Happy Wednesday! I get to take a half day today and do fun fun things all afternoon. And probably not be on the blog much, but I am sure you will all survive. Oh, and just like yesterday was Food Day (that was super fun!), today is going to be Clothes Day.

I’ll start!

Watching: I watched Koode with my parents, and they loved it as much as I thought they would. I also watched my nephew over Skype. He has learned both how to raise his hands in the air, and grab things and hold them. But he can’t put things in other things yet, even though his little baby friend is already putting things in other things, and I feel very competitive about this and think that his parents should put him in “putting things in other things” tutoring classes. Apparently I am going to be “that Aunt”. Anyway, here he is triumphantly waving one arm in the air while holding a thing:

Reading: Finished The Blue Sword (thank you Emily!). It’s very fun because it is clearly-but-not-really based on England in India. And also, The Sheikh but not creepy. I love fantasy that takes real life stuff and says “okay, I’m keeping all this good stuff, but I’m dumping all that weird bad stuff”. Along those same lines, I also just started Lois Bujold’s The Sharing Knife series, which is settlers and Native Americans, but flipped to fantasy so all the cool stuff stays and the yucky stuff goes away.

Thinking: I have to go back to the city on Friday, which is a bit of a downer, but on the plus side it is supposed to be super hot on Friday. So maybe I won’t mind returning to my nice air conditioned bedroom. And my TV and limitless internet. Okay, I guess there’s a lot of good things.

Listening: Koode! Such a good soundtrack!

Now, to start us of on Clothes Day, favorite outfit from a movie you watched this week!

I saw Koode, and Parvathy changing into increasingly loose and light clothing as she and Prithviraj run away together at the end just warmed my heart! So, Parvathy in a big man’s shirt and sweatpants and loose wild hair, that is my favorite.

Christopher Kanagaraj on Twitter: "#Koode | Prithviraj, Parvathy ...

23 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching: What Are You Reading and Watching and Thinking and Listening to on Clothes Day?

• He’s still behind other babies. Why can our baby not be the Best baby?

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 6:43 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Our baby is the Best baby! He has to let other babies have these minor accomplishments so that their inferiority isn’t too painfully obvious.

• Humph. When he fails his pre-school entrance exams, don’t come crying to me!

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 7:42 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I did not pre-school entrance exams are a thing in the US. In India they interview kids and the parents.

• That was kind of a joke. I think there are some very few schools that do entrance exams, but it is very very rare. And pre-schools are not connected to regular elementary schools, so even if you do try for a fancy entrance exam school, your kid would end up going to public/government schools with everyone else at age 5. Really, where my sister lives, I doubt there is even a pre-school with entrance exams in driving distance if they wanted one. It’s going to be some nice friendly thing with the park district that just wants kids to be happy.

1. I like the question because I watched a movie with very nice clothes. Nothing fancy, just simple cotton salwar kameez’es like this one:

Colorful and comfortable. I loved all the outfits. It’s from punjabi movie Sufna. I was avoiding this film for weeks. The posters are beautiful but I was afraid the plot will make me angry. Fortunately it was good. I really enjoyed it. I remember when you was saying in your box-ofice posts that punjabi industry steals the audience from hindi cinema because it still tells the stories of simple people. This film was the best example. When was the last time hindi cinema made a mainstream movie about poor and simple daily wage worker girl from the village? The hero also wasn’t a rich. He won the girl because he was a nice human being and treated her well. I liked their love story a lot and even more the visuals and the music. In fact I can’t stop listetning to the soundtrack especially this song:

I also watched Kadhalum Kadandhu Pogum. OMG Vijay Sethupathy is so cute in this film. I’m so glad somebody mentioned it on twitter and I could watch it. Btw it’s on youtube with subtitles.

• I love Salwars like that! They aren’t like the ones I, a Real Human, wear (you can’t get that fitted of a waist over your boobs). But they aren’t the super super sewn in look. Just perfectly lightly fitted and flexible and simple.

2. I watched The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (just the first one) for the first time over the weekend and I loved it! So 2005, so teen girl, but also so warm and emotional. I personally love Lena’s entire wardrobe, especially when she lets her hair down towards the end, but I also love this Blake Lively outfit with the tied shirt and The Pants. I mean, she’s Blake Lively, it’s hard for her to look bad in anything.

And I think I’ve been thinking too much this week. The tragic news of the weekend really got to me, especially all the new debates surrounding it, and on top of that, the school year finally ended for me yesterday, but wrapping up the year is always way more stressful than it needs to be, just because of grades. Without getting into particulars and teacher talk, one student was giving me a hard time about his grade and wasn’t understanding why his grade looked the way it did. Plus, I had to bring in my work computer for upgrade, tech guy said it would be done in 2 hours, and I still haven’t heard from him long after I came home. The bright side to this is that I sat in a park for 2 hours and read my Kindle, and got Japanese food for lunch, but it was just frustrating. So this light week has actually been really nice for me. 🙂

So in terms of reading, I’m almost done with that Captain Hook origin story I think I mentioned weeks ago, and it’s surprisingly really good!! He falls in love with Tiger Lily, which I did not expect, and I’m surprisingly into it.

• The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants came out while I was in college and I remember hearing about it then and thinking “someday I should watch that”. And then I never have. And now I feel like maybe I am too old? Or maybe it’s just that I have it locked in my head as something I was going to watch when I was around the same age as the characters and it feels weird now.

I am glad your day turned out to be nice! And I hope the end of year stress ends soon. Here’s something fun, I haven’t even thought about this weeks Friday movie yet, what do you want to see?

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 7:13 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• See, I was in elementary school in 2005, nowhere near the ages of the characters in that movie, and it just made me nostalgic for that time. The clothes, the music, everything SCREAMED mid-2000s when things were bright and sunny and easy, at least for me because I was an actual child.

• I’m about ten years older than you, so that’s mid-90s for me. And yes! That is something that adds to my enjoyment when I watch stuff like the early seasons of Friends. Just sinking into “this is how the Big Kids looked” kind of comfort, and glamour of it.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 4:53 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Funny that you posted this question, I was rewatching Hindi Medium and was loving Saba Qamar’s outfits towards the end. If you’ve not seen it, Saba and Irfan pretend to be posh upper class at first and then low class living in poverty. Majority of the movie they’re trying to be someone else, trying to fit in and the clothes are never quite right. At the end they finally stop pretending and it shows in the outfits.
    Oh but how do I post screenshots?

4. Saw this and got excited. It’s again produced by Anushka and it has the Laila Majnu actor and actress in the lead roles!!! It makes me so happy because they were good and deserve more work. And once again, it’s female-focused horror of both the one in history (and still today) and ghosts!

• I am excited too! Only, horror is scary so I don’t know if I can watch it. But that cast! But scary! But supporting female films! But scary!

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 3:20 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Have you or anyone else seen I Can’t Think Straight and The World Unseen? I was thinking if adding them to my queue in addition to Nina’s Hevenly Diaries and wanted to get people’s thoughts. Just as an FYI, I am only looking for light, happy, LGBTQ rom-com.

• I’ve heard Imagine Me and You is really good too. And Kissing Jessica Stein is delightful (weird sentence).

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 12:55 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I am pretty sure I was one of the people that recommended Imagine Me & You. It is one of my absolute favorites. And yes KJS is delightful as well.