Monday Morning Questions Post, Independence Week/JHMS Week 2 Edition

Happy Monday!  And happy day before Independence Day!  I successfully managed to avoid parade traffic this year, first time ever.  Yay me!  So, now you get to ask me lots and lots of questions.  And I have two optional questions for you.

As always, you can ask me anything you want from the personal about my film journey (“what was your first Indian movie?”) to the specific factual you may want to know if you are new to the films (“what movie should I watch first?”) to the general discussion question (“why are some Indian movies better ‘firsts’ than others?”)

UPDATE: Oops, I forgot to put in the “one rule”.  Please let me answer questions first, even if you know the answer.  It’s just a better conversation usually if I start it out.  And then once I answer, anyone is welcome to jump in.

And I have two questions for you!  First, for all my Jab Harry Met Sejal readers, what is your favorite Shahrukh film?

And second, for all my non-Jab Harry Met Sejal readers, what is your favorite Independence Day film?

70 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions Post, Independence Week/JHMS Week 2 Edition

1. Hmmm…it’s actually really hard to pick my favorite SRK film and it’s partly because there are so many iconic films in his filmography and even though he’s not my favorite actor in Hindi cinema, I actually own more of his films on DVD. I think it’s a three-way tie for me between Chak De India, Paheli and K3G (all three so different and he’s perfect in each one). With a close second of Dear Zindagi. I guess if I had to pick one it would be K3G because it’s more representative of his entire work?

And for Independence Day film, I would maybe pick Chak De India, but I think Delhi-6 would also be an interesting choice! It’s such a great slice of life story and a it’s a great version of the NRI rediscovering his homeland.

My question: have you ever delved into the growing Indian short film world? I watched Taandav, Kriti, The Right Note, and Natanyara’s Necklace this weekend and I’m hooked. I haven’t ever been into short films in general, but all of these were really good…and had some high profile actors in them.

• I like K3G, but I wouldn’t say it is my “favorite”, you know? For favorite, I think I would have to go with DDLJ. Which is so predictable and obvious I realized I didn’t even bother to give my answer in the post.

Delhi-6 is a good Independence Day film. I love the cross-section it gives of society, without judging it.

I haven’t really watched the Indian short films, but I have run across the occasional news story about a release and so on. I find it a fascinating variation on the industry. It lets a whole variety of people work together without the commitment that a really “big” film requires now. Directors, big name actors, up and coming actors, they can all kind of experiment together without the pressure of a major release. And if the film then “releases” on youtube, they can also bypass the big studios and distributors.

• I think I’m the only Hindi cinema fan in the world who doesn’t love DDLJ. I think it’s a pleasant film but I’ve never thought it was so amazing in its execution. It’s a nice film with a somewhat groundbreaking commentary on NRIs and modern romance.

• I think you are probably right.

When I talk to a non-desi/non-Hindi film watcher and say my favorite movie is Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, I get all this undeserved street cred, because the title sounds so obscure and fancy and all that. But then if I am talking to anyone even sort of in the know, I am kind of embarrassed to say it because it is so trite. So be proud of yourself! You are uniquely individual!

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 10:34 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I don’t mean it in a snobby way, I hope! I just think because I saw it *after* K3G and Mujhse Dosti Karoge and many other romances of that era, it didn’t seem as “new” to me.

• I’m addicted to those short films–so many times I want to watch something but can’t commit to two hours. They are perfect for an afternoon break. I just watched Nayantara’s Necklace last night while I hoovered down my dinner and it was wonderful (the movie, not the hoovering).

Have you seen the Youtube channel Terribly Tiny Tales (used to be Terribly Tiny Talkies)? I like almost everything they post. My favorite one there is called Arre Baba. Another one I love and have watched several times (not on that site) is called Afterglow, which has a guy I know I’ve seen in a bunch of stuff and the woman who plays an aunt (?) on Kapoor and Sons.

2. I can’t pick one favorite SRK movie, but there are half a dozen or so which I especially love and re-watch, because of a mixture of the characters, story, songs, Shah Rukh’s performance, and co-actors’ performances. They are, in no particular order, Devdas (I know that’s controversial around here), Chalte Chalte, Paheli, Dil Se, Don, and Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman. Raees and Jab Harry Met Sejal are pretty high up on the list also, so I’ve been a happy fan-girl this year.

