Wednesday Watching Post: What Do You Want to Ask Me on NEW SRK TRAILER Day?

Happy Wednesday! And Happy Official Film Announcement Day!!! I will put up a separate post just for that, for now this is the usual “talk about everything” Wednesday post.

I’ll start!

Reading: If we expand reading to include podcasts, I’m listening to an in depth one on Rajneesh. Good lord that man is trash. And my new “hot take” is that he attracted such strong intelligent powerful women around him because it was the only way they could express themselves. You aren’t allowed to just start a multinational corporation on your own, but you can do it “on behalf of your master”. Also, the man is trash. He’s like a little baby who sulks and whines and won’t do anything for himself. (please don’t yell at me for being religiously insensitive)

Watching: The Fame Game, obviously, which I still need all of you to see.

Thinking: Tonight I might see a movie IN THEATERS!!!! A co-worker really wants to see Gangubai as does her 10 year old daughter. So, a movie in theaters with a pre-teen. What could be more celebratory!

Listening: It’s Urmila’s birthday week! And if you thought I forgot, you do not know me but at ALL

Okay, now what are you watching and reading and so on?

41 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching Post: What Do You Want to Ask Me on NEW SRK TRAILER Day?

1. Listening: The music of Gangubai. At first, I wasn’t that impressed, but having seen some of the visuals and listening to it over and over again it has grown on me. Hard to pick a favourite song, but it is between ‘Jhume Re Gori’, ‘Meri Jaan’ and ‘Shikayat’. Also, yay! You are going to a theatre to see Gangubai! I am so envious of you!

Watching: Finished The Fame Game and watched the new West Side Story. The latter was very impressive!

Thinking: New PN-1 date announcement! Also posters! Yay!

• Oh good lord, do I have to read that Tamil novel? I couldn’t even follow the wikipedia summary, let alone the novel itself!!!! Let’s make someone else read it and explain it to us.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 8:42 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Or just wait for the movie to come and explain it visually and only THEN read it! Easier to visualise and when reading names we can just picture the actors. I mean, there are 2 more movies to come anyway. So the story isn’t finished, which gives us time to read it.

2. Guess who watched Jinnah? (it’s me)

Absolutely mind-bending to see two actors I know probably better than any others but from completely different parts of film history together. Like seeing Catherine the Great and Elizabeth I walking next to each other.

As a movie, it’s weird because it tells a lot of harsh facts and messages but it tries to do it as painlessly and whimsically as possible. I can’t comment on other accuracy, but Christopher Lee is so much like the actual Jinnah that it’s eery, like a living ghost. He also cries, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen him do before. Very moving and beautiful.

Mainly, you should watch it if you are a Lady Mountbatton/Nehru shipper or if you want to have your mind blown by seeing Shashi Kapoor and Christopher Lee play pool together.

• Wait, there’s a Lady Mountbatten/Nehru plot? I may have to watch just for that.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 9:01 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I still want my lush romantic period BBC miniseries. Ideally with Dev Patel (I know he’s too tall, but whatever) and Kiera Knightley.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 9:29 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yeah, it would be great. to have a whole movie about it. I have to say this movie looks AMAZING, with glorious cinematography and period setting and costumes so if you cut out all the Lady Mountbatton/Nehru scenes and paste them together you basically have that.

3. I’m so so happy that you reviewed Fame Game. I almost started watching it based on your review of the first couple episodes but then I read your final post and realized that it is just not for me. So, seriously, thank you for reviewing it. Maybe one of these days, I will eventually watch it but for now, my husband and I are happy watching an episode of Poirot a night!

Oh, we did watch an American movie that we really enjoyed, Free Guy! It’s on Disney plus and it is so fun. I have the biggest crush on Ryan Reynolds (which my husband knows and weirdly approves of) and he is so fun in it. Oh also, Spin is on Disney plus.

We are thinking of leaving Baby SRK with the grandparents for a night and going to NYC in June to watch Music Man with Huge Jackman and Sutton Foster (from Bunheads and Younger) – both of whom I adore! I don’t care that it has not received great reviews. I still think it’ll be fun to have a night out where we watch the show and then eat comfort food from our favorite curry noodle house in Koreatown.

• Poirot! The perfect comfort food! And just right for new parents, because you can drift asleep for fifteen minutes and wake up and not a whole heck of alot has happened. Not that you would ever do such a thing.

