Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me CHRISTMAS WEEK?!?!?!

It’s CHRISTMAS!!!! ALMOST!!!!! I am just SO EXCITED!!!! You know what I am most excited about this year? Sitting in my apartment with my parents on Christmas Eve and watching Arthur’s Christmas by the light of the Christmas lights. Also, I told my sister I want a photo of my nephew holding a stocking, so that too. Oh, and giving Albie Dog his Christmas Cookie.

Here is where you get to ask me anything you want. From “what is your favorite Christmas movie” to “what is your favorite Christmas food” to “what is your favorite Christmas tradition”? Just keep swinging back here all week as you think of new things you want to ask!

Now, first VERY IMPORTANT question, which photo of Theo in a Santa outfit is better?

Laying down:

Or sitting:

I think what I like most about these photos is the cheerfully confused expression on Theo’s face. Life is a constant surprise to him!

Oh right, other question: what are you looking forward to most this Christmas? (it’s okay to say “I don’t celebrate, I am most looking forward to a day off work”)

As I said, sitting in my apartment watching Arthur’s Christmas with my parents. I love Arthur’s Christmas so much, it’s a legitimately funny and entertaining movie, and I haven’t seen it so many times that I have it memorized, it can still surprise me. Plus, by Christmas Eve I will be all done with everything that needs to be done and I can just relax and be happy and in the moment.

47 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me CHRISTMAS WEEK?!?!?!

1. Looking forward to some peace on this Christmas.This has been a tough year here in India,with so much unrest,authoritarianism,oppression and extremism,not to mention the devastating toll of the pandemic panic.I don’t know if Santa(or anybody else for that matter)can give peace,but if he has it in his kitty,I would wish the same for all.
    As well as jeans with spacious pants,that’s another major global crisis.

2. What with mourning and quarantine, it’s a very subdued holiday season for me this year. But I’m a hermit at heart so I can handle it.

I’m looking forward to all this %$#!*& snow melting so I can walk Teddi again. Too icy right now, so she runs out the pet door to the yard and comes in with wet paws and a cold stomach. (snow is high, doggie stomach low)

I’m never without company anyway. For one thing, there’s Teddi. For another, DCIB is like sitting down to dish with a good friend. Your posts in particular Margaret, the happy ones like today’s, the sad “Oh no, what now?” ones, the what if’s like “How about SRK and Hema in Brigadoon?” the gossipy ones, the histories and the critical revues, keep my brain busy.

And so in love with Theodore! “Sheesh, Santa. I’m not afreaking reindeer. I’m descended from wolves.”

Started Bollywood Wives. Can’t handle it.

• Albie Dog had the same low dog/high snow issue last year. Compounded with him being a boy. He had this pattern of walking and then sudden high leaps that I couldn’t figure out until I remembered, PENIS! The random wild card that occasionally hits the snow and causes great excitement.

I am so glad DCIB is your friend! And I am glad you are a friend of DCIB 🙂 I like having people to join my party over hear and speculate on those important questions.

Yes Theodore!!!! No idea what is happening and about to buck little toy santa off his back. But so cute!!!!

Tip with B-Wives: watch the first episode to get a sense of the show, then the last episode to see the SRK.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 8:13 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. The second photo really showcases how ingenious that costume is, with Santa not just having his legs in the air but actually pulling on the reins. Fun.

I think I’m mostly looking forward to being done with the planning. Once I’m alone in the kitchen with the duck on Christmas Day, I can finally relax.

4. What I don’t get is how I have a totally minimal Christmas this year, but I am still hosting one day and somehow this still means over a week of running around trying to get stuff done. How???!

BUT I have achieved the dream of not having a single thing in my living room that is undecorated, barring anything too impractical to decorate (record player, dining table, sofa). Everything else is slathered in stuff, even the bookcases.

• That is the dream!!!! I am so jealous. Last year all my trees and lights died simultaneously (which makes sense, since I bought them all at the same time and Christmas lights don’t last forever). So this year I just had a few decorative items available to me and I had to go all minimalist. BLECH!!!! I miss the “you can see it from space” decorating style I used to have.

Christmas is like a gas, it expands to fit whatever space you give it. If you only have one person in the entire world for whom you have to buy a gift, you will discover it takes a full month to find that gift, just as much time as if you were buying for 20 people.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 10:38 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• This is absolutely true! It just takes over the second half of the month if not the whole month, whatever you do.

Yeah I am so proud, and it’s almost all stuff I already had, but I had the bonus of finding a bunch of vintage decorations we had forgotten in my mother’s attic.

• If your lights all died, the post Christmas sales are for you. My husband came home all proud last year because he bought four boxes of lights for like $5, only I’d done the same the year before. Oh well, came in handy making the outside of the house extra bright this year.

• Oh, I did that last year! And then I forgot, which was delightful. Only I didn’t buy lights, I bought a Christmas shark and a Christmas Cactus and Christmas dog outfits. But the fun thing was, since I forgot, I got my Christmas decorations out and had this delightful surprise!

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:44 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Also, it’s Govinda’s birthday today and he had a very crowded unmasked birthday party, so he’s going to be dead soon. He probably thinks he can cure coronavirus by praying to a goat or tying a fever scrap or something.

6. I am looking forward to hopefully actually having a few days off for Christmas and hopefully doing nothing with my husband. We have both been working around the clock and I don’t remember the last time we just sat down and did nothing for a day. Nothing = watching lots of Christmas movies and eating lots of delicious food. If we are feeling super adventurous, maybe we will go on a hike. I am still trying to figure out what to cook for Christmas eve and Christmas dinner for just two people. Any ideas? Neither of us like ham. I wanted to do a rib roast but I feel like that is way too much food for two people.

Theo was so confused about the costume and yet loving all the attention and treats he was getting so, overall he was happy and we were entertained.

• I’m doing Salmon (not Salman) for three people. Which isn’t super festive, but will be tasty and is easy to do in small portions. So, maybe a general fish based item could be fun? Alternatively, a Festive Holiday Omelet. If you make it with red and green peppers, it would be thematic!

That “nothing” sounds really nice. That’s usually what I am looking forward to at Christmas, after the rush of parties and larger family commitments and so on and so forth. But this year, it’s just been a big old huge helping of “nothing” for months, so I am kind of looking forward to “something”. “Something” meaning having my parents at my apartment for once instead of being at theirs, and maybe watching the virtual Christmas service.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 10:48 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Food suggestions from our year of downsized celebrations: the Costco by us has a little rack of lamb chops that you can cut apart and grill or roast as a side. We are picky about lamb and these are always delicious. Or duck like Eva mentioned, smaller than a chicken and more decadent.

7. What is “Anil Kapoor Trimurti phone call incident”? I’m reading about Hameshaa now and just read this:

“”Sanjay Kapoor was signed for Saif Ali Khan’s role. Due to family problems with Aditya Pancholi ( Anil Kapoor Trimurti phone call incident),he left the film. “”

What happened with Anil and Aditya?

• Oooo, I want to know too!

Especially because I am 100% for Anil Kapoor at all times and 100% against Aditya Pancholi at all times, so I already know who I will be rooting for.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:29 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I investigated and you were right, Anil is the victim and Aditya the villain:

*Aditya Pancholi was given the role of Anand but Subhash Ghai felt Anil Kapoor would give more justice to the role. Pancholi later reportedly began to give Kapoor threatening phone calls over the role of Anand, the situation got so out of hand that the police got involved until Pancholi was caught he confessed he had made them threatening calls.*

I started reading about other scandals Aditya was involved (I only knew about his affair and problems with Kangana and that his son dated Jiah Khan, when she commited suicide), but there is so much more!

8. I don’t know if you can answer my question but I am hoping you can help. I read few reviews for newly released Paava Kadhaigal on Netflix. There is a character in one of the films who is a transwoman. This character is played by a male artist and not a transwoman. While writing reviews what pronoun should be used? I have seen some reviewers use he and others she. In real life you ask the person about their preferred pronoun but when it is a movie how to make this decision when writing about it. Do you go by the actor’s gender or by the character’s gender?

• Great question! You go by the character when you are talking about the character, and the actor when you are talking about the actor.. So, for example, “She has a tragic life with a dead father and younger sister. He does a wonderful job portraying her agony.”

• I watched the episode with Sai last night and it totally gutted me. Did not know what I was getting into. It was already late by that point but I had to stay up an extra hour and watch something more uplifting before I could go to sleep.

• Okay, so NOT watching that! And I know just what you mean about needing to watch something happy before you go to bed. I’ve been binging true crime docs, but I stop watching them at about 9:30 and switch to sitcoms so I can sleep.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:35 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I am keeping away from this anthology until much much later. And seeing what Emily told makes my resolve even stringer.

• Is it just going to be the three of you this Christmas? And do I remember right that last Christmas your household was sick, so you got to duck all the big family things and just stay home?

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 1:58 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It was 2 years ago (the time flies). Last year we visited my family in Poland for Christmas. It was beautiful, but because of this I’m now so home-sick. I keep thinking how what we were doing last year (Christmas markets, gingerbread, pierogi, Frozen II in cinema, Cracow).

This year is tricky. Most probably we will visit my sister on Christmas Eve. I’m very happy for this because we live in the same town but have never passed Christmas together. The only problem is that by law, only two adults + kids can visit , and we are 3 adults because my mother-in-law will be with us.

• Could your sister visit you? Does she have only two adults in her household?

In Chicago, it is “a gathering of no more than 6 people not of the same household” which I find super confusing. Does that mean if 5 people are in a household, they can only have one guest? Or the whole household counts as one person, and they can only have 5 guests? What if it is two households coming together with less than 5 guests? But at least your situation would be covered, definitely only 5 people from two households.

I’m feeling un-homesick, sort of. Last year we did the exact same thing we are doing this year, my parents and I at my place. But I’m ready for a change! If there was no pandemic, I would probably be visiting my sister and helping her move into the new house and celebrating the first Christmas there. Instead of doing the same old thing again. Although the same old thing is also nice, and traveling at the holidays is a hassle.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 2:46 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

9. I feel like you have answered this before, but now it is relevant to my life. My roommate wants to watch a Bollywood movie over winter break. She is open to typical romcom-y Bollywood or critically acclaimed. She has never seen a Bollywood movie before, but loves Jane the Virgin and Law & Order. What should we watch??

• Oh, this is a GREAT question!!!!! Daawat E Ishq or Humpty might work on the Jane the Virgin side (although it would be really personal for you to share Humpty with her!). Kal Ho Na Ho is also a good accessible soaper. Normally I suggest K3G, but that is so looooooooooong and a little inaccessible. Khoobsurat might be good too?

On the Law and Order side, Ittefaq is great, and so is Badla. Talwar is almost TOO good, sort of agonizing to watch. Andhadhun is kind of dark.

I think I would land on Khoobsurat or Daawat E Ishq? super happy, super light, super accessible (short, colors, etc.). Should be a guaranteed fun evening, even if she doesn’t fall in love with it right away.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 6:07 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I have shown Humpty to multiple people because I love that movie so much. Including my mom. And she loved it.

I showed a bunch of trailers to my roommate, including Humpty, but I explained that you might appreciate Humpty more if we watch this other movie from the 90s (DDLJ). So I showed her the DDLJ trailer as well, and that was actually her top choice, so the plan is to, sometime next week, do a DDLJ-Humpty double feature! Maybe not all in one day, but I’m excited, and I hope it’s accessible enough, lol.

• Oh man, now I am super nervous! DDLJ is my Humpty, I am super worried she won’t like it.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 7:43 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I also showed her the SOTY trailer, and she said it looked good, but that’s the movie that it would probably break my heart if she didn’t like it, since it means so much to me, more than HSKD does.

But I will hopefully report back next week with her verdict!

10. For Christmas this year? I’m hoping to be finished shoveling snow. My home got hit with 42 inches of the white stuff last Thursday and I am still shoveling out. My driveway is finally clear but I need to keep expanding the shoveled area in my backyard for my dog. He needs more pee places. (If I hear the song “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” one more time, I’m going for the jugular.)

• I’ve been feeling bad about not having snow here, but also happy that I don’t have to deal with digging out my car.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:22 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

11. Hmm, I think I’m mostly looking forward to the post Christmas, after all the presents are opened and we have a whole week to sleep in and not have to do anything in particular. This year has felt like a heavy lift, and Christmas in my house has been mostly on me, even more so than usual. The gifts are all bought (though some still in transit), the cards are all sent. My husband and neighbor have planned out the Christmas Eve dinner. I have two more days of work and one day of wrapping presents and cleaning. Then there will be the morning frenzy where I try to drag out present opening and it’s still all over in 30 minutes or less. But my kids also have plans for things like oatmeal and hot chocolate, so it’s nice, I think they’re finally old enough to enjoy the rituals and the chill part too.

The Theo photos are adorable. I like flipping back and forth between them. First Santa is saying c’mon Theo, c’mon boy, we gotta get a move on here, then whoooooa, Theo! where ya going?

• I’m thinking my Christmas relaxation will be Christmas itself. No work, everything is done, my parents and I can just sit and be together. As adults, our challenge is to finish the present opening in a reasonable amount of time. We keep getting distracted by talking about each present as we open it for 10 minutes, so if you only have 20 presents total, it still takes almost 2 hours.

I’m jealous of your post-Christmas week. I remember when I was in school the niceness of Christmas vacation. Even in college, being able to just do nothing was delightful, especially after the stress and strain of Christmas prep.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 12:00 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote: