A director! Not that common. But he is such an interesting and distinctive director that I can’t resist doing a post on him.
1.1. I love you for being a real outsider, from Delhi, who came to Pune to study at the Indian Institute of Film and Television.
2. I love you for adding to your school learning by working as a small actor for years before beginning to plan your first film as a director.
3. I love you for paying it forward and founding the Whistling Woods academy, giving young filmmakers a chance to get training outside of the very very small chance of being accepted at IIFT.
4. I love you for having a very distinctive film style, your films are always BIG in a way that other director’s shy away from.
5. I love you for straddling multiple generations of stars in your films, starting with Rishi Kapoor
6. Going on to Anil Kapoor
7. Then Shahrukh in a surprisingly good film.
8. All the way up to Viviek Oboroi
9. I love you for giving Madhuri two of her greatest songs. First in Ram-Lakhan.
10. And then topping it with “Choli Ke Peeche” in Khalnayak.
11. Speaking of Khalnayak, I love you for giving a great crazy big role to Sanjay Dutt.
12. But mostly I love you for your glorious ridiculous beautiful over the top movies, the kind of crazy film fantasy no one else manages.