I think Chetan has earned his birthday post on my film blog, don’t you? He’s about to have his 4th big budget big deal movie made off of one of his books. And according to his wikipedia, he wrote the screenplay for Kick (although that’s a remake, so I don’t know how much there was to writing the screenplay, probably just putting in some Hindi dialogue). But he isn’t a “real” film person, so I am not going to do a full 43 reasons, just leave it at a dozen.
1.1. I love you because before you were a writer, you were an IIT/IIM graduate and a successful bank employee; you aren’t just successful in the arts, you are successful in the real world as well.
2. I love you because you didn’t make life wait on art, you were 35, a father, and married for 11 years before you wrote your first novel.
3. I love you because you take on writing as a practical career, not a hobby, taking on writing jobs where you find them from writing columns to film scripts, along with novels.
4. I love you because you have embraced your semi-celebrity status, instead of being a remote artist on a mountain top, you are open to public appearances and speeches.
5. I love you because you write in English about the new urban India, you are dealing with India as it is, for the current Indian audience.
6. I love you because you also acted as a judge on Nach Baliye, perhaps the least qualified judge in the history of television game shows, and I find that hilarious.
7. I love you because your book Five Point Someone inspired one of the all time classics of Hindi film.
7. I love you because another one of your books inspired a film that launched the three most promising outsider actors today, Amit Sadh, Rajkummar Rao, and Sushant Singh.
8. I love you because your uniquely grounded romance, based on your real life love story, provided a uniquely grounded movie love story.
9. Also, I love you because that uniquely grounded romance inspired some really great songs.
10. I love you because the film that is least faithful to your text inspired a pretty fantastical and un-grounded love song.
11. I love because, despite the casting, the next movie based on your books looks like it could turn out okay!
12. And finally, most of all, I love you because your Shaadi.com ads make you seem like world’s dorkiest cupid, and always make me smile.