Happy Wednesday! Today is the day I move in with my parents! So, leaving my comfortable 4 room apartment that I have all to myself, to squeeze in to their 5 room apartment and bounce off the walls. But better than hitting that 7pm time after the work calls are over when I start to go buggy from isolation. (reminder, keep comments light. Happy Place!)

I’ll start!

Reading: Robert Crais! Recommendation from my brother-in-law by way of my sister, especially the book “Suspect”. Which is written half from the perspective of a dog. No no, it’s a lot better than it sounds.

Watching: I finally finished the last season of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and now I am going back to the beginning and watching forward again. Such a good show! And strangely inspiring, all these broken people finding their way. Of course, now I am moving in with my parents, and it’s not really their kind of show, so I may switch to something more peaceful and BBC-y. Death in Paradise, Father Brown, Midsommer Murders.

Thinking: I am bringing SO MUCH STUFF!!! And probably going overboard on the jigsaw puzzles (I’m bringing 20). Biggest concern of course, will Albie Dog have enough toys? On the other hand, he’s a dog, I can just hide one of the toys for a few days and then bring it out again and he will think it is new.

Listening: My moving music! You can’t not be inspired when you hear this:

Now, question for you! As Shashifest continues, Who is Your Favorite Shashi Co-star?

I really like him with Sharmila! She is so polished and pretty and perfect and dimpled, it is this great contrast to his big enthusiastic out there messy kind of personality.

UPDATE: Filmikudhi just shared, out of the goodness of her heart, a photo of her new puppy meeting his “cousin” (Filmikudhi’s sister’s very very large dog). Be warned, your cold little icey heart will melt. They love each other!

41 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching: What Are We Reading and Watching and Thinking and Listening To This Week?

• Ooo, Shabana! That’s a good one. I love how they are onscreen, and how different they were in real life. Always such equals onscreen, while in reality it was more of a father-daughter, or “hot friend of my father who sees me as a little kid but I have a crush on him” kind of relationship.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 9:13 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. The Shashi-fest has been amazing. Thank you so much.

This article just came out, rhapsodizing about his beauty. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/shashi-kapoors-affable-charm-on-screen-elegance-made-him-a-class-apart/articleshow/74688564.cms

“Long ago, Shakespeare wrote Sonnet 18 for that young man who was more beautiful than a summer’s day, but if there were to be a more modern, Indian equivalent, it would undoubtedly be our very own, sweet and dapper Bollywood superstar, Shashi Kapoor. Here’s remembering the actor on his 82nd birth anniversary.”

Co-star – Rekha and Sharmila.

• Okay, now we have to go through the alphabet for him again so I can use “Panache” for “p” instead of Prithvi Theatres.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 9:25 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. So I subscribed to Zee5 mainly to watch Anoop Menon film Sarvopari Palakkaran. The short synopsis I read said it’s about traditional guy who wants to marry traditional, shy and obedient woman but instead falls in love with modern and outgoing girl. I think I’ve never read more “my cup of tea” plot. That’s why I subscribed. Unfortunately the movie is not about it! Or better – only a little part is, and the rest is about a bad guy who sells young girls into prostitution and our hero , who is a cop, tries to catch him.
    I was waitng for Anoop to learn that the things he thought about women are all wrong and stupid (women shouldn’t wear leggins or sleevless, or have male friends or life), but no, he remains almost the same as he was in the beggining.

Subscription served me to watch another movie I’ve been searching for months – Yours Truly (Soni Razdan, Pankaj Tripathi). A good movie for sure, but for me it was more like a sad documentary about solitude and this is not something we need these days. But Soni was great.

This week Prime added Jaanu, and I watched immediately.
    I knew it won’t beat 96, because it’s impossible, but I thought it still be enjoyable and it wasn’t! Now I have seen all 3 versions, and I liked this telugu one the least. Kannada version wasn’t good, but managed to make me cry while Jaanu didn’t. And can we talk about Rams? I have a little crush on Sharwanand and was sure that after seeing him in Ram’s role I will be head over hills in love. But no. I kept thinking about Vijay Sethupathy. He may be older, and chubbier but there is something in his acting that makes me crazy. So sexy! And I appreciate even more now those little touches he added to his Ram. Sharwanand was more like: I’m traveling alone = sad face; I see Jaanu = shy face.

• Yet another one of those odd “how is Kerala simultaneously progressive and regressive?” movies! Thanks, I think I had it on my mental list too, but now I will forget it.

Did Pankaj get to be a charming romantic hero for once at least? And how as Alia’s Mom? She absolutely blew me away in Sadak back when she was a young woman, one 5 minute scene and almost stole the movie.

Speaking of 96, can we add Vijay to your list of “guys I am equally attracted to physically and mentally”?

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 1:30 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• You can erase Sarvopari Palakkaran from your mental list. I’m happy I saw it so I can stop wondering if it’s my perfect movie or not, but there is no other reason to watch this film.

Unfortuantely Pankaj’s role is the worst in Yours Truly. I thought he will be Soni’s love interest, or some old lover she misses, you know, romantic stuff, but no. He is only a tenant who lives under Soni’s apartment and makes a lot of noise when he has sex with his wife. Wife and sex are never showed, we just hear them sighing. Gross

Vijay seems to be such a nice guy. He had a cameo in one of the movies I saw this month. As I don’t read about movies I’m going to watch I didn’t know it, and had a nice surprise when I saw him. It looked like he had a lot of fun with the role, and seemed relaxed and how he usually is. I just wanted to hug him.

• I mean, clearly I added Vijay to that list sometime last year. Sigh. Calling him Sethu or VSP to avoid confusion with that “other” Vijay–who I guess is popular in Tamil movies, or something? (kidding)

3. I was scrolling Letteroxd now and saw somebody’s list of favourite romantic movies and there was 96, Sanam Teri Kasam and HAMARI ADHURI KAHANI among others! I think I found my soul mate 😀

4. Reading: I was reading this surprisingly well written book on a local tragedy that happened in the 90s. And while I loved the history and the gossip, I’ve gotten to the middle of the book, the tragedy is about to happen, and I don’t want to read it. And then I have a teen book I’m supposed to read, but teen books are so often aingsty and sad, and I don’t want to read it. A neighbor who used to be a geology professor wrote me a volcanic tuft tour to take my kids on, because she’s awesome and most people are really kind and want to help each other. So I’m reading that.

Listening: I had a great time listening to my historically and musically knowledgeable spouse make fun of Spotify’s St. Patrick’s Day playlist last night.

Watching: I’ve been re-watching Veer-Zaara, and I like it much more than I did first watch. I don’t think SRK’s hair is as ridiculous as I used to, though I don’t he was at his best acting when he was playing “old”. But I like Priety much more than I did the first time. And I really like the songs, I think this is the nicest role I’ve seen Amitabh play.

• Read Pineapple Port!!!!! If you want something totally light and fluffy. It’s so light and happy and nothing bad happens, it’s delightful.

I shared this Indian Saint Patrick’s Day song with my co-workers, and we agreed it pretty much captured “Saint Patrick’s Day” as experienced by most of the world:

So glad you are liking Veer Zaara! I still don’t, but at the same time can acknowledge that it really was a great role for him and some of those scenes were super cute.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 9:27 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• THAT SONG IS AMAZING. And I don’t know who the guy in white pants is, but I really don’t like him. I must have seen him somewhere in something, maybe he played the villan.

• Ritiesh Deshmukh! Seems like a nice enough guy in real life, part of a real cute couple, they met in one of their mutual first movies when he was like 21 and she was like 16, and got married maybe ten years later.

But also the super creepy villian in Ek Villain, did you see that?

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 10:08 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I didn’t see Ek Villain. Because you gave me his name I looked up his filmography and realized I saw Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya – but I didn’t finish the film because I couldn’t stand looking at him. Which is a pretty harsh thing to say and I don’t quite understand it myself.

• Oh man, I don’t know! I just watched the last season, and then went alone to read that a lot of people had the same sort of “well, huh” reaction that I did. It was good, it did what it intended to do, but it was missing the manic (literally) energy of the first few seasons and the songs just weren’t as good somehow.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 9:29 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yeah, the last season’s songs don’t have quite the emotional punch of the earlier seasons (in all honestly nothing can beat I Gave You a UTI), but as stand alones songs like I Want to be a Child Star are kinda spectacular.

5. I’m fighting isolation’s blues by finding new movies to be obsessed by and thinking about the ones I already have on my watchlist. E.g I ridiscovered this trailer and want to watch the movie but it’s nowhere :

Or I Hume Tumse Pyaar Kitna which is about a bookstore owner who falls in love with a talented author who doesn’t feel the same way about him.

There is also this punjabi rom com with Wamiqa Gabbi (from Godha) Dil Diyan Gallan I have been waiting for months.

Or this movie I never heard of but liked the poster:

Or Aksar 2

Why they just don’t put those movies on youtube? Or add them when Prime or Netflix buy some other films from them?

• This seems like a very productive use of your time!

Also, this is what I keep waiting for, someone to realize that at the moment the greatest gift to Humanity would be to crack open the streaming vaults somehow. Where is that heroic international publication rights attorney ready to devote his energies to figuring out a better system for us all?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 4:24 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• He’s over 50, maybe he’s just losing teeth? Like needing plates and root replacements and stuff?

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 9:28 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. The beginning of Ra.One is terrible. I haven’t seen something that bad for ages. I know it’s boy’s dream and stuff but c’mon it was embarassing to watch.