Sui Dhaaga First Song, and I Kind of Love It!!!!

This is such a nice song.  Of that particular kind of love song that isn’t making big statements either with the lyrics or the visuals, just showing the everyday kind of love.  Which makes me hope that the movie as a whole will show us that kind of love too.

Remember my post on love versus arranged marriages?  A lot of people didn’t like it, which probably means I could have written it better.  But what I was trying to get at is what this song shows.  If it is an arranged marriage, the couple isn’t expected to interact that much necessarily.  The household is divided along gender lines, the wife spends more time with her mother-in-law than her husband, and the husband spends more time with his father (or his boss at work or his son).  You perform your duties owed to your marital role, and don’t worry about love necessarily being a part of it.

This song is about a couple sneakily falling in love.  Hiding their partnership in the eyes of the larger family, and even of society.  The opening, with the bus, captures it perfectly.  Anushka gets on in the ladies section.  Varun misses and runs to get on in the male section.  And they meet in the middle. They are married, they are traveling together, but society still divides them into male and female and they have to struggle to be able to be together.

And it is also about the promise of self-employment, that the husband and wife can come together by working together, instead of him being sent out of the house while she stays at home.  This goes back to the first part of my Nepotism series, explaining how film was a family business, husband and wife and kids all working together, no division of labor between “work” and “home”.

I know Maneesh Sharma is producing and Sharat Katariya is directing, but it’s also a Yash Raj film.  And I am thinking about how Rani and Pam Aunty before her have been such visible parts of the fabric of the studio.  Simply because they are the wife of the owner, and therefore qualified to be part of everything.

It’s also just a really well done song video.  The soft seat dancing of the background characters as Varun and Anushka move in counterpoint is beautiful.  And the decision to keep Varun and Anushka in their regular garb, no fancy costumes just for a love song.  No fancy make-up either, they look just like they do in the rest of the film (based on the trailer), but in love.  And, of course, no physical contact beyond that lovely hand holding right at the end.  They are so in synch that they don’t need that.

The lyrics support these ideas, this is a love of one needing the other, not of romantic flowers and beautiful sunsets, but just an every day wish to be together all the time.  I’ve known a lot of married couples like that (my parents, for one thing).  It’s something that seems to really only happen after marriage, usually after years of marriage.  It’s different from the romantic “I just want to be with you all the time” feeling, it’s more of a “I may fight with you, I may ignore you, I may get irritated when you suck on your teeth, but I have lost the ability to feel like myself unless you are around me” kind of feeling.

Oh, and this song and the trailer also make new sense of the title, yes?  “Sui Dhaaga” is “needle-thread”.  The early discussion was about it as a tale of a tailor and a embroiderer working together, it sounded like the title simply referred to sewing.  But now, it looks more and more like a reference to a married partnership.  They are needle and thread, nothing without the other.

26 thoughts on “Sui Dhaaga First Song, and I Kind of Love It!!!!

1. As a weaver, spinner and seamstress, I am very excited about this film. I always get excited when textile craft shows up in movies. The cotton bowing in Delhi 6 and Chennai Express. The discussion of the weaver’s hardship in Swades. There has also been a movie where the main actress is taught to spin.

It will be interesting to see what they get right and wrong, textile wise, in this movie. Art, old and new, is famous in the textile world for getting it wrong.

Anushka treadling the sewing machine while Varun sews is off. A treadle sewing machine is set up for one person to treadle and guide the cloth at the same time. Maybe it is supposed to reenforce them working together, while acknowledging that it didn’t have to be that way?

Also not sure weaving and sewing would typically be done in the same factory by the same people. Very specialized skills.

On the other hand, the tools look right for the jobs at hand.

Oh, and stuff you may actually care about :-):

I love it in this song where Anushka gets teary eating with Varun. If I understand correctly, this is the first time she has had a chance to eat with him, rather than feeding him and eating later?

I also like Varun’s look. His looks and stature are played down just right for where the film appears to need them.

And the whole strong concept of them working together with respect for each other’s skills and ideas. A real breakthrough in movies East and West. I am only slightly tongue in cheek here.

And the song is good!

• I had the same reaction to the treadle machine! But in a different shot from the trailer, I think they showed a whole room and everyone else was treadling their own machine. So I am thinking, also based on how desperate they look, that Varun has some kind of injury which makes him unable to work and Anushka is helping him.

I read the getting teary eating with Varun as simply wanting to spend time with her husband instead of eating in the kitchen with the women while he ate with the men. Which is the same as what you said, except I didn’t necessarily see it as not having to serve him, but just not being separated. You know?

I really like Anushka’s look in the same way! She isn’t glamorous, in any way. She moves and smiles and carries herself like an average woman who doesn’t think about her appearance the way a movie star would. It’s refreshing, they are both trying so hard to be “average” people.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 2:42 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• See, I was more worried about Anushka myself. I have more faith in her in general, but I wasn’t sure she would be able to pull back and play a shy village type woman. She managed it beautifully, I think, based on the trailer. Confident and sure, yes, but also uncertain in the world.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 5:24 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. All the shots from the trailer that I expected would be from a love song are in this one so I’m wondering if this will be the only love song or will there be another couple songs. Also I’m curious if there will be an end credit duet kind of like Dard Karara from DLKH.

• now you’ve got me curious too! Yash Raj has been doing a lot of end credits songs like that lately, sending you out with a smile on your face and also bringing in all the flimi fantasy that was missing from the rest of the film in one final shot.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 5:13 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’d be disappointed if there isn’t a song like that in the end. But I’m really excited about Sui Dhaaga in general! I know I never mentioned it but October was a really disappointing movie for me. I thought it was very pretentious. I’m really glad to see Varun make a movie that’s fun and entertaining again.

• I agree. His sweet spot is fun entertaining films. Everything else just feels wrong. I’m worried about Kalank too, I can’t picture Varun making an epic historical work. He needs to do a big fun action film! Dishoom was kind of that, but he didn’t play the hero, just the sidekick. I want to see him be the straight up hero, I think he could do a really amazing job. Come to think of it, he has a kind of Vijay feel onscreen. I could see him in a Theri remake really easily, good in a fight scene, but also a little silly, a couple serious speeches but mostly light hearted.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 9:17 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m excited about Kalank and I think Varun can pull it off. Even though it’s a period film, it’s not a warrior type movie like a Bajirao Mastani or a Padmaavat. Kalank sounds more like a drama between multiple characters that happens to be set in a different time period.

I agree, he does need to do a big fun action film! I’ve always wanted Varun to remake Temper so I know I’m gonna be salty when Simmba comes out that Ranveer got to do it. Theri sounds good in theory but I don’t think Varun is ready to play a father role just yet. Maybe in another five or so years. One movie I would love to Varun remake is Bhale Bhale Magadivoy. I just feel like he would be perfect for that role! Another movie that I would love to see Varun remake is Allu Arjun’s Race Gurram. It’s the perfect action-comedy film and it would really suit Varun. I’m actually surprised that Race Gurram wasn’t remade in Hindi already. It came out and became a blockbuster in 2014 and that was the time when a lot of Telugu movies were being into Hindi. Actually there were reports recently that Varun had met with Sukumar and that they were interested in working with each other. That would be really interesting if that happens as well though as of now Sukumar is supposed to be doing his next movie with Mahesh.

• They announced something for after Kalank with his Humpty director, but I haven’t heard anything about that in a while, so maybe he would be free to do a big fun action comedy then. He needs to get more films in! October didn’t take long to film, but somehow it still feels like it slowed his momentum.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 11:58 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh yeah, Rannbhoomi which is supposed to be a fantasy film with Shashank Khaitan. That was supposed to come out for Diwali 2020 but last I heard that Karan Johar was trying to take Diwali 2020 for Takht instead. I’m not too excited for Rannbhoomi, they haven’t even announced the rest of the cast yet.

I totally forgot that Varun is doing ABCD 3 with Remo and Katrina next year. It was supposed to come out in November 2019 though there’s a chance that it may get delayed because Katrina signed Bharat in the last minute.

I think Varun has planned it so that he’s doing two films a year from now on. I agree, October felt like a speedbreak but I have high hopes on Sui Dhaaga and Kalank at least.

• I want to see him do 3 a year or 4 a year, compete with Rajkummar.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 8:51 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I would love that too but I think it’s not possible based on the time and effort he is spending for his current movies.

3. Honestly when I first heard about this movie I didn’t care that much until I actually watched the trailer. Now I’m getting more excited for it every time I see more footage! The entire story seems exactly like something I would really like, tailor made if you will (pun intended).

• I am getting more and more excited too! And also a little sad, because 20 years ago this would have been the hit of the year thanks to repeat ticket sales and so on as people fell in love with it. But today, you need that opening weekend box office and this doesn’t feel like an opening weekend box office kind of movie. Although, who knows! Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani was a massive hit, against all expectations.

4. I like this song, and I’m excited now because I see other DLKH vibes in it. Good for nothing guy (as his parents think) learns to respect and love the girl he has married when he sees how strong she is. My kind of film.

• And, unlike DLKH, we get to see the good-for-nothing guy turn into good-for-something, it looks like she inspires him and then he takes it forward and does things for himself.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 7:59 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Looks like Varun might be listening to us! Apparently he’s gonna work with his dad again next year and it will be a comedy entertainer. Looks like this movie is gonna continue David Dhawan’s No.1 series which I’m personally not too thrilled about. But I am just glad that they’re not remaking another 90s hit like Judwaa.

• Varun should always listen to us! If they cast Parineeti opposite him, I’ll know he is definitely reading.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 10:03 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I still can’t believe that Varun and Parineeti haven’t worked together in a full movie. If Sui Dhaaga does well, then maybe YRF will sign them both for a future film.

So far most of David Dhawan’s movies have been remakes of southern movies. Main Tera Hero was a really good remake of Kandireega and it basically feels like a fresh movie. So I’m really curious to see what David Dhawan has taken as inspiration for this movie.

6. Trailer, Song…both give me the impression of positive thinking and human warmth…a kind of “there are ways to a fulfilling marriage” I see respect for the other, courage to be oneself, caring for each other and a common goal…all things that are important for love and happiness.

• Yes! It just feels like the kind of happy positive film we haven’t had in a while. Everything is so dark and serious lately.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 12:29 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: