Bad Rom-Coms With Great Soundtracks

It’s like a whole genre, right?  I think this every time I update my Saavn playlist.  If you are a fan of light happy songs (which I am), a large number of wonderful light happy songs end up living within bad movies.  Specifically, rom-coms that aspire to be light and happy but never manage to live up to their soundtrack.

None of these are like super super super bad unwatchable films.  But they also aren’t necessarily films I would whole-heartedly recommend.  But I would whole-heartedly recommend their soundtracks!

Kismat Konnection-That brief time when Vidya was trying to be a regular “heroine” type and it never quite worked!  Also, just a terribly stupid plot.  Our hero decides our heroine is his lucky charm, thanks to a gypsy woman telling him so and stuff, and complications ensue.  I mean, a cute film, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to see it.  However, the soundtrack by Pritam is EXCELLENT!!!  Especially these two songs:

 

 

Yaariyan: Confession: I’ve never actually seen this movie.  Because, why would I?  Small director, no stars, didn’t get “oh my gosh a hidden gem” kind of reviews, why bother?  And then the soundtrack randomly popped up on my soundtrack and OMG I love it!  Especially this song:

 

Salaam-Nameste: Such a great soundtrack!  Such a flawed movie!  Great cast, good dialogue, a lot of nice moments, but the plot is one of those where you just get so ANGRY at one of the characters that, even if the people in the film manage to forgive him, you the audience member never really can.  At least, that’s how it was for me.

 

Desi Boyz: Okay, this is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, as I suspect it is for many of us.  But it is also definitely not a “great” movie!  On the other hand, the songs are start to finish excellent.  Especially this one, which is totally ridiculous in context and yet also charming.

 

I Hate Luv Storys:  Another guilty pleasure for me!  Some parts of this film are legitimately clever and original.  And then other parts go back to that “I just want to punch our hero in the face” problem from Salaam-Namaste.  However, the soundtrack is SO GOOD that I have to include two songs from it.

 

 

Ta Ra Rum Pum Pum: This movie makes me SO ANGRY!!!  It’s not just a ridiculous film, it has the basic premise that rich people suffer more when they are suddenly made poor, than poor people who were already poor.  But then on the other hand, I really love these two songs.

 

 

Heyy Babbyy: Before Housefull, there was Heyy Babyy!  Sajid Khan’s first film, which I personally think is also his best.  It’s still not great, but it is a little bit more clever.  And definitely has the best soundtrack of any of his movies!  And also another one of those “Vidya, why are you playing a boring heroine?  You look as miserable in this role as I feel watching you” moments.

 

Ishq: I’ve been leaning heavily on the early 2000s (my era of film), but let’s get some golden oldies in here!  Ishq, a truly terrible film in a wonderfully entertaining way, which also has a great soundtrack!  There’s a reason it was just sampled for Golmaal Again.

 

Duplicate: my friend may love this movie, but it is still a TERRIBLE movie!  In an entertaining-ish way, but also TERRIBLE.  However, the songs are wonderful, no apologies or explanations required.

 

Dil: Even perfectionist Aamir Khan has not escaped the “not great movie, great songs” curse.  This is a ridiculous silly romance, not a great movie in anyway, but the songs are excellent!

 

Raja:  Speaking of Madhuri, remember Raja?  Yeah, I didn’t think so, no one does.  Except of course for the awesome songs!

 

Zamaane Ko Dikhana Hai: I think this is probably as early as I can go with the “not great movie, great soundtrack” list.  Because earlier than this, the actual films are hard to judge in quality and stuff, because we don’t have access to all of them.  But the late 70s, we can definitively say this particular film was an average success and of so-so quality, but the songs are great!

 

To end, perhaps the patron saint of “bad movie-good soundtrack”, Rehnaa Tere Dil Main!

 

 

I know this is a far from comprehensive list, I am sure I missed some gems.  What is your favorite “I love this soundtrack and can’t get through this movie” movie?

 

Oh, and would you argue with my putting any of these films in the “not-great” pile?

 

35 thoughts on “Bad Rom-Coms With Great Soundtracks

  1. RHTDM is NOT a bad romcom!!!! Maybe it just looks stupid with Saif in a gangsta role and the men fighting over Dia Mirza but it is NOT a stupid romcom!! It’s THE college people romance for the 90s kids!!!!

    Like

    • See, I knew someone would object to my definition for one of these! How about the others, you are okay with all the rest of them being in the “not great” pile?

      On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

        • RHTDM-Really???I will offer you a replacement in the form of Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon..it’s basically the same plot of mistaken identity-but done so badly in every aspect except for the soundtrack.Watch the below song which will give you the whole tone of the film in one shot.