My question for you is, how do you balance seeing new films with watching old favorites? What tends to be the ratio of one to the other?

• Interesting mix in your films! Some big pretty ones (Devdas, Paheli, Dil Se, Don) and some little character driven ones (Chalte Chalte, Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman).

I am always watch new films rather than old favorites. Because of my brain, which remembers a movie almost perfectly after only one watch. So, Chalte Chalte for instance I haven’t watched straight through in maybe 4 years. But I can close my eyes and fast forward through the whole thing. The only time I really rewatch movies is if I am watching them with someone else so at least their reaction will be new to me, even if the movie is exactly the same as I remember it. All my theater rewatches of JHMS and others involve me going with a new person each time, not just alone. Every once in a while, like maybe once every two months or so, I will want to rewatch a film by myself, but then I am usually blogging or doing dishes or something at the same time to keep my mind occupied.

3. i am not a fan of srk but i do like some of his films like My Name is Khan ,Rab Ne Bana De Jodi ,Om Shanti Om,Chamatkaar(really old movie),Darr then there is Anjaam..but out of these my favourite is Rab Ne Bana De Jodi..because it was not just a good movie with a good story but i think it is a character(the nerdy husband) which he has never played before….and he did it quite well.
    As for Independence Day movie ..i liked the movie Border..not over dramatic..the story about soldiers and their love for their country in short not Phantom ..

• I have a soft spot for Chamaatkar as well! It’s just such a cheerful movie, and an amazing cast (Shammi, Urmila, Naseerji, plus young Shahrukh).

I agree about Rab Ne. It’s a really good film on it’s own with an interesting story, and then you add in Shahrukh and Anushka in her surprisingly good first performance, and it goes to a whole new level.

I still haven’t watched Border straight through, although I have seen LOC Kargil a few times which I think followed a similar format? Strictly realistic as to events, not dramatizing anything beyond what actually happened.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 10:51 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• i found LOC Kargil too filmy…Border is a better movie..if you see that you’l get what i’m saying..sure Border has some filmy scenes but the movie is much better than movie LOC Kargil..
        i remember watching Chamatkaar as a kid..it was so funny the movie never gets old..also urmila matondkar looks so different…you should watch Kamal Hasan,Jayaram and Urmila starrer malayalam movie Chanakyan ..you wont even recognise her..
        you know i just’ve one complain of Rab Ne..she did not recognise her husband after he had a makeover… i mean come on..loved the songs..this is the movie where i loved the lead pair the most..

• Yeah, the not recognizing him is tricky. Although they are also careful to show that neither of them really looked at the other directly. She kept her head down like a good wife/because she was unhappy. And he started sort of avoiding looking at her directly after the charade started. If you want, you could read it that the title song reprise moment when she suddenly sees him in a new light at the temple could also be her subconsciously recognizing him since this is the first time she has really looked closely at his face.

• oh yes i remember that scene..but still whether you see the face of the person you love or not you will recognise a person who you see everyday no matter in what form he/she is..but irrespective of that little flaw it is one movie that is one of my all time favourites..my god i still listen to the songs..i think i’m going to watch it a couple more times as well

• I was just arguing with someone who said that was the last great Shahrukh film. I think Chennai Express was pretty good too (that’s why we were arguing), but I can see her point. It’s the last true romance.

• This one is his very next release. Releasing in onam next month. Director is debutant and it is nivins second production after actionherobiju.
        Richie is tamil film and shooting is completed .Probably will release after this one.
        Hey jude is the next film from director of ivide.It will be the malayalam debute of actress thrisha and is probably a noncommercial art film. Shooting is ongoing.
        Then there is the big budget kayamkulam kochunni. Based on the life of a famous thief lived in 19th century kerala. It will be directed by roshan andrews director of mumbai police,udayananu tharam etc.
        Then he will star in directional debute of dhyan srinivasan(brother of vineeth sri,actor in thira).
        Moothon(kammattipadam like film) shooting starts next year.
        Also heard there is one more tamil film with a big production house in tamil.

