It’s Sridevi’s birthday! I am so excited about celebrating! Because it means we all get to watch a bunch of really great song sequences as I list of my reasons that I love her. I’ll do 13, because she was born on the 13th, and she was 13 when she had her first heroine part.
1. I love you because she has been acting since she was 4, had her first notable Hindi role as a “child star” at age 12 in Julie, and launched as a heroine in southern films a year later at 13. A classic working actress biography that isn’t seen much these days.
2. I love you because you put in a good 6 years working primarily in the south, winning awards in Malayalam, Telugu, and Tamil films, before you seriously tried to break out in the north.
3. I love you because your “break-out” role in Himmatwala was something that, in any other hands, would have been unplayable. As we saw, when Tamanna attempted to recreate the magic in the Himmatwala remake.
4. I love you because you could make a young girl with amnesia and a snake who falls in love with Rishi Kapoor equally believable.
5. I love you because you kept working in the regional industries even after you hit it big in Hindi, staying in touch with your roots.
6. I love you because you were wise enough to take a break when your career started to slow down, and even wiser for picking the perfect comeback picture to restart it.
7. But mostly, I love you because you light up the screen when you dance! Right from your first Hindi film.
8. To your last Hindi film.
(I love Urmila too, but I may have to re-use this on her birthday!)
9. You made the snake dance actually snake-like.
10. You were arguably Yash Chopra’s greatest heroine, and certainly in two of his greatest films.
11. With Yashji, you re-imagined the wedding song.
12. And turned a modern young girl into a traditional heroine.
13. Is it any wonder that for your return to Southern film, they made you a queen!