Discussion Post: Give Me Things to Watch With My Parents!

I am living with my parents for…..ever? Anyway, a long time at least. What can we watch as a family of an evening?

Any ideas are welcome! To give you an idea of what I am thinking about, here are my current thoughts:

Kumbalangi Nights: Beautiful hopeful pretty movie, lots of gorgeous scenery, they really loved Sudani From Nigeria and it has a similar tone.

Image result for kumbalangi nights

Bosch: This is more for me and my Dad, but it’s manly and smart at the same time, well-made, and similar to the Jack Ryan series which he loved.

Image result for bosch tv show

Father Brown: I love Father Brown! It’s so dumb! 1950s murder mysteries in English villages, very implausible solutions, very cozy, great clothes. They liked Death in Paradise, so this feels safe.

Image result for father brown

What else do you have for me? Either lovely life affirming movies, or well-written interesting TV shows, or soothing cozies?

28 thoughts on “Discussion Post: Give Me Things to Watch With My Parents!

1. What about Dirk Gently for you and Dad? And Cadfael for cozies? Although it leans a little into the “just because it’s the middle ages doesn’t mean people didn’t have wild love affairs” thing.

• I don’t know, love affairs? Last night we did old reliable Frasier, but how long will that last us?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 8:48 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• So much so that it almost feels insulting to suggest it, you know? Maybe if I sell it as “it’s what all the cool hip young people are watching in a retro sort of way”. Although I tried that with Murder She Wrote, where it is legitimately TRUE, and they still weren’t up for it because MSW is what old people watch.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:56 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• But wouldn’t that fall into the same “but it’s what old people watch” gap as MSW?

Alternative question, were I to try MSW again, which episode should I try?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 12:33 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• lol aw, if they didn’t go for MSW they won’t go for Cadfael. But maybe they don’t realise.

Can you find MSW anywhere? There’s supposed to be a season somewhere but it’s not here.

• In America, the first 5 seasons are on Prime. And because I have my priorities straight, I recorded the entire 12 season run on my TV streaming service from reruns. I can watch any episode of MSW at any time, I am so privileged.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 1:28 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• But that one is so SCARY!!!! Sometimes too stressful even for me.

What about “If it’s Tuesday, it must be Beverly”?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 1:30 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Good point. Now I have to think of another good Cabot Cove one that isn’t too sexy. So, not the one where she has sex with Leslie Nielsen.

Also, just invest in the DVDs, you won’t regret it!

• True! And my parents want to be young and vibrant. But also not see anything dark or violent or too sexual or upsetting. Downton Abbey?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 1:53 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Are you trying MSW on them or for yourself? Maybe the first episode with the whole country house party thing? Otherwise, I think one of the ones where Jessica Fletcher reveals hidden depths to those who underestimate her.

3. Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister. I don’t think these series are streaming anywhere (though how would I know, since I don’t subscribe to any streaming service), but the dvd’s are available on Amazon. Very witty and perceptive series on the ways of politicians, governments, and bureaucracies, that transcend time and space (i.e., they may have been set in Britain of the 1970’s, but are still painfully relevant today in any country with a government and bureaucracy).

4. SarahBhai vs Sarabhai – It’s a family comedy about a middle class Punjabi girl Monisha who married into a upper class Gujarati household. She’s a bit of a dimwit who loves a bargain but has a good heart while her mother-in-law is a very put together high-society philanthropist. They pretend to dislike each other, trying to one up each other but in times of crisis they come together. The show is both hilarious and heart-warming.

filmikudhi mentioned this show in a thread a few days back, if this is something you’d like to watch. @filmikudhi – I just saw your comment. The first season was so good and is definitely the thing to watch. I still watch this show from time to time. It’s like an old, comfy blanket for me.

• Yay for Sarabhai! The show is on Hotstar. I am so curious as to whether Margaret will like it or not. If you do watch it, Margaret, get through at least the first 6-7 episodes. For context, the season is 70 episodes. Also, while I really love the show, I fastforwarded through most of the Rajesh Kumar (his character name is Rosesh)’s stuff. To me, after a while his voice was way too annoying and I didn’t really find most of his poetry funny. I might be in the minority on this feeling, but also for context, I generally don’t find Johnny Lever or that type of comedy funny either.

Other than that, Satish Shah and Ratna Patak are fanatstic in it. And As Priyanka said, it is heartwarming but also really good at displaying irony.

• I’m not PROMISING to watch it, but it’s definitely possible. Last night we watched Moana, which was a hit all around, but I don’t know how many other things there are that would be that perfectly matched to all tastes.

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 9:06 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• oh sorry. I’m a bit sleep deprived. I definitely don’t think you should watch it with your parents! For parents, I would have suggested Murder She Wrote too but since that’s out maybe a movie like Knives Out?

• They already saw Knives Out! I haven’t, I’ll see if they are willing to see it again with me.

Maybe I can tell them that Murder She Wrote is recommended by The Entire Internet and that will get them to give it a try?

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 10:58 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. I started watching Bhangra Paa Le last night, and LOVE it. It is like an 80s John Cusack movie except instead of a sport like skiing it is Bhangra Dance, and Sunny Kaushal is more beautiful than John Cusack ever was. I haven’t seen the last half hour because it Sat. morning so of course Netflix is glitchy as everyone watches something. But even if the ending sucks, the first half is so great it would be fun for families to watch together.

• Actually I’m becoming obsessed with this movie. I tried to watch Street Dancer 3D but couldn’t get past the chest make-up in the morning and longed to see more of Sunny Kaushal. So I go back to Bhangra Paa Le and keep re-watching my favorite scenes, most of which take place in the movie past.

• I really wish I could suggest other similar movies for you, but all I can think of are dumb ones!

Oh oh! Amen! Which might also be a good movie for me to watch with my parents, I need to add it to the list. Village movie, slightly magical realism, about an annual church band contest.

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 10:55 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: