Ranbir News! Jagga Jasoos and Sanju Baba Bio

Ramadan!  ‘Tis the season for film promotions!  Because there’s nothing actually coming out (except Raabta), so all we can do is get excited for the things that will be releasing later.

The big news is Jagga Jasoos.  New song video came out, which somehow I find both catchy and clever, and stomach churningly whimsical.

The choreography is really well done.  The way that Ranbir and Katrina move together so perfectly, like they are one person, gives you the idea of a couple working together on the same adventure, perfect partners.  And the song is catchy.  And the camerawork is clever.

But Ranbir’s funky hair style, and Katrina’s overalls, and the way their faces have that “we’re being whimsical!” lack of affect, just makes me worried that this is going to be a film more about the idea of a story than an actual story.

Am I the only one who had to try to understand semiotics in grad school?  The idea is that there is the actual thing (the chair), and then there is the idea of the thing in your head.  And then there is the thing that communicates the idea of the thing (the letters c-h-a-i-r).  What Jagga Jasoos feels like is a film that is representing and trying to communicate an actual film, which in turn would be representing real life.  It’s the “c-h-a-i-r” version of a film.  A representation of the idea of a real emotion.

And in completely different news, the Sanjay Dutt biopic has a release date!  March 30th, 2018.  Based on the topic, and the director, I am assuming that it will be all heart, all simple signs that point directly back to real emotions.  Also, March 30th?  What an odd date!  It’s a nice open period, I don’t think anything else will want to release then.  I guess they are going with the Bahubali 2 theory that the film will make it’s own holiday.

It’s also interesting in terms of Ranbir’s career.  I’ve been going through Shahrukh’s filmography as a case study of how a career used to progress.  And he made 2-5 films a year throughout his early years.  Some were flops, some were hits, but he got to learn things on every set, and make connections with people, and cement his image in the audience mind.  And here’s Ranbir, Jagga Jasoos is taking forever to come out, the Sanjay film won’t be until next year, and who knows what has happened to that Alia film.  Completely different kind of career, every film he makes is big and important, but they have loooooooooooooooong gaps between.  And one flop, like Tamasha, can scuttle a whole two years of work.

(Another movie that felt more about the deconstructing the ideas of emotions rather than actually try to represent them.)

23 thoughts on “Ranbir News! Jagga Jasoos and Sanju Baba Bio

1. That song actually makes me more interested in the film, though definite concerns about the whimsical facial expressions! That’s why I can never watch Barfi or enjoy many Hrithik and Aamir movies because of that “style” of acting. Whenever Salman or SRK pull faces it doesn’t bother me. Weird.

The music itself is great and reminds me I really need to update my iPod and stop listening to so many political podcasts. And the chemistry, especially in the movement, is really good with Ranbir and Katrina. I wonder if like in Jab We Met, the end of the relationship off-screen makes for better on-screen chemistry. I think I might even enjoy Katrina’s performance better in this one than most…it reminds me of my favorite performances of hers in Mere Brother Ki Dulhain and even Bang Bang. I think she might be best on screen when she’s being a bit of a goofball.

So do not care at all about the Sanjay Dutt biopic since I just do not get the appeal of him at all. He’s good at the villain roles but the whole tortured bad boy romantic stuff is lost on me. I consistently resist watching his films and Anil Kapoor films because i just can’t do the mullets and the mustaches on my leading men. I know it’s superficial but I can’t help it!

And here’s another newish trailer for The Fakir of Venice. that was completely under the radar for me…even though I was intrigued when I first heard about it. And apparently it was made back in 2008 and was meant to be Akhtar’s debut. I really liked Finding Fanny and Cocktail and this is written by Homi Adajania (and somewhat autobiographical or something?). And Farhan Akhtar, even though he lost points for being with Shraddha, is always interesting to me.

• Have you seen Munna Bhai? Or Khalnayak? Those were the two where I felt like I really “got” Sanjay. Of course, he still may not work for you, but that’s what made him work for me.

I agree about their chemistry. But, I was thinking watching the way they were interacting, I almost would have bought it more from siblings than a romantic couple. They are so much “of one mind”, rather than opposites attract.

That trailer is like a little time machine! Farhan looks so young! If I am understanding the plot, it reminds me of that documentary Kumare about the artist who pretended to be a Guru and acquired various disciples.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:32 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Nope, never seen Munna Bhai and I need to remedy that someday. Or Khalnayak…that’s the one with the famous Madhuri song and romance, right?

• Yes and yes! Munna Bhai will let you see why everyone loves him now, he is incredibly cuddly. But Khalnayak might help you finally grasp the bad boy charm that first brought him to the top in the first place.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 10:23 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I am less forgiving. I will watch the song video, but there better be more to the movie if they want me to enjoy it! Especially after I somehow ended up seeing Besharam AND Tamasha in theaters. And Bombay Velvet in theaters 3 times, for reasons I can’t easily explain. One more overly-mannered Ranbir film in theaters might kill me. At least Saawariya I missed and only caught on DVD. And Barfi I skipped entirely because the title accurately reflects my reaction to the trailer.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 9:50 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• You saw it 3 times in the theater because Bombay Velvet is awesome?!!! Tamasha was an idea of a movie, you’re right, that didn’t translate well in the end. I still have it on my shelf because there’s always something about an Ali film. But I couldn’t stand Rockstar for similar reasons. I’m all over the map and swimming against the current when it comes to Ranbir. I actually didn’t mind Saawariya, I like moments of Anjaana Anjaani, and love Bombay Velvet. Wake Up Sid is still my favorite of his films though and that one everyone seems to like. I’m looking forward to his later work because I think he’s a bit of an old soul lost in trying to appeal to the youthful audiences.

• I like how the greatest possible praise for Saawariya is “I actually didn’t mind it!” But Bombay Velvet continues to be my bete noir, random flashbacks of “but, that makes no sense! What is the timeline here? Why are the costumings like that? Why did he shave his mustache?” wake me in the night.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 10:21 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Maybe that’s why I didn’t like it? I have severe migraines, which have turned me off all altering substances since they all just make me feel like I am about to get a terrible headache and throw up (not that the necessarily do that, just that the sensation is similar to my migraine auras). Anyway, I have also discovered that all those movies like Head that you are supposed to watch while altered similarly make me feel terrible.

And now I am thinking “Yes! That’s it!” Tamasha and Bombay Velvet were both the movie form of that feeling when the world suddenly starts to go sidewise on me and my senses are oddly heightened, and yet everything I am sensing disgusts me. And then I throw up for 2 weeks straight.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 12:15 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Wow, really sorry to hear about your migraines. I went through a time of having cluster headaches, from age 13 to my mid-20s. Not sure why they stopped but I am SO grateful they did.

• Oh, it’s a lot better than it used to be! I just know that if I don’t have enough sleep/too much chocolate/too much caffeine/not enough caffeine/processed meet/cold beef/Thai food/stress, I will get a migraine. So I try not to do those things (although I still do them and then curse myself two days later).

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 3:26 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. The Sanjay Dutt biopic was originally supposed to clash with Tiger Zinda Hai for Christmas.

I don’t really think Ranbir’s career is going any different than any of the other young actors around. I think Jagga Jasoos is the only movie which has really been delayed. Plus he’s had multiple releases in 2013 and 2015. If you look at Ranveer, he’s had only 1 film last year and only 1 this year and I this is the same with Arjun as well.

• I don’t like it with any of them! There is so much pressure on each release, to be a hit or else their career is “over”, and there is no way to change the narrative for another 8 months, until their next film comes out.

• Yeah, that’s definitely true. I also think that the younger actors also make their choices more carefully, especially after a flop. For example, I don’t think Aditya Roy Kapur has signed another movie since Fitoor :/

By the way, check out this interview of Varun’s where he talks about his presence on social media and other things like trolling.

• I did now! Thanks for the reminder. Another way that Varun seems more serious and aware of all the “work” that goes into stardom besides just showing up on set and performing. Ranveer is similarly savvy, but I can’t think of anyone else from the younger generation that is this imaginative and committed to promoting themselves. Certainly not Ranbir, or Arjun, they are far in the other direction, very unwilling to open up.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 11:11 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Right! I find Varun and Ranveer very similar in that aspect. One thing I wonder is how much of a difference does it all make? For example, Ranbir isn’t on any social media but he was still at the top, in terms of popularity, even when he had like multiple flops (Besharam-Tamasha).

• Only, Ranbir had multiple flops. And I have to wonder, was that related? Partly because Ranbir couldn’t drive that blind opening day audience rush from his fans. And partly because he was so disconnected from the audience that he couldn’t predict what they would want.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• If I remember correctly, Besharam had a huge opening (I think about 20 crores on Day 1). I would give the success of YJHD credit for that opening. I think you may be right in that Ranbir isn’t really giving his fans what they want. He hasn’t really done a good commercial movie since YJHD. The closest thing would be ADHM which is his only hit in a while. I have a feeling that the Dutt biopic will be his next blockbuster though.

• I feel like people will show up Day 1 for the Dutt film, but it will be for Sanjay and Rajkumar Hirani, not Ranbir. Certainly that’s why I want to see it, those are the names that will draw me in.

It will be interesting to see how the promotions go, if it is more about “From the man who brought you PK” and a bunch of in depth Sanjay interviews, or if it is all “STARRING RANBIR KAPOOR”.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 12:20 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I think at this point in time, the main brand that will bring in the crowds is definitely going to be Rajkumar Hirani. Then it would be Sanjay Dutt and Ranbir. Maybe if Jagga Jasoos does well, they will focus more on Ranbir but other than that this is Rajkumar Hirani’s movie.

3. Pingback: Shahrukh’s Movie Has a Stupid Title, Tubelight Has a Touching Song, and I Still Don’t Know What’s Going on in Jagga Jasoos | dontcallitbollywood