Saturday Small Talk: Chat Away While I Have a Rumpled Day

Happy Saturday! Or, in my case, Grumpy Saturday. I slept terribly last night because I had caffeine late in the day because I was getting a headache because the weather was weird, so yeah, it’s all terrible. Prepare yourself for the grump-grumps.

Okay, things to talk about!

It’s Raakhee’s birthday! What are your favorite Raakhee movies? Or do you have a favorite?

Happy 71st Birthday, Rakhee Gulzar. | by Bollywoodirect | Medium

Follow up mildly related question, Raakhee’s daughter is Meghna Gulzar, has anyone watched her newest movie Chhaapak? Is it good? What did you think?

Chhapaak - Wikipedia

Okay, like I said, hard day. So I’m gonna be lazy and selfish, final thing to talk about is anything cheerful and optimistic AT ALL. Cute kid stories, fun things happening in your life right now, cool thing you just read/watched/whatever.

Okay, gonna try hard to think of similar cheerful optimistic stuff from my side. I am still loving the Thirkell books, so great to have an author you enjoy who wrote a lot of stuff.

And……..nope, that’s it, I’ve been starring at the screen for 15 minutes and I can’t think of anything else. This is the kind of day when I really need to go for a long walk and get out of the way of my own thoughts and gain some perspective and hit the refresh button BUT I CAN’T. UGH! I’ll go sit on my backsteps for a bit and see if it has a similar effect, but I’m not optimistic.

Oh, bonus, the one thing that gets me out of my head the most is writing fanfic, but I can’t think of any ideas right now. So if you have a fanfic thought/request, start me off.

25 thoughts on “Saturday Small Talk: Chat Away While I Have a Rumpled Day

1. Sharmilee! Love it, but also, she’s great in it. I also like Trishul because I think she has great chemistry with Amitabh, and Trishna which is hilarious.

I will get back to you with fanfic ideas, I’m sure I have one.

• Really it’s Shashi’s character that needs the update. Not knowing who his own wife is, is just WEIRD. I’m happy with twins who are too outgoing and too introverted, that feels timeless. But Shashi needs work.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 9:26 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Ajeet is the actual worst and needs to die a painful death. He goes from dying because he can’t handle Kanchan dying to wanting to murder her himself without any regret or anything like a sociopath. Also, he’s not conflicted anywhere near enough about the whole wifeswap thing.

• And then Shashi did the same thing in Satyam Shivam Sundurram!!!

Anyway, I really like the idea of the shy one learning to act like the outgoing one For Love. I think we just have to bend over backwards a bit and come up with a complex narrative justification. Maybe everyone thought it was just an arranged marriage, and didn’t realize that Bad Raakhee and Shashi had secretly been meeting and were in love. And Good Raakhee didn’t realize that her sister’s fiance was the boy she liked until after the wedding. And also, there is some Very Very Important reason that the marriage has to last at least 6 months, maybe someone is a spy or the family business is collapsing or something? So post-marriage Good Raakhee realizes that Shashi will divorce her if he learns she isn’t Bad Raakhee and also that she is in love with Shashi, and has to pretend to be Bad Raakhee even though it is breaking her heart.

In this version, Shashi isn’t The Worst, he would just be The Dumbest.

• Yeah but in SSS it’s so stupid and weird I find it hilarious, plus you’re supposed to find him mean and stupid. In Sharmilee you’re supposed to root for Ajeet but I want him to fall into a vat of acid.

Yes, just extending the mistaken identity thing would work. BUT I also want Tiger and Ranjeet and a wackadoo masala spy plot and swimming pool fights, just without the rape. Maybe some secret spy org wants to get Ajeet and they can’t let him know so they have to plot together to protect him?

• Yes, that’s what i was thinking! Taapsee’s uncle Boman Irani is a noble spy master, he plans to marry her to Vikrant, a talented scientist who doesn’t believe in the threat to his work played by his Evil stepmother. Bad Taapsee is seduced to the darkside and fakes her own death, after secretly meeting Vikrant and tricking secrets out of him. Good Taapsee has to take her place, only learning after marriage that Vikrant and Bad Taapsee had been meeting. So Taapsee has to trick Vikrant for a real reason, not just his own ego.

• I love her in Trishul! She is actually valued for her abilities, not just as a woman prize.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 9:04 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Spouse and I watched Bad Day at Black Rock last night. He chose the film, so I figured it was going to be war related or something he could show his students for stupid distance learning school. But no, it was a 1955 movie set down the road. My biggest awe was that the train track was still usable in 1955. I discovered that Spencer Tracy is famous for a reason, and that sometimes movies based on short stories, should be short movies. But what was super cool is that the whole movie was basically about how it was wrong to kill a Japanese man. And that is cool because the movie set was across the highway from the Manzanar Internment Camp, which had closed by 1955, but I bet it wasn’t fully dismantled yet. Also, in our area the violent treatment of Asians in ingrained in things like China Ranch. A very cool date farm just East of Death Valley, named because it was started by a man from China, who DISAPPEARED, so then the ranch was taken over by some locals. Couldn’t watch Bad Day at Black Rock without thinking of China Ranch. I’m glad the movie was made.

• I have never seen Bad Day at Black Rock, but now I am vaguely remembering reading about it and thinking “whoa, really? That’s an amazing plot for 1955 California”. And yes Spencer Tracy, personally I love him from Desk Set, the middle-aged rom-com of your dreams.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 9:16 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• The middle-aged rom-com of my dreams! I’ll have to look into that. I’m trying to watch Finding Fanny now based on other reader comments.

• Desk Set: Brilliant head research librarian and brilliant computer scientist installing the computer that will replace her butt heads. Will he be able to successfully court her despite having no social skills? Will she finally see through the handsome charming man who has been using her to do his work for years?

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 11:11 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Sharmilee.Rakhee was delightful in that movie.Another movie of her that I like is Lal Patthar,but on the downside it has a rather hammy Raaj Kumar(whom I never really liked except when he was filming with Meena Kumari and scorching the screen with their chemistry)but it has a deliciously wicked Hema Malini too.
    Chapaak as a film is good,and as a social issue film is perfect.It never does something that makes you feel it is cash-grabby,nor does it have a single faux-feel-good-empowering moment where it belittles the pain of Laxmi.It is intense and harrowing,but not more than the sad state of the society.The docudrama flashback approach worked better with it than other “biopics”,but again this film deserves more credits for its dedication to represent the subject with deserved sensitivity.

• I loved Lal Patthar! It was so delightfully non-judgemental, Hema and Raakhee were both just doing their best, and Raaj Kumar was plagued by his own demons long before he met either of them.

Thanks for the Chapaak report! I never saw it, and I realized we never really talked about it on the blog.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 11:21 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. It was through the three ShahRukh movies that I got to know Raakhee and like with many others of his co-actors and co-actresses, I tried to get to know her better through other movies which led me to get to know others more intensely like Shashi (I watched Sharmilee – of course – then Kabhie Kabhie and Trishul, Rocky, Baseera and Shakti)…It was amazing to watch the transition from the young woman roles to the mother roles and I was just happy to meet so many important Hindi actors/actresses/writers/directors just by watching those movies. It was through my affection for ShahRukh and his movies that Hindi cinema became a new passion for me – and it is through this blog that I got some insights into other regional Indian Cinema.
    Of course, her and Gulzar’s daughter had my interest when I read about her directing a movie she had written…and I wasn’t disappointed (Filhaal has an interesting plot and I loved Tabu and Sushmita in their roles…and Sanjay Suri I got to know better later through his collaboration with Onir).
    Oh yes, I would like to read y o u r take on her last movie, Margaret.

5. Ignore my last comment on Friday’s watch along. I meant to post it here.

I have a new Pakistani mini-movie suggestion! Hona Tha Pyar. It has a very Jane Austen-esq feel to it. Two sisters, one responsible, one happy to lucky. Everything works out happily at the end. Very minimal drama but so so cute. Also, it’s only 1 hour and 11 mins. I needed something happy to cheer me up this week and this did the trick!

Also, I am now thinking of starting Aik Nayi Cinderella (A New Cinderella) – a pakistani retelling of Cinderella, which is also on Prime. I ended up spoiling the ending for myself and it looks like a retelling I can get behind.

• These both sound really nice! Maybe I will watch them if I feel like taking a break from reading.

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 8:37 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Thank you but DON’T WATCH Aik Nayee Cinderella yet!! Maybe I was just in a bad mood yesterday but so far the characters are all irritating me. Initially, I liked that the heroine/Cinderella stands up for herself in her own small ways and has an awesome feminist grandmother. But then the heroine’s antics just became overly childish and annoying. For example, she is obsessed with asking everyone over and over again whether they think she is cute! The M-I-L/D-I-L conflict also annoys me, when in all likelyhood it is a misunderstanding around one big “secret” that could be solved with one real conversation, but continues to drag on. And the “fairy man’s” advice to the heroine to get her Prince Charming it so either ignore him because guys want what they cannot have or to make him jealous. Maybe the show will redeem itself but for now, I am not very happy with it.

Do watch Hona Tha Pyar though!

6. In apartment news, nothing has been signed or even officially decided yet, but I might have figured out the place I’m moving to, which was ironically the last place my roommate and I looked at.

• It’s always the last place! When you think “well, I’m exhausted of looking, and I found a place that was sort of okay, but I will check out this one last place just in case”, that’s when you find the perfect apartment! I had even put down a tentative deposit on a “no dogs, no dishwasher, but in the right location and price” apartment before my last move. And then I did a just in case random check of one more apartment, and it was perfect, and the one I ended up taking.

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 2:31 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: