New Songs! “Oonchi Hai Building” and New Secret Superstar Song

Thank you Aamir!  Both for releasing a song timed so I can watch it before leaving for work, and for telling me in advance what time you would be releasing it so I could plan around that!  Of course, I still had to write the actual post, but I can do that anywhere.  Oh, and thank you Dhawans for giving us such fun songs!  Twice!

Secret Superstar first.  Be warned, tears may occur!

What I really love about this song is how it isn’t the usual “mother” song.  For one thing, it’s a girl singing about her mother, not a boy.  For another, this isn’t the wise sacrificing kind of mother.  I mean, it is.  But it’s also a “pyaari” mother.  Cute, loveable, sweet.  A reminder that she is a person after all, with her own quirks and personalities.

Which, come to think of it, kind of feels related to the girl singing it instead of a boy?  Because daughters tend to see more of these things than sons, the identities their mother may have had before she became a mother, all the little struggles and challenges that go into making her children feel safe and happy, that being a mother isn’t easy, it’s not that you become one and magically know everything and can do everything.

I didn’t like the tag at the end, which is the same they have used in the other videos, to indicate the “secret superstar” idea, our heroine enjoying having everyone talk about her without knowing it is her.  It felt like turning this whole lovely song into just all about our heroine again, instead of her mother.

But then I realized that part of this is her mother also doesn’t know this song is out there, doesn’t know it is about her.  She wasn’t singing this song as a gift to her mother, to send her a message.  It was sincerely the thing she wanted to sing more than anything else, what was in her heart, whether her mother knew it or not.

And, from a song that may make you tear up, to a song that really really won’t!  “Oonchi Hai Building”.  Which, now that I have re-watched Judwaa, I am much more excited about!

In the original and in this, the idea is cheerful sexy times with full parental approval.  Very strange concept!  Well, sort of parental approval.  The two brothers are mistaken for each other, so Jacqueline’s father encourages her to be alone in her bedroom and enjoy with (he thinks) good wealthy Salman.  Meanwhile over in Taapsee’s house, her wild mother is throwing her at the actual good wealthy Salman, who would never have been able to flirt with her except the twin connection is making him do the same things that “bad” Salman is doing with Jacqueline.  No idea why Taapsee is doing the same things as Jacqueline, maybe they are secretly twins too, or maybe the twin connection extends to the women they love.

And they are doing this with the most explicit/unexplicit lyrics possible!  I really feel like “my elevator can’t go up to your building” has a meaning there.  But then it switches to “so come with band and all like a groom for our wedding!”  So, wait, she’s saying we can have sex after marriage?  Or am I misunderstanding entirely?  The point is, it’s yet another super catchy and also silly song and I love it and can’t wait for September 29th!

98 thoughts on “New Songs! “Oonchi Hai Building” and New Secret Superstar Song

1. Because Varun Dhawan totally destroyed the happy memories I had of this film and that era Salman, I’m going to tell you about my experience with Premam here!

LOVED IT!!! Oh GOD Nivin Pauly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that beard!!!!!!!!!! and the black shirt and lungi!!!!!!!!!!!! So so loved it!! The chemistry he had with all three heroines was amazing. After the accident I feared it might go a little Sadma but thank God it didn’t!!! The song the teacher sings badly at the college fest is one of my favourite love songs of all time! That entire part reminded me of college. Although I went to an all-girls convent college, I totally felt it. The bond between the friends– precious and so real!!! Why don’t we see more of that in more mainstream films?? It was a great film. I might rewatch it some day surely! Oh and did I say I loved the beard already???? Yeah that’s my kryptonite!

• YES!!!! NIVIN FOR THE WIN!!!!!!

I am so glad you liked it!!!! And you see how great it is with masculinity and stuff? He isn’t “girly”, but he has his friends and his heartbreak and is allowed to show emotions. And I LOVE his friends! All just kind of hanging around and supporting him, especially in the last section when he is almost the last one of them to be single and they are all trying to get him married off finally. Oh, and the way it cuts right from the conversation with her about the bad fiance, to him and friends getting back to college days and preparing for the beat down, straight to the wedding? That is my favorite bit, that the filmmakers didn’t feel the need to explain it all, because we knew this guy well enough by now to know that of course he still has that college gunda inside, and of course his friends will show up and help out, and of course they will get engaged immediately because he is done with this messing around.

