Happy Wednesday! I am up at the family lake house again, it’s a million billion degrees outside, but I get this afternoon off and I am going to drink iced tea and read my book on the screen porch.

I’ll start!

Reading: I’m considering going back to Elizabeth George. I stopped in the middle of a book a few months back, but now I think I might be ready to go back and find out who did it.

Thinking: It rained last night which means the overall temperature is down about 2 degrees, and the lake temperature is down about 20 degrees. It was this magical 81, like stepping into a heated pool, and now it’s the usual bone numbing cold. Cools you faster, but you swim for shorter. A mixed bag.

Watching: Watched Ek Ladki Ko Dekha To Aisa Laga with friends on Netflix Party last night, still SO GOOD. Also, during the “it’s too hot to go outside weekend”, I watched the Prime series Hunters which turns out to be kind of dumb. And I started Endeavour, which turns out to be just as good as everyone always told me it was.

Listening: Looking for cooling songs, and this is the coolest one I can think of, “Vaan”

Now, question! Today is both Revathi and Neetu Singh’s birthdays. Which of these two actresses do you know better? I’m really curious, I have no sense of where the DCIB community falls here. Do you know and love both? Or only one? Or neither?

Revathi - IMDb
Retro Bollywood : Photo | Indian bollywood actress, Bollywood ...

35 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching Post: What Are You Reading and Thinking and Watching and Listening to This Week?

1. I’ve seen 2 Revathi movies and maybe 2 or 3 Neetu films, so not much. But I like more Revathi and her movies than Neetu.

• Are you counting Revathi as the mother in 2 States in your list?

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 8:09 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• No. I didn’t remember she is in 2 states. I have seen it so long ago. The 2 movies I know I watched are: Mouna Ragam and Punnagai Mannan.
        Neetu films I remember: Kabhie Kabhie and JTHJ.

• She’s Alia’s Mom in 2 States, the one who wants to be a singer but can’t find a teacher who will work with her. And I forgot you watched Mouna Ragan, she is SO GOOD in that!!!!

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 8:27 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Man I don’t remember a thing from 2 States. Only that I was shocked they they had sex very early and this awkard feeling when their parent met.

• It’s cute! You should rewatch it. And Arjun wears glasses.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:22 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Watching: I watched Sufiyum Sujathayum and liked it even though I know it’s not a perfect film.
    Also to forget Bulbbul I saw the most predictable and non-threatening movie I found on Prime – Hopeless Romantic. It was just as I thought: predictable and saccharine.

Listening: I saw a video of two teenagers who were listening to older music and they didn’t recognize even one song. I was shocked, especially because they don’t know Destiny’s Child – Say my name. I loved this song, but haven’t listened to it for years. Now I listen to 90′ music everyday.

• I don’t know “Say My Name” either 😦 But I’m not a teenager! It’s not that I’m out of touch with older pop classics, it’s that I was never in touch with pop classics of my own generation.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:59 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. I’ve only seen Neetu’s films but she was adorable when she was young. The relatable girl next door compared with glamour girls Parveen and Zeenat. She had a knack for comedy that is showcased really well in Amar Akbar Anthony. I feel like she deserves a damned medal and a peaceful life after everything she went through with Rishi.

I am so not motivated to work today and I have so much to do! My son started summer school this week and we are still struggling to get him back on a routine after total immersion in video games for a month. It’s very hot here which is a drag since we don’t have central A/C.

• She was so adorable young! And with a naturalness onscreen, no “acting” feeling. Which could be a lot of talent, or just that she was sincerely enjoying herself on film sets.

Blech, heat and no central a/c! Of course, I don’t have central a/c either, but I’m just the one person, so I can lock myself in my tiny window-air conditioned room and ignore the world. You should do that too! Find the one room in your house that gets coldest and barricade the door, and let the rest of the family fend for themselves.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:59 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Neetu is one of my favourite 70s actresses so I’ve seen her in a whole slew of things, my favourites of which are (for her) Parvarish and Dharam Veer. I don’t know if I’ve seen Revathi in anything.

I’m reading Sandokan, and it’s hilarious and great. He’s a reckless meathead obsessed with red clothes and I (unexpectedly) identify strongly with him.

• Sandokan sounds amazing! And I had never heard of this series before. Are you reading in Italien or in a translation? If translation, is it English (I hope I hope?)? I want to read it, but only if there is a good English translation available.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 10:06 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I really only knew it from the amazing TV series with Kabir Bedi. But people have recced the books to me so I decided to try them, or the first one now. I’m reading an English translation, it’s easily available. I think you will like it, though Sandokan is kind of a weird character.

5. First, I just want to saw how sad I am to have missed Ek Gentleman. Last weekend was exhausting. Even though everything was appropriately socially distant activities, there were still one too many for me coming out of complete hibernation. Plus all involved being outdoor and the sun and I do not get along.

Anyways, to answer your question, I like Neetu and Revathi for very different reasons. I probably know way more about Neetu and have seen pretty much most of her films. She just had such wonderful comedic timing, and there was such spontaneity in her acting. I felt the same about Sridevi. I am guessing it came from both being child actresses. Too young to be trained but acting was the only thing they knew, so they lit up on camera.

I don’t know as much about Revathi. I’ve only seen a few of her films including her Hindi debut in a film called Love with Salman, but I admire her for working as a actor and director in so many different languages and also because she is an awesome single mom who had her baby in her late 40s though IVF.

• I missed you for A Gentleman too! Luckily, the comments are forever. I’ll give you the highlight (for me): Everyone agreed with my theory that Sid M was a virgin before Jackie, because he was just a shy sad little boy forced to kill people.

Agree about Neetu, she just seemed happy and at home on camera, no “acting” involved. I would also say, like Sridevi, that you kind of hit a wall on that. I feel like Sridevi around age 20 (so when Neetu would have retired) transitioned from just being herself on camera to figuring out how to act, so she could “act” young even when she was no longer young. But Neetu was just herself, and then got married and retired just as she hit the age whne the magic unselfconsciousness might start to fade away.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 10:41 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. I know more about Revathi just because I watch more south Indian films.
    Watched K-nowledge directed by Grace Anthony (Fahad’s wife in Kumbalangi Nights) about the need for menstrual education. Link -https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ufumzq7QMM
    Interestingly the actor other than Grace Anthony at the end of movie is Revathi’s niece.

7. The only thing I have to report is that I watched Hamilton over the weekend and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT but that’s not surprising considering I saw it on Broadway and have been listening to the soundtrack since 2015. Highly recommend.

• I still haven’t seen it. I kept thinking I should just put it on in the background or something, and then I didn’t.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 5:25 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I don’t think it’s a background type show. Super intricate, super layered, and also super fast so if you half listen, you’ll miss a lot.

• I saw it live like a year and a half ago (my Mom splurged on tickets). So I was counting on that to carry me through. But then, if the taping really is as good as everyone says, it will be like watching it fresh again.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 11:55 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Ah, didn’t realize you had seen it. The big highlight for me was seeing all the original cast members and being like “hey, this guy won the Tony, and now I totally understand why he won! He’s great!” The closeups are also very fun.

• Yeah, I saw the Chicago cast. They were in residency for like two years or something? So not the Tony winning spectacular New York cast, but pretty darn good! Here’s something interesting, my parents had gone to see it a few weeks earlier before my Mom decided she absolutely had to take me to see it. I randomly ended up seeing a different George Washington than my parents had seen and my Mom said the character played totally different. So it should be fun seeing a whole different cast and comparing how they did the characters!

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 12:05 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

8. Revathi is such an underrated actress. Her range of characters can be beaten only by a Sridevi or Urvashi.Not even Shobahana can come close. She is one of the rare actors who shines well in mad-cap characters like in Kilukkam,Kaakkothikavile Appuppan thaadikal & so many more in Tamil as much as she did in the intense roles of Devasuram,Marupadiyum and Mouna Ragam. Plus she dances like a dream. She used to pull off the urban and rural characters with equal charm. The original of Tabu’s award winning role in Viraasat was done by Revathi. Her filmography in Malayalam & Tamil is unbeatable by any of the current actors. I compare her versatility with that of Mohanlal or Kamal Hassan.She used to make a great pair with both the actors and very frequently Revathi used to overshadow them. Just that in India, male stars gets idolized while a female actor of equal calibre is forgotten and hardly spoken about. Also,I can’t for the life of me figure out why Revathi never won any National awards. She also didn’t have any iconic characters like Shobhana’s in Manichitrathazhu which may have gotten her more acclaim. My theory is that she just did wonders with whatever she was given and they looked so easy that people don’t realise that noone else could have done it the way she did.

• I agree with your theory. Revathi is one of those actresses where she doesn’t feel like she is acting onscreen, she just feels like she is existing. She doesn’t Act with a Capital A, in a way that takes you out of the film and makes you go “oooo, look at her acting”, she just plays the character so invisibly you don’t see her doing anything at all.

Looks like Revathi’s directing won a National Award, at least. For the film, not for her, but still something!

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 10:55 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• And now that we are all trapped at home, we have time to read the novel! no, I’m still not reading that, too looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 5:41 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh man, their way of speaking feels unnatural! I thought it’s just me, but I see similar reactions on twitter. Hope to be wrong though, guess being on BBC comes at a price!