when it came out but it is still really silly and entertaining).

    Liked by 1 person

    • I love Lucky! If you pretend Salman really is the college kid he is playing, it is hardly creepy at all. And it’s so whole-heartedly ridiculous and over the top romantic.

      All of those movies sound great, I have to confess that part of my choices was just based on what I had seen. I’ve seen plenty of his movies that aren’t on this list, but there are also loads of his that I haven’t seen at all. I think I saw Chand Ka Tudka years ago and the plot got me all confused. I enjoyed it, but I had to kind of let go of any attempt to follow along. I don’t think I’ve seen any of the others you mention, they all sound great!

      On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 11:49 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • Salman really isn’t a college kid in Lucky. He was definitely an adult who was all done with school and ready to take on the world. That was actually part of the plot. Because he is an “older” man (though he was supposed to be 25, not 35), he holds off on encouraging Sneha, thinking she just has a school kid’s crush on him (which she does, to begin with). Then they both mature and grow into a deeper relationship.

        Like

    • I love ELEL; Margaret should like it, it’s a really cute romance. Chand Ka Tukda is okay, but about 40% into the movie, it suddenly jettisons everything that came before and becomes SRIDEVI’s movie. I wouldn’t have minded if it was that way from the start, but the abrupt switch in the storyline really jarred on me. I saw Kurbaan in my quest to track down as many of Salman’s as I could. It is part of a series of films that were made around that time, where Salman is not exactly the main “hero” — an older actor is also there to carry the burden of the story (usually some kind of revenge plot) while Salman and the heroine can be the cute young things in love. Others of this ilk are Nischay and Jaagruthi, both with Karisma, and Sanam Bewafa (I think — a film that is so non-standard that even Wiki doesn’t list it in his filmography! But it exists, as I used to have the dvd). All of these along with films like Dil Tera Aashiq (with Madhuri), Yeh Hai Jalwa (Ameesha Patel), Janam Samjha Karo (Urmila) are perfectly enjoyable and entertaining films that are always good for a relaxing watch. Bandhan is a little less polished, but a good family drama. Until I found out later that it was a remake of a Telugu film, it drove me completely crazy because the village setting and extras, and to some extent the story, were so clearly SOUTHERN that all the people speaking in Hindi created a great cognitive dissonance in me. πŸ™‚

      Like

      • Oh how could I have forgotten to include Saman Bewafa?! It has one of my favorite songs, Oh Hare Dupatte Wali. Although, I think my favorite character in the movie might be the horse. Also, I just checked and it is currently on YouTube but I think I would only reccomend it to hardcore Salman fans or those that like the OTT Romeo/Juliet type love stories with a happy ending of course.

        I was going to include Dil Tera Aashiq on list but the only reason I didn’t is because I remember Margaret not liking, One2Ka4 because of how mean ShahRukh was to the children and I felt like DTA had a lot more cruelty towards the children. Yeh Hai Jalwa I found entertaining, but I feel like many people find Ameesha Patel really annoying unless she is purposely playing a ditz. Finally, for some reason, when I first watched Janam Samjha Karo, I remember not liking it, but I don’t remember why. But given your comment, I will watch it again this weekend and see if I have changed my mind or at least try to remember why I wasn’t a fan when I first watched it.

        Like

        • I loved the horse in Sanam Bewafaa and was truly shocked at his fate. 😦

          In Dil Tera Ashiq, since it’s not Salman who’s being mean to the kids, maybe Margaret won’t mind? And, to further entice her, I will say that this movie is memorable for me for Salman’s orgasm scene. πŸ™‚

          Janam Samjha Karo is somewhat like English Babu Desi Mem, in that it is really Urmila’s story rather than Salman’s, and that story is somewhat “old-fashioned,” or at least a staple of older films.

          I don’t have anything to say on Ameesha. I’ve only seen her in three films — Kaho Na Pyar Hai, where I thought she was fine, but obviously was overshadowed by Hrithik; Gadar, where I was impressed by her acting; and Yeh Hai Jalwa, where again she was good enough, but the focus for me was Salman.

          Like

          • 90s Salman was all kinds of sweet. Reading all these movie names bring back so much memory. Jeet is not in the list. PKTDK & Oh Oh Jaane Jaana is kinda iconic. Folks still imitate the shirtless with guitar look & the hook step.Even Har Dil Jo Pyaae Karega isnt that obscure courtesy the songs & Rani-Preity. Hello Brother with Salman as a ghost with a weird laugh & Rani in totally absurd costumes.

            Like

    • When he has the right director and the right script, he can really be something special. But he does a lot of movies as favors or whatever that don’t have the right director or the right script. But oh man is Bajrangi Bhaijaan good!

      On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 7:42 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  4. The ‘Oh oh jaane jana’ song from PKTDK was the first time Salman appeared shirt less and the look became so popular that till date Salman has to appear shirt less in at least one scene each movie.
    And in my opinion ‘Saathiya tune kya kiya’ is one of the best romatic songs ever. So you shouldn’t skip it.

    Liked by 1 person

    • A lot of people, you and Yjbasu above being among them, say that this is the first time Salman appeared shirtless on screen. I was going to say that myself, but I remembered that he actually has a shirtless scene in MPK itself! (the “I love what?” scene). So I refrained.

      But yes, this song is usually credited as creating the furore that resulted in Salman being identified with “shirtlessness”, and being obligated to have such a scene in all his films thereafter (Chori Chori Chupke Chupke being one where he doesn’t oblige — btw, should that film also be included here, or is it on the “standard” list?)

      Like

      • I decided CCCC is on the “standard” list partly because it was super successful, but also because it was one of the first films to get a wide DVD release and it’s still easily available streaming.

        On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 5:17 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

        >

        Like

  5. So excited to see this post!

    I was quietly hoping to see Bandhan make it to this list but then again that film falls under action genre which is the “standard” Salman action films. I like most of the films that you have put up on this list but I’m sure this list can be a very subjective one as I know some people actually don’t like most of the films that’s on this list. Maybe there can be a short description at the start of this post to indicate what makes a “standard list” πŸ™‚

    Like

    • Why on earth do you think Bandhan falls into the “action” genre? Yes, there’s a big fight at the end, as there was in most films of that era — remember DDLJ? But the rest of the film, and even that fight, was about the family drama. I would even go as far as to say, if you liked Salman as the simple guy with a good heart in Bajrangi, you will like him here, too.

      Like

    • This list could have easily been 3 times as long. Salman has just made SO MANY FILMS. I picked the ones I had seen/liked.

      On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 12:55 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • I have an idea. How about making a list of Salman’s films to be absolutely avoided? I can think of a few. πŸ™‚ (almost all “obligation” films, as you will discover by paying attention to the credits).

        Like

          • Ha ha, yes you, could do it for all the people you did the non-standard lists for.

            But the reason I suggested that (yeah it was me, forgot to log in again) is that I found many, many non-desi Bollywood bloggers a few years ago, almost all of whom were SRK fans, and hated Salman. That would be fine, but then they almost all, invariably, would choose to review a Salman film — usually proclaimed by, “See, I watched one film of his to be fair, and it was horrible, so I was right!” The strange thing was that the one film of Salman they watched would be so obscure, that I wondered how they had even heard about it, never mind find it to watch. Needless to say, the reason those films were obscure was that they were among his turkeys, which even the most rudimentary research would have warned them away from. Were they deliberately looking for his terrible films?

            Anyway, Salman has many films which are a perfectly good entertaining watch, while not being earthshaking (that’s how I would characterize pretty much all the films on this list). Then he has the classic, “must watch” films, and some “never watch” films, usually done under obligation. Although I must say that the one film that really was done under threat by the underworld actually turned out to be pretty good (CCCC).

            Like

          • The “perfectly good entertaining watch” was the sweet spot I was going for with this list. Assuming everyone already knows about CCCC and Maine Pyar Kiya and Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Hum Aapke Hain Koun and so on, this is the list for the other movies that aren’t as good but are still decent. I was thinking about it from the side of “Now that you have seen all the general films and still want to watch others, here are some decent ones”. But you are so right, much more important than “here are some decent films” is a list of “Here are the films you should absolutely avoid!” Not just for Salman but for all the big stars, they’ve got some real turkeys that could turn you off forever if you watch them in the wrong order.

            On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 8:42 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

            >

            Like

          • I hate hindi Kick so much, that I think I will avoid movies with this word in the title till I die πŸ˜‰
            Oh, and I have another movie everybody should avoid: Shaadi Karke Phas Gaya Yaar

            Like

          • @Angie — Please give Telugu Kick a chance. It just make you angrier about Hindi Kick, but other than that, I think you will enjoy it. The heroine’s character is completely different, as is her intended fiance, and these two characters were what made the original so appealing to me.

            I totally agree about SKPGY — it’s another “obligation” film. The only thing to like about it are Salman’s and Shilpa’s performances. But all the time I was wishing they could be in the service of a better movie.

            Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.