I also very much appreciate the three phases of life as shown through facial hair. Although I missed the beard at the end, I do see how a mustache more perfectly captures the personality of “boring older guy who runs a bakery”.

And now you have to watch Ohm Shanti Oshaana. Which is not on hotstar, but is on basically every other service. Nivin plays a bearded farmer former communist agitator.

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 10:36 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh it is on hotstar!!! Oh god now I have to watch this tomorrow!! And I love former communists with beards!!!! I love that mix of passionate-about-political-ideology-that-live-beat-out-of-him and beards which are the epitome of guy-not-entirely-giving-a-fuck-about-log kya kahenge!

• Oh man, he is SO HOT in this one. And it’s a total “female gaze” movie, she falls in love with him at first sight and stalks him and everything. And of course people tell her things like “he’s a former communist, he dropped out of school to farm” like it’s going to turn her off, and it just turns her on more.

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 10:52 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I liked Oonchi Hai Building more than Tan Tana Tan in the trailer but when comparing the full songs now, I think my favorite is Tan Tana Tan. Once again, I think it’s smart of them to release video songs that are only 2 minutes compared to the entire song which is more like 3 to 4 minutes long.

More exciting Varun news is that the leading lady for October, the film with Shoojit Sircar, is a model named Banita Sandhu. She worked in an ad that Shoojit directed in the past and now she’s debuting in October.

• That’s really interesting! Makes me think it might be an extra challenging shoot, if they want someone with no other commitments. And I am glad it is someone Shoojit actually worked with before, not just a random model with some buzz.

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 10:51 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

Liked by 2 people

• I think you may be right. Varun’s also supposed to start working on Sui Dhaaga from January so I also think he’ll be working on both movies for a while. Honestly, I am so much more excited for October and Sui Dhaaga than I am for Judwaa 2.

• Sui Dhaaga is with Anushka, right? So he has graduated to working opposite “grown-up” actresses. I’ll be super curious to see how they work together.

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 11:05 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I can’t be the only one to notice what they’re trying to hint at about the movie already if anything? Shy guy and confident girl who’s gonna play chaser.. and then of course this is Shoojit, so shyness is only a facade to hide the Badlapur angst guy Varun post interval.

• I don’t suppose there is a chance that this is a new age version of Baazigar? Because I would kind of love to see that plot played straight, at least the first half with studious Shahrukh and chaser Shilpa.

• Yup! That’s his YRF movie with Anushka. I’m excited to see them together because they have similar energy off screen. They did a joint interview together to promote Badlapur and NH10 and it was really fun 🙂

• My only concern is that their energy is too similar, I’d want some natural conflict built in for an interesting romance.

3. Also, in keeping with your policy of watching the original before the remake (though that timeline is messed up now), you need to watch the Telugu Hello Brother, especially since it stars your new favorites Nagarjuna and Ramya Krishna. Then you can finally work your way up to the real original Jackie Chan version, Twin Dragons.

4. Just wish to register my strong disagreement with the allegation that sons do not appreciate and empathize with their mother’s struggles as much as daughters.

And lol honest to God I never wanted to see the double meaning in the song lyrics! This was from before I was exposed to the big bad cynical world out there.

• How about saying that daughters are more likely to be able to relate to their mothers as people and therefore have a different perspective on them?

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 3:25 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Different perspective sure, relate differently sure but I don’t know what it means to say girls are more likely to relate to mothers as people. If you mean that boys are perhaps likely to take mother for granted as a default duty-bound entity for a longer period of time than girls, possibly. I sure did.

• Yes, something like that last. In the same way a daughter might be more likely to consider her father as flawless and perfect and capable of anything for slightly longer than a son. Just because the experiences of life are so different between the genders, there is an extra gap in understanding that has to be crossed.

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 4:01 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. of course oonchi hai building is all sorts of innuendo…aaajaa aaja raaja ? Funnily enough I realized what that could mean (And thus innuendoized the entire song!!) after hearing and seeing the same words used in Chitrangada Singh’s “Aao Raaja”. Its unmissable and overtly sexual setting in that one.

And I was like…hey I have heard those words somewhere…could it? I mean…what!! NO!! and then hells to the yeah! 😀

• the one thing that throws me is, if I am understanding this correctly, his elevator cannot reach her floor? So, he is singing about his own erectile disfunction? Or am i missing something.

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 12:12 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh, okay, so he could rise up her building, if only she would open her lift. That makes total sense and is very romantic in the way it respects a woman’s right to consent. Some men would just force the lift doors open.

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 12:17 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Lol visually of course all that stuff is obvious but now I can’t sing the songs out loud if anyone is around me. Because log kya sochenge (what will people think).

• I don’t know, I was up last late night, I’m trying to finish my next Luck By Chance post and typing out these responses without thinking. My filter’s a little loose.

• My dear lady you must know that this kinda thing almost never happens to me in real or even virtual world so I just wouldn’t know how to respond appropriately or in kind!

Hopefully I too have a twin somewhere who knows this stuff and can help me telepathically or something.

• Me either! At least, not since I stopped working retail. People flirt with anyone if you are standing behind a counter.

• Oh yeah usually what happens is I prepare all my lines while standing in the queue but then at showtime ? Brainfade what else.

I think the culprits are actually those who make it work as in their stories are of those who met at the sales counter every week or at the restaurant/bar every other week and one thing led to another. So when we hear those success stories it keeps up the drive.

• Hey, that’s how one of my family friends and her husband met! But he was the one behind the counter, he used to give her free sandwiches.

Speaking from the other side of the counter, totally flirted back a) because my movie theater had a tip jar and b) because it is really really boring selling movie tickets all day.

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 3:51 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• So it is sandwiches. Can’t be that difficult to learn. At last someone has given me a tangible, realistically achievable and proven-to-work plan. Let’s hope it is also time-bound. Ok so how long did their courtship play out? This is important!

• About a year and a half. But I think you would need to also get a job at a sandwich shop. I suspect that just handing out free sandwiches to random women you meet wouldn’t work out so well.

• Oh that’s fine, I gather that Saif is coming out with his Chef movie about food trucks and stuff so good timing there that’s sorted.

What do you mean giving them free sandwiches will not work?! That’s the whole plan I thought. No? Coz if it gonna keep coming back to good conversation then it is right back to square one!

• Just saying, some strange guy walks up to me out of the blue and offers me a sandwich, I’m not taking it!

However, rent the official food truck and give free food out of there, totally! Some sense that you are a sandwich professional, voluntarily giving up income in order to provide me with food, now that’s romantic.

• Ooh okay got it, great.

See this is so much better than all those PUA sites that have a very cynical and materialistic view on what women look for. All that time spent there, wasted.

• I think I can pretty much guarantee your time spent there was wasted no matter what it said. Mind blowing idea, might make more sense to ask woman what women like than to ask other men what women like.

Or just ask the particular woman you like what she likes, that would work too. Who knows, some women might prefer free cake to free sandwiches!

• Right okay so uh.. you’re saying you prefer cake then?

Come to think of it cake has been a running motif. Cake in the Friday evening post today, cake mentioned here and of course your very sweet cake offer for birthday if all this was for real!

• Remember my migraine? Cake was basically the only thing I could eat that didn’t make me want to throw up. It has been a large part of my life for the past week or so. cake cake cake.

And the birthday offer was real too, I can make an educated guess as to when it will be, but if you want to give an exact date, I can make sure you have at least one nice thing to look forward to on the day. Internet cake, as it were.

• No you can’t, at least not like me. For example I suspect one of your regular rebel reader’s birthday is in like almost exactly 2 months from now. Could be wrong too of course.

• Well if someone actually tells their sign in a comment, that’s cheating!

anyway, I know your year (because you told me) and that it is coming up soon, which is making me think it is probably early next year? Winter/spring rather than summer/fall?

• Sign can only narrow it down to the 30 day span right, I’m saying down to the exact day from today give or take