I was watching a true crime show which mentioned how this couple couldn’t afford a wedding so they had a big engagement party instead? Which completely confuses me. What’s the difference between a wedding and a big engagement party? Anyway, made me think we should all discuss these Vital Issues.
Emily Post says, “Every wedding is a marriage, but not every marriage is a Wedding”.
With that in mind, if you had to get married in a hurry for some reason:
- Would you get married at the city clerk’s office with no guests and be happy just with that?
- Would you rush to have at least some kind of wedding, with an old dress and a handful of guests who are available on short notice?
- Would you get married at the city clerk’s office and then plan a big party for later?
- Would you get married at the city clerk’s office and then do the whole ceremony over again a second time as part of a big wedding?
I am very much of the first option. The paper’s are signed, you’re married! That’s it, no point in doing anything else later. Your friends and family can just suck it up and understand that they couldn’t be there, and you can just suck it up and understand that life happens.
Follow up question, if you could get married anyway you wanted, would you prefer:
- City Clerk’s office, no guests, done and dusted
- Small wedding, a few friends and family, in a church or a backyard or a home
- Medium wedding, ceremony and then party/reception after
- Fabulous dream wedding, big dress, ballroom, fantasy experience
City clerk’s office, no guests, done and dusted, my DREAM. And my family tradition. My parents were the 3rd generation to get married with no guests last minute and break the news to the family later.