Shahrukh Summer Discussion Post: Rank Shahrukh’s Heroines!

Oh boy, this should be fun! I feel like maybe we did it already at some point, but even if we did, it is worth revisiting.

I’m gonna limit this to just actresses he was with in 2 or more movies. I’ll give you a song or scene as a little chemistry test, and then you have to rank them! Or at least your top 2 or 3 or 4 or 5.

Divya Bharti

Preity Zinta

Priyanka Chopra

Deepika Padukone

Anushka Sharma

Sushmita Sen

Katrina Kaif

Okay, you ready for my top 5? In order of best to worst?

Kajol

Juhi

Rani Mukherjee

Anushka

Preity Zinta

What’s your ranking?

27 thoughts on “Shahrukh Summer Discussion Post: Rank Shahrukh’s Heroines!

• I went through a similar thought process! But then there’s Veer-Zaara where they were definitely paired together. And Kal Ho Na Ho they were mostly paired, had love scenes and all that, far more than Aish and Shahrukh in Josh where they were just siblings. And of course I love Ishq Kameena! Only, they aren’t officially paired in that movie so I decided I couldn’t include it.

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 6:16 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I have to admit, I cheated and had Shahrukh’s filmography up in front of me when I came up with this list.

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 6:24 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Lol, i would like to know your thoughts about debuts of some big actresses in Indian/south cinema, Like Preity/Mahesh babu(Rajakumarudu) , Katrina(Malliswari) , Aishwarya (Jeans) etc.. That would be fun article.

• I think the only one of those I’ve seen is Iruvar with Aish. We were just talking on another post how much easier Aish is to take in southern movies when her dialogue is dubbed.

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 6:31 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• For slightly older ones – can add Tabu, Vidya Balan, Divya Bharati, etc. I will not go back to Sridevi, Jayaprada, etc.!

1. Kajol
    Anushka (really just based on JHMS)
    Deepika
    Aishwarya

I want to say Priyanka but I just can’t tolerate her in any way so I pretend she doesn’t exist. But I think there was copious chemistry.

• Really? No Juhi or Rani?

I feel the same way about PC. Great chemistry in their two movies (and two cameos). But so unpleasant a person I can’t enjoy it.

• I’m not a huge fan of Juhi- don’t get mad lol. Something about her body movements is odd to me. They seem unnatural together to my eye. And I think Rani is gorgeous but I don’t like her that much w SRK…

2. Juhi
    Rani
    Anushka
    Kajol
    Preity

Hon mention: Manisha Koirala just for Dil Se.

I like him with all of them, though. I based my ranking on chemistry and acting abililty. He has awesome chemistry with Deepa for example, but the woman can not act for beans.

• He really is great at creating chemistry with anyone. And unique chemistry, it doesn’t feel like he is just going through the motions of romance with each actress, but like he is actually connecting with them.

Isn’t it amazing how Anushka climbed up the list? I remember when Rab Ne came out, I liked her fine, but it was hardly my favorite part of the movie. And with Jab Tak I liked them together better than Kat, but that’s not saying much. And then JHMS built on that and brought it to a whole different level. And even in Zero, they had something there. I wouldn’t have thought chemistry would be something that could grow between an actor and an actress over time, but I guess so!

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 10:36 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I just talked about how interesting it was how Anushka has climbed the list over time as her chemistry improved over time, but isn’t it interesting how Deepika has moved down? I liked her fine with Shahrukh in OSO, and then I loved them together in Chennai Express. Their chemistry in HNY was as good as it was in CE, but in the meantime his Anushka chemistry had improved so much that she knocked Deepika way down.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 3:36 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. I really liked him with both heroines – Manisha and Preity in Dil se, Deepika, Madhuri, Rani. I never thought he and Kajol were great together. Mainly because I dislike her loud style of acting.

• Okay, that works for me. I love them together in Koyla too, something about him being mute made them work. And Anjaam was insane and fun watching them go at each other. But in their straight romance movies, somehow they don’t work. Someone in the comments put it as “both Shahrukh and Madhuri could have chemistry with a tree, but the problem is neither of them si willing to be the tree”. Which makes total sense to me, when you put them both in a love scene, they just end up out-acting each other instead of responding.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 7:33 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Kajol, Juhi and Rani are at the top for me, I can’t choose between them! Anushka, Priety, Aish would be next I guess. He was fun with Sushmita and I wish he had worked with Karisma again. There’s something off when he’s with Madhuri. I don’t feel any romantic vibe between him and Deepika, it’s either respectful or disrespectful. In OSO, he admires Deepika, and later on she admires him whereas he is disinterested. Same in HNY, he is actually dismissive of her. They felt equals only in Chennai Express.

• Maybe it is something about how Farah sees Deepika that makes her films with Shahrukh unbalanced? I’d like to see Farah direct Deepika not opposite Shahrukh and see if the trend continues. I think she sees her as a young woman she is proud of for what she has achieved, but also a bit still the teenage girl she discovered, makes it hard for her to direct her opposite Shahrukh as an equal. Anushka and Shahrukh had a similar disfunctional feeling to me in JTHJ, which was a return to the same producer/director who discovered them as a couple. But once they moved on to new directors, that went away.

• Oh I completely agree, it’s all Farah’s doing! It took a Rohit Shetty (ugh!) to see her as his equal; she is the best part of CE.

• Seems unlikely, but I’d love to see Shahrukh and Dips opposite each other outside of the Farah world. Can you imagine how interesting Dear Zindagi would have been with Dips as the lead instead of Alia?

5. Top 5 would be
    Kajol
    Rani
    Preity
    Juhi
    Aishwarya

I actually haven’t seen his films with Priyanka but I think that if they had done a proper romance it would have had good chemistry. I mean I even prefer this pic more https://www.india.com/buzz/priyanka-chopra-romancing-shah-rukh-khan-couldve-saved-jab-harry-met-sejal-at-bo-see-picture-to-believe-it-2417423/amp/

But I haven’t seen jab harry met Sally so I don’t know

Anyway him and Kajol create the best chemistry hands down, the best all rounded romance filled with friendship and love

But when it comes to just a “lustful romance” I think that definitely goes to Rani. Their chemistry feels very fiery.

Love him with Preity and Juhi too, and I put Aishwarya as 5th cause they had good chemistry in all of those Devdas songs also I would have loved to see more of them together in ADHM

His chemistry with the 90s and early 2000s actresses is so much better than the ones of today (for me)

I’ve never felt any strong chemistry between him and Deepika or Anushka (in rnbdj) or Kareena, it’s all felt like it was just relying on the script, nothing you can really feel

I think he has pretty good chemistry with Manisha, Madhuri too but not at the top for me

• PC would have been a total disaster in JHMS, ugh I am cringing just thinking of it! But I agree, their chemistry is great. Just not right for that particular role and that particular film.

Agree about his chemistry with the earlier actresses. Although at least for me, his chemistry with Anushka in JHMS came close to matching the 90s peak. But only her and only in that one movie.