Happy Birthday Saif! Somehow old and young simultaneously. 47 years old, with a new baby, and a daughter who is old enough to be looking at a film launch.
1.1. I love you because you were born into a 4 way royal family. Literary and political royalty from your maternal great-uncle Rabindranath Tagore, film royalty from you mother Sharmila Tagore, sports royalty from your father the captain of the Indian cricket team, and of course royalty-royalty from your father’s position as the last king of Pataudi.
2. I love you because you fell in love at 21 with a woman 12 years older than you, begged her to go out with you, moved into her house the day after your first date, and were married within months.
3. I love you because you could have taken it easy, lived off the family money or your wife’s money, but instead you went out and hustled and worked and slowly got your own place in the film industry.
4. That place of course being the fluffy haired lightweight standing next to a stronger star, like Kajol.
5. And also wearing terrible shirts.
6. And, of course, having blazing record breaking burn the screen chemistry with Akshay Kumar.
7. I love you because you weren’t afraid to take a risk and reinvent yourself with Dil Chahta Hai. Which was also a reunion with your first co-star, Aamir, from that unbelievably terrible movie Parampara.
8. I love you because you built on that career bump better than your Dil Chahta Hai costars, following it up with Kal Ho Na Ho, Hum-Tum, and other films that followed the same style.
9. I love you because you kept your relationship drama mostly classy and private, while still not denying it. You were open about your divorce, you were open about your relationship with Rosa post-divorce, and you were very open with your relationship with Kareena that rapidly progressed from dating to living together to finally marriage.
10. I love you because this movie is terrible, but this song is super catchy.
11. I love you because this movie is good AND this song is good. Also, for once the white girl wasn’t nuts or evil.
12. And finally, I love you because you gave a performance of a lifetime in Kal Ho Na Ho, even knowing that you were just the 3rd corner to a love triangle and no one would give you credit for what you were doing to hold up the whole film. But I do!
(Preity and Shahrukh are great, but it’s all about that moment when Saif looks at his hand. That’s what makes the whole thing work)
BONUS: Any excuse to post this video so we can all admire the brilliance of it.