New Zero Song! With Salman! The Madness of Being Loved

Well, huh!  This is a very interesting comparison with the last song.  And I hope Aanand L Rai is planning to do something deep and interesting comparing the two of them.  Or else it’s just an excuse for a Salman cameo.

Karan-Arjun reunite!  Another friendly appearance between films for Salman-Shahrukh! Someday I should write a discussion of the various times they appeared together and their different meanings, because they have done this kind of friendly appearance A LOT.  Most recently, Shahrukh was in Tubelight for about 5 minutes.  And it was the best 5 minutes of the film, not just because I am a Shahrukh fan, but because that was a terrible movie and the Shahrukh-Salman chemistry really woke things up for a bit.

What I find more interesting than Shahrukh-Salman trying to dance despite one of them having a body that doesn’t work any more and the other having weird CGI altering his body, is the tone of the song.  Like the last song trailer, we get a little bit of dialogue introducing how Shahrukh feels in this moment, why he wants to sing.  And it’s the opposite feeling to the last song.  In this one, he is feeling powerful and happy because someone loves him.  In the last song, he is loving someone else.

If that is what the movie is about, I will be very happy.  The difference between the enduring happiness and magic of loving someone else, versus the fleeting joy of being loved by someone.

Oh, and I am also interested that this song seems to be acknowledging the Kat-Salman relationship through their characters?  I know someone here told me that Abhay Deol is in the film and rumored to be Kat’s love interest.  But the back and forth here sounds like Salman-Kat as though he is her regular boyfriend.  Could just be a meta moment in the song though.

But mostly, I am just interested in the contrast.  The last song was for Anushka, in order to bring her joy, Shahrukh was not thinking about himself (one of the best romantic moves he can make in a movie, when he is singing to the heroine/for the heroine and it really feels like it is just for her, “Preity Woman” to “Mehndi Laga Ke Rakne”).  And he had a dignity there, even with his short stature, they weren’t making fun of it or using it for a visual gag, it was just part of who he was and far less important than what he was saying.

Whereas this song, he has lost his dignity and lost his sense of singing for others.  It is all to praise himself, and he is more excited about singing with Salman than singing “for” Kat.  Kat isn’t even in the room.

Again, could be a coincidence with how the songs were filmed and structured, meaning nothing.  But I hope it does mean something, I hope we see his character lose himself and his sense of self, and then regain it and discover what true love is.

59 thoughts on “New Zero Song! With Salman! The Madness of Being Loved

1. Totally off off topic, but it just dropped so I thought let me share it.

This right there explains the question about that Sangeet weeding ‘teaser’. And I think also about everything else concerning this weeding. The over the topness., describing it as the biggest weeding ever by an Indian celeb and in general her entire Pr strategy leading up to this moment.
    And by the looks of it, I’ll agree that it seems they want to either have a reality show or there is atleast a weeding special coming up on Network TV in the US? Like full blown 50 min of drama, tears, love story of the millennium Co, commentary by both their families and etc.

Going the way she started Quantico I really would never expected myself speculating whether Pc’s weeding will be on Network TV or she will be living happily ever after In a Reality TV Show!

I don’t know if to be happy or sad with this whole thing.

• Ha! I love when I am right!

I think I am “happy” with this turn. For two reasons, first it seems like what the couple both genuinely want, I hate that feeling of one part of a celebrity couple being dragged into the spotlight against their will. Not the case here.

And second, for almost 10 years I have had this feeling about Priyanka as being different in how she approached celebrity than the other Indian actresses and I kept trying to articulate and explain it. And if she does become a reality star (which I cannot imagine literally ANY other actress in India agreeing to), that confirms my feeling.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 7:52 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• How did I never think a reality show as endgame for her?! I can’t believe I missed it. This is definitely a pitch for one. I really don’t like that they are framing it as the biggest wedding of an Indian star ever. Ranveer and Deepika were clearly the biggest of the year so far and Anushka’s and Sonam’s is right up there, too. I would rank her wedding as last in how invested the Indian public seem to be. In the last few year’s it seems like the Indian public and media have kind of written her off in a way…they seem glad that she’s making a name for herself, but they’re kind of like, well she’s one of those Hollywood stars now…she’s not one of us anymore.

When Kris Jenner becomes her new manager and the reality show begins, I wonder if I’ll feel compelled to watch it. I’ve never liked her (and only grudgingly enjoyed some of her performances). I think you’re right that she doesn’t think about celebrity in the same way other Indian actresses do. I can respect that she’s her own person and wants to blaze her own path. But acting is clearly not her biggest joy…it’s the stardom that comes with it.

I liked her white wedding dress, but the traditional dress was tacky:)

• If Kris Jenner is looking for ideas, I came up with the reality show title back in July when they got engaged: “Nick’s Bollywood Bride”. Perfect, right? Just the perfect combo of stardom and stereotypes.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 8:10 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• That’s probably what they’ll go with:) I’d pick “Posturing and Preening with Prick”

• I still can’t get over the stupidity of the PR teams not seeing “Prick” coming down the line and getting ahead of it.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 8:24 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Also remember that a reality show is never about the show itself. It’s about all of the licensing and branding deals that pay the real money and based on the brands they got to sponsor this wedding (Ralph Lauren, Tiffany, Van Cleef and Arpels) marketers believe they have what it takes to bring in viewers and by extension consumers. Attention is great and I’m sure Priyanka and Nick love getting it, but their joint brand could also be very, very lucrative.

• It’s also a nice diverse branding. Nick brings in the young women/new consumers, and PC brings in the desis (maybe).

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:32 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• PC suggested the Prick name herself! Nick was on a talk show promoting something and he was asked what their celebrity couple name is Priyanka started shouting from the audience “Prick!!” errrr

2. So, the song though! I kind of liked it. Salman’s charm is at its peak in this kind of charming bro/bhai persona. I love the lyric where they call Salman Katrina’s “yes-man!” I’m less and less concerned about how the dwarfism and the cerebral palsy story lines will be handled, now I just think I’ll be overwhelmed by the sugar-sweet message/melodrama of this film. And that’s saying something for someone that likes Hindi cinema solely because of the emotional openness of the characters. There does come a point where it goes so far that it becomes fake and condescending. We’ll see. On the other hand, I’m here for the star cameos in this one and this one is probably the peak moment of that, but let’s hope not!

And, I have to say, I’ve always liked Salman’s dance stylings. His short punchy moves and macho grin are pretty cute…I’ve never been a big fan of his romantic acting but he somehow manages to pull of the charm in his songs…the first time I really noticed it was in his songs in Salaam-E-Ishq (such an underrated film and one of my favs of his!).

Liked by 2 people

• Speaking of Tubelight, second to Shahrukh’s cameo were the songs for livening up the film. Same with Sultan, I felt like Salman came alive during those songs in a way he didn’t in the rest of the film. That was one of the biggest losses of Race 3, that he didn’t really dance ever. I hope in this film, his appearance is mostly just this, a magical joyous dance moment with maybe a couple of lines of dialogue before and after, making it really feel like something special.

Shahrukh is very good at selling emotions. It has to go pretty ridiculously far for it to feel like too far. Of course, when it does go that far, it’s worse with Shahrukh than anyone else. Don’t tell anyone, but I have occasionally found myself giggling at the end of Devdas.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 8:19 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Salman looks good in this song, and Shahrukh is very funny. I like it.

You wrote yesterday in comments that you haven’t seen TWM, and I think Raanjhanaa neither, so Zero will be your first Aanand L. Rai’s film?

• Yes, I guess so! I started all of them, TWM and Raanjhana and TWMR and I wasn’t able to finish them. Which is unheard of for me, to not finish a movie once I start it. But that’s how much I disliked them. If I have to watch at least one straight through before Zero, which would you recommend?

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 8:32 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Huh, I thought you’d seen those. I disliked Raanjhana and TWMR (I hated the latter). But I really liked TWM but not sure it would hold up on second viewing. I would watch TWM I think or Raanjhana for another of Rai’s take on obsessive love vs. real love.The more I think of it, the more I’m getting grossed out by Rai’s propensity to glorify obsessive love, it’s a thread throughout (even with Maddy’s character in TWMR). Hope Zero avoids that pitfall, but I think you’re right that SRK is too lovable in these roles to make the obsession with Katrina too dark and creepy. We’re not going into Fan territory here.

Wonder what Angie will recommend?

• Yeah, it was that obsessive love combined with selfish (or seen by the film as selfish) object of the love that grossed me out every time I tried to watch one of his movies. And yet I love him as a producer! So I don’t know what that’s about.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:29 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Our preferences in Aanand Rai’s movies are totally oposite filmilibranian 😉
          Tanu Weds Manu – my reaction was :What? This is the movie everybody was talking about? Nothing special.
          Tanu Weds Manu Returns – I love and watched multiple times. I know some scenes by heart. I don’t agree with the ending, and don’t watch it, but all the rest I adore.
          Raanjhanaa – I watched it 2 years ago, and I’m still angry. I hated it. I detest the plot, the characters, Sonam’s lack of acting skills. There is only one thing I like in this movie – Dhanush. And in fact this movie made me Dhanush lover, and Sonam hater. I can’t stand her since I watched this film.
          So my recommendation – TWMR

• But you hate the TWMR ending! I would have to watch the whole movie and then turn it off 20 minutes before the end.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 10:47 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It’s like Paheli – you enjoy it, watch the ending, and then think – I don’t agree, in my head this movie will end differently.

• Or Raees, except in that case it is the whole last third or quarter that needs to be cut.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 10:57 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I watched Tanu Weds Manu but groaned through it. I just didn’t get what people in India were loving. I turned off TWMR too. I couldn’t understand anything that was going on. But it’s partly also because Kangana is hard to tolerate for me. The way she speaks is like nails on chalkboard.

Because of that I would recommend Raanjhana. Dhanush was very good and even Sonam was fine. The movie is problematic but still enjoyable.

4. So great to know I can come here for analysis and discussion of new Zero stuff! I agree with most of what you said about what the song is implying–either about Salman’s and Kat’s characters or about them in real life–and about being loved vs loving. But I don’t agree about the dignity. I see pure (if self-focused) joy in this song, not being puffed up or undignified. Being happy isn’t the same as being undignified. The structure of the song and dance exceeded my expectations, and the little teaser framing the song was intriguing. I loved the friendly competition of the lyrics, and the moment towards the end when Salman out-Shah-Rukh’s Shah Rukh with his own signature gesture was pretty funny, especially with the wink and nod from Shah Rukh. I also saw a few signs of Gaurav in Bauua’s dancing, which made me feel warm and fuzzy. The mussing up of his hair, the moves that are more Shah Rukh’s spontaneous dancing than choreographed steps. Overall, fun, and eases my mind a bit more about the effects and implications of Bauua being of short stature.

Now–about Priyanka and NIck’s potential reality show. My biggest concern is whether this means that P. has stopped trying to develop a sitcom about Madhuri’s time in the US as a home-maker/online dance school entrepreneur. That is a show I’d dearly love to see, assuming some creative inputs or endorsement from Madhuri and Dr. Nene.

• Speaking of mind-easing, this also eases my mind about how all the other cameos will be. Remember we are promised a massive song later on with appearances from everyone Sridevi on down? If it’s like this, just joyful and happy about being with these people, that feels like “Deewani” from Om Shanti Om and I love “Deewani”.

I have stopped setting my heart on Madhuri projects after the Indira Gandhi movie with her as Indira and Tom Hanks as LBJ and Albert Finney as Peter Ustinov never happened. Wouldn’t that have been amazing?

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 8:34 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Something like Deewani would be awesome, but hopefully with a better actual song. All the hot boys and girls? Really? 🙂

Wait, what did Peter Ustinov have to do with Indira Ghandi? And yes, that would have been a super-interesting movie.

• This is one of my favorite historical footnotes! Peter Ustinov was doing a radio show for the BBC, traveling the globe interviewing interesting people. He was waiting in Indira’s garden to interview here, and she was strolling over to meet him, went through a gate, and was cut in half by machine gunfire from her bodyguards. So forever and ever, Peter Ustinov earns a place in the Indian history books as the guy Indira was going to meet when she was killed. Like how we all now the title of the complete unremarkable and forgettable play “My American Cousin” because it’s what Lincoln was watching.

Not quite such a footnote, Indira’s son Rajiv was traveling and rushed back to Delhi after she was shot, his plane landed and he was met by his best friend since childhood Amitabh Bachchan. He and Amitabh got in a car together, no one knows what they said, but by the time Rajiv arrived at the hospital he had decided he would take over as the new Prime Minister of India. So, yeah, Amitabh changed the course of Indian history. Peter Ustinov was just sort of there.

