New Yash Raj Trailer! Way More Interesting Than the Stupid Star Launch Thing

Thanks to you nice commentators (Niki in particular), I was alerted to this trailer.  And it is really interesting!  Although the new “Kapoor” kid still isn’t blowing me away, the new actress is great.  And then I thought I might as well do a quick look at any other new trailers that our out there, so this also has a song from Baadshaho, Indu Sarkar, and Haseena Parker.

This is the one I am most excited about, the Qaidi Band one.  It’s a great opening idea, to focus on people stuck in jail while awaiting trial.  Which is a problem in America too, more so in some cities/states than others.  And I don’t know if an American popular film has ever really dealt with it, so good on Yash Raj!  Talking about this problem!

I really hope they don’t pull any punches either.  Clearly our hero and heroine are extra smart, but I don’t want them to have some elaborate backstory, I would prefer a simple kind of “lower middle class kids picked up because they looked like a description of someone and now rotting in jail waiting for trial” explanation, instead of an elaborate “My father’s enemy framed me and I must prove my innocence!” thing that makes you think “well, that could never happen to me.”

The heroine is way more interesting to me than the hero, based on the trailer.  For one thing, the hero has that whole “too smart and charming for his own good” kind of thing I’ve seen before.  But the heroine is tough in a new way, does threading to make money, but is also willing to get in a beat down with a fellow prisoner.

The big question mark for me is the music.  It’s supposed to be a whole film about music.  And while the little bit of a song we got was nice, it wasn’t like “Oh WOW!” nice.  Looks like the music director is Amit Trivedi who is a bit hit and miss for me so far.  Bombay Velvet, Udta Punjab, big amazing hit in my book.  Totally unique sound, really nailed it.  But then Fitoor was kind of drippy, Dear Zindagi was a little bland.  His first big major hit was Ishaaqzaade with the same director, so maybe it is one of those things where the right director/composer combo can make magic happen.  I hope so!  Because this film is going to rise or fall on the music.

 

And then there is Haseena Parkar.  Which will rise or fall on Shraddha Kapoor.  So, fall.  Oh my gosh is this casting a bad idea!  Even if she were the greatest actress of her generation, she is a baby little 30-year-old who has never led a film before, and this really really needs a “Star” in the center of it.  Rani Mukherjee, Vidya Balan, Sridevi, Madhuri, Juhi Chawla, that’s who you want.

And they are releasing it on a dumping ground weekend (between Toilet: Ek Prem Katha and all the 25th releases), so I don’t think the producers have much hope either.

 

Indu Sarkar, now this looks interesting!  Which surprises me, because I have very low expectations of Madhur Bhandarkar.  He tends to like too many characters and a serious filming style masking crazily melodramatic plots.

But I think maybe that might be the best way to handle a film on The Emergency?  Just go way over the top and dramatic, don’t pull any punches.  Because you are always going to insult people, might as well go all the way.

Most of all though, Madhur Bhandarkar has FINALLY cast the right person as his heroine.  He seems to cast really interesting actresses, but almost always in the supporting character role.  And even the way the supporting character is written is more interesting than the heroine.  But this is a throwback to when he cast Konkona Sen Sharma as the heroine of Page 3, a lowly journalist with the least dramatic personal life and most interesting inner life of all them.  I am delighted to see Kirti in a leading role, and playing a character who wouldn’t usually be the center of a movie, a housewife turned activist.

 

And then there’s Baadshaho.  Which seems to be dealing with the emergency by saying “what if Gayatri Devi was 30 years younger, and liked to walk around her palace naked and was inspired by a low class gangster type instead of her own principals?”

Really, that’s the plot here, right?  With the whole photo on Life magazine and elegant female politician type who lives in a palace?  I wonder how they will set it up?  I assume she will have to be either a widow or an unmarried princess.  And maybe already a rising public figure when Ajay comes along and inspires her to be more or something? And how does this all relate to the action/smuggling part of the story?

 

Oh gosh darn it!  This song video is so bad and so misogynistic that it is making me really hate the film (and also kind of hope Kajol gets a divorce), but at the same time now I just have to watch it because I really really want to see how this ties in to the rest of the plot.

Advertisements

23 thoughts on “New Yash Raj Trailer! Way More Interesting Than the Stupid Star Launch Thing

  1. It’s YRF so I fully expect a more filmy rather than a realistic take on it. But rock band and Trivedi oh yes now I do have some expectations from the album at least.

    And that rooftop strip lol I hope they at least try passing it off as a bet or something she loses and so has to do instead of just for the promotional heck of it in broad daylight on a terrace.

    Like

    • Well, it does have a slight look of Chak De, India, so it is always possible this is the one realistic film every for YRF.

      On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 1:29 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • As for Haseena, the plot is supposed to chart her story from teens thru 40s. So I don’t see how any of those alternatives could work.

        Like

        • I think I’d still prefer an actress who was stronger on the 40s side of things than one who was stronger on the teens side. Or even two actresses, I wouldn’t mind Shraddha for the first hour and then she grows up to be someone else.

          Like

          • Really!? Badlapur casting Varun had the same doubts esp he signed on right after SOTY and that came out great with a convincing performance so I’d still back a bold decision like this and she does look the part well.

            I wouldn’t think they could have had different women playing the same central character across adulthood, no way that’ll convince. A fleeting shot of a teen Shivu right before Prabhas reveal is fine but surely not this.

            Like

          • I think it could work, we had almost 20 minutes of Shashi at the opening of Awara before Raj showed up. Oh! This is me being silly, but wouldn’t it have been great if they did something like Jhanvi playing the younger version and Sridevi playing the older?

            On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 2:30 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

            >

            Like

  2. The YRF trailer looks interesting. But I’m struggling to remember the last good movie from YRF. Byomkesh Bakshi? They have so many ideas that sound great on paper, that translate well into trailers and first look, but somehow always lack as final product. And it’s criminal that they have a contract with Dibakar Banerjee, and of all the potentially more interesting alternatives – his next movie is with Arjun Kapoor. Really?

    Like

    • Yeah, it does feel kind of like something is missing. They have one really big guaranteed hit film a year (last year it was Sultan, this year it will be Tiger Zinda Hai). And then they have this little experimental movies that somehow don’t quite become box office hits, and also aren’t that interesting.

      Like

        • I think they need to get hungry again. They’ve been making money hand over fist this whole time, without doing really out there or astonishingly good film producers, because Aditya has cracked the business code. He needs another series of massive flops, like he had in 2007-2008 that lead to Chak De and Rab Ne.

          On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 8:04 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

    • Criminal?! Honestly unsure if you meant he’s too good for them because Byomkesh is his only thing that hasn’t worked from his 6 or 7 films in the past decade.

      Like

  3. Daddy is releasing on July 21st and no word from you yet.Have you given up on Arjun Rampal? His performance look interesting from the trailer.And he has co-written this too.Plus the heroine is Southern actress Aishwarya Rajesh from Jomonte Suvisheshangal.Remember her? Dulquer’s Tamil girl friend and partner in his textile business.From the trailer her role looks minuscule.But who knows?

    Like

    • I will never give up on Arjun Rampal! But this movie just isn’t being promoted in the area of the internet/world that I hang out in. I watched the Yash Raj one because a couple of the (very very few) people I follow on twitter re-tweeted it. And then the other trailers popped up on youtube because I watched that one. And yet Daddy, somehow invisible to me! Youtube doesn’t recommend it, no one tweets about it, so I keep forgetting.

      On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 3:01 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  4. The new guy in Qaidi Band keeps reminding me of Jacky Bhagnani and will most likely have a career like him. Since this is a Habib Faisal film I’ve very interested because I love his last two and I am little intrigued about the parallel plot with Farhan’s Lucknow Central. There was a story about it over at Bollywood Life. Still the music *does* have to be amazing to overcome any flaws the leads may have.

    I can’t believe I’m going to say this but I’m somewhat more interested in the Haseena film after watching the trailer. I think it’s woefully miscast, too, and I could definitely run for president of the Shraddha anti-fan club. BUT maybe a good story and direction will save it.

    And thanks for pointing out the great casting in the Bhandakar film. I wrote him off early on because of his skeeviness, but I’ll have to try this one.

    Ajay is really falling out of favor lately and it doesn’t just seem to be with fans and movie-goers. I think the KJo/Kajol thing somehow reflected poorly on him. As I’ve said before, I think he’s probably extremely controlling and therefore tends to isolate himself and those around him from the rest of the industry in weird ways. Ajay has always kind of been a weird romantic hero…a little OTT macho and now it’s just looking weirder and weirder opposite the younger woman cast opposite him.

    Like

    • I wonder what changed with Ajay? Because Hum Dil was like the total opposite of the usual Ajay role. And so where most of his parts opposite Kajol. Maybe it’s just the time? In the 90s/early 2000s, you had to play more the balanced romantic lead if you were going to get anywhere? But now it’s all macho-macho-macho, so Ajay can go back to what he was at the start of his career.

      Also, I have Jackky Bhagnani with a fire that will never die because I had to watch Filmistan for a talk I gave, and it was THE WORST MOVIE. And clearly only existed because Jackky was starring in it.

      Like

      • This is only a theory but I think maybe he feels somewhat overlooked and slighted in the industry. Even though he’s not a Khan…he certainly co-starred with them at times and he’s definitely on the same level of stardom as Saif and Akshay but he doesn’t get the same amount of respect, coverage, and adulation that they do. I think there are other issues at play beyond his personality and I think that the fact that he’s not fair and traditionally handsome has influenced his career. For the record, I’ve always found him much more appealing and sexy than many of his contemporaries especially when compared to Salman and Aamir. He was great in Hum Dil (though I would argue there’s an element of manipulation and control that is an undercurrent to that self-sacrificing character) and when you say the parts opposite Kajol I can only think of the French Kiss remake where he plays a rough kind of guy, but that’s a gap in my 90s film knowledge otherwise. I also loved him in Chori Chori (one of my favorite underrated romances) and he has a vitality and manliness that works in movies like Omkara and Singham that many actors can’t pull off very well. Imagine him in Raees. That’s a re-casting I’d like to see.

        You mean Youngistaan, not Filmistan (which wasn’t so bad, btw), right? Never seen it.

        Like

        • Yes! Youngistaan! I would never slight Filmistaan. Sorry, up too late last night.

          It felt like in his movie with Kajol, maybe just because we were being sold them as an equal pair, she was more likely to do things instead of just drape herself over him. Even if he was still playing that gunda type role, it was without the strange power dynamic I am suddenly seeing now.

          But I agree that he has a kind of vitality that is rare and I wish was used more. Once Upon a Time in Mumbaii is one of my all time favorite movies, and it’s largely because of his performance. It’s part of the reason I had high hopes for this film, that reuniting with Milan Luthria for another crime/historical kind of film. But instead it seems to be more along the lines of Shivaay or Singham Returns (also loved Singham, now that I think of it) where he is perfect and wonderful and some much much younger seeming heroine draps herself all over him.

          On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 9:33 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

  5. Pingback: Two More Trailers! A Fun Light Rom-Com, and the Opposite! | dontcallitbollywood

  6. I’m expecting the music of Qaidi Band to work since YRF usually has good music in it’s movies.

    Haseena Parkar doesn’t seem as bad as I expected it to be. Is Apoorva Lakhia a good director? All I know is that he made that Zanjeer remake with Ram Charan that was a disaster.

    Like

    • He’s okay. 7 movies in 14 years, so he’s working steadily-ish. I think the most popular/impressive one he has done was Shootout at Lokhandwala. Not like it was brilliant, but it was flashy and fun to watch. You HAVE to check out the Ganpat song from it if you haven’t already.

      He’s of the same family as Milan Luthria, but with a little less depth. Or Sanjay Gupta but with more staying power and less color filters.

      On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 12:26 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  7. Pingback: Trailer Post! New Farhan Movie, And Non-SRK Songs | dontcallitbollywood

  8. Pingback: Secret Superstar Trailer: A Nice Small Story | dontcallitbollywood

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s