Okay, big day today, and really really big day tomorrow. But at least tomorrow I won’t feel guilty for sort of combining people, whereas today Dharmendra and Sharmila clearly deserve their very own posts! So, Dharam-Garam, here are 10 reasons I love you, one for every decade you’ve lived (counting the 9th one you are starting today) plus one to grow on.
1.1. I love you because you really are a village boy, son of the schoolmaster of a tiny village in the Punjab, the only actor I can think of with a real country boy background.
2. I love you because you came to town after winning a talent contest from FilmFare, just like in a movie, and went on to find fame and fortune.
3. I love you because, according to the Meena Kumari bios I’ve read, you were the most decent man in her life, always upfront and above board, and kept coming around and spending time with her even after the end of your relationship.
4. I love you because you were super super sexy back when Meena Kumari discovered you!
5. I love you because you were still sexy almost a decade later.
(Happy Birthday Sharmilaji! I promise, you’ll get your own post soon)
6. And, let’s be real, you still had something even 40 years later.
7. I love you because, after starting out as more of a chocolate hero, you became an action star, and comedy, and drama! Every genre, you succeeded in.
8. I love you because you have founded (or co-founded) a great acting family, with Sunny
and Abhay all coming after you.
9. I love you because, how can I say this correctly? Because you have the kind of personal gravitas that serves as protection for you and your family despite being a part of what should have been the kind of scandal that lowers your family respect for generations to come.
(Although you had help with your co-scandalmaker, who has a lot less gravitas, but even more loveability)
10. And finally, once and forever, I love you for this, even if you had done nothing else in your career, this would save your place in film history for all time.