Sadak 2 Trailer! Mahesh Bhatt Takes On OSHO

It finally released! And I decided it deserved it’s very own post. Generally looks like a decent movie (Mahesh could make no less), but also some interesting context.

First, I understand from the headlines I read between my fingers that Mahesh is in some kind of scandal now? If someone wants to give me a calm brief explanation of why people are mad at him in the comments, you can do that. But truly, I have no idea what it is so this post will not reference that or be related to that or anything. It’s just about this trailer, as it relates to Mahesh as a director and his ancient personal history.

Okay, Sadak 2 trailer! Pretty straight forward, Sanjay is a widower and a hired driver, Alia hires him to drive her to pick up her true love, Aditya Roy Kapoor who is being released from prison. Sanjay sympathizes with the young couple (even though he tries to hide it) and when the evil Hindi cult Godman tries to come for them, he fights to save them.

First, you need to know about Sadak! It’s a lovely film and you should all watch it. But in terms of what you need to know for this trailer, it is about a taxi driver who sees a young girl on the streets just as her uncle is selling her to a brothel. He agonizes about this because his beloved older sister was sold into a brothel and killed herself. He saves her, they are chased by the Madam (a Hijra), and finally escape. What makes it special is the gentle way they fall in love, all this darkness around them and their love is so beautiful and innocent. Just hearing the plot can’t do it justice.

Second, you need to know about Sanjay Dutt and Mahesh Bhatt. After Sanjay came back from rehab, Mahesh was the one who gave him Naam, the role that showed us the special broken tormented power of Sanjay. They worked together multiple times after that, and Sadak was probably their best collaboration after Naam. Although all their films together were solid. Mahesh is a good director, he will keep you interested in what is happening onscreen no matter what. I can see that even in this trailer, it’s not breaking new ground exactly, but I am enjoying every minute of it.

Third thing to understand, the strange bond between director and star. Sanjay and Mahesh have a great creative collaboration, but they also have a personal understanding. When they first met, Mahesh was deep in addiction and his marriage was spectacularly failing, and Sanjay had just dug his way out of addiction and was falling in love. Over the next 2 decades, Sanjay’s marriage fell apart and he lost himself again, Mahesh got clean and got remarried, Sanjay cleaned himself up and got remarried too, and now here they are at the end of things standing in the same place, two recovering addicts with a lifetime of mistakes just trying to move forward. Mahesh gets that sense of lightness in the darkness Sanjay can bring onscreen in a way no other director does, and Sanjay can convey the heaviness of failure Mahesh wants in his heroes the way no other actor can. Think of it as a little AA meeting all of their own, every time they get together.

Sadak 2: Sanjay Dutt Says Mahesh Bhatt's 'Vision Remains Unchanged ...

Fourth thing, Mahesh and OSHO and the Guru Rajneesh. When Mahesh’s life was falling apart around him, he grabbed on to the Guru Rajneesh and the community he built in Pune as a lifeline. This was a bad idea, Rajneesh was a bad leader who preyed on broken people and took and took and took. Mahesh was broken in every way and Rajneesh made it worse. The miracle is that Mahesh pulled himself out again (partly with the help of a good Guru who only gave and never took, UG Krishnamurti). But he is clearly still angry at Rajneesh, and more generally at people who promise a religious “solution” to your problems but really destroy you. Thus, this movie! Which seems to take a religious OSHO-like community as the villain who destroys all it touches.

Fifth thing, Mahesh and his daughters! Back in the 80s and 90s, Mahesh had Pooja as his star, starting when she was just a teenager. The age gap between them is very small, Mahesh married his first wife very young, and maybe he didn’t really think through what it meant to make his daughter the heroine in all his movies, to blur professional and personal. I suspect he was also just thrilled to spend time with her, to have a way to make up for the mess he made of her childhood. But with Alia, he has been hands off. Soni Razdan (his wife) is the one who managed her career early on, and she has been directed by all kinds of people now before he took a chance. Mahesh and Pooja were a great team, so it’s exciting to see what he does with his younger daughter, especially since he won’t be “molding” her in the same way he did with Pooja, she is his daughter but also an experienced actress at this point.

Bhatt family's biggest secrets Photos

All of these reasons are why I have been so excited for this trailer! I don’t think it will live up to Naam, or even Sadak 1, but I do think it will be a lovely little conclusion to Mahesh’s career, bringing together all these threads of his life. And a lovely little coda to Sanjay’s career, another chance to shine in a true lead role with a great director after years of shuffling through comic parts and overwrought action films.

Okay, what do you think?

30 thoughts on “Sadak 2 Trailer! Mahesh Bhatt Takes On OSHO

1. People are mad at Mahesh Bhatt because he is a liberal and vocal against the ruling party.This country has gone to dogs. Want me to continue?😑 Trailer didn’t impress me much. Alia saying the dialogue ‘Bhagwan hamare saath Sadak pe hain’ proves my point that her dialogue delivery is an abysmal. The movie had more of a Mohit Suri feel than Mahesh Bhatt. Also disappointed that Pooja Bhatt is restricted to photo. The one thing i was hoping for was to see a Alia & Pooja face-off. Pooja is an underrated actress.

• Well, I already knew that! He’s a good guy who is honest about himself and that makes him an easy target (see also Karan Johar, Shahrukh Khan, and on and on). His name is the headlines now though which makes me think there’s a new way he’s been attached to some story. Blech.

Also felt a little Mohit Suri to me, but better somehow. The visuals were cleaner, the characters felt more defined, I don’t know, just better. I don’t mind at all if Mahesh wants to make a Mohit Suri movie, but better.

I was disappointed to miss Pooja as well, but I am hoping/assuming she will get one spectacular flashback scene with Sanjay and that will be enough for me. Would have been nice to see her with Alia, but just seeing her with Sanjay is a treat enough.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 9:56 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I just went to YouTube to recheck the trailer. It has 3.1 Million dislikes & 185K likes. I am reminded of the hate campaign against Parvathy for speaking against Mammooty’s movie. What a wonderful place social media has become.

• But it also has 3.2 million people responding to it, big picture.

I feel pretty confident it’s gonna do better on Hotstar than it would in theaters. These hate campaigns seem far more effective in shaming people away from showing their faces in the theater/convincing them not to make a special effort to spend the money on tickets. Convincing people not to tune in in the privacy of their own homes when there is no one to shame them and no particular effort involved seems a lot harder.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 10:55 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I couldn’t agree more about Alia’s dialogue delivery. Everytime she opened her mouth I was thinking: why this woman is in this film? Than we have Sanjay’s scenes and dialogues which are awesome and on the one hand make you forget Alia, but on the other expose all her shortcomings.

• If it is Sanjay and ARK doing most of the dialogue, I will be a happy camper. They are both so good at dialogue. And Makarand Deshpande as the Godman! It’s all great there, I can ignore Alia’s dialogue struggles (she really needs to take a break and study Urdu diction or something to shake her dialogue skills into place)

• I didin’t like godman’s parts. The trailer was good till he appeared.
          But I LOVED the last part of the trailer when somebody says: hey, nobody died here. And Sanjay is like: But somebody will.

• YES! If you want the weight of misery and determination and survival and all of that, you hire Sanjay Dutt. Somehow his haggard aging look just makes him feel more powerful.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 11:31 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. The Mahesh Bhatt controversy is that when news of Sushant Singh Rajput’s death came out, the Bhatts were the first to respond, Mukesh Bhatt had said something to the effect of SSR reminding him of Parveen Babi when they had met several months ago and that he expected this. It was an annoying insensible hindsight statement where he also added that he wasn’t surprised that this happened. What made matters worse was whatever came out afterwards and one of Mahesh Bhatt’s assistant tweeting about how Rhea Chakraborty helped SSR to the best of her ability under Mahesh Bhatt’s guidance. Now that there is a case registered against the girl by the family, and a lot of evidence in support of them, public outrage has exploded against the Bhatts. Poor Alia is hammered either because of her father or her godfather.

• Thank you so much! That is exactly the kind of calm clear explanation I wanted.

Poor Mahesh, I can’t blame him for seeing himself in Rhea and Parveen in SSR. And as someone who went through it, knowing that there is truly nothing you can do sometimes, and you have to learn to forgive yourself. Not saying he is right or wrong in the reading of this particular situation, but I can sympathize with why he might be too emotionally involved to see clearly, and the demons this might bring up for him.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 10:08 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• mredlich21: This would be easily acceptable if not for the contradictory statements Rhea and Mahesh Bhatt have made. It’s difficult to go into the case in detail, but it’s not baseless that the CBI is coming in, not just out of politics but public outrage as well.
        Even if I (very doubtfully) accept the mental health issues that SSR faced, there is no doubt that the non stop barrage of blind items against him caused him immense distress. Speculating about sexuality or affairs is one and cooking up a widely reported fake #metoo allegation is another. That a smear campaign was against him is no doubt, the only question is who? And Karan Johar is the easiest answer and fits perfectly with both the evidence and the narrative.
        Either way, the industry is facing the heat from its audience.

• I’ll stick with my first response of Mahesh at least being confused by grief and his own personal guilt. For the rest, I will continue to withhold judgement and rely on nice people like you to give me updates on clear serieses of events!

It does seem clear, just from the personal statements of grief from non-famous friends, that SSR was struggling with his mental health. But that also means he was vulnerable to victimization in a variety of ways, so I will leave open the possibility that people close to him may have been using him and driving his hurts deeper.

