Happy Monday! And happy day after Aamir day!!! Great way to start the week, even though I have my usual “ewww, Monday? Work? Yuch!” feeling.

Here is where you get to ask me anything you want!!! From “what is Aamir Day?” to “why didn’t we get Aamir Month?” Just keep swinging back here all week as you think of new questions!

Before moving on, Genevieve asked me to report on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine I got. Headline, the side effects come on fast, and the weirdest most powerful one is “feeling very tired”. It’s not drowsiness, like with most side effects, it’s dead tired like “I don’t have the energy to lift my hand”. And it came on within an hour of getting the shot. And then went away.

And now, more important questions!!! It is both Abhay Deol and Alia Bhatt’s birthdays today, who do you LEAST want to retire????

This is really REALLY hard! I am going to say Abhay, only because I think his script sense is better than Alia’s.

Birthday special: Alia Bhatt and Abhay Deol's unrivaled performances

Follow up question, would you rather see Abhay and Alia as a romantic team, or a father-daughter team?

I’m going ROMANTIC!!!! Largely because I think they would have really great chemistry, to the point that it would feel icky to see them as father and daughter. I even have a plot for them, I want Abhay to be the wise cracking broken spirited live in son-in-law, and Alia to be the recently brought into the household bride. They form an alliance, become friends, and then fall in love. It’s super scandalous and taboo and I would LOVE it.

24 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me the Day After Aamir’s Birthday???

1. With my friends I’ve noticed that everyone under 50 has a bad time with the second shot (you’re the only one shot person I know), yet those over 50 seem to be do just fine. And by bad reaction I mean they feel like they have the flu the day after the shot, not life threatening, but not pleasant.

A month or more ago you recommended a servant movie to me, and I saw half of it, but then forgot the name of the film before seeing the second half. The narrator (a child) goes to his grandfather’s funeral and strikes up a friendship with the 12-year-old servant/slave who lives there. Do you remember what the film was called?

I think I like Alia a bit more than Abhay, so I want her to stick around. And if she can be romantically interested in SRK, she can have a romance with Abhay as well.

• Movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manjadikuru

It’s the first film by director Anjali Menon who went on to make Bangalore Days and Koode and write Ustad Hotel. Really fascinating for your servant question!!!

Interesting! I don’t know anyone under 50 who’s had the shots, besides me. My parents and Grandpa both reported feeling “punk” after the second shot, but they didn’t have to spend the day in bed or anything. I DEFINITELY had to spend the day in bed. But it was only 24 hours, and then I was fine. Mostly I’m glad my Dad drove down with me, I had to pull off the road about an hour after the shot because I was veering around a little and not able to keep my eyes open. If I’d been alone, I probably would have had to find a hotel room and crash and not drive home until 24 hours later.

Okay, I will let Alia keep working!!!!

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 9:52 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Wouldn’t it be good? I just can’t figure out where to go after “joking cynical live in son in law befriends bride”. Oh! Maybe her new husband is gay? So he really doesn’t care about the marriage and never took it seriously to begin with, so she isn’t really being “unfaithful” or anything, he told her straight up “enjoy the nice house, go shopping, have fun, I will spend no time with you and build no bond”. And then the brother-in-law can be a status symbol for his rich wife, but she doesn’t want him to interfere with her life and has no interest in kids, after 10 years of marriage they have a deal where he goes to public events with her but she spends the rest of her time with a series of younger boyfriends and working.

The drama can be Alia’s husband standing up for her and saying it is toxic to live this pretend life and he wants to be with his long time partner in public, and Abhay’s wife fighting back because of the public humiliation, Abhay and Alia at some point just running off together and having a wonderful happy honeymoon period, and finally Abhay’s wife coming around because it is the decent thing to do. And the parents being generally humiliated as all 5 of the young people (Alia’s husband, his partner, Alia, Abhay, and Abhay’s wife) give a joint interview about the toxic family standards and the secrets behind big weddings in rich families. Alia’s husband comes out as gay, Abhay’s wife comes out as not interested in being a wife or mother, and Abhay and Alia come out as in love and forced into fake marriages by their families.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:45 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I would make it different: Alia’s husband is not gay but just a guy who married because the parents found him a bride. Abhay’s marriage is also an arranged one without much passion. But when Alia appears, there is sex in the air (Important question: Would be Alia able to play such passion? I’m not sure really), But not only sex, also a bond. They talk and understand each other, fall in love. I want bazillion of hidden longing looks, and drama and dillemas and passion.

• Wait, are we making a rom-com or a soap opera mini-series now?

I think for my rom-com, I would want them to start out as platonic partners in crime, Abhay shows Alia the fun things to do around the house (slide down the bannister, eat ice cream on the roof, stuff like that). And then as they spend more time together since they are sort of isolated together (both hiding from the older generation, and not allowed to have outside interests by their spouses), they start to feel feelings. Like, there is a “family” trip to Switzerland, but really it is just a cover for a merger deal, so the rest of the family is in talks all day. And Alia and Abhay travel around recreating their favorite film moments and then almost kiss and so on. Leading to trying to avoid each other at home and focus on their (dead) marriages, and then finally realizing their marriages are impossible and they should just reach for happiness.

But for a soap opera mini-series, I would make Alia kind of naive and full of fantasy and then disappointed with the reality of marriage. At first she is angry at Abhay because he is all cynical, but once her husband leaves her because he isn’t interested in her, she appreciates Abhay’s kindness. They start an unexpected friendship, the cynical experienced man from a Royal family fallen on hard times (thus “bought” by his wife for the sake of his title and prestige), and the very sheltered very wealthy young woman married off as part of a business deal. There’s this sexual tension between them, but it’s unspoken, because she can’t even identify what it is, and he has sworn to himself that at the very least he will always be faithful to his wife. Emotional conversations, up all night bonding, hand clasps, and so on. And then it could go a bunch of different ways, one option would be that his wife and her husband WANT them to sleep together because they need Alia to get pregnant and her husband is impotent. Another would be that Alia awkwardly seduces him, Sanam Teri Kasam style, because she is afraid to have sex with her husband and wants Abhay as her first. Or just that they are overcome with passion one night and just do it. Either way, I think Alia should get pregnant. Just for the drama. And then Abhay has to fight for her, and Alia goes on the run, and so on and so forth, until they are finally united.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 3:56 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Romcom versiΓ³n feels a little like Shandaar. I wonder how Alia-Abhay chemistry would compare to Alia-Shahid chemistry.

• Abhay has chemistry with EVERYONE.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 7:17 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I want a rom-com but a more serious,adult one πŸ™‚ With “they are overcome with passion one night and just do it” scene while the family is at the party or on pilgrimage. Pilgrimage is better because it can last days and give our love birds time to think about the situation and calm a little.
            I would love if the husband wasn’t gay or impotent, because it’s too easy. I want more grey situation when it’s not so easy to say: oh yeah she should divorce him because it’s the only thing to do.

• Maybe the husband is a lot older than her and they just don’t have any interests in common? Which seems realistic, Alia being the virginal perfect rich girl, and the husband being the 30-something who is the “proper” age to settle down. He treats her kindly, but they just don’t connect.

And then she and Abhay have their wild week of passion and swear it is just a one time thing, maybe we have some kind of made up village tradition or something where it is the moon week of madness and nothing they do matters. But after the family returns, she starts to think about how she wants more out of life?

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 9:22 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Are you planning to watch Bombay Begums (Netflix)? I guess it’s too much work to do a full review/synopsis…but it might be fun to have a discussion post…there are some really great complicated female characters in interesting situations…but the show is still very soapy and easy to watch…

3. Do you ever have pet peeves of characters that you wish ended up together and didn’t in a book/movie/series?

These are a few of mine – Fanny Price and Henry Crawford (Mansfield Park), Anna and Hans (Frozen), Black Widow and Hawkeye (Avengers), Jeff and Annie (Community)… As you can see it is quite the range πŸ™‚

I read fanfictions to feel better about them. What about you?

• Also, if you have read Mansfield Park and are annoyed that Austen went haywire in the last couple of chapters, after building Fanny and Henry up (apparently her sister also pleaded with her to change the ending but she just wanted to end it), here’s an imagined retelling of the last few chapters of the story that is simply LOVELY! https://archiveofourown.org/works/279556

• I have nto read Mansfield Park! I’ve seen the movie, where they conveniently made the real romance SUPER HOT. But all in an unspoken way, so I guess stuff Austen didn’t put in the book.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 11:06 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• See the movies painted Henry as womanizing / terrible… some truth to it there, but in the book, Edward is so much more drab and Henry (and his sister, Mary!) so much more redeemable… He even becomes so towards the end, until Austen got into a hurry to finish up the story! UGH. As you can see, this is a PEEVE πŸ™‚

• I love this question!!! Yes, I definitely do. Shahrukh and Anushka in Jab Tak Hain Jaan leaps to mind. And I am probably going to steal this for a discussion post πŸ™‚

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:13 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. See the movies painted Henry as womanizing / terrible… some truth to it there, but in the book, Edward is so much more drab and Henry (and his sister, Mary!) so much more redeemable… He even becomes so towards the end, until Austen got into a hurry to finish up the story! UGH. As you can see, this is a PEEVE πŸ™‚