Happy Raksha Bandhan! A holiday I don’t get to celebrate at all, because there are no brothers in my family. Yes, even if I count cousins. All girls, all the time, both mother and father’s side of the family. But, at least I can watch movies and pretend this is what it would be like if I had a brother or a cousin-brother. (this is an updated and reposted post from last year)
(as always, if you have a favorite video for the holiday, let me know in the comments!)
1. Hare Rama Hare Krishna is of course the classic brother-sister movie. But I’m not going to do the classic brother-sister song, the one about flowers from when they are little. Instead, I’m going to do “Dum Maro Dum”, because it is AWESOME! And because it is a brother-sister duet, which everyone always forgets because only the sister part became super popular.
2. I really love this song. So sweet! Big tough depressed Hrithik just wants to be able to spend time with his sister. Actually, Agneepath may be my favorite brother-sister movie.
3. King Uncle! A, shall we say, “uneven”, film, but with a great cast. It’s a remake of Little Orphan Annie, but with the added twist that Daddy Warbucks, before adopting Annie, married his sister off for the dowry, and driving his little brother Shahrukh out of the house by objecting to his marriage. Now, softened by a little girl’s love, he has tracked Shahrukh down to apologize, to which Shahrukh says “yeah, well, that’s great for me, but what about our poor sister, trapped in a terrible marriage?” Which is a great brotherly moment, that Shahrukh can forgive for himself, but not on behalf of his sister!
(You can watch the whole movie on Netflix now, so I will just give a taste with this song)
4. Okay, I’ve got to go back to Agneepath. Because I LOVE this scene! And, at the root, it’s all about brother-sister love again. His little sister is both the one thing that would turn Hrithik into a brutal killer, and the one thing that would make him ashamed and scared after killing. I’m pretty sure, if I actually had a brother anywhere, they would do this for me, right?
(I love Eros’ official title for this youtube video)
5. And finally, something very different from last year, a movie in which it is the big sister and little brother.