Happy Monday! It was a snowy wet blechy weekend here, so I don’t really mind getting back to the cozy little office.

This is where you get to ask me anything you want, about new trailers or new songs and what I think, or new gossip stories, or how my foot doctor meeting went, or anything at all! Just keep swinging back all week as you think of new things to ask.

And I have a question for you! I reposted my Badla review yesterday, such an interesting remake of a non-Hollywood film. Anyway, what film (or miniseries or whatever) from anywhere in the world outside of India do you want to see remade in India?

I’ll pick a Welsh TV show I just binged, Keeping Faith. A mother of three says good-bye to her husband one morning and he disappears. She spends the next week exploring his life and learning he had lost all their money, he was acting as a lawyer for mobsters, then an informant for corrupt police, and so on and so forth, and at the same time her in-laws turn against her and the police suspect her of the murder. But, here’s the fun bit, she meets one of her husband’s client, a former criminal trying to do better and earn custody of his daughter, who helps her and supports her and saves her whens he goes to talk to gangsters and so on. So what we end up with is a proper housewife drawn into a dark world on a quest for her husband, and increasingly attracted to the hard man with a past who is helping her. I want to see this! I want Tabu as a smart funny charming housewife who has her world rocked, I want Irrfan as the hard man turned gentle and repentant and trying to do better, and I want Akshay as the sleazy husband who acts perfect but is secretly weak and cowardly.

34 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me the Week I Visit My Sister?

1. Top Secret. My favorite movie growing up, I would love to see it set in India & Pakistan. I don’t know who would play the young Indian Singer performing in Pakistan, or who would play the young Pakistani “resistance”, or how to deal with the fact that there isn’t a “resistance”. But if there was singing and dancing with adorable actors and stupid jokes surrounding cross border love, I’d be into it.

• I just looked up the plot, and it completely confused me! But I love the idea of the dimwitted but charming young pop star falling in love with a rebel girl and getting all caught up in her thing. Maybe set it as a north-south thing instead? Go into Kerala or one of those communist strongholds? Our young rebel girl is trying to coordinate a protest of the politician that the singer is singing at the fundraiser of? But then they fall in love and it all gets complicated.

We could also just make the bad guys “gangsters”, evil corrupt political/gangster/village feud folks kind of like in Chennai Express. Her father is kidnapped and forced to work for them, she is a young rebel, our hero is in town for a concert?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 8:30 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh oh! I get to show you my favorite song!

There are several communist strongholds in India of various philosophical levels. Kerala is the strongest and stablest. They’ve been the party in power several times over the years, and in terms of movies (where I know the most) it’s kind of standard for a young actor to have a “Communist Hero” role.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:39 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It was great! I have arthritis! For no particular reason. Anyway, I get to have foot surgery scheduled at my convenience, one time surgery and I should be fixed for life because I am all young and healthy (except for my weird unknown cause arthritis in one toe). I’m gonna wait for the snow to melt and sometime in the spring, I will schedule surgery and then move in with my parents for two weeks while I recover.

Thank you for asking!

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:27 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Oh, I have a Monday question. Isn’t the house in Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman the SAME house used in Deewana? And weren’t the two films basically filmed at the same time? Is this house on a studio lot or is just the 90’s movie house?

• Probably true! There are only like 3 full studios in Bombay, “studios” meaning actual physical locations. So the same “hospital set” and “mansion set” and so on and so forth show up over and over again. Alternatively, could just be that the producer let them use his house and it was the same producer on both films.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:43 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. So many. Anything from Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion to Morocco. I really want that Wicker Man remake though.

I followed Harsh K on instagram, and he’s a complete meathead. His life is selfies and buying shoes, it’s amazing.

• If I looked like that, I might devote my life to selfies too.

Just to jump off your start, who has the correct androgynous feel for Morocco?

And for Romy and Michelle, I’m picturing two woman who went to a fancy prep school, most of their classmates ended up overseas, so they are putting on a show of being a fancy NRI type in a way that skewers NRI lifestyle and image. Juhi and ????

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 1:58 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• If anything. I wish he’d post more pictures of his face and fewer of his shoes.

Yes, see, Romy and Michele is super right. Rani? It would be so great.