Oh, and I love the Deewani lyrics! Mostly because they start playing in my head every time I hear some very sincere multi-cultural musical group singing “Om Shanti Om” and it makes me giggle.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:30 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I never heard about that Madhuri/Hanks project…that would have been interesting.

So it is confirmed that the rest of the cameos will be in a group song? It’s kind of a rip-off of Deewani then? I’ve always liked when just one or two stars pop up randomly in a song, basically the way Karan Johar does it. We’ll see if they can top “Deewani” in Zero!

• My impression is that it’s a song? But I could be wrong. It’s definitely something small, there is talk of a lot of stars in the film, but there wasn’t any big 2 week period when no one was available to film anything else or anything like that. It could also go the OSO route of doing an awards show and just showing people reacting in the audience.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:33 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• That’s what I’m picturing, more of the Lucky By Chance cameos than the OSO style. Or maybe something like the pretty lame Bombay Talkies theme. I want them all to have a very clear purpose or role/line/moment in whatever they do. I wonder if they went the Welcome to New York route and even filmed the scene close to whenever everyone was gathered together at an awards show…

• Just looked at the remaining names that are known cameos. For some reason I thought there were more than that. Now I’m betting that this will definitely be a fantasy song featuring SRK romancing all of these women from Sridevi to Alia Bhatt all in one song…kind of like the one in RNBDJ. I think that could work beautifully, especially if they somehow allude to their iconic roles or collaborations with him.

• And if it picks up on the (hopeful) theme of the film, learning to appreciate his true love with Anushka and not be blinded by stardust.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:58 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Madhuri was offered a role on the West Wing once upon a time. She was pregnant and had to turn it down. I would have much preferred her as our crossover TV star than PC.

• I saw a short interview with Madhuri once where she said she was the one was developing that show but then it was recommended to her to join up with Priyanka. I’m guessing because PC had contacts at ABC which would be useful instead of trying to go in cold alone.

Development deals hardly ever go anywhere so I don’t expect anything to come out of it. It’s such a long process even to get a pilot greenlighted and then that show has to be picked up.

5. You know something Music is supposed to be heard rather than watched .So listening to both the songs for me it sounds ok(second song) and good(first song) neither of them sound that great.Did people stop composing good memorable songs?But the good news is nothing cringe worthy which is a good sign.Also they sound like every other song.Even srk-salman coming back together makes me want to say…”meh” ..all thanks to the song…Once again the songs are not bad.

• I just don’t think Ajay-Atul are that good. The music starts with the composers, right? I don’t know why Ajay-Atul are getting this jobs, Amit Trivedi or Vishal-Shekhar would be so much better so long as Pritam is taking a break. I appreciate that they are using just one composer team for the whole soundtrack instead of mixing and matching, I just wish it was a better team.

Speaking of, you should watch Teefa in Trouble!!!! It’s on Netflix now and Ali Zafar stars and wrote and sang all the songs, and it just feels so much more interesting and cohesive because of that.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:07 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• And it’s SO GOOD. Yeah, I am definitely reposting the review. To tell everyone about it and give them a place to say “Thank you Margaret, you are wise and wonderful and this is indeed the Greatest Movie of 2018”.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:35 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I have no clue why Ajay-Atul are in demand.ugh Pritam he takes “inspiration” from other songs. As for this movie like I mentioned before I just don’t find the music that special .I might listen to the song(the Anushka-SRK one) maybe more than twice but then that’s it.

• I LOVE Ajay Atul lol its a good thing music is subjective right 😐 I agree with your mixing and matching opinion – I do think whenever that’s done, the soundtrack is better. But AA are great! in my opinion…

• I’m guessing that was the main purpose for the Delhi reception, to get the big names from politics. I’m assuming no film/sports figures in attendance? If there are, tell me!

• Nobody so far but maybe some will show up later? But it seems like the whole point was to get Modi to attend and he did. Ironic since his party is always on a rampage against inter-religious marriages and uses the threat of Christian/Muslim conversions to scare everyone.

• I take back what I said earlier. I guess the Indian public still does care about PC:) Having Modi at her reception is peak PC.

I think there will be a separate Mumbai reception for Bollywood. Do you think SRK will be there?:)

• If there is a Bombay reception (and the political scene is very different from the film scene, especially now, so I wouldn’t take Delhi as that much of a harbinger), I would guess Shatrughan Sinha, Anil Kapoor maybe, maybe Preity Zinta, definitely Rekha. People like that, who go to most events and don’t have a very busy schedule. Maybe Amitabh. But then, almost nobody came to the engagement. And there might also be people who stay away because of cameras as much as come. Aamir for instance seems very unlikely if there is a big international media presence.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 1:37 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. I forget to write that I’m so happy this song has subtitles. Only in english (TOH trailer spoilt me 😉 ) but still, I was so angry that they pretend everybody talks hindi and understands the promotions.

7. Another Video I want to share regarding this whole weeding.

Wendy is her usual shady self here, actually even nicer than normal!
    But what made me cringe is the way PC and her Background are being portrayed. I mean ‘royalty’ and ‘heroes’… Etc.
    Not to disrespect the work her parents have done… Commendable absolutely. But still they where no National Heroes no royals just normal doctors.

And now the more I’m seeing her western way of showing this weeding. I understood she’s completely going for the image kill from independent boss woman who is Unicef ambassador, lives an ambitious life to Princess. Doesn’t it also make perfect sense why Modi had to be there… Not to show off to India that much but the Western Media… ThaT see I’m indeed the biggest thing over here even the PM shows up to my wedding! Ha!

But more so of the biggest celebrity in India. And with royal blood. Hahaha this is actually funny even writing it. From a normal heroine (not even superstar) to Indian royalty! You just have to Love her PR.!!

But they are seriously trying to sell it to America and the world.. And believe it or not I’ve read enough comments by none indians… They’re all buying into this ‘royal, larger than life’ weeding.

Which brings me to my Last point : The Meghan Weeding!!
    I truly believe now this was her trigger for all of this drama!
    Everything about this weeding seems like wannabe Royal! Wedding delress – very similar to Grace Kelly Monaco weeding.
    Her Veil!! COMPLETELY NUTS!!
    That’s why the Palace and not some Vine yard.
    And am also convinced she will show this weeding on TV like the Meghan one.

Wow that Weeding must’ve blowed her Mind, huh? I mean she even captioned it on her instagram:’ once upon a fairytale…’
    Who calls their own weeding a fairytale before anyone else has pointed it out? She wants that royal tag too bad… Is that some obsession?

• I’ve noticed this before, a kind of disconnect between “army” meaning across cultures. My understanding is that “army” in India, at least for the officers, is a very upper class and well-paying position. So it’s not so much of a sacrifice as it might be in other places. And there’s another disconnect with royalty, based on the number of royal families in India, and how well family connections are documented, having “royalty” in your family isn’t quite as impressive as it might be elsewhere.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 4:23 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I agree. The Delhi reception was only for Modi and it wasn’t a show for India because it’s not something that impresses Indians. Modi was also at Anushka and Virat’s wedding reception and almost all the celebrities have mingled with him multiple times. The celebrity and politics nexus is very different in India than it is in the Western world. The actors participate in state tourism campaigns, drives to stop diseases like polio, cleanliness campaigns and other government measures. They have significant contact with all politicians including the Prime Minister. Instead of being impressed, most comments on desi sites were berating Modi for wasting his time attending celebrity weddings instead of doing his work.

For the Western audience, it’s impressive and helps create the image that PC is the biggest thing that has ever existed in India. She is practically royalty who marries in a palace with an 80 foot veil, cuts her enormous wedding cake with a sword, the Prime Minister is a guest at her party and all of India is obsessed with the wedding. That is again false because for actual Indians, both the Deepveer and Anushka/Virat union take precedence. It seems very much like she wants to be seen as an equal to Meghan Markle.

I also saw a clip from EOnline or one of those sites that PC sells a lot of stories to referring to her as something like “the biggest global megastar.” Really?! In the US, she is doing cameos occasionally and in India, she hasn’t had a movie release in years and the last one was a supporting role.

The devil works hard but Priyanka’s PR works harder.

Liked by 2 people

• I was thinking with the Prime Minister, it’s also about what weddings are. In America, the President or someone like that coming to a wedding would be a very big deal. Like, his security would have to come up with special plans and the media would scramble to cover it and so on. But him going to some fundraiser event for some group would not be a big deal. And I think in India weddings would be more like fundraisers in America? That is, this probably isn’t the only wedding he is going to this month, or even this week. Celebrities, other politicians, wealthy folks, if they have a major wedding in Delhi, he will pop by and take a picture and leave. It’s an honor, but it’s not an extra honor, it’s the kind of thing he does constantly.