Happy Wednesday! This week is just zipping along, must be all the sex theme posts I am putting up.

I’ll start!

Reading: Nothing! My brain is oozing out of my ears. Oh, and a little bit of research about whipworm, Albie Dog’s intestinal parasite. It’s a little worm that lives inside of him, and which he gets by eating unclean water, soil, feces, flesh, rotting food, and so on. You know, stuff dogs like eating.

Watching: Thanks to this week’s theme, I have rewatched the sex scenes in Kabhi Kabhi, Humpty Sharma, Roja, and Alaipayuthay. It’s been a good week.

Thinking: This weekend, I make over my whole apartment! I am SO EXCITED. There’s all these long Saturday chores I’ve been putting off and finally I have a Saturday free to do them all. I’ll take my rug in to be cleaned, build my new coffee table and get rid of the old one, maybe even get a slipcover for the couch that Albie Dog has ruined.

Listening: I ran out of ideas for my playlist, so I just let The Internet pick Pritam hits for me. This one is better than I remembered.

Now, question for you! What is your favorite sex scene in Indian film?

(“sex scene” doesn’t necessarily mean “scene where they have sex”, but a scene that is directly sex adjacent, or sex related. Not just love or flirtation, but sexy sex.)

Like, for instance, I think as of this moment the sex conversations in My Name is Khan might be my favorites. The one on the wedding night when Shahrukh giggles that it will take more than a minute, and the one later when he interrupts Kajol while she is making dinner to suggest sex “now”.

60 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching Post: What Are You Reading and Watching and Thinking and Listening to This Week?

1. Watching: I’m slowly getting excited about Indian films again…Kumbalangi Nights really did jump start things again (what a brilliant film!). I also tried to watch Notebook again because you loved it so much and I stuck with it and I really liked it! The romance was so sweet and wasn’t as gimmicky as I thought. And the setting was beautiful and sad all at the same time. I thought both leads were adequate but had potential.

Then I saw Jawaani Jaanemann with my neighbor (in the last year I finally have started to see more Hindi movies in the theater thanks to her!). She didn’t love it, but I (being the Saif die-hard fan I am) kinda loved it! It’s exactly what you expect it to be and Alaya is wonderful. The first young actor I’ve been excited about in a long time! She’s got the charm and natural style of Alia but without the little bit of artifice and pretty doll crying thing going on. I could have watched a full movie of Tabu swanning about being an annoying hippie earth mother. Even the small role of Alaya’s boyfriend in the film was done perfectly. It does have script issues and could have been a bit more deep, but I still have no major complaints and it has great rewatch potential. Saif continues to impress with his acting choices. Glad Sara didn’t do this film with him as it would have been too gimmicky and Alaya’s acting style grounded it. (I’m a bit concerned about Sara’s acting potential after the Love Aaj Kal trailer!).

Finally saw Mahananti (Telugu version) and glad I spent the time. Definitely put Keerthy Suresh on my radar (beautiful performance). DQ was great in a grayish role. Beautiful art production, costumes, etc.

Also watched the Anupama interview with Imtiaz Ali and kind of enjoyed his Sufi-inspired philosophy about love stories and his movies. His self-awareness is also quite charming. He really does respond to criticism of Jab Harry Met Sejal without distancing himself from the final product.

Oscars this weekend…Little Women or bust! (I could care less about most of the films though).

Reading: There There by Tommy Orange for One Book One Philadelphia book club and just finished Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn (a moving romance novel where the heroine does hand lettering for a living)

• Finally, more people watching Notebook! It’s not a brilliant movie or anything like that, but it is a really really nice little love story for what it is.

Glad to hear your assessment of Jiwani Jaanemann. I have tentative plans to see it tonight and I was getting nervous it wouldn’t be as good as I hoped. A nice fun movie with Tabu playing an irritating earth mother sounds perfect.

I hate Mahanati, for reasons I go into with great detail in my review. So, don’t read that! Continue to bask in enjoying a movie and ignore Margarets needless nit picking.

I am skipping the Oscars this year, but I am thinking of putting up a related post. Like, “who would be the rebellious young director in Hindi film? What about the newest It Girl?”

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 9:04 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Don’t go in to JJ with really high expectations and you’ll be entertained! It’s silly fun with a bit of (believable) heart to it. Kubra Sait is also quite good in the “Neha Dhupia role”. Can’t wait to see your review!

• Oh good, I will keep my expectations low and warn everyone else to do likewise.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 10:59 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Sunil Dutt’s sadomasochism in Geeta Mera Naam, Binte Dil, Maar Diya Jaye Ki Chhod from Mera Gaon Mera Desh, and whenever Govinda gets sexually intimidated.

I guess strictly speaking the whipping in GMN isn’t sexual, but it’s not like the movie gives you any other context except that Johnny’s really into 1. rules and 2. punishment because he has control issues. None of which makes it NON-sexual.

• Heck, if we’re counting Binte Dil, I feel like we can also count the “I know your secret” private office convo in War.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 9:12 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• They are essentially the same thing. Just put Hrithik in a bathtub, and have him order Tiger to sing for him before they talk, identical.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 10:04 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Is it insulting or is it purposefully camp? I don’t have an answer, that’s just the question. Or maybe the question is, are some people involved playing it as camp and some as insulting?

• The actors are absolutely playing it self-consciously (I never know about SLB’s intentions), and that is what makes it camp, because it undermines what the text is saying. It’s why their relationship came off as the most real and developed in the entire movie and is what everyone was talking about.

I think you could make a case for all of SLB’s movies being male gazey in a bisexual way, and that causes tension with the patriarchical views the text of the movies espouse, but he’s very hit or miss with me so while I’ve seen some of his movies enough times to write a book about them, I have not finished others. So I’d say it is both insulting and purposefully camp.

• If I was willing to watch Guzaarish, and rewatch Ram-Leela, Saawariya, Padmavat, and Bajirao, I could make a stab at “SLB is totally gay” as a thesis statement for film analisys.

Here’s a fun one that just occurred to me! Picture Khamoshi. Now, picture it if instead of the parents being deaf, they were gay. Manisha is raised in this subculture, her parents are horrified when her natural instincts bring her out of it, and so on and so forth. And Salman is the one who loves her into straightness.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 2:34 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’ve heard that rumour before, and I can see why people would think it based on his movies. Depending on who you think is the stand-in for the director, the women or the men, you could say his movies have a (self-hating) gay perspective. I don’t think focusing too much on the director though, so if I de-personalise and look at the movies only, I’d say they have an ambivalent gender and sexuality.

• Yeah, only mass murderers and crazy people are LGBT, thanks SLB. Actually, I think you could make a case that it’s only bisexual men who are the predators, because strictly speaking Jim’s character is faithful and loving. Which is (used to be?) a common stereotype among gay men.

Anyway, this is how I feel about all of Padmaavat, it’s discriminatory and terrible and I don’t agree with it at all but it hits all the spots of what my ID wants in a movie so I still love it and watch it all the time.

• Here’s something I find fascinating! The whole “gay” part of the story only came up because of rumors spread by enemies of the real people. The Jim Sarbh character was a slave who worked his way up to army commander and trusted friend through talent, the upper classes didn’t like the uppity lower class Jim getting so high and so started a rumor that they were lovers, rather than friends who respected each other’s abilities. I mean, they could still have been lovers, but the spin was “Jim isn’t actually a brilliant general who succeeded through merit because a low class guy like him couldn’t have merit, he must have slept his way to the top”.

You could do a whole paper on how the meaning of queerness and gayness shifts through history and the different ways people use that dynamic to bring people down.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 2:25 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I thought he was a eunuch? In the old muslim courts, eunuchs were both basically sex slaves/wives like other members of the harem and also fulfilled various administrative and military functions, so to me it seemed a very natural character and one with a solid basis in historical fact. But if he wasn’t one, then yes.

• He may have been a Eunuch? But I know he moved out of the area he was supposed to be in, and into General level. I noticed that particularly because Jim’s character was established as a super fighter hand to hand, but there was no discussion of him as a strategist and thinky leadership stuff.

Also, Ranveer married Jim’s sister in reality, that would have been a super interesting plotline for SLB to add!

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 9:03 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• You kind of get that later on, where he helps him come up with and execute plans and stuff.

Seems like a plotpoint that would be right up his alley, I guess it would make the story too cluttered.

• Oh man! In the version SLB would make for you, were you to be a secret powerful billionaire who could blackmail people into making films just for you, Jim’s sister would just be Jim in a wig, and there would be this surreal unspoken possibility that it is Jim playing a double role, or that it is Jim-the-character pretending to be his own sister in order to marry Ranveer.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 9:45 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• War Sequel? Tiger’s dead, but his spookily similar sister is alive?

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 1:13 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Only question is if we want it to be never acknowledged that it is Tiger in a wig for the pure surreal satisfaction, or if we want a dramatic scene when he pulls off the wig for the camp satisfaction.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 2:07 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• In that case, I vote we make it like Kaho Na Pyar Hai where she isn’t Tiger’s sister or anything, she is just a random person who happens to look exactly like him. Hrithik can see her from a distance, become obsessed with her, recruit her to his team and convince her that she has the natural fighting abilities that Tiger had (even though she has spent her life as a humble shy girl at a florist shop until now), and then there will be this whole anguish in their relationship of whether he really loves her, or just loves her because he is trying to turn her into Tiger. Like Vertigo, but better.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 9:23 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• From what I remember reading, Allauddin never married Malik Kafur’s sister. When Nusrat Khan invaded Gujrat in 1299 he captured Malik Kafur (Jim’s character) a salve from Khambhat and the chief consort of the King, Kamala Devi among many. Kamala then became Allauddin’s third wife. However, given the way history is documented who knows is this is accurate. Also, SLB isn’t really known for accuracy, so in our version we could make Jim’s sister Ranveer’s wife.

• Or, Jim in a wig, if we want total camp.

Also, I just published a post that requires your expert opinions.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 10:13 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I just re-read my comment and realized how unclear it was. What I was trying to say was that Malik never had a sister. The person who is mistakenly said to be his sister was the wife of the King in Gujarat that was captured and not related to Malik.

But I am all about Jim in a wig being married to Allauddin.

Also, I think a lean Tiger without muscles and the right make up doesn’t even need a wig to look like a beautiful women with modelesque features (see Heropanti).

• Yes! And he can play a totally new character (as described in some other comment I just put somewhere) who is a shy innocent young girl that Hrithik tries to make over into a commando because of his obsession with replacing Tiger. His hair would need to be slightly longer than it is in the original, more sort of soft and curled to frame his face right, but that’s the only change necessarily.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 9:42 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. My favorite sex scene changes a lot depending on how I’m feeling but right now Hrithik & Katrina in ZNMD is high on my list as is Jodha Akbar (when I get over my Hrithik crush that will no doubt change).

Did you see this?

• No no, Kareena is a good girl who would never be attracted to a married man, and Hrithik was married which means all feelings of attraction towards any woman besides his wife are impossible. Also, Madhuri’s breasts are completely real and Amitabh doesn’t wear a wig.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 10:58 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I was thinking DIno Morea, but NNM makes more sense. Although still not a lot of sense.

I assume this is from MDK times, so I don’t know why NMM would be there.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 9:15 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Last week I saw Dear Comrade and the more I think about it, more I dislike it. I could be so good. If only the writers instead of being all “we are so modern, our heroine is a girl with a passion and without make up! “, asked once what this girl really wants and saw her as a real person and not a mean to show their hero better and so comrade “Look she is not girly and stil he loves her. Let’s praise him”. So beautiful romantic scenes wasted in this crap.

I also saw Shimla Mirchi. It’s not perfect but definitely better than The Zoya Factor or Motichoor Chaknachoor (The latter is so far the worst movie I tried to watch this year). Shimla Mirchi has some nice moments, what a pity Hema Malini’s scenes ruin at all. There should be more backstory of the protagonists and less crazy cougar stuff.

• Better than The Zoya Factor! Wow! Although, I may have graded The Zoya Factor on a curve just because I kind of liked some stuff. I’m not sure how good it is objectively.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 5:14 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I couldn’t finish The Zoya Factor, but I finished Shimla Mirchi, and that says a lot. But I know I have odd taste in movies and maybe for you Zoya will be better.

5. On the (very long) flight from India last week, I was on a movie marathon and watched the following from the entertainment catalog:
    Veere di Wedding – It was fun, but they had dubbed over the profanities (f**k became chuck and so on) and removed Swara’s ‘controversial’ scene. Everyone was good but Sonam, except when she was being assertive, came across as whiny.
    Anari – I was excited to see a Shashi-Sharmila movie, but sadly it was kinda weird with an unsatisfactory ending.
    Lahore Se Aage – Pakistani roadtrip rom-com with Saba Qamar (Hindi Medium). She was lovely, but the male actor opposite her was forgettable which made it less fun.
    Waar – Pakistani spy action thriller with slick, stylish action and production value. Strangely, almost all the dialogues are in English and it comes off as showy.
    All in all, it was a good way to spend the hours.
    Have you watched this?

I wanna believe SRK was pulling Anupama’s leg, but the scary thing is I can also believe that this actually happened!

• I can’t watch video at work, please please summarize the SRK-Anupama thing!

I love Veere, so glad you watched it! Interesting point about Sonam, I agree. Maybe she should play more assertive roles? Maybe that is what fits her better?

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 1:39 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Here goes: SRK told her this story when she was writing her book on him. She asked about the craziest, most absurd scripts ever pitched to him. He said a bearded, artsy director offered him a character who can’t marry the woman he loves and in his sorrow becomes a gangster, while the woman marries a cop. At some point the cop chases this gangster and shoots him, he somehow makes it on to a train on which the woman happens to be. He’s lying wounded, thirsty for water. This woman is pregnant and the only way to save his life is that she breastfeeds him! Here Shah quotes the director as, ‘it is at this moment that they become brother and sister’! When Shah told the director that this is a very odd scene, he got angry and reprimanded him with ‘what a dirty mind you have!’

• Oh! Yes! That’s in Anupama’s book. I totally believe it, it’s only slightly different from the Ram Tere Ganga Malli scene of breastfeeding and Raj Kapoor’s defense of “it’s about the beauty of motherhood” or whatever, versus being about Mandakini frontal nudity.

SRK does like telling good stories though, so maybe that’s exactly the script that was pitched to him, maybe he embellished a bit for effect…

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 2:47 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. omg can you do a bonus Valentine’s Week of Sex post on that My Name is Khan moment(s)? I wouldn’t consider it a sex scene, but the fact that a person with disabilities got a healthy sex life in a mainstream Bollywood movie seems pretty groundbreaking to me. Also Margarita with a Straw even more so, because Kalki has sex with men and women.

Currently watching the Oscars because it’s Sunday and it’ll probably be boring because the same people will win the big awards that have been winning the big awards all season.
    Reading, I just started The Map From Here to There which is a sequel to The Start of Me and You which I LOVED and have been waiting for this book to come out since I knew there was gonna be a sequel, and it’s really cute so far.
    Thinking, still a bit about the sad stuff from Saturday but I tried new hair products and I’m trying to pick myself back up from it.
    Listening, it was the anniversary of the release of Hasee Toh Phasee a few days ago, so I listened to the album, and it’s so incredible and underrated. One of the few Bollywood soundtracks where I genuinely love every single song.

And I can sit here and think about it, but my gut vote for best sex scene is HSKD. Because obviously, this is me we’re talking about.

• I was thinking about maybe a post on “movies where the sex scene was absolutely necessary and not because of pregnancy”. MNIK would fit, so would HSKD. For reasons of plot, or character, or something, we really did need to know that sex was happening.

Alternative, movie where the sexual tension without sex was the absolute highest, which brings me to Hasee to Phasee šŸ™‚

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 5:49 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m super late in coming back to this, and Valentine’s Week of Sex is basically over, which I’m super sad about, but I am super supportive of both post ideas. The scene in HTP where Sid ties Pari’s blouse has my stomach twisting up just thinking about it. *fans self*