Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me the Last Week of April?

Happy Monday!!! I am ready for a nice dull work day when all I have to do is work-work. This weekend I started thinking about packing up my apartment and it is TERRIFYING.

Here is where you get to ask me anything you want from “why are you packing up your apartment?” to “why are you upset about the Ranbir-Alia engagement rumors?” Just keep swinging back tot his post all week as you think of new questions!!!!

Now, question for you: Yes Bath or No Bath?

I think that having a bath is a lovely way to relax and soak sore muscles. My father thinks (and says regularly), that having a bath is just “stewing in your own filth”. Which side are you on?

21 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me the Last Week of April?

1. Personally, shower over bath.

Are you planning to watch Shadow & Bone on Netflix?
    I just binged it and found it very good. It’s based on The Grisha trilogy which is an OK book series, but they also combined it with the characters from Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom (separate story but set in the same world) and is MUCH BETTER in terms of story and characters. Six of Crows duology over The Grisha Trilogy is the gist of it really. If you are interested in reading the books, I mean.

• The pandemic has melted my brain and I have SUCH a hard time getting in to thinky shows now. I can only handle ones that resolve everything episode by episode.

And shower over bath in a “stewing in your own filth” way like my Dad, or for other reasons?

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 8:01 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Agree for sure about living in a house full of people! I don’t even shower when I’m at my parents, I just wait 2 days and wash my hair when I am back at my place. Having a dedicated shower all to myself is HEAVEN.

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 8:20 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I go the other way often, bath and then shower immediately. So the bath is less to make myself clean and more for the relaxation benefits. And then the shower after is the actual clean part.

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 8:05 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I guess I’m outing myself as a European by admitting that “just” having a bath makes me feel clean enough. I’m spoiled by usually having both options, and I like it that way. The shower is the daily thing to work in the dandruff shampoo, but a loooong hot bath, possibly with a book or something, is great as a wellness experience.

• I have the opposite thought sometimes, think “I will have a shower just because I feel sticky and it is cooling, like a non-European!” As a European, I feel vaguely guilty about showering when I don’t have to wash my hair 🙂

3. Ha! Tell your dad DILUTION is the SOLUTION to POLLUTION. In theory I agree with baths and find them pleasant. Also can attest to the fact that kids come out of baths cleaner than they went in, and often cleaner than when they take showers because they don’t skip bits. But in practice I pretty much never take baths, don’t have the patience for them. I love showers.

OK here is a question, at the risk if putting my ignorance on display. I’ve been walking in different directions around my neighborhood to change it up and I’m noticing Hindu temples I never knew were there. This has made me wonder about how people choose a temple when they move to a new city. Is it like church or synagogue where you look for one aligned with your denomination that has a community where you feel welcome? How important is it to have a place of worship where you feel you belong? Wondered the second part because there are more temples than I knew about in our area, and than there probably would be in other places in the US, but still not nearly so many as mosques or churches in terms of having options.

• The way it usually works is a few people get together around the idea of building a temple for a particular Hindu god and then everyone else chips in. But to keep everyone happy usually there are smaller idols other than the main one, each representing a different god or form. Does this make sense?

• It’s a combination of language, ethnicity, religion, caste, and class in a big messy stew. One of the first Hindu Temples in America was in Chicago, after Swami Vivekananda spoke at the World Conference of Religions in 1893. I had a friend in college whose parents were really active in it and, from her, I kind of got a sense of the development. It started out sort of a mixture of well intentioned University of Chicago intellectuals and a few people from India. By the 1960s when her family got involved, the Indian immigration to America was really kicking off and the temple became a gathering place for all the Hindu arrivals to the city who wanted a religious community, because it was the only one anywhere in the region. And then when we were in college together, the temple started raising money to build out in the suburbs, instead of staying the University of Chicago/Hyde Park area where it was founded. And today it is a very very large building out in the suburbs, where it competes with several other Mega Temples.

My impression is that when the Hindu community in America was smaller, any temple in existence was visited by anyone. But as the community grew, it split increasingly down language, caste, etc. lines. Yes, temples may be specific to one particular God or Goddess, but that particular God or Goddess is probably specific to a particular region, language group, and so on. There’s also some interesting stuff about how the meaning of “temple” has changed after arrival in America. In India, there would be a temple society that your family might be part of, board of directors and so on, but there would also be loads of people who just stopped by the temple once a week to pray and left and that was the extent of it. In America, the temple has become the center of ethnic life in a slightly different way. The Temple/Temple society might host special events for holidays where you can meet and mingle with people of your particular caste/ethnicity/etc. They might host language classes for children, or dance classes, and certainly religion classes.

There’s also a big divide based on where the temple is located. There’s a Ganesh temple down the block from me which is literally a storefront with a big Ganesh idol inside. That’s it. They rented the empty storefront for one week during Ganesh Ganpati a few years back, and it was so popular, they’ve just kept it going. You put in a donation, I guess that pays for rent, and that seems to be the extent of the organization. That would be the experience a lot of people would have back in India, a place you can casually stop by on your way to and from work to pray. Very different from the Mega Temples out in the suburbs in America that are the center of a whole complicated social life.

Anyway, that is a very long way to say “yes, you are right, you would find the one where you feel you belong”. Only it would be more likely that your mother would say “I asked your aunt who asked her husband’s sister who asked her friend who says there is a —– temple nearby, go there”. Making sure you keep yourself to the proper language, God, and on and on. But there still may not be enough options, when I was in college another friend was constantly complaining because her temple society had to share Telugu and Tamil (she was Telugu). Her family preference would clearly have been a pure Telugu society, but no luck, not available in the Chicago area at the time.

I’ll also tell you that, as a UU, we are getting an increasing number of Hindus in our congregations. Because when you don’t feel like you belong anywhere, you end up a UU. We win!

• That’s all fascinating, thank you. It’s so different once a community is trying to come together in a new place. Religion can be a connector or a difference that persists. It must go through a whole different stage once you’re two and three generations rooted here too.

• Exactly! I mean, same thing in my family. We started out going to German speaking congregations where you could raise your kids knowing their roots and so on and so forth, and then the next generation went to English speaking congregations with German roots (UCC, Evangelical Reform German Lutheran back in the day). And then the next generation became UU.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 8:02 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. How did you start making sense of the Indian culture when you started watching Indian movies? I was searching for series which have short episodes and Bonding showed up on Netflix. As the name somewhat suggests it is about BDSM culture and the main character in the series is a girl who is a dominatrix (I think). I have no idea of the BDSM culture and after having watched 3 episodes I am unsure which parts are how it is and which parts are made up.

• Strangely, I know a fair about about the BDSM culture 🙂 And my biggest problem with that show is, from the friends I know involved, it is REALLY HARD to break into the Dominatrix business!!!!! It’s all word of mouth and building trust and personal recommendations and it takes YEARS to even get a client list, let alone start making a significant income.

Anyway, I started watching Indian movies when I was in college and, coincidentally, all of my friends were desi. So I would watch the movies with them and just ask them questions. Eventually I moved on to reading some books and taking classes, but my starting point was just asking questions of my friends. Which I really think is the best possible grounding!

5. Are there new Alia-Ranbir engagement rumors? Is this related to their Maldives vacation? Or is this because they both recently had COVID and are just euphoric about being alive? I can guess why their engagement rumors upset you but if it’s something new, please do share.

Also, I LOVE baths! They are such a luxury and so relaxing! Our bath tub is surrounded by candles and dried flower petals. We also have a tray that lays across our tub where we can place some extra hand towels, a glass of wine, or an iPad. Yes, we take our baths seriously! However, I think a bath is enough to cleanse me and my husband has to shower after a bath to feel clean.

• No new rumors, just the same old rumors, but I can always have something to talk about and have opinions on it!!!! Not happy, think Alia is too young and inexperienced to make a commitment, think Ranbir is too messed up and should have therapy and not get married.

I am jealous of your bath set up! I have a small stained bathtub. I still take baths, but it’s not so much an elegant lovely experience. Maybe once I have a permanent place to live, I will try to find the right size trays and pillows and things to fit in a small tub.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 3:22 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. The trailer was Radhe came out 5 days ago! I can’t believe I missed it.

I couldn’t find a copy with subtitles but it really doesn’t need it. Basically, there is a drug problem in the city and Salman is tasked with cleaning it up. Here’s the thing, the trailer bored me!!! It’s looks slightly darker than I expected it to be and Salman just wasn’t very exciting in it. Ugh!!! I am hoping the movie is much better than the trailer.

• Oh dear. I’ve been putting off watching the trailer because it looked dark, and you are not encouraging me! But there is also supposed to be a song video that might have an Allu Arjun cameo? So that should encourage me.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 7:35 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It’s darker than I expected from a Salman movie, but at the end of the day, it’s a Salman movie, so it’s not very dark. You know that Salman will kill all the bad guys and single-handedly solve the drug problem. There seems to be little to no romance, which I am okay with because Salman + Disha Patani = EW!