          Btw you should watch this movie if you haven’t already-to know how bad it can really get..:)

          Like

          • I have to admit, there was a brief period when I listened to O Ajnabi every night before bed.

            I have seen it, but I have resisted writing about it, because there is no way I could top the Pretentious Movie Reviews discussion!

            Liked by 1 person

          • I tried watching this in my kareena phase but the 3000 extra facial expressions from her prevented me from watching the entire thing. Besides, Hrithik and Abhishek just didn’t compare to the effortless sexiness of Maddy and Saif finding his niche as the not exactly the hero but also important male lead. I fell in love so hard with Maddy after this film (I was in the 11th standard then). I got serious for my first serious boyfriend specifically because he looked a bit like Maddy back then (and i called him M instead of the hip nickname his posse gave him- Monts- because I wanted the association with Maddy to be stronger) and I called him Maddy when our friends weren’t around and he prided himself on the resemblance too! 😂

            I don’t think we love films from decades ago because they were all genuinely amazing films, but because we remember how they made us feel back then and how that feeling influenced our lives.

            I think bollywood has had a huge impact on the love lives of kids growing up in India.

            As for MPKDH, like I said, the 3000 extra facial expressions from kareena prevented me from watching this film so I really can’t say if this compares to RHTDM or not.

            Liked by 1 person

    • I think I have seen it. But what I remember most is that I really liked the soundtrack so much, that it overshadowed the movie.

      On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 12:30 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • That’s true! The soundtrack is definitely the best thing about the movie. One of the things about Dishoom that disappointed me was that the soundtrack wasn’t that good barring Sau Tarah Ke.

        Like

        • I wonder if the Dhawan’s were more nervous about Desi Boyz, with it being Rohit’s first film, so they leaned hard to get a spectacular soundtrack? Versus Dishoom, that they were more relaxed about? Or more likely, just different films, one being a rom-com and the other being action.

          On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 1:57 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

          • I feel like it was just the genre that ended up making a difference. There wasn’t really a scope for songs in Dishoom and Sau Tarah Ke was basically the only song in the actual movie. Toh Dishoom and Jaaneman Aah were both credit songs.

            Like

          • Maybe I should do a “that one really good song in an action movie” post 🙂 Sau Tarah Ke, Swag Se Swagat, Ittefaq Se, and so on.

            On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 2:03 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

            >

            Like

  2. Rhtdm has definitely become cult classic. It was our go to movie during teenage. Gals in school used to swoon over maddy, they still do the movie gets dedicated audience whenever it came on TV. Its a notch above others in the list for sure.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Bakhuda Tum Hi Ho was my alarm clock for a long long time. And I liked the movie actually.
    Heyy Babyy, I agree, is so-so movie but the soundtrack – amazing, especialy Dholna and Mast Kalendar. How I loved those songs!
    The other bad movie-good soundtrack combo: Garam Masala and Falak Dekhun song. Oh man and Akshay in his most handsome phase. And again Akshay in Singh is king. I don’t remember a thing from this movie apart Teri Ore song (again my rightone for a very long time)

    Like

    • Bakhuda Tum Hi Ho would be a great way to wake up in the morning!

      Teri Ore is one of those songs where I hear the title, and it immediately starts playing in my head.

      On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 1:12 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • Bakhuda Tum Hi Ho is great as a wake up song. You can’t help but wake up and sing a little and Atif’s voice is so sweet that you can’t be angry after hearing it.

        Like

  4. But Kismat Konnection had Juhi as a gypsy.I wish we could have gotten rid of boring Shahid and Vidya and watch her con her clients -maybe Shahrukh? The recent-oldish movie which disappointed me after a super soundtrack is this.Just like Dilwale.It had a jodi with proven chemistry (Kumar Gaurav and Poonam Dillon at their 80s peak looks),lovely songs,locations set in Darjeeling and Britain, and then they disappointed me with mediocre everything else.Ramanand Sagar should stick to mythologicals.

    How is this for an earworm
    “Oh my God,
    Tum muchse, karte Hoon, Itna Pyaar
    Mein pagal ho jaaungi
    By God.

    Liked by 1 person

    • I did love Juhi suddenly popping up as a Gypsy! I am very much enjoying her later career as “random character actress”, but then on the other hand she tends to overshadow the “real” characters we are supposed to care about. I had the same problem with Paheli. Rani was fine, but I wanted more Juhi! And Bhootnath. And Luck By Chance. More Juhi in all of them!

      On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 3:28 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

  5. Kismat Konnection is one of those movies that I’ve bought twice on DVD because I’m weird and stupid. Every once in a while I get a bee in my bonnet about downsizing my collections. But in the end I couldn’t get rid of this bad rom-com. Their pairing didn’t work at all and the plot was terrible, but the songs are good…exactly! And Bakhuda Tum Hi Ho has the best attempts by Shahid to imitate SRK’s arm gesture. And it has that cute reference to Parineeta and the weird special appearance by Juhi. It’s one of the good bad ones. I also own I Hate Luv Storys and Salaam Namaste…they definitely suffer from unsympathetic heroes but I like them both despite myself!

    Like

    • I Hate Luv Storys has such a clever self-aware structure, and I really like how strong and mature the heroine is, and that the hero gets such a complete deserved comeuppance in the second half. If only they hadn’t made him so totally gross in the first 15 minutes! You can do “bad boy” without going all the way to “immature selfish womanizer boy”.

      Meanwhile, I accidentally bought Duplicate twice. Which sounds like a pun, but it is also just a fact. And I literally cannot give away my extra copy, no one wants it!

      On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 3:33 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • Is Duplicate the one with SRK and Juhi? Couldn’t get through that one but I seem to have a mental block on most 90s rom-coms.

        I’ve rebought too many Hindi dvds and I’m definitely never getting rid of any again, they’re light and they pack easily and I’m not planning on going anywhere soon! I’ve rebought Anjaana Anjaani, Kismat Konnection, Kaminey, Jhoom Barabar Jhoom, Bhool Bhuliya, and a few others. At least I buy most of them cheap!

        Like

        • Duplicate is one of many with Shahrukh and Juhi. It’s the one where Shahrukh looks identical to an escaped convict, and ends up being chased by the sexy convict’s girlfriend Sonali Bendre, while the “Real” Shahrukh is a sweet cook in love with Juhi. I don’t know of “rom-com” is the best category for it, but it fits there better than anywhere else.

          On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 3:46 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

  6. What popped into my head were 1980’s awkward “coming of age in a serious way, but still want to be funny and raunchy also” movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High and The Last American Virgin. I was in late elementary school/middle school when they came out, and so I was the perfect age to be very influenced by them. The movies were very up and down, but with bangin’ soundtracks. For example The Last American Virgin has:


    (bonus–this video is a series of cheesy couples on beaches pictures. sweet!)

    And FTARH has:

    (this one just has cute pics of Jackson Browne–talk about a problematic favorite…)

    Does One 2 Ka 4 count as a romcom? Or is it more of a full on masala movie? Where is the line?! If it counts as a romcom then I nominate Khamoshiyan Gungunane Lagi and Sona Nahi Na Sahi. And JTHJ is not (intentionally) a romcom, but I like Ishq Shava, Saans, and Jiya Re from it. Dil Se is not not a romcom, nor is it a so-so movie, yet Chaiyya Chaiyya is in there to make us happy. I watched this with my mom and aunt, and told them–enjoy this song because it’s the last time you’re going to feel happy during this movie.

    Like

    • That’s how my sister felt about “Chikni Chameli” in Agneepath!!!! One last bit of joy in the middle of the slow slide to despair and heartbreak and bittersweet happiness.

      I considered One 2 Ka 4 and Jab Tak Hain Jaan. But decided they didn’t quite hit the sweet spot of “lowish budget lowish expectations but a great soundtrack” kind of rom-com. On the other hand, I am listening to One By Two right now, which I’ve never even seen because it disappeared so quick, and I love it!

      On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 3:38 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

  7. Of the list I actually like I hate luv stories decently and minnale is a fav (RHTDM original) but songs are all great.
    I have this movie that’s not really bad though it suffers from romcom cliches and bad acting Love, breakups, zindagi. I loveeeee the songs.

    Like

    • I have been meaning to watch Love Breakups Zindagi! It looked like a pleasant romcom, I am glad to have that confirmed.

      On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 8:21 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  8. If you ask me, Emraan Hashmi is the king of terrible movies with lovely soundtracks. Although I’m not sure if romcom is the right genre to describe his movies. This is probably the closest

    Like

    • I was thinking about him! But, like you say, hard to think of a true rom-com. Speaking of Tum Mile, the title song is one of my guilty pleasures.

      On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 6:55 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  9. I watched Manju only because the man who made the music was the one who composed Minnale/RHTDM. The music was good and similar to Minnale, but the film was bad and illogical

    Like

  10. A couple of Sajid-Wajid soundtracks…Mujhse Shaadi Karoge and Heropanti…can try to watch both films when they play on TV because the songs of both are hummable and a little underrated as well. I’ll reserve judgment on both movies elsewhere…

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.