Bringing it back to this trailer, I think that is how Mahesh sees Rajneesh and why he is angry with him. Mahesh was grieving, guiltridden, and an addict. And Rajneesh hurt him instead of helping him. I am very curious/hopeful that this movie will address that side of cults, how they prey on people who need help.

3. The trailer has me intrigued…the plot looks interesting and Mahesh Bhatt can really create drama!

Another reason this movie is getting trolled is that SSR family has launched a new initiative called ‘Nepometer’ (I am not making this up!). They will assess and score every movie based on its level of “nepotism”…and the first movie that they rated is Sadak 2 which as per their very *thorough/scientific* methodology has been deemed 98% nepotistic…so now online trolls are calling for a boycott.

• Boy, grief is weird, isn’t it? When my Grandpa died I started falling asleep suddenly wherever I was, like laying flat on the floor in the middle of the dining room dead asleep for two hours in the middle of the day. So I can’t really judge a family for creating a weird online poll, you do what you gotta do.

It does look like a decent movie, doesn’t it? Not a Great Film, but decent entertainer with a nice cast and solid directing. Post-trailer I expect to be more impressed by ARK than Alia, but honestly I kind of expected that already pre-trailer. He’s got a strange sad feeling onscreen which should be a good fit for Mahesh’s style, don’t you think?

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 10:30 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. People are mad at the Bhatts because of their over-interference in Sushanth’s case. Also statements like “I could see it in his eyes, he looked like a goner” are quite insensitive. Rhea could mostly be innocent but they really need to keep quiet and let the investigation agencies do their job.

• Maybe it’s a trick, maybe it’s really a Sanju-ARK show and the trailer is trying to sell Alia?

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 12:16 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. I didn’t really like the trailer. The contrast between Sanjay Dutt and Alia makes her look like such a bad actor. What happened to her?

6. I will never watch this because I can’t stand Sanju anymore since having to watch his movies with Govinda, but holy balls I love a nutty religious cult conspiracy movie, and this looks great. Let’s be honest if it has human sacrifice I will MAYBE watch it.

7. I wasn’t the biggest fan of this trailer but I want this movie to succeed a certain actress has been spreading a lot of hate to a lot of people from Karan Johar, Anupama Chopra, Alia, Deepika, Ranbir,Taapsee, and Ayushmann and Janhvi all because she doesn’t like them.

8. I was so excited for this movie but…I didn’t think the trailer was good. I was really unhappy that Pooja seems to have died and Alia seemed so bland! All of the Sanjay bits seemed better but I’m still really weary about the not!Osho stuff. I’m still going to check it out and am hoping that maybe there is some good in it but yeah not a good impression. That being said, the entire campaign that has been going on as a result of SSR’s death has been such a headache

• I’m still excited. I think because the things I was most excited about are unrelated to the trailer. So long as it has high quality Mahesh directing, and Sanjay and ARK onscreen, I don’t need a flashy plot or anything like that. Yes, Alia is a bit dull, but even dull Alia cannot slake my excitement.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 3:16 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

9. I think most people already contributed enough to everything surrounding the trailer, so I don’t think I need to add anything, because if I think any more about the 4.7 million dislikes, I will go insane.

Anyway, I watched the trailer pretty much as soon as I woke up this morning, so I just rewatched it. I will watch it at some point, I know that. Cults are just REALLY not my thing, they give me the heebie jeebies. And I didn’t even realize it was a cult angle until I read all these comments, so the whole second half of the trailer confused me the first time I watched it. It still, though, feels like two separate movies. I’m all about the first half with the road trip, but I feel like the second half is just gonna freak me out.

I can see the issues with Alia’s dialogue delivery, a couple things were a little clunky. But she definitely aged like 5 year since…whatever her last movie was. Kalank? I don’t even remember. It’s her eyes though. They look way more sunken in. And the grey cast over pretty much the whole thing isn’t doing anyone any favors, including Alia.

Also how has no one mentioned Alia and ARK? They look so sweet in this! I was definitely rooting hard for Alia to be with Varun in Kalank, obviously, but I can totally see the Alia/ARK chemistry now. He is so much taller than her, it’s so lovely.

• Ready for me to wildly speculate and gossip in the way I have been critiquing in my recent social media posts? Alcohol! Someone on the blog (emily? genevieve? alica?) pointed out that Ranbir kind of looks hungover in most of his photos. Seeing as he has a family history of alcoholism and general disfunction in his family, I could believe that. And now Alia, in a serious Ranbir relationship and with an alcoholic father and sister, is looking strangely haggard and disconnected. Is it possible that this relationship is giving her bad habits to the point that they are affecting her appearance/acting ability?

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 10:17 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: