Happy Monday! I had a lovely weekend, until I got stressy again last night. Hamilton on Disney Plus, great stage filming, very stressful and hyper to watch right before bed.

Here is where you get to ask me anything you want! Who is my favorite actress, what movie I am watching this week, how my foot is doing, anything! Just keep swinging back here all week as you think of new questions.

Now, I have a question for you! I am absolutely definitely 100% sure NOT watching Gunjan Saxena. What movie will you definitely never watch and why?

Gunjan Saxena! I’m not gonna watch it because I have zip zero null tolerance for patriotic content. And also because I am tired of feminist journeys that are really daddy-daughter movies. I feel bad judging the movie without seeing it, but those two things are pretty clearly true, right?

32 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me the Day Before the Sadak 2 Trailer Comes Out?

1. – Sanju – I don’t feel the need to explain it, but I couldn’t even get past through the 3-minute mark and I loathe songs with a passion
    – Mohabbatein – Too long and too boring…unless it’s going to be a severe snark watch with more people the chance of me watching this very minimal, even with Sharukh and Amitabh
    – Namastey London – First movie I absolutely hated and slogged through until the interval and didn’t watch the rest
    – The Krrish-series – Koi Mil Gaya was kinda a perfect one time watch, Hrithik was good, so was Rekha and Preity, but the chance of me watching this notoriously bad series is very small
    – Housefull-series – There is only so much humour I can take and the series, though with nice songs, just doesn’t interest me, though if I ever have to watch one Housefull then the 4th one I find interesting enough with the premise to ‘maybe’ watch at some point
    – Anything K*ng*na puts out – No explanation needed, I think
    There might be other specific ones too, but these are the main ones for me

Question Margaret:
    Are you interested in watching more stage plays/musicals and can I recommend some for you? Shows usually being the kinds you can easily find on YouTube, just tell what kind you are interested on the stage/musical side if you are interested πŸ™‚

• Ugh, SANJU!!!! Yeah, don’t watch that thing. It is a nightmare.

I am suddenly tempted to make Mohabbatein a Friday pick, but that would be mean

I remember kind of liking Namestay London! I probably have less descriminating taste than you

Yes, the Krrish series is a nightmare! Just bad bad movies all around. Bad acting, bad songs, bad filming, and badly written.

I’ve seen Housefull 3 and 4, and 4 was definitely better. So if you absolutely had to watch one, I agree, 4 is the way to go.

Agree, nothing with that woman. Poor Panga will never be watched by me

Answer:

Hamilton got me all riled up! Something about filming stage shows, there is so much more energy involved and less technique, it makes me antsy and unhappy. So I think I better avoid them until I am in a more calm state of mind (possibly once my foot is healed and I can go outside again, possibly not until even later than that). Sorry!

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 9:26 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Well Netflix has been trying to get me to watch OMG for a long long time, and so far I haven’t wanted to watch it. But I won’t say never, one day, perhaps, I will watch OMG. Oh I will never watch that Ajay movie where he gets it on with a girl his daughter’s age because I couldn’t find it with subtitles… And I have never actually made it all the way through Baahubali. SHAME.

• Same with OMG! Somehow I just cannot build up enthusiasm for it.

What’s the Ajay movie? From that description I thought it was Shivaay, but you’ve seen that.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 11:49 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Tabu is in it. The girl he gets with is a stripper? and they form a relationship and he brings her back to India to meet his family that he left when he divorced Tabu?

• Oh, that’s a good movie, you would like it. She’s not a stripper, that’s just a joke meet cute. And it’s a big Big deal that she is the same age as his in film daughter (his real life daughter is about 8 years younger than the character). They break up multiple times over the age difference, and get together again because they love each other. The divorce is handled really well too, Tabu has a speech at the ending saying that it was easier for everyone to say Ajay was the bad guy and she was the good guy, but the divorce was mutual, and it wasn’t fair that the kids thought of them that way.

But if you can’t find it with subtitles, yeah, that’s a no go.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 12:05 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• OMG is actually fun, the way it pokes fun at religion is great. I’ll gladly take this any day over whatever comes out of the Akshay factory these days. I think the Ajay movie is De De Pyaar De? Oh, I think I’ll have to add him to the actors I’ll avoid!

3. I, on the other hand, am quite interested in Gunjan Saxena. Maybe because I’ve stayed away from all the nationalistic movies of the past few years, the sombre tone of the trailer, plus the story, doesn’t seem to be of the loud, chest-thumping variety I despise. The early reviews also seem to indicate that. And I’m always up for daddy-daughter movies!

Movies I won’t watch – biopics, historicals, sports, war – especially if I suspect jingoism. Oh, also underworld and police dramas! I was so disappointed in the Class of 83 trailer! Actors with specific brand of movies I’ll avoid – Akshay Kumar, Ayushmann if he keeps doing those heartland, social issue films. Blanket ban on Kangana. Looks like I’ve eliminated most of Bollywood, such a shame! Only historical I was looking forward to was Takht, but I don’t even know if that’s happening! Do you have any info?