The Music Man is such a great show. My Mom still remembers seeing it with her Dad when it first came out and right as it started her Dad started chuckling and being happy. It is just a silly happy throwback kind of musical in the era when everything was beginning to get serious (Cabaret, etc.). And then you can come home and sing “Goodnight my someone” to baby SRK.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 9:17 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I was just telling my husband that I feel like Poirot lulls me to sleep. Something about its pace and the music, just feels comforting.

And yes, I can add Goodnight my Someone to Baby SRK’s sleepytime music list. I am really excited to go watch it.

4. So I watched Hridayam which I thought was a solid movie. I really liked the vibes of the movie and the music a lot but I didn’t really like the direction the story went. I’m still obsessed with the Darshana song though!

I also rewatched Kandukondain Kandukondain which is a movie that I’m enjoying more each time I see it. Is it just me or do Tamil directors seem to get the best performances out of Aishwarya?

I’m still working on The Fame Game but I should be done in with it in the next couple of days!

• Tamil directors absolutely get the best out of Aish! Or, my theory, it’s because she is dubbed. When she can just focus on the visual parto fher performance and leave the talking alone, I think hse is much better.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 9:25 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• That’s a good theory, but she was so good in Guru as well which was shot in Hindi!

So should I watch Jeans? I love the soundtrack but Prashant annoys me so idk. Or should I finally watch Minsara Kanavu?

5. We travelled to 7 hrs to go to a Bar Mitzvah and listened to the Trojan Horse Affair on the way there and back. It was GREAT! The funny thing is we got into it because it’s first episode was on This American Life and the first episode didn’t have any swear words (It is suprising how few podcasts don’t have swear words) – So we listened, and got HOOKED. But in the later episodes one of the narrators swears like a sailor. But we were so hooked we kept listening anyway. It is all about this fake letter sent to city officials in Birmingham in 2014 that described an Islamist plot to take over the schools and how it effectively destroyed multiple lives and killed a good school. Really great for my kids to hear, a great example of how racism infects discourse and politics.

Loved that the niece joined in on some of the Saturday morning watch-a-long & got interested. We showed her part of Don2 later to try and get her hooked on SRK. I don’t know if it worked.

Reading The Country Under My Skin by Gioconda Belli, a Nicaraguan Sandista Rebel who seems to have affairs with all rebel leaders. Maybe not all of them, but well, more than one. It’s fascinating. And also today I get to play catch-up and read all the days I missed on your blog!

• Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, blog catch up! It’s mostly Fame Game. If you don’t think you will have 6 hours to devout to it any time soon, spoil yourself and join the conversation!

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 12:49 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m choosing to watch – I got in an episode before I had to pick up the kids. It’s early dismissal this week, and no screen night tonight so yeah, it’s gonna take me a bit.

• Oh, just stop sleeping. You could finish in one night and make the kids forage for their own breakfast.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 3:02 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• The seven year old is really good at getting his own breakfast! Not so much his shoes though… The um 16 year old is great at putting on his own shoes, but can’t seem to even peel his own banana. The 13 year old can do everything, if he is reminded 10 times.

6. Yay theaters! Hope you got to see Gangubai.

Reading: this interview with Michelle Yeoh was pretty wonderful, I wanted to share. She talks about how she turned herself from a ballerina beauty queen into an action star, and what it’s like to be a woman if a certain age at this time when Hollywood all of a sudden has more interesting roles for Asian actors than ever. Also it sounds like she and Jamie Lee Curtis hit it off on this crazy new movie she made, and now I want to go hang out with the two of them.

Watching: this new Korean series Twenty-Five, Twenty-One that’s releasing two eps a week on Netflix is really good so far, it’s the first new show I’ve been excited about in a while, and the first onscreen romance that gave me actual heart flutters in a long time. Even though the female lead (one of my favorite actresses Kim Tae Ri) is playing a high schooler at this point and that is not usually my thing. It has a whole sports plotline because she’s a fencer, but really it’s about these young people coming of age during the IMF crisis in the 90s, and how they deal with the sudden change in expectations and opportunities brought on by the crisis. With young love and humor and some family and friends drama. Meanwhile with my husband I’m finally watching the last few seasons of Game of Thrones, which is making me mad all over again about the way the writer lost control of the plot and characters. Then as a palate cleanser (too many battles and zombies) we started Veneno, also on HBO Max, a real life story based on a book about a trans performer and sex worker who became a huge TV personality in the 90s. It’s good, and way kinder to its characters.

Thinking: glad I’m back to planning ahead for things like the almost 12yo’s birthday party and spring and summer breaks, because it’s nice having something to look forward to and life is mixed up right now.

• Man! You watch so much cool Spanish language stuff! It almost makes me want to learn Spanish. Or handle subtitles or something. I just like everything in English!!!! Why can’t everything be in English????

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 10:00 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I mean, you could watch it dubbed. That’s how they watch American stuff in Spain. The accents are funny in Spanish because the character is from a hickish part of the country and the way she talks is part of her personality, but you would still get the important stuff. I’m impressed with the casting. They found talented trans actors for all the age phases of the main character, and the supporting characters too.

7. I have hard time finding something good to watch. I started some movies but they are all bad. I also tried watching Meppadiyan. It’s Unni Mukundan’s first movie as a producer. He was all serious about this film. Gained weight, made his hair and beard grow to look like 100% Angie type. I fact he looks so cuddly and nice. Also his character is all nice and sweet. But the movie..Oh man it’s all about some lousy types taking advantage of Unni’s good heart and cheating him for money. It’s well made movie that makes you be on the edge of your seat all the time, but the problem is that I don’t want to be on the edge of my seat and worry about cute Unni! I want to lie on my couch and admire how sexy Unni looks with those extra kilos he gained for the movie. Is this that much?

Listening: Few days ago, out of the blue I thought: I know nothing about Frank Zappa. I should learn something about him. And so I read about him, saw some interviews and this video and now I have a very big crush on him.

• Watch Fame Game! You will like Manav Kaul even if you don’t like anything else.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 3:10 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• But I already read all the spoilers.
        Oh, while we talk about series, my family and I recently finished The Good Place and it was very interesting. Different and funny. I recommend it if you haven’t seen it.
        Now we were looking for some other series, and I chose the new Macgyver but it was such a disappointment. Instead of making cool stuff from nothing this new Macgyver is all like: I’m an important spy, making important things. The world would collapse if not for us important American spies. I hate movies about spies, so I proposed watching The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair. It wouldn’t be bad if not for the protagonist having sex with 15 years old girl! I don’t know how it will end but for now I’m not able to look at this guy and everytime he opens his mouth I’m like: She is 15 y/o you fu***** pervert. It’s not the best thing to do during family dinners I guess 😉

• Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, The Good Place! I love that show. It’s both happy and thinky and romantic.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 10:23 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

8. I am very much enjoying being on vacation, except that I keep having to work. But I’m mostly keeping it to an hour or so a day, and next week I’m going on a short trip to a nearby big city and got to a hotel which has a huge bathtub and visit some museums.

Watching: Mostly Fame Game, but I did Shyam Singha Roy also. I liked it, but not as much as everyone else did. Really liked Sai Pallavi, but I’m not used to things like a big CGI fight in which someone gets thrown into a cauldron so that sort of thing throws me. (And no one seems to have noticed and he didn’t get into any trouble). Also, just watched Paava Kadhaigal and the plot is similar in an important point. But I did enjoy it.

• Yeah, I didn’t love SSR either. Sort of all over the place and abbreviated feeling. Although I am Culturally Aware enough to understand you can throw a priest in a giant caldron of fire and it will never come up again. See, you just have to learn how to accept other cultures! Like cultures in which extreme violence is common and never addressed again!

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 3:57 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• SPOILERS
        One of the worst parts of Shyam Singha Roy was when he visited his brothers. He was a revolutionary, has made so many things the brothers can be ashamed of (like beating/killing a priest, writing revolutionary books , ending devasasi tradition etc) and they were like: marry the girl of our choice and we will forgive you but if not, we will kill you. I mean it’s stupid he was killed for this petty thing. (even if I must admit it was interesting to see, for once, a man being killed by his family, because it always happens to girls)

• YES! That felt so lame. Like, they build him up as this hero person, and then he’s killed for a nothing thing. I’m going for, had to do a last minute re-write, was intended to be a more meaningful death.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 10:01 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

9. I read this amazing book on how to talk to kids about racism, and it helped me finally confront my white privilege. I know, about time if I want to give Baby a decent start in life. Let me tell you, I do not like the way the world looks now.

The book also included tips on toys, shows and children’s books, so when I get a moment, I am now checking out „Motown Magic“ for the kids. It’s wonderfully light and colorful, perfect to alternate with half episodes of „The Fame Game“.

• Oooo, I will have to recommend Motown Magic to my sister!

Is Baby still creating an aura of calm and happiness around her?

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 11:41 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: