Happy Monday! I feel vaguely draggy and not awake, because the stupid sun wasn’t up at 6:30am when I woke up. Stupid sun.

Here is where you get to ask me anything you want! If I’m gonna watch Ginny Weds Sunny, if I saw Amitabh’s birthday tweet about getting the toggle to work on his Vodafone, other interesting topics. Just keep swinging back here all week as you think of new questions!

And now, question for you! In honor of Hema Malini’s birthday, who do you think is the best female dancer working today?

Oh boy, I asked the question and now I’m not sure if I have an answer myself! Kat works hard, but doesn’t have that natural joy in dance that I can see. Shraddha does a little more, but still not as much as I would want. I guess maybe Sanya Malhotra? But that feels like cheating because she hasn’t had a real “dancey” movie that I have seen, it’s more from her youtube videos. What do you think?

Alternate answer, Sai Pallavi! Definitely has the joy in dance with her.

26 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me on Hema Malini’s Birthday Week?

1. Just read this – Looks like all the big players have come together. Need to see if this leads more allegations about nepotism or will kill the news cycle about ‘Rhea’ finally. https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/34-bollywood-producers-move-delhi-high-court-to-restrain-tv-channels/article32835948.ece

Sai Pallavi for sure. There are videos of her from when was a participant in dance reality shows and you can see the joy in all her performances.

• How lovely! I noticed Karan making a clear statement against slander and some others as well. So long as the accusations were just “you only cast people you like to work with….and that is bad”, there was no real way to fight back, the only argument could be with the conclusion, not the facts. But it is getting so wild and extreme now, thank goodness you can make a legal argument.

I wish Sai Pallavi had more pure dancing movies! I love her little bits of dancing in Fidaa and stuff, but I want more.

2. It’s tough because I agree that Katrina tries the hardest but I am not sure if she enjoys it. I am going to go with Alaya Furniturewala. She hasn’t done a dance movie either but she clearly has been learning dance for a while and seems to genuinely enjoy it based on her Instagram videos.

• Oh oh! Three heroine movie about aspiring dancers, Alaya and Sai Pallavi and Sanya Malhotra!

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:13 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It would be a movie of my dreams. Let’s put Unni Mukundan or Nivin as Sai’s ex boyfriend who wants to win her back and it would be the best film ever.

• YES! I want to make it like one of those classic three female lead melodrama stories. Sanya ends up successful in her career, Sai ends up happily married and retired, and Alaya ends up Tragic. They all start out loving to dance, go through various trials and romances on the way to the top, Sai Pallavi meets her nice boyfriend who is, like, an assistant director or something on films, very low lever. Alaya has Something Tragic happen to her (accident that cripples her, raped and spirit broken by producer, boyfriend gets her into drugs, something), Sanya gives up her Big Break to help Alaya, Sai has her priorities rearranged and decides that her nice boyfriend is real love and she wants to marry him and get out of the dance race. And then we end with Sanya getting her Big Break after all, pregnant Sai cheering her own in the audience, and Tragic Saintly Alaya there in a wheelchair. Oh! Sanya is getting an award and dedicates it to her friends, and then tells the whole story in a long flashback as her awards speech!

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 10:54 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Maybe skip GWS as it is just a goofy not trying to be pretentious romcom.Vikrant and Yami are delicious as usual.But nothing stupid or irritating.
    For western dances,best female dancer as far as just dancing with wild abandon is concerned,Nora Fatehi.Movies don’t utilize her talent well.Katrina is very elegant but I think she is deliberately distancing herself from her old image,almost like Scarlett Johansson.Shraddha is also definitely good,or atleast looks great in movies with a right mix of technique,grace and expression.Would like to see her more in dance and action heroine roles,she pulls them off well.I think there is weird majority of Hindi songs appropriating Punjabi words(some are actually offensive dog whistles,but even the silliest lyrics can dominate the market for at least three months).I seriously want a party song with all dancers being women and not a single man in sight.Something like Hawa Hawaii?With properly thought out lyrics.Even Punjabi songs don’t use these words as such words are anything but respectful to women.Particularly the context and way of saying some phrases.Like that cheesy “you are the only ten I see,are you from Tennessee?”there are even cheaper lyrics in Bollywood.”Ladki aankh mare”(girl winks)is there anything else they could write?Girls and eyes.Maybe mention Lacrimal glands also if it rhymes.
    With classical dances,I think I am going to start a campaign to cut down the funding of Bhansali and Dharma.Because right now most good actresses are poor dancers,and actors with theatre background and classical training don’t tend to work in movies that feature dance scenes at all.
    Aditi Rao Hydari is such a great dancer!Movies aren’t casting her in dancer roles,and although she did work as a dancer in a single movie,her non film work is excellent and deserves to be seen.She is just so perfect in every way.By the way I think South Indian and Marathi origin actresses tend to be great dancers,even without a long training background.There are too many of them to name,and most are really good.They just have a very comfortable,open,graceful body language,and really expressive mannerisms,which works well in a light celebratory song.This reminds me that I want an Ishqiya every three years for Madhuri to dance,recite poetry,and be amazing on screen(not with a weird ageing makeup and dark lipstick like Kalank).Maybe a Paune Do Ishqiya?

• Yes, I was thinking of Nora Fatahi! But she isn’t really give actual “parts”, just shows up for her wild dance number and disappears. I hope she gets more dialogue and stuff, I find her onscreen presence really great.

I don’t think I’ve seen Aditi full dance in anything, but she is always so graceful onscreen, it feels like she is dancing even when she isn’t.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:24 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Katrina is probably the best, but I don’t think there are any truly good ones right now. But it’s almost impossible to tell with the way dances are and are cut these days. What I know is that I haven’t seen a long cut (preferably one take), steady cam dance scene in which anyone did anything actually complicated in a long time (and where they didn’t mess with the tempo, TIGER). As with stunts, as soon as they start endlessly messing with it, you can assume it’s bad. But Katrina’s are the closest.

• Oh! I have one for you! Many actually. Check out Befikre, so many long cut dances. On the other hand, they aren’t classical or fast paced necessarily, so I don’t know how difficult they were to do as dancers. But it’s nice that Aditya decided he wanted to go old-school and make them actually dance instead of cutting it all up.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:49 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I watched that one below and that was decent. I think I will give Befikre a go because it’s nice to see some dancing of any quality. Although I liked the ones in Munna Michael.

There was a dance thing a few years ago in Western TV and film so I guess that was a moment. Sadly short lived, everything is cut to absolute death now.

• Ha! I just told Popka to look at Befikre if he was missing complicated dancing!

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:16 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Confession: I love the spectacles but by the third or fourth number, I tend to zone out. Unless of course it’s somebody like Prabhu Deva. Hrithik, Katrina, Tiger can be mesmerizing but they work so hard to get it right and to me, dance should be all emotion and spontaneity (even when you’re working hard). I always pay attention when Allu Arjun starts up and I could watch Madhuri, then and now, forever.

• I have to admit, I also do better with the movies where each song is totally different. Big dance song, dreamy love song, club song, like that. If there are too many songs that feel the same in a film, even if they are all spectacular, i just lose interest.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 8:26 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. Coming back to dance,I forgot that there was a great movie Mee Raqsam(I dance),produced by Shabana Azmi.It had a really simple but well executed plot about an aspiring dancer,and has several veteran actors.With a lovely message about culture and art,and how it boils down to choice not preconceived notions.

• Thank you! It looks like Baba Azmi (her brother I think?) was the moving force behind it, I know he’s been a producer/writer/director/editor type behind the scenes for decades. And it looks like it premiered on Zee5 (BOOOOOO!!!!). Which means my Indian and European based people can watch it, but us poor Americans can’t, because Zee5 is TERRIBLE.

Anyway, Angie is the person I think might most enjoy it, she loves classical art based stuff, and I think she has Zee5. Angie! If you are reading this! you should check out this movie and tell us about it!

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 9:38 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’ve already watched this movie few weeks ago. It’s on einthusian too, and I agree it’s lovely. Especially the last dance, Bharatanatyam with Sufi music.

7. Question: what is the word I’m hearing that’s translated as “never” but sounds like kaminey? I thought never was kuchne? Missing something.

• “Kabhi Nahin” or “Kabhi Na” probably. It’s a very nice literal translation, “Kabhi” meaning “come” and “Na” being “no”. So, “Come No”. Nahin/Na is a nice little negative word that is used a lot, so “Kabhi Nahin” is “come not”, “Kuch Nahin” is “something not” and so on.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 11:43 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

8. with severe covid and restrictions in India, how will Shahrukh’s birthday look? Will the mobs disregard the restrictions and meet at Mannat, and if they do, how will the police respond? Will SRK put out a message to fans to “stay safe and stay home”? I imagine he will miss the crowds.

• Oh, I am sure he will put out a strong statement asking everyone to stay home. And I am sure that the larger fan clubs will be contacted directly, I believe that crowd is half spontaneous, and half coordinated (that is, fan groups booking busses and planning trips weeks in advance). If he can have his people reach out to the “booking busses” kind of groups, that would cut it down a lot, and make it a lot less likely the spontaneous folks would turn out (not nearly as much fun to stroll over if there’s no big crowd to start with).

If people have any sense (always a big if), the police will put up a modest presence outside his house and try to get people to stay separate and move along. Yeah, my hope is that it is all very calm and easy, he has a private party and posts a birthday video for us.

9. For two days and one night I am escaping my children. I haven’t had an escape of more than two hours since, June? In June I had 2.5 days and 2 nights off, and at the time I recall wanting more. ANYWAY I am escaping them by camping by myself at some super big sand dunes in the north of Death Valley. There is cell reception at the top of the dunes, so I COULD watch a movie, by myself, on my cell phone, with an amazing view. But WHAT DO I WATCH? It has to be on einthusan, because that is the only player that works on my phone. (I have a solar phone charger so I don’t have to worry about draining the phone). It is very odd to watch super urban things in such an environment, so no JHMS. I was contemplating JTHJ, but skipping all the London parts. It also has to be NOT SUPER SERIOUS. I don’t want to think about skin color issues or politics or even woman’s rights. Any suggestions?

• CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so happy for you!!!!

Have you seen Paap? Pretty sure it’s on einthusan, super sexy remake of Witness that is mostly in the Himalayas, so basically the same scenery as what you will be seeing in real life. But different mountains. And too sexy to enjoy with your boys around, so good for your time alone.

Hmm. There’s also Dear Zindagi of course, but that might be a little issue-y. Kabhi Haa Kabhi Naa is in a pretty Goa village. Saagar is in a pretty Goa fishing village too. I can think of loads of Malayalam movies, but they tend to get a bit heavy in the end of things.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:44 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: