Happy 4th! Those of you who donate to me on Patreon (you could join them! Just go here) should have gotten a lovely card, and also should have gotten a card for Father’s Day last month (let me know if you didn’t!). For the rest of you, I will give you a digital card in the form of this post.
1. I know the rest of the movie isn’t very “rah rah, America!”, but this one song on its own really is!
2. I could have done “Columbus Columbus”, but I like this song better! Plus, it feels more “America!”
3. I mostly love this song for the dorky way Shahrukh sings along to the radio, but it also has a definite “Woot! Freedom and excitement and modernity are awesome!” tone. Which is kind of out of synch with the rest of the movie, just like “Hai Junoon” above. Maybe there is something about needing to establish the appeal of America in order to be able to tear it down?
4. This movie goes all the way round again with that, making America be exciting and awesome, and then scary and alien, and then awesome again once you get used to it. But this song perfectly captures that initial “I love this place!” feeling.
5. I freaking love this song. Like, start to cry every time I watch it. And I don’t even like New York!
6. I looooooove Chicago, and it has honestly never looked better than it does here.
7. This movie is barely in America, but the part that is there is really important. Giving our couple a place where they can be free and live their lives as they want.
8. And a fanvid version!
9. A recent movie that really got America, maybe because it wasn’t trying to be “rah rah America”, or “boo, America”, but just “different strokes for different folks, America”. So, two songs!
9. And another Fidaa song! That makes western small town American look really nice, which is cool since the small towns don’t usually get any love in Indian films.
And finally, the all time greatest American song in all of Indian film.