• Oh my gosh, he is SO BUSY! I’m intrigued about Trisha, I somehow ended up seeing a bunch of her Telugu films, and she really impressed me. Moothon is the one I am really excited about, but I will probably watch all of them.

• Sheesh! How does he have time to sleep with all these films coming out?

I wonder, would this be the delayed Premam/Action Hero effect? Action Hero was a home production and took a long time to finish, right? So he was probably putting some stuff off. And I am sure post Premam he was getting oodles of offers. So maybe all of these films are the build of that burst of post-Premam things that he had to put off for a couple of years while he finished other commitments.

• He really slowed down after premam. Only 3 films and a cameo role while he did 20+ films before premam. So he is probably trying to catch up. And he is not interested in anything outside films.Dont even interact with anyone in social media. Focussing only on films

4. My favourite ShahRukh movie is always the next one because I don’t know it yet and I’m exited to get to know it.
    I envy you having such a good memory, Margaret 🙂

Independance Day movie?…Hey Ram…

Short films…yes, I watched some and liked them,,,would watch more if I had more time.

Question to you: What do you think about ShahRukh playing an Atticus Finch-type character?

5. Picking one is impossible! As you know, I am working through a re-watch of all of his films in chronological order (obsessive, I know…). So the best I can do is a short list of the ones I looked forward to re-watching: Oh, Darling Yeh Hai India (which I love so much, I bought it!), Koyla, DDLJ, Dil Se, Devdas, Main Hoon Na, Paheli, everything since Swades… There is no short list! My absolute favorites are his comic roles, though, especially if he plays a double role. I would be crushed if I could never see Om Shanti Om or RNBDJ again.

I will say that most of these movies have something about them that I dislike, or want to fast-forward through. The exceptions to that are Dear Zindagi and Jab Harry Met Sejal.

• Yay! You make me so happy. Although you also promised that this last section would have the ending and now I still have to wait.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 1:12 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Does it end with a baby and a wedding? Those are my favorite endings! I don’t even care if it doesn’t make sense, just have them all go to someone else’s wedding and steal a baby on the way or something.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:23 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Now I’m thinking about THIS ^ 😐

Lol. Well they already had the wedding in the first part.

There’s a really bollywood-y fanfic I wrote when I was 19. It was spun around Pakistani singer Bilal Maqsood from the band Strings. That’s the cute one with the wedding and cute things. It was the first full story I wrote. It’s in hindi and I’d have to dig out the handwritten manuscript and draft it in English.

But after I’m done with this one, I wanna try the SRK one. Because I can’t stop thinking about sexy SRK now. THIS one is starting to scare me. GRUNGY Prabhas NEEDS the romantic and cute sequences otherwise it gets too intense. I realize that now.

• Wait, have you actually seen JHMS yet? Or are you just getting the SRK sex haze from the trailers and posters? The man is powerful enough, I could believe it.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:42 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I couldn’t find a volunteer to go with. Nobody wanted to waste their long holiday weekend on the film. WhatsApp groups are full of really savage reviews. I’m just back to sexy SRK haze from the specific mean SRK bit from the trailer plus transcribing the kapil sharma show for the ladies here drew me further into it.

• Somehow my WP app is asking me to log in to post comments or like these links.

If I were to pick something that for me stands out in this guy is his sexy indian muslimness. It’s really a thing. Of all the khans, he’s the most comfortable showing it. The clothes, the aadab, the way he hugs other celebrities when he greets them.. It’s beautiful and endearing to watch. I really hate that all the other khans in our industry have a Hindu persona.

• Will this be the first TV broadcast? Purely selfishly, I always get a little bump in blog views when a movie shows up on TV. Because people get bored and turn it off or go to bed or whatever and then google to find out how it ends, and land on my blog.

Also, the super sexy intro (if you haven’t seen it, I can’t remember if you have or not?) is the Muharram scene, and it was censored out of some of the versions for a while, commentators here reported it wasn’t on the googleplay version. But it is on the Netflix version. So I don’t know what is going on and I would be curious if they include it in the TV broadcast.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

Liked by 2 people

• No I guess they already had the WTP a while ago. But it perhaps was a more chopped up version. The rights were sold to Zee. Somehow Sony is the one airing least chopped versions right now. I don’t know what that’s about.

