Finally, a weekend when I am sincerely excited about the release! A nice happy rom-com, how lovely.

Happy Monday! This is where you can ask me anything at all about anything at all for the rest of the week. Any time you want to bring up something off topic and ask me about it, just swing back here and I’ll help you out.

Now, question for you! Is anyone else excited about Jabariya Jodi? Or should I go watch the Sonakshi Sinha sex therapist comedy instead? Here’s the two trailers to help you decide:

32 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions Post: What Do You Want to Ask Me the Week Jabariya Jodi Comes Out?

• Yeah, I just saw. Means my weekend has opened up, but I’m also disappointed.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 7:29 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Mhh I find it interesting, especially because I still remember how Ekta explained why this Kangana’s film must release the same day as Super 30, and there are no other dates. Any clues why it was postponed?

• I can’t see anything. Sonakshi’s movie is coming out this week, but it’s not really competition. I think next week is empty, but I’m not sure. Only thing that I can think of that has changed recently is Saaho moving to August 30th. Maybe they think they have a better chance now at the Independence Day weekend with Saaho no longer in competition?

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 7:50 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I admire their faith that Parineeti Chopra’s movie can run more than 1 week 😉

I just checked and 9th August strange movie called Chicken Curry law releases (what a stupid title, and it’s about rape) . I saw the trailer, and there is this girl with THE WORST DIALOGUE DELIVERY EVER. I was curious who she is and she is some Polish beauty queen! Unbelievable.

• Okay, well I definitely won’t be debating between Jabariya and that movie on August 9th!

I admire their faith as well! And wonder if it is more of a “this poor movie needs all the help it can get, let’s give it the best possible release date” issue. This last minute switch definitely feels like they expecting more of a “arrive at the movie theater and see what is playing” audience than a “had the release date circled in red on our calendar, looking forward to it” audience.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 8:47 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• According to this story they didn’t want to compete with Kabir Singh, Super 30, The Lion King and Judgementall Hai Kya, which are all doing well, and were asked my exhibitors to switch dates. https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/bollywood/story/parineeti-chopra-and-sidharth-malhotra-s-jabariya-jodi-postponed-to-avoid-clutter-at-box-office-1574687-2019-07-29.

Also, I am out of town this weekend, and was worried as Angie said, that this movie would have a shelf life of approximately one week. So I am happy to it is postponed to a weekend when I can actually see it.

• Yeah, me too! I was going to have to run around squeezing it in, and next weekend will be much easier.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 9:04 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. When is your next Hindi movie night with friends or newbies?

I’m glad you’ve enjoyed one movie at least, and have another to look forward to. JHK sounds like a definite wait til it’s streaming one.

Hey, could you please tag the “Shahrukh’s smiles” post with the Shahrukh Summer tag? Right now it’s uncategorized and I had a heck of a time finding it. Also, I just got deja vu. Have I asked you something similar to this before?

Ugh, Mondays.

• I have a new coworker who is interested in seeing a movie, so YAAAAY! I just have to figure out a time. Maybe this Friday, now that Jabariya Jodi is rescheduled. That might be fun! I’m also thinking about suggesting Dear Comrade to her, since it is playing at the theater right by the office, and it is so ridiculous and enjoyable.

Dear Comrade I enjoyed as well in a kind of “this is a totally ridiculous romantic fantasy” way. If you feel like watching a ridiculous romantic fantasy, check it out! And then Arjun Patiala is just straight up enjoyable and I already made a date with a friend to see it a second time tonight.

Agree, Ugh Mondays. My brain is not working well. So this might be a good day for me to clean up my Shahrukh Summer tags!

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:15 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Also, have you seen the hubbub on SRKian Twitter over the weekend? A superfan posted this status and there have been 1,000s of quotes and replies.

Kind of nice, but there has been a bit of the usual Twitter weirdness and negativity around it too. Apparently “Sco pa tu manaa” is a nonsense phrase from a song which on Twitter means “what’s your opinion about this?” Whatever.

I didn’t reply because my opinion of Shah Rukh is too hard to sum up in a tweet. But it was fun reading others replies or quotes.

• Alisa I think commented that #WeMissSRKonthebigscreen or something like that was trending too.

I have to think this is coordinated. Either SRK’s team put out the word to the official fan groups to start SRK stuff trending, or the official fan groups just started it up on their own. I’ll be interested to see if it keeps up, social media trending instead of actual news to keep his name fresh. Or maybe this is the slow buzz build to soften the stage for some kind of announcement?

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:20 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• No, it was started by frustrated fans. In fact, Universe, the actual fan club that has ties to SRK was demanding that people stop the trend because SRK doesn’t want it. It led to fights in the fandom with people disowning Universe and claiming they’re getting too big for their britches and willy nilly using SRK’s name for no reason. SRK does have ties to Universe – they get some passes to events and occasional merchandise and SRK meets up with some of them on his birthday. But them claiming to be so close that SRK is running his media strategy through them and giving them diktats is hard to believe.

So because of the fandom fight, some people were trending the Miss You tag and others weren’t.

The sco pa maa thing (or whatever it’s called) was also started by a fan. Other people did the same for other actors but they were either ignored like for Aamir (which is expected – he really has no fan base) or got negative comments like for Salman. Either way they didn’t have wide reach.

But the SRK one went really viral not just with thousands of replies but some of the replies themselves got massive coverage.

This tweet has 57K retweets and 82K likes.

Another one with 13K retweets and 30K likes

There was hundreds of replies like that which went viral and they were mostly non-Indians or NRIs. I think this sco pa ma thing went accidentally viral because it got picked up by foreign twitter and people that don’t usually tweet about BW.

As for SRK himself, he seems to be in his own world. He went on a short vacation in the Maldives, came back and met up at Karan Johar’s house with other producers and studio heads and today he visited the set of Betaal which has started shooting. Next week he should be in Australia for the film festival and to pick up his doctorate. In September, he will probably be in NY to help set up Suhana in NYU so it’s highly unlikely he will start any work anytime soon.

At this rate, I would be shocked if he made any movie announcements all year.

• Wouldn’t it be interesting if he just retired from acting without announcing it? I’d be very sad of course, but I would also find it kind of amazing if he just quietly continued running Red Chillies and doing international interviews and so on and never went back to acting, but without the big bells and whistles of announcing his retirement or his “last film” or any of that.

2. If you haven’t seen Ratsasan(tamil) yet, there is a Telugu-fied remake of that coming next week starring, south India’s Varun/Tiger version. Probably they made it into “feel good” serial killer story 🙂

• Have you seen Ek Villain? It’s Hindi, but it is another “feel good” serial killer movie. The ending makes me giggle every time I think about it.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:38 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Haven’t seen, liked its songs though; probably need to check it out if this is the premise… being an admirer of Imran Hashmi, i don’t think anybody can play “anti-hero” more convincingly than him , apart from SRK of course.

• Ek Villain is definitely not a great movie, just kind of interesting how they flip the story around to make it happier. And the songs are good.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 12:03 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Ek Villain is Mary Popins in comparison to Ratchasan.Ratchasan is a creep fest & very disturbing to watch.No wonder it was a big hit in Tamil Nadu & Kerala.Cant imagine the happy-ending-loving Telugu audience liking it,but wont be surprised if they find young girls dying the most horrifying death,accompanied by creepy music, dark and edgy and applaud it.

3. We know that Karan and Dharma haven’t had good success with remaking regional movies (Ok Jaanu, Dadhak) in Hindi and I mostly blame it on the casting decisions. If it were up to you, who would you cast in the Hindi remake of Dear Comrade?

• Taapsee would be great as the heroine, for one thing she has a face that can successfully look very young and then older. For the hero, it’s hard to think of someone who could look like a college student. But then Vijay didn’t really look like he was in college and we all kind of accepted that, so maybe I shouldn’t be worried about it. Vicky Kaushal might be good, both because he could play the role well and because his action film popularity right now would help bring in the young male audience the same way Vijay post-Arjun Reddy helped bring them in.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 10:13 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Hmm, Taapsee would be a pretty good choice! I was actually thinking of someone newer like Sara Ali Khan but I like Taapsee for the role. I feel like Alia’s gonna be Karan’s choice but I can’t see her play this role. I can’t really explain why but she doesn’t seem to fit.

Vicky is a good choice but I really like the idea of Ayushmann playing this role. It’s something different from what we’ve seen from him but I think he can pull it off. Plus it goes well with the audience expectation that every Ayushmann having a social message in it.

• Oh, yes!!!! Sara is so much better! I really like that. Ayushmann might be interesting, the hero is supposed to be angry and fighting and stuff which we really haven’t seen from Ayushmann before, but I think he could do it. And the little girl-next-door romance would be perfect for him. Although Sara also makes me think about Sushant, reuniting the Kedarnath team.

• Yeah, we haven’t really seen Ayushmann fighting before but I feel like he could do it as well.

By the way, what happened to Sushant? I feel like he hasn’t had a movie come out in forever.

• I just checked, he had Sonchariya which got great reviews and not much box office and he has the Fault in Our Stars movie, and a kind of interesting looking multi-starrer with Shraddha Kapoor (blech). It’s odd, I think he is super super talented, and yet somehow his films never seem to click and he is running out of time to really make it big.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 10:35 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I follow one crazy Sushant’s fan on twitter, and he (she? I’m not sure) was twitting Karan like crazy that Sushant should be in Dear Comrade. But in my opinion, Karan will hire Vijay Devarakonda, and who knows if not opposite Janhvi? She said she likes him and want to work with him.

• I like Vijay, but it’s a big risk jumping industries. No one knows him in Hindi, if it doesn’t work out he could squander time and goodwill for his growing Telugu career.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 12:03 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Thinking of newer girls reminded me of SOTY2. Do you think Tara Sutaria or Ananya Pandey have a real future in the industry? I know both of them signed second movies even before SOTY2 came out but do you think either of them will last.

• Ananya maybe. She had more star power and ability in SOTY2 and I keep seeing little news stories about her. It all depends on the second film, if she can make it once the novelty of being new has worn off. Heck, this could be a decent choice for her. If she can make the heroine charming and get through all the high emotion scenes, it will really show she has what it takes. But if she can’t, the whole film will be a disaster and probably kill her career. Trial by fire.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 10:38 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote: