Happy Wednesday! I just gotta crawl a little bit further through the week. Alllllllllll most done. And then another week. And another week. And on and on. I miss my annual February vacation to a sunny place! Stupid winter.

I’ll start!

Reading: Finished Shakuntala, because it is super super quick, moving on to Siva Purana!!! Which is just, like, all sex and violence. And sexy violence, or whatever you call it when someone’s nipple is cut off with a sword. Join me in the orgies!

Thinking: Dog poop! Albie Dog has his annual this morning and of course I am very stressed about his stool sample. I am pretty sure he will be non-parasitic this year (despite his deep love for roadkill and garbage) thanks to my obsessing over his monthly pills, but the stress of collecting a fresh sample is killing me. What if he just doesn’t want to poop this morning?

Watching: Oh! New thing in the rotation! My parents and I have started throwing in Bob Newhart with our nightly viewing. It’s nice, it’s clever, the 70s are weirdly soothing, and of course there is the joy of the Chicago references. Otherwise I’m still doing bad True Crime on my own (“Blood Ties: a Killer in the Family”) and Columbo with Mom and Dad.

Listening: It’s Abhishek Bachchan’s birthday week! And also, this song is very soothing and pretty.

Now, question for you! First, quick, who is sexier Shiva or Krishna?

Serious question! Shiva is kind of remote and ascetic and very Hippie and wise type. And Krishna is naughty and flirty and fun. Would you rather the Kunal Kapoor beautiful remote Siva? Or the naughty flirty fun Shahrukh Krishna?

Shiva Parvati (Epics and Mythology): Kamala Chandrakant, Ram Waeerkar:  9788189999285: Amazon.com: Books
Indian Epics: Amar Chitra Katha : Guide: Krishna and Shishupala | Mythology  books, Indian comics, Krishna

Next question! Quick, who is sexier, Columbo or Jessica Fletcher?

I say Columbo! Jessica always felt a little too intellectual to me, while Columbo is fully human. So I guess I am a Krishna not a Shiva kind of person.

What Columbo can teach us about rationality | by Marko Kovic |  ars-cognitionis | Medium
oz.Typewriter: Jessica Fletcher and Our New PM

25 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching Post: What Are You Reading and Thinking and Watching and Listening to This Week?

1. Despite that, I actually prefer Shiva. I would find Krishna deeply annoying. I mean, imagine having to constantly dance around while he played the flute and pinched you.

You know it’s Jessica. Have you seen that episode where she dresses like a tart and gets drunk at a bar for information?

• Well,he would be ready to exchange clothes with you,give you the flute and dance around(he loved dressing up as women).In that case continuously playing the flute might be exhausting.

• I have seen ALL the episodes. I just feel like I could never live up to Jessica. Columbo would be delighted with any old thing, Jessica belongs to the ages and can never be satisfied.

Also, HA! My Shiva/Krishna, Jessica/Columbo theory holds based on your choices! And I would rather have Krishna dancing around than Shiva being remote and emotionally distant.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 7:44 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I have seen Ore Kadal. It won National Award for the best malayalam movie in 2008, but I have seen it because I was told it’s a beautiful love story. I have been searching for a version with subtitles for months, but it doesn’t exist (it’s only on hotstar) so I decided to watch it on youtube and read subtitles aside. Watching like this can work with silly movies but not with a movie like Ore Kadal. I lost a lot of great acting and in the end I didn’t understand it all well.

And today I watched a movie that looked like made for me but made me so angry. Kilometers and Kilometers with Tovino and some white actress.
    Spoilers:
    Tovino is a poor guy who lives with his mother and sister and is up to his ears in debt. He is forced to sell the most precious thing he has – his late father’s motorbike. Right when he is going to sell it he recives a job offert – an american girl who won the lottery wants to visit India on the bike and hires Tovino. She is obnoxious and doesn’t treat Tovino well but he keeps going for money. Then in Rajastan somebody stoles all their stuff. She calls her friends but they refuse to help her because she is terrible person. They accidentally met a Malayali who helps them go to the police station and give them a place to stay for few days. She slowly stops being an ass and the friendship starts. But then she falls from the bike like an idiot and must go to the hospital. Obviously she doesn’t ask who who will pay the bill. The Malayali friend pawns his wife’s mangalsutra (!) to pay for the hospital. The woman treatens to commit suicide so Tovino is forced to sell his bike. When the girl returns and finds out is like: Oh you didn’t have to. I have some money. I just told you I haven’t any because I ENJOYED PRETENTING WE ARE POOR!
    I wanted to kill this women!
    Poor Tovino started crying and she said: You love me so much, nobody never did something like that for me. And they kiss. But in my opinion he should slap her instead. If it wasn’t enough he helped her reach Mumbai and return home. He also wrote a letter saying that he is a simple boy and he loves her and will never marry because he considers her his wife. So not only she took him his past but also stole his future. Later she returns and finds his bike, but for me it wasn’t a happy ending. I think it was the worst white girl character ever. Absolutely egoistic, cluless, confused, she doesn’t know where her father is and doesn’t talk with her mother for years. I prefer the simply promiscuous ladies we see usually.

• What a terrible white girl!!!! UGH!!!! You are right, at least the silly shallow white girls are nice, this white girl is selfish and horrible. It sounds kind of like Oru Indian Pranayakadha with Amala Paul and Fahid Fazil, but way way worse. In that one she is a decent person with a really good reason for visiting India and wanting a guide and also never lies to him1

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 10:27 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I have seen Oru Indian Pranayakadha and Amala was a very nice girl compared with this white woman.
        In the beggining she advice Tovino that he shouldn’t pay for his sister studies because if she wants to study she should work for it. Everybody should earn for himself and never share money. And just few weeks later here she is in a hospital paid by a poor guy who lives in a small hut and hardly has money for him and his pregnant wife.

• Yes! And it’s the most frustrating part. I don’t know, maybe it’s not a romance but some kind of strange metaphor about USA and poorer countries. Tovino reads a book about American atrocities or something like this, and later when they are robbed he has a long speach how USA takes the petrol from Iraq. Even the title is taken from some old malayalam movie about America.
        All I know is there won’t be another movie with Tovino and white girl and they lost their chance to make me happy ๐Ÿ˜”

3. Reading: I restarted my Vicarious Traveller’s book club and we are going to Antarctica (so we don’t have to worry about the potluck, but we might try something in a park anyway). We’re reading Big Dead Place, and it is hilarious, like adults at boarding school. Because it is “my” book club I told myself I have to finish it before starting Siva (which came in the mail), and I kinda figured I could quickly read Shakuntala Saturday.

Watching: NOTHING

Listening: NOTHING

Thinking: I’m not even really thinking about anything. How boring!

• Ha! I have a friend who worked in Antartica!!! In a similar menial role. She loved the adventure, but yes, her descriptions sounded exactly like boarding school. Or dorms. There was a knitting club, and movie nights, and so on.

You can totally read Shakuntala very very quickly, maybe 90 minutes tops. Especially because the plot is completely predictable. Siva is a bit harder, but then that’s why I gave you so much time to read it ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, DO NOT leave Siva somewhere that the boys can see it!!!! It is very much an Adult Content book.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 10:32 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Nothing much of anything other than the normal, but two trailers dropped that might be interesting.

This looks so happy!!

I’ve seen the original movie so this will be interesting since they might change things up.

5. After a really long time, Iโ€™m finally reading biology papers again. I need a way for the aliens in my novel to have evolved the traits I gave them, and thatโ€™s turning out to be quite a challenge. Iโ€™m loving it.

6. It’s the last week of the semester and I’m planning and grading tests with technology failing all around me. I’ve been having a comfort watch week, and first I watched Life in Metro to see if it holds up. Even if we don’t count the Shiney ick factor, I’m afraid to say I don’t think it does. Konkona and Irrfan are the more interesting couple, but Shiney and Shilpa are the centerpiece. Interesting (kind of) that Kay Kay and Shiney play romantic rivals again after Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi. Kay Kay is really good in this. I really want to see him play a tortured romantic lead; he’s so good with feelings smoldering under the surface.

Then I’m in the middle of watching Love Per Square Foot which I watched before and forgot entirely except that it’s got the Pathak sisters and Vicky and has something to do with real estate. I like it just as much as the first time, which it pretty much is since I don’t remember it. I love that they didn’t leave the love story to be the happy ending like most movies would, they get into it right away and then get to the meat of getting the apartment.

• Forgot to say, there’s a new movie on Netflix, Kilometers and Kilometers, with Tovino that I will probably watch although it doesn’t look promising. I’ve only seen Tovino in one thing so far.

• DON’T WATCH IT!!!! SAVE YOURSELF!!!! Scroll up on the comments on this post and you can see Angie’s angry rant.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 3:12 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Thank goodness I never have to watch Life in a Metro!!!! I didn’t want to because of the Shiney ick factor, but now I can really really skip it.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 3:08 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• can we, like, draw straws for which DCIBer will take responsibility to skim the book for SRK references?

Also! My office just hired a new person and of course I was telling her about Hindi film, and she said “I hope this doesn’t offend you, but you know Priyanka Chopra? I just hate her! She comes off as so fake, all the time, with everything!” Which of course I loved. Here is someone who knows nothing about her Indian film past and just based on her American presence went “this celebrity is fake-ola!”

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 3:52 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: