I Am a HOMEOWNER!!!!!

We did it! We crawled the last few final steps to closing! Still can’t move in of course because of the stupid tenant’s rights law of 1989 (evict them all, I say! Put their belongings in the street and let them scrabble for shelter like the dirt they are!). But at least we OWN THE BUILDING!!!

Wanna see an ADORABLE picture?

Yes! We have a HOUSE!!!! Did the walkthrough first thing yesterday, and the realtor gave us the keys and took our photo (see above). Then drove way way out to the suburbs to go to a Title Office and do the official Closing. The whole thing is very weird and ceremonial, especially in pandemic times. There was a plastic divider across the table so we wouldn’t breath on each other with the buyers on one side and the sellers on the other and we passed papers back and forth under the divider. And we got to take our infected germy signing pens home, which was fun! I always need pens.

After closing, we picked up lunch for all three of us, then went by the building to drop off official letters of Send Rent Here Now and Move Out at End of Lease for the tenants (sucks to be them!!!!), then went back to my friends’ apartment and ate lunch and petted their three cats and watched bad TV to celebrate.

15 thoughts on “I Am a HOMEOWNER!!!!!

1. Hooray! That’s such a huge deal! One big step left when you can move in and then you’ll be officially a settled grown up householder.

I appreciate how quickly you’ve turned from renter to renters are the dirt beneath my landlord feet.

Liked by 2 people

• Hey, if they didn’t want to lose their homes, they should have bought a place! Like I did! It’s their own fault for being poor. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps!

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 10:18 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• `
        Everyone knows you’re joking, right?

I always blame the seller in these situations. They could have softened the blow by informing the renters early on and working through any issues.

Of course, the big FOR SALE sign in the front yard should have been a tipoff for them that it’s time to start looking for a new place to rent.

————

• Yes, obviously I am joking! Having been on the tenant side of a building sale 3 times, I am very aware of how weird and scary it is. But also, GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 12:21 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• One tenant is moving out July 1, the other August 1. My friends’ unit is the July 1 move out, but they won’t need it until August 1. So I will be camping in their empty unit starting July 1, and then getting my stuff out of storage and moving for real-real August 1. It’s a whole thing. But by fall, ALL SETTLED.

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 10:39 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• His own tiny tiny garden! My plan is to block off the walkway along the side, so he gets 30 feet by 4 feet of concrete to run back and forth and back and forth. He will LOVE it!!!!

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 8:56 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Albie is gonna have a dog run! Which looks hideous and unappealing to me, a human, but I which I think he will LOVE. All he wants is a plain hard surface where he can run and run and run.

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 2:30 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Ha, ha, I’m imagining you as Amrish Puri in Koyla with a mullet and an evil laugh. (He was an evil landlord, right? Otherwise I’m coming up empty, although I know I’ve seen plenty).

Congratulations to you and your friends and Albie!

• Oh! or you’re Alia’s unseen landlord in Dear Zindagi! Go ahead and throw those people out, they will all go to Goa and find themselves!

• YES! It will be good for them! This could be the start of a whole healing spiritual journey!!!

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 10:37 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: