Yes, we are rewarding streaming shows! And reality shows! Both new categories! I have never dealt with them before, because they are DUMB. But for 2020, let us reward things for being very dumb and brainless and generally worthless.

These shows are so worthless, I haven’t even watched two of them. But I have read about them! And I know what y’all thought! So I will provide the description of each, and then leave it up to you to figure out the rankings.

The Fabulous Lives of Bollywood Wives

The only one I have seen! 4 middle-aged wealthy bored women go to lunch, to dinner, to Doha, and to a party. And that’s pretty much it. There just isn’t a lot of there-there, you know?

What The Love

Karan Johar playing matchmaker, romance advisor! This is a terrible idea, Karan hasn’t found love himself, how can he help other people? And how can the random people he brings in as “advisors” help? And in general, how can going on a reality show help find love?

Indian Matchmaking

An Indian matchmaker helps rich demanding people try to find matches! And, as I understand it, fails 100%. No successful matches in this show. Just a lot of naggy needy prospective mothers-in-law.

Which show is most totally worthless????

I’m gonna say, Indian Matchmaking!!! Because it is worthlessness on top of worthlessness, this whole odd Indian Matchmaking industry combined with the odd reality TV show industry. At least What the Love kept minor celebrities employed, and Bollywood Wives let us learn more about separation and divorce among Indian celebrities, and of course also holistic facials.

What’s your vote? And yes, you can have an opinion based only on trailers. It’s reality TV! You don’t have to be fair and educated!

22 thoughts on “2020 Awards: Most Worthless Streaming Reality Show, Bollywood Wives, What The Love, Indian Matchmaking

1. I’m not a reality fan and wasn’t able to get thru to the end of the three candidates. But I like KJo and the matchmaker lady tried so hard. I’m going with Wives. What makes anybody think we’d find them interesting?

• Good reasoning! At least KJo and the other one were working and trying to do something, the Wives seemed to just be getting facial treatments and shopping.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 1:29 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. The Fabulous Lives of Bollywood Wives, because who are those women and why we should care? (+ I only saw Arjun Kapoor part and I hated it. Inviting famous people just to whine, such a pointless show!)

What the love is very very close, but it has Karan and if I’m not wrong there are some makeovers , so at least people have new clothes. (from the trailer I know Arjun Kapoor was also in this show, but from the short moment I saw he had good time, unlike the show above)

Indian Matchmaking I haven’t seen, but a lot of people have. Some of them didn’t know about matchmaking and now they know so at least it served something.

• HA! Your reasoning that at least What the Love contestants got new clothes is very sound.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 5:22 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Okay, as someone who has watched all three shows I am going to give my expert analysis. The most worthless show is What the Love. Here is why:

Bollywood Wives: Actually gave (little) insight into how connected these people are…the silly things were very entertaining (at least to me)…and plus, the men on the show were hilarious.

Indian Matchmaking: Infuriating and hilarious to watch. But this show started a conversation in India…it reflected reality (everything here is true…my brother and sister went through this process)….it made people uncomfortable and question whether they hold similar regressive, patriarchal views…my Mom vehemently denied she was anything like the mothers-in-law in the show until I pointed out specific things she has said in the past (this did not go very well obv!)…overall I think this show was very much needed!

This brings me to why What the Love was the worst show ever…it was very tacky (low production budget, cheap sets), the contestants on the show were just boring…shy/awkward in front of cameras…and the love advice was just generic BS. So this was the most worthless show.

• Your point about Indian Matchmaking is interesting. Watching it as a Westerner I couldn’t say what matchmaking is usually like in the various segments of Indian society, BUT the show felt real. The people felt real. And that fact that all the matches failed felt real. Whereas What the Love felt like the “couple” might never go on another date again. And Bollywood Wives was so very very fake. I didn’t see all the episodes of any of the series though.

• Bollywood wives was soooooooooo fake. And I have now seen it three times. It is just the BEST for a group watch!!!! So I guess that is a good “worth” to it. Even if the value is “do you think they are lying a lot in this scene or a little?”

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 6:43 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Excellent reasoning!!!! And you are making me think about Indian Matchmaking again. Except, I just don’t want to spend that much time with unpleasant people. Maybe as a group hate watch? Just so we can have a robust conversation on the blog afterwards, it would be worth it.

I avoided What the Love because my response was “what the heck?” It’s an advice show slash make over show slash dating show? How does this work? Sounds like the answer is “not well”.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 5:53 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• You MUST watch the “gay man” episode of What the Love…it is sooo cringe!!! First, the contestant is just very awkward and shy…KJo sets him up on a celebrity date with Ali Faizal (who is straight)..Ali is supposed to break the guys shell but its just plain awkward…then the contestant goes on a date with a man who is very handsy and keeps trying to kiss the contestant on camera…the date ends badly…then the contestant goes on a date with another sweet guy who abruptly gets up in the middle of the conversation and runs out…we all think this guy has just bailed…but TWIST….later we find out that the poor boy was so nervous about the date and cameras etc. that he rushed to the bathroom to throw up!!!
        And leading us through all this gay chaos is KJo giving wise relationship advice based on how characters in his movies handled situations… it’s just so bizarre…

• Huh! I did not expect What The Love to turn out to be the biggest disappointment.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 7:57 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Bollywood wives was silly but harmless,while What the Love was so frustrating that I gave up in the middle.
    Indian Matchmaking was such a regressive but oddly captivating show that it left me confused about the stance of the creatives.The sad part is that instead of realizing the probable message,people are going to approach these matchmakers in larger numbers.In fact a pop media site reported an increase in clients approaching the matchmakers following its release which makes the show seem like a not-so-progressive advertisement.

5. Only watched Bollywood Wives and Indian Matchmaker. Of those two, for me Wives was more useless because people with jobs and normal life dilemmas are more interesting to spend time with than rich people who agonize over things like facials and debutante balls.

On the other hand, I wasn’t even tempted to watch What the Love, so by the clickbait, compulsively watchable metric that one would win most useless.

• Facials are VERY IMPORTANT (I just rewatched that episode). Do you go to the woman who “brings up the earth energy” or do you go to the woman who sticks needles in your face?

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 11:19 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. Indian matchmaking… And it’s partly even my fault. I kind of expected it to be a mix of made in heaven and queer eye. Or a show where the matchmakers empower the weary clients to say fuck you to the outrages demands of the arranged marriage community…. I couldn’t be more disappointed if I tried.. 🙄

• This is why I haven’t watched it! I had a brief moment of excitement, and then I started getting reports on it and going “oh, ew.”

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 12:09 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

7. I think the matchmaker would have done her thing whether there was a camera on her or not. So that’s more like a documentary, and about a topic that deserves attention *because* it can be so weird. I haven’t seen the Bollywood Wives, so I don’t know where it stands relative to Karan’s pretty generic show.

8. I hadn’t even heard of What the Love and I just skimmed through the trailer and I didn’t find it…so bad? Compared to Fabulous and Indian Matchmaking (again, I have watched none of these). I am going to go by the previews to rank:
    1. Most useless: Fabulous. A little more reality in the reality show, please? This was like the worst parts of an SLB movie transported to a KJo backdrop.
    2. Second most useless: Indian Matchmaking. It felt weird, fake, and also the behind the scenes stories are bad! 1/10.
    3. What the Love: Diversity! Ordinary people! Minor celebs! KJo being the romance king! Could be better, but could be a LOT worse.

• What the Love: Diversity!!!! Excellent point! The other two had NO diversity.

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 10:11 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote: