SO GOOD!! And not just because the eyeliner/dorky 80s glasses is really working on Shahrukh. Well, that’s part of it. But there’s a lot of other good stuff too!
Stupid time difference! The Raees trailer came out right after I went to sleep last night. Oh well, I’m awake now and can watch it.
So, this is all SO GOOD! I think I’m just going to count down all the things that are great about it.
10. Period details: I love how the little things like the glasses are in period, but they didn’t go over the top, they kept the timeless stuff timeless, like saris and classic cars.
9. Gujurat-Business concept: When this film was first announced, my reaction was “A Gujurat Gangster?” But, I love how it is playing out! It’s all business, all the time. The power and violence are separate from that.
8. Sunny Leone: I’m not a huge fan, but I’m thrilled that there is a classic item number with a really sparkling item girl.
7. Slow-mo fight scenes: Who doesn’t love slow-mo fight scenes? Whether it is SRK doing that cool thing people do with shotguns, or just striding through smoke.
6. Songs: Not just Sunny! It looks like there is a straight up song number with Shahrukh in it. I’m so happy! I know it wouldn’t have fit at all, but I was missing that in Fan and Dear Zindagi.
5. Dialoguebaazi: Top 5 time! Actual good dialogue! Not just “we wrote it in English and then ran it through google translate to turn it into Hindi and called it a day.” But real dialogue with like poetry to it and deeper meanings and stuff.
4. Directing: Have you noticed how nice all those screen shots I pulled look? That’s cause this movie has a really good director. Framing, lighting, this that and the other thing, it was all great. Finally we are in the hands of a real professional who knows what he is doing!
3. Mahira Khan: Spicy! I love it that her character isn’t just sitting around being saintly and womanly, she is being all sexually aggressive and sparkly. Although there is one moment later where she looks all sad, I don’t like that.
2. Shahrukh Khan: Duh! I bet the only surprise is that I didn’t make him reason number 1, right? But he not only looks really good, he is acting really good too. Selling me on the tough guy who is always 5 steps ahead of everyone else. And just does what he needs to do to keep his business rolling, not because he enjoys it. Very “Taking Care of Business” kind of attitude.
1.1. The Melange of it All: All of those elements above, from the period details to Shahrukh, they come together perfectly! Even a Sunny Leone item number feels like it somehow fits with the rest of it. I don’t know how Dholakia did it, but it all works!
Bonus Reason: Nawazuddin Siddiqui!!!