• Also, Sony’s Independence Day pics were Bahubali 1 during the day (11Am slot) and Sachin at prime time. They’ve filled up the ad breaks with promos for Bahubali 2’s WTP.

• Is this a big “eh, it’s hot, let’s stay in and watch TV” kind of holiday? I mean, that’s always my favorite thing to do when I have a random day off work, but the 4th of July here (for instance) is about parades and fireworks, so they don’t really do big TV broadcasts since everyone is outside. Big big movie release holiday though, because people want something air conditioned to do between parades and fireworks.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:45 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Well we had a second Saturday (bank and government departments’ regular holiday), Sunday, Janmashtami (govinda festival) fast and public holiday and I-Day which was again a public holiday. We have flag hoisting at places of work and within communities. But businesses stay closed. I guess it’s a security thing. We don’t have fireworks. We have long boring speeches by politicians. A lot of people travel or go home. Everyone else just stays in or meets local relatives because with a loooong weekend the excuses for not meeting just aren’t there anymore. 😁

• Can you just tell your relatives that Bahubali 2 is being broadcast for the first time and use that as an excuse? 🙂

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:44 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Thankfully my business cannot remain closed for most public holidays. Just national days and diwali and holi. So I’m always at work even when I’m working from home. My relatives know that now. So it’s mostly mom holding down the ‘meet the relatives’ fort on her own. 😁

• I need to figure out how to do that. “I can’t come to Grandpa’s birthday dinner, I’m blogging” doesn’t really work.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:49 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• My Indian sanskaars are preventing me from giving you pro tips on how to pull that off!! 😁 I usually organise secret drinks plus more with cousins and select aunts when I’m stuck like that. Makes big gatherings more bearable.

• Might not work as well in my family, since our “oh my gosh so big!” gatherings top out at 12 people. Kind of hard to secretly break off from that.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:58 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Usually I just plant myself next to Grandpa and hang out. He’s the best one. But tragically stationary (96, doesn’t move very fast), so not good for sneaking off with.

My cousin is actually coming to town today and I am kind of excited about it! She always stays with me when she visits, for at least one night, and I make her watch an Indian movie. I’m thinking about maybe doing JHMS, but I still think of her as my “little” cousin (she’s 5 years younger then me), so not sure if I would be comfortable with watching all the sexiness with her.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 1:05 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m sharing celebrity crush pictures with cousins 9 and 14 years younger than me! Trust me, your cousin and you would survive watching sexy SRK together!

• Well, now that I think about it, we did watch Zac Efron together already. And I remember thinking “now, I am too old for this little boy, but she is just the right age, so it isn’t creepy for me to be enjoying this so much.”

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 2:42 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Thanks again, Asmita, for translating the Kapil segment. As you recommended, I watched out for the hug with Nawazuddin, and it was, well, fun to watch! An uncharitable part of me thinks that one reason Shah Rukh seems to like Nawaz so much is that he’s finally found a co-actor shorter than him. Not that I’d change a thing about either! 🙂

• This is the reason I sometimes think Aamir made Tara Zameen Paar.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:51 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• So, DDLJ, KANK, RNBDJ, and KKHH. And then K3G? Or is that even farther down?

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 1:42 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• K3G is definitely after KKHH. I don’t like the second half much where the focus is not on SRK-Kajol anymore but K3G is still really fun. After that I’d probably place Chennai Express.

• I am strongly tempted to make you keep going through all 75+ films (Chaahat, before or after King Uncle?), but I will free you now!

Really interesting list, DDLJ (obviously) is on the top for most people, but KANK being that high and KKHH and K3G being so low is unusual.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 2:29 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I just counted and I’ve only seen 22 of Shahrukh’s movies and most of them are the really popular/critically acclaimed movies. Plus I didn’t count Chak De or Om Shanti Om since I don’t think I’ve ever finished watching those two.

• I have seen every single movie, except for Guddu (which Shahrukh himself says is the worst movie he was ever in). Someday if I am very bored, I will do my full least-most favorite list.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 2:38 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote: