Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me While I Am on Vacation?

Happy Monday! I’m especially happy because I am still on vacation. Which also means that I might be slightly slow to respond to your questions today, but I will get to it eventually.

Ask me whatever the heck you want! About anything, at any point this week. Just keep swinging back to this post as you want to through out the week and ask anything.

Oh, and I have a question for you! What story would you write based on this truly wonderful headline (so good, even the dog is interested)?

Bonus question, what one movie streaming should I watch with my parents? Current options I am thinking about are:

Sui Dhaaga

Stree

Ek Ladki Ko Dekha

18 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me While I Am on Vacation?

1. There’s this Pakistani movie called Cake (available on Netflix) if you’re interested in that. I haven’t seen the full movie so can’t comment on that, but the trailer on YouTube looked pretty interesting.

I’ve noticed that the Pakistani film industry seems to be just taking off, and I was wondering if maybe you’d consider doing a 101 on Pakistani vs. Hindi/Indian film? I just find that interesting considering that the partition had a pretty big impact on the artists who started up the Mumbai film industry, and subsequent “bans” from both sides seem to continue some strange form of relationship between the two countries.

• I don’t know enough about the history of the Pakistani film industry to really write a post on it. On the other hand, maybe writing a post would be impetus to learn!

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 1:37 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Now that we’re halfway through the year, what movies are you most excited for that are supposed to come out in the next six months? I’m looking forward to The Zoya Factor the most in Hindi. In Telugu I have a list of movies I’m excited about such as Dear Comrade, Oh Baby!, Venky Mama, etc.

• Oh, good question! Hmmm. I seem to have terrible taste, because most of the movies I was excited about have now been moved into “rescheduled” limbo. No Drive, no Jaberiya Jodi, and Mental Hai Kya and Super 30 both have weirdness going on around them.

Zoya Factor, sure. Saaho, I am just eager to get it over with! I went from excitement to despair to dread, and now I want to watch it and know once and for all how bad it is going to be. In a similar way, I am eager to get 83 over with because I am sick of the endless stories around the making of it, seems like there is a new one every day. Article 15 looks to be a really good movie, but more dark than fun. Oh, I know two I am sincerely excited about! Good News with Akshay and Kareena and Kiara and Diljit, and Arjun Patiala with Diljit and Kriti.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 1:45 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh yeah, what happened to Drive? It was supposed to come out like two years ago but it’s been delayed so many times.

I feel like Saaho’s gonna end up being a disappointment. I don’t know how good the movie will be but I just have a gut feeling that it won’t do that well in terms of money.

Isn’t 83 coming out next year? Also how many movies does Ayushmann have coming out this year?

Both Good News and Arjun Patiala sound interesting so far.

• No, not another year of “83 promos!!!!!! I feel like if I actually remembered 1983/cared about Cricket/cared about Indian sports, then every little detail that leaks out would be fascinating to me. But since none of those things are true, I am just finding it progressively irritating. Like that parent who won’t stop talking about their baby.

I just saw an anonymous article about Drive saying that the movie is just not good and Karan doesn’t want to risk damaging his Dharma brand by releasing it. But on the other hand to scrap the film would be horrible for the director’s career. So he is just announcing “delays” instead of that he canceled the release.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 5:22 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I just looked it up and 83 is supposed to come out in April next year. There’s still a long time to go.

Oh that really sucks. Then maybe they should just release it soon next to the biggest movie possible so it gets washed out by the star power and then the Dharma brand won’t get hit that much.

• Yeah, you’re right, they should have released it opposite Kalank. Or announce it for 15 August opposite Saaho. You and I should be running Dharma!!!!!

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 9:31 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• No, releasing it opposite Saaho would be a really bad idea in my opinion. People will make it into a Hindi vs. Telugu industry clash and then the failure of Drive would be even more magnified. The talk around the movie would be that Telugu movies are so much better than Hindi movies because Drive was so bad compared to Saaho.

Looking at the current announced release dates, I think it would be a good idea to release Drive on December 13. That’s a week after Panipat and a week before Dabangg 3. Both of those movies are fairly big and Drive would just slip under the cracks.

• Yes! Perfect! We should write to Karan.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• They already saw and loved Notebook, I was thinking maybe Stree because they also saw and loved A Gentleman.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 2:16 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I just rewatched Stree on Netflix, and after having seen A Gentleman last year also on streaming. The influences from A Gentleman are really obvious in the first half! They basically do a very urban edit in the first half of Stree, like urban music and quicker cuts, but in a commercial way, not an indie way (not like manmarziyaan) if that makes sense. You don’t notice it in A Gentleman as much because the edit fits the setting – a fast paced Miami. But in Stree it really pops because it’s so incongruous to the village setting. But it makes the village setting and the band of friends feel very fun and exciting and modern in its own right.

• Oh that’s really interesting!

I ended up watching Ek Ladki Ko Dekha with my parents last night and got frustrate all over again with how it was labeled a “multiplex” film purely because of the subject matter, when in every other way it is single screen. Songs, bright colors, family based plot, and so on. And then Stree I guess is the opposite, everyone saw the village setting and said “single-screen” but in fact the way it was treated was very multiplex.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 6:14 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Chopsticks is family fun. I watched it currently visiting relatives: some older female cousins, their 40’ish daughter and her teenage son. Usually they zone out after the first half hour or so, but everybody paid attention and liked it.

As to the missing yacht? Mmmm…will give it some thought. Right now, Cousin Winsome (she weighs a gorgeous 200 lbs) has commandeered my kitchen for lunch. Flames and hot peppers are flying everywhere.

4. Recently somebody on twitter asked which actor/actress in the last 5 years made the best choices when it comes to movies. I follow one die-hard Sushant fan and he, of course, answered SSR. I’m thinking about it now, and it’s true – Sushant chooses interesting movies, one different from another, but for some reason, it doesn’t work. What do you think?

• That’s really interesting! And true, I like all of Sushant’s movies. Maybe it is because he picks good scripts, but also obviously commercial scripts? Ayushmann, for instance, has done less variety in the past 5 years (nothing like the swing from period detective movie to sports biopic to fantastical romance that SSR did), but has taken riskier more out there scripts and so has gotten more credit for his choices.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:39 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: