Discussion Post Shahrukh Birthday Month: What Are Your Unpopular Opinions About Shahrukh?

Let’s get a conversation going! Because I was up way too late at my movie night last night (we do a zoom call post movie and just talked and talked), and now I am feeling droopy. Also, I feel like we haven’t talked in a while, let’s talk!

Unpopular opinions! For instance, you think his ponytail is hot, you think Jab Tak Hain Jaan was a good movie, you think Kajol wasn’t his best co-star, and so on. Lay it on us! And defend it!

I’ll give you mine, I like Chennai Express and Dilwale and Happy New Year!!!! I wish he would make more movies like that. They don’t all have to be deep and thought provoking and stuff, it’s okay to just be silly.

Also, I would actually have been okay with a romance in Dear Zindagi.

Review: In 'Dear Zindagi,' a Conflicted Woman in Search of a Truer Life -  The New York Times

And I think he looks bad in jeans because he has little chicken legs.

Shah Rukh Khan looked dapper in denim jeans and leather jacket | Shahrukh  khan, Khan, Bollywood

37 thoughts on “Discussion Post Shahrukh Birthday Month: What Are Your Unpopular Opinions About Shahrukh?

  1. I think Anushka is his best co star. She has this wild sexy vibe to her in contrast to his shy but cocky but charming persona. This pair just has not found the correct script to fuse these elements together while giving them chance to shine individually. I don’t why but kajol and srk seem like siblings to me.

    Liked by 2 people

    • Good opinion! I disagree of course, and it is legitimately “unpopular” because most people would pick someone closer to him in age/acting. But on the other hand, I think JHMS is that script that can perfectly evoke their connection and it is GREAT.

      On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 12:33 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  2. -I honestly don’t know if this is popular or unpopular but I can’t stand SRK and Madhuri together.
    -I don’t think there’s anything special about SRK and Kajol. They had the absolutely perfect scripts in DDLJ and KKHH but after that, you can see what a mismatch they seemed in MNIK and Dilwale. I particularly dislike them offscreen though probably because I can’t stand Kajol off-screen. All the screaming and shouting she does is unbearable. I seriously wonder sometimes how he puts up with her considering he is so polite and she is so not.
    -I like his hair short most of the time. I don’t like long hair on men in general.

    This is how long it is now. I hate it. He looks like a vagabond.

    Liked by 1 person

    • -I think this falls into the “unpopular in the world, popular at DCIB” category! We are pretty universal in disliking them as a jodi

      -NO! Definitely an unpopular opinion!!!! Good point about the DDLJ and KKHH scripts being really something special, but for me at least, I still see the chemistry in all their films. Because of their differences, he is so quiet and she is so loud, it makes them sparkle together.

      -Also definitely unpopular! I don’t dislike him with short hair, but I slightly prefer the long hair

      Like

  3. I will never forgive him for endorsing a fairness cream. And he isn’t white, which makes it even more ridiculous. All for money. And once he said “my daughter is dusky, but she’s the most beautiful girl in the world”. Man, gimme a break.

    Liked by 1 person

    • I don’t know if that is an unpopular opinion exactly? I don’t think anyone in today’s world is going to defend fairness creams as a good thing. And I’m not sure if accusing SRK of being color tone prejudiced is an unpopular opinion. I mean, it’s not a popular opinion either, but I’m not sure if it really falls into the things people feel committed to.

      Like

  4. I hate the shoulderlength hair he is sporting now. Even worse is the wooly hat. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would wear a wool hat in the Indian climate. Guaranteed, your head will be hot and your hair dripping with sweat. This is hugely unappealing to me!

    I also find his nicotine-stained fingers a big turnoff. There is a grungy element to him in real life that defintely doesn’t work for me, but of course none of that applies on screen, where he is very desirable!

    Like

    • I dispute both these opinions! but not heatedly.

      I think Saif and SRK have great chemistry, but I think Dips-SRK is a hair better. And my theory is that, old or young, SRK and Madhuri have great chemistry in real life, terrible chemistry in character.

      On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 4:46 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

        • I’ve always thought the only resolution would be for one or the other of them to die. Don dies saving Roma’s life or Roma kills him seems to be the obvious conclusion.

          But I think it would be more interesting and unexpected to start Don 3 with Roma dying. And end with Don learning that Boman Irani killed her (bring it back around to the triangle that started things), and killing Boman in vengeance and then giving himself up to the police as a final tribute to Roma, she “got” him in the end, made him face justice for all the deaths.

          Like

          • But do you think Priyanka would accept to appear for a few minutes? Because even for Roma to die it is necessary. I think that all that alleged “affair” controversy ended any possibility. Do you know if they (Sharukh, Priyanka, Farhan) still have any interest in making the third film?

            If this movie takes a few more years to be made, it will look like Entrapment (you know, Sean Connery all white hair and Catherine Zeta Jones).

            Like

          • I think the aging could make it better. And PC doesn’t have to appear onscreen, I don’t think Bips was in Race 2? Anyway, I like the idea of us going from Don as a cocky young man to Don as an old man with regrets. Maybe PC’s character similar, have her turned into a boring stay at home wife and mother, her adventorous past forgotten. The whole movie can be about the concept of aging and what we leave behind, PC has a loving husband and children who miss her, Don realizes all he had was PC in a sort of vague way.

            On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 6:55 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

            >

            Like

  5. I would like to see him with Tabu. They had a cameo together in a Rani Mukurji film and they were great. As to the rest, I love the long hair, hate the nicotine stains, and can’t figure out how that goes with the fact everyone says he smells so good!

    Like

    • Saathiya!

      And what I read somewhere is that he is very aware of the smoking smell, and so to cover it he is careful to use the best soaps and colognes and so on.

      Like

  6. Hate the long hair when he’s not being Don.
    Ok with killing Priyanka.
    I love Boman. (Just throwing that out there)
    Hate hate hate the stained fingers
    Hate that he was willing to endorse fairness creams
    Love that he acts servile when it’s his wife’s shindig and holds the door open and does the Indian head bob thing.
    Like SRK best with Anushka and Rani.
    Wish he’d done more with Tabu and Raveena.
    Wish he’d stop saying, “I just do what my director tells me to do.”

    Like

  7. I never believe him when he’s “singing”. Well maybe the wedding scene in JHMS, but almost never.

    I sometimes think he would be more satisfied as an actor if he’d never become a star and spent his career in character roles.

    Like

    • I hadn’t thought about it before, but you are right, he is not good at “singing”. Maybe because he is so focused on the steps most of the time? Can’t spend too long thinking about the lipsynching?

      On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 10:17 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • I think he just never learned to sing, even enough to fake it, and that was OK when he started out, and then he got so big it didn’t seem to matter enough to fix.

        Like

  8. Not sure this is unpopular, but he is not at all believable when he kisses someone onscreen. I liked it better when he didn’t and I’d prefer if he stopped.

    Liked by 1 person

    • I think this is not unpopular at all. Except for the kiss at the end of JHMS, which is perfection.

      On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 10:44 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

  9. Honestly, I don’t think that I have “unpopular” opinions about ShahRukh…rather I’ve the feeling that my view may be unpopular as I totally lack the inclination to judge him. Nevertheless, there are a lot of things I don’t feel comfortable with knowing also that he isn’t the “master of his decisions” in every way. Just some examples: his (forced?) connection with the Morani-brothers since 1994 (which had/has a considerable impact on some things that went wrong or are shady) and the endorsement of some companies or projects that I would wish he’d never touched. However I know, if one has the dreams he has you need money to realize them and then you need money to maintain them.
    I smile about a lot of things he says in interviews or on stage not taking them seriously or believing that’s the truth but I adore the way he tries to keep a certain honesty in distancing his genuine ShahRukh from the public ShahRukh and combine his genuine ShahRukh with the actor ShahRukh.

    Like

  10. I’m not even really a fan. That has to be unpopular, right? I think the way he gets most of his fans is his charm. (And there has to be some kind of sexual component to it, I mean even my mom said she saw his appeal when I first got into Hindi film.)

    If I’m unlucky enough to be immune to his charm, there’s nothing about him that will convince little old boring non-critic me why everyone’s so obsessed with him. No stellar acting or superb dancing or amazing chemistry with co-stars or even being like an indisputably perfect person in real life. He gets the best kinds of movies, that’s really SRK’s biggest appeal for me. Now come and virtually beat me up.

    Like

    • This is VERY VERY UNPOPULAR. There is one other person on DCIB who is also not an SRK fan (or at least, has been brave enough to admit it, there might be other timid souls who have never come forward). We will tolerate you, so long as you tolerate us. Also, I think we can now confirm that you are 6 on the Kinsey scale.

      On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 8:16 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  11. Mostly getting inspo from the comments, but here’s what I have.
    – I’m not the biggest Aishwarya fan, but I feel like her and SRK could have a fantastic jodi if they got a good script. They were the best thing about Devdas, aside from the visuals, and idk if they’ve had a proper romance since.
    – There’s a very fine line between acceptable long SRK hair and not acceptable long SRK hair. Happy New Year: Acceptable! DDLJ: Not Acceptable!

    Like

    • Shahrukh and Aish??? MADNESS!!!! Although, yes, I guess, if I think about their chemistry versus Shahrukh and Kat or Shahrukh and Madhuri, it probably is better.

      NO! Reverse! DDLJ: Acceptable, of the time, youthful. Happy New Year: Trying too hard, NO!

      On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 7:19 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.