Happy Monday! I’m home, at work, like life is normal. Even though I did this crazy two day exhausting trip over the weekend. Keep me awake and centered by asking me questions!

Here is where you get to ask me anything you want, about where to find some obscure film you are hunting for, or the backstory on a scandal, or what the best movie is of your favorite actor. Keep swinging back all week as you think of things, and I will keep answering!

Now, question for you! In honor of Bad Girls Month, who is your favorite Bad Girl character in Indian film?

This is a hard one for me! I should be able to figure it out just by looking at my list of scheduled movies, but really everyone on the list is awesome. So I’m gonna go off list, and pick Madhuri from Lajja. Sexually free before marriage, a performer, confident in her own opinions, and not afraid to be just a little bit blasphemous.

23 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me as I Recover From My DCIB Tour?

1. Never have seen Lajja, but I’ve been meaning to! For bad girls, one of the obvious choices would be the career changing role of Deepika’s in Cocktail. But here are some I like: Zeenat Aman in Don, Kangana in Fashion, just about any role that Neha Dhupia plays (the wise bad girl, been there done that roles at least), Sonam in Dolly Ki Doli (the fun bad girl), Shilpa Shukla in Chak De India, Hema Malini in Seeta aur Geeta, Kareena in Tashan, Katrina in Mere Brother Ki Dulhan, and I feel like I’m missing some obvious ones, too!

• This is an amazing list of “bad girls”! And now I want to finally watch Cocktail for this month. Oh well, there’s plenty of gaps in the schedule, I can squeeze it in if I feel like it.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 8:33 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Does Deepika in Piku count as a bad girl? I like her, he was strong and had opinions.

My question: How was the box-office of World Famous Lover?

• I think Deepika counts, seems like her close friends and family didn’t judge her as “bad”, but the rest of the world did.

And I can’t find global box office for World Famous Lover anywhere! Which says something by itself, that whoever bought the distribution rights for the US was so slapdash and inexperienced that they aren’t listed.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 9:24 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I found India box office information and it flopped badly. First day it earned 7.10 Cr, but the next day (Saturday) only 2.60 Cr and on Sunday 1.93 Cr. On Monday less than 1 Cr.
        Overseas Collection ₹ 2.50 Cr
        I shouldn’t be happy because I know many people worked on this film, but I can’t stand those movies about suffering heroes and I’m happy it was a diaster. Also only few weeks ago I was cheering for Vijay Devarakonda to become a pan India star, but now, after seeing Dear Comrade and reading about World Famous Lover, I don’t like him anymore. Hope this failure will help him become better person and smarter star.

• Or at the very least, maybe it will make Karan drop him from his planned project and pick someone better.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 2:59 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• See, I would knock out Parveen in Deewar. Because she isn’t “bad” in that she was born bad, she’s a “good” woman forced by circumstances into bad behavior. I can’t imagine Zeenat in Don keeping a wedding sari hidden in the closet because she just wants to be a housewife.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 1:19 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar finally has release date and a very quick one – 20 March. I’m excited, because I’m so curious how it will be. I know it can be bad, and certainly people will talk bad about it (they already started) but I’m positive about this film and can’t wait.

• Yaaaaay! Another bad Angie movie that Angie can watch and tell us all about! Heck, if it releases here I might even check it out. I think that is one of the few weekends when I don’t have anything planned.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 7:53 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes, please watch it! Good or most probably bad, I know you will give it a right review. Unfortunately I must wait till it be in streaming. Btw I’m really surprised this mowie wasn’t drive’d.

• Me too! I bet it was Kaalakandi’d though (my term for movies that someone really wanted to drive, but a producer or director or star held out and pushed for a real release even if it took a long time).

I’m going to be visiting a friend who also likes Indian films the next weekend, if it is fun bad instead of depressing bad it might be a good activity for us.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 8:55 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m also excited about this one, Angie! As you may remember, we share similar tastes in films and actors:) I think because it was a star director, they needed to have a theater release, but they are dropping it in a pretty low impact time of year, I think, just in case it goes nowhere. Such a shame that Arjun and Parineeti’s falling stars are impacting this! Who knows, maybe it will be better than we think!

• I really think it’s better than we think. Surely better than Namaste England (for me it was ok, because I only looked at Arjun, but I remember you didn’t like it). I haven’t seen any of Dibakar Banerjee’s films yet, but I know he is good. Also Pankaj Tripathi plays Parineeti’s father and Kanwaljit Singh Arjun’s father, I like both actors very much and find both sexy so chances I will enjoy the movie are high (yes I know, I’m very shallow).

• I have seen Detective Byomkesh Bakshy and a couple of others of his short films, but I’m not a huge fan yet of Banerjee. He’s got good ideas, but the execution is a bit odd sometimes. However, I agree, that if Arjun looks good and gives even just a decent performance, and if Arjun and Parineeti can recapture their chemistry somehow this movie will be interesting. I just watched Jabariya Jodi and didn’t hate it and then it made me think of how much I was disappointed by Namaste England (so much potential though!).

• At the very least I feel like Banarjee generally knows what he wants to say and says it, which was not the case for whoever directed Jabriya Jodi. I don’t know what went wrong there, but it was clear the director did not have a handle on things.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 9:13 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m surprised by the trailer because it’s not what I thought it would be. And I didn’t dislike Parineeti! She looks and acts like the old Pari we knew before she became pretty and decided she is too beautiful to act.

• Ha! I never thought of Parineeti’s makeover like that, but it’s true she started to coast on her “new look” instead of trying to stretch herself in her roles. There are moments in many of her films where her acting potential is clear…Ladies vs. Ricky Bhal, Ishaqzaade, Shuddh Desi Romance, Daawat-e-Ishq, and even moments of Golmaal again and the last scenes in Meri Pyaar Bindu (where she’s forced to do more with expression than words really worked for me). Notice I didn’t include HTP even though I love it. She overacted in that but it still somehow works because of the Sid pairing. I really want her to have a career changing role like Deepika did. Maybe Girl on the Train will be it. I don’t Sandeep Aur Pinky Farrar will do it, but it will at least keep her career on life support.

4. Do you have any plans to see Netflix’s Yeh Ballet? It had the Room with a View actor I lusted after as a young teen,now turned into an old man, so I had to watch it. Parts of it I thought were wonderful, but at the end I felt unfulfilled and I can’t really figure out why. I wonder how it would have been different with an Indian director. One of our computers broke, so I don’t get as much screentime anymore, but I was happy I got a whole movie in.

• Wow, Julien Sands and Jim Sarbh in the same movie! That’s kind of blowing my mind. I wasn’t planning to watch it, there are so many similar small Indian made/set movies popping up on Netflix now that I can’t keep track of them and decide what I really need to watch. Tempted just for that strange mixed cast, but probably not. It’s hard for me to make myself watch something “good” streaming when I could so easily watch something bad! And I still have to force Puli on myself tonight, and Shimla Mirchi.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 1:59 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It was a waste of Jim Sarbh, he didn’t do anything, but it was a worthwhile Julien Sands performance. And the young boys were fantastic.