Liked by 2 people

4. Sanju. Historicals with a sad ending: Tanaji, Manikarnika…etc. Neerja (I just don’t have the emotional bandwidth to watch it). Most horror movies (althought I am proud of myself for watching Bulbul with the 10 sec fast forward to get through rape and abuse scenes). I am actually okay with Gunjun Saxena because I am a total sucker for father-daughter, underdog movies, loosely based on a true story, with a female lead, and a happy ending (happy ending is key!). GS will check all those boxes so I am actually looking forward to it.

• For me, the rape and abuse scenes in Bulbbul were unpleasant, but the most spine tingling terrifying moment is when Rahul Bose says “someday when you are older, you will know the difference between a husband and a brother-in-law.” Rape and abuse were almost a relief after that.

I have similar rules, which is why I have still not seen Panipat.

You watch GS and report on how war-y and jingoistic it is to the rest of us. I’m still not seeing it, but it will be nice to know.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 2:28 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Oh man, I won’t watch most things, to be honest. The worst lately is any kind of patriotic movie, especially if it stars Akshay. I watched Sanju, though, for Jim Sarbh and because of my loyalty to Sunil.

• And did you hate Sanju, or are you about to mount a spirited defense of the film?

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 3:25 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I hated it but didn’t find it hard to get through. The basics were in place, just the content was so bad and also extremely morally repellent. It’s a lot easier to watch a movie that knows how a camera works and knows what a scene is than one that just has no idea, even when it fills that scene with inexplicable and terrible content. That final song struck even me dumb though.

• Would you agree that it is one of those movies that comes frustratingly close to camp, and then skates away back to just boring bad? Mahanati, on the other hand, I also disliked but SO CAMPY!!!! She carries a wine bottle from her burning mansion instead of her daughter!

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 3:37 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes, I would. If they’d gone a little harder, it would have been The Room or Mommy Dearest, but they stop just before crossing the line. That shows to me that the director really knew what he was doing, and that makes it even less fun and even more cynical. Like, look at Jim Sarbh’s performance in it. He could have easily notched that up to the proper level but they didn’t let him. Whereas for me, Padmaavat is right on the line (on purpose?). Mahanati isn’t available anywhere is it? I should see it.

• And if it was camp, then we would know why Anushka looks like that. But since it is played straight, WHY???????

Oh oh! In my camp version, Anushka is played by Ranbir also, which is why she has the wig and eyes and stuff, so we don’t mix Female Reporter Ranbir up with Sanjay Dutt Ranbir. Also, it’s like deep, because she is blindly telling his version of the story, and she kind of IS him.

And Mahanati is pretty much everywhere, Prime and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijUiM775KRI&t=26s

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 1:31 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes! Ranbir can play Sunil! But should he play Nargis too?

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 10:33 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It can go along with season 2 of Made in Heaven where Jim Sarbh has gone crazy and is playing all the parts.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:44 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. I don’t want to watch almost all already mentioned films like Sanju, patriotic movies, Kangana films etc but number one in my list is this newly announced Akshay – Aanand L Rai film. It was hate at the first sight for me. It looks like another Akshay doing a movie about female stuff and making it all about him. Only looking at the poster makes me angry!

• Is this the Raksha Bandhan one? If so, that poster made me angry too! It’s supposed to be a brother-sister story just based on the title, but instead they Mission Mangal’d it, and now it is a bunch of non-famous young actresses and Towering Akshay.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 3:59 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes it’s Raksha Bandhan. Think how nice a movie about brother-sisters could be with some other famous actor and strong actresses and other director πŸ˜›

• Fun question! There are so many, I love a lot of stuff. But this is also kind of a bubble, so if you mean “everyone” on this blog hated and I loved, I can only think of one at the moment, Love Aaj Kal 2020. I really truly loved that movie, and about 3 other people here did too, but no one else in the whole world felt the same so far as I can tell.

As for movies everyone loved that I can’t stand, most of the top box office holders for the past few years. Sanju, all Bhansalis, PK, I just don’t like them.

7. Is there a metric of success for a film directly released to OTT? Assuming the producers have already recovered the money by selling it, is it the profit margin they can get while doing so? It’s not something the general public will know, right?

• Not with OTT. TV ratings are generally made public, but not streaming data. For some reason that is how the industry has broken down.

For OTT, there are different contracts. Some times you get a small percentage of every view, sometimes it is one flat rate. I mostly notice that as a viewer, when a system is really pushing something on me it probably means they paid a flat rate πŸ™‚

During COVID, what I have been hearing over and over again is that movie producers are just straight taking a loss. The OTT deals cannot come close to matching what you could get in theaters to the point that you probably aren’t even breaking even, it’s just about cutting the losses in half.

This is a strange new situation though, I know Disney made public how many new subscribers they got related to Hamilton, as a way of kind of flexing their muscles and proving their strength in the market. It’s possible more private OTT data will come out as platforms want to make the audience believe they are more popular and “winning”.