I can’t get past Kareena for Morocco. The only other one with enough personality is Sonam, unless we go older. I think.

• Kangana would have been perfect for Morocco if she wasn’t NUTS.

I like Rani and Juhi, I don’t think they’ve been cast together and they are both good at comedy. Alternative, Juhi and Vidya?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 2:36 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yeah she would be, but I’m pretending she doesn’t exist these days.

Vidya isn’t wacky enough to me. I was trying to think of Govinda costars, I think that’s the right energy. What I can’t solve is who would be the Heather Mooney.

4. I don’t like Karan’s movies but this could be really fun if it ever happens:

I just thought of something related to your old man post: Hrithik will have to step up the movie schedule now that he’s getting older. The leap in visible aging accelerates when you get into your 50s (ask me how I know 😭)

• I would have said Hrithik was over the hill two years ago, but now that War has introduced “silver fox Hrithik”, I think he’s got another 5-10 years to ride out the attractiveness.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:10 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Did you see that Varun is teaming up with Shashank again?!? It’s not another Dulhania movie but it still looks like a comedy and it’s coming out New Year’s next year. Just based on the poster, I’m guessing that it’ll be some sort of action comedy.

• Oh fun! Varun should do more comedy, he’s got the physical skills for it.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:40 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes! I’m excited about this solely because it’s Varun and Shashank back together with a comedy. So far the rumors have said that this is a comic thriller. Also that Bhumi and Jhanvi are also going to be a part of the movie. I don’t know how accurate these reports are but it sounds fun.

• Bhumi and Jhanvi is fine, but I still really want Varun to co-star with Pari or Sara.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 9:44 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Sara’s going to be in Coolie No.1 and I’m really looking forward to that! They looked cute in the poster they released a while back.

Sadly, I’m thinking that Varun and Parineeti will never be cast together. What happened to Parineeti anyway? It’s like she disappeared after Namaste England came out.

• I think she still has the Badminton biopic she took from Shraddha happening? That was weird, because the leaked reason was that Shraddha just wasn’t serious enough about her prep work. But one thing that has always been consistent about Shraddha is that she does her work and works hard. Now I am wondering if she just left because it was a doomed project and they were stuck with Pari., and badmouthed Shraddha for leaving.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 9:51 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. I just watched Baby Mama again this weekend and while there is no equal to Tina Fey and Amy Poehler in any country, it’s a movie about surrogacy so it seems like it would fly in India. Anushka could be the type-A but adorably awkward and geeky career woman who wants a baby and Taapsee could be the earthy surrogate and they could be buddies and have a baby together. I also watched Love, The Coopers and it’s so reminiscent of Dil Dhadakne Do–dysfunctional family, narrated by a famous older actor in the persona of a dog (Steve Martin, in the case of the Coopers). They both came out in 2015, so it’s just a coincidence I think.

7. Hey Margaret! I forgot to mention it earlier but I’m finally taking an Intro to Film Analysis class this semester. The first class is later today and I’m sorta excited yet nervous. Do you have any advice?

• How exciting! You are going to do great. The biggest thing is just a mental shift from accepting a film as is and thinking of it as “good” or “bad” versus thinking about what it is saying, and how, and why it might be saying that. And you’ve already got that, thanks to your DCIB training and natural talent.

And hey, spread the good DCIB word! In my experience, film classes are TERRIBLE in terms of Indian film, if this one follows that pattern, you can whisper “hey, for the real stuff, go to this website”.

And when you start watching the “standard” film class films, I can write fanfics for you! Which won’t necessarily help you in class, but it should be fun for both of us 🙂

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:42 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• We just had our first class yesterday and it sounds like it’s gonna pretty fun! I’ll keep you updated on what we’ll be doing. I don’t think we’ll be really starting anything until next week though.

8. Priyanka was announced to be starring in an Amazon show called The Citadel, produced by the Russo Brothers. It’s supposed to have a Mexican, Spanish and Indian version too. The Indian one is being made by Raj and DK. I’m guessing it leaves the possibility open for future crossovers.

• The bottom one looks like a painting and the top one is a photograph.
        I don’t like them. She always looks like a 12 year old. She should have waited a few years before taking roles like mafia queens. She just looks too young. I can’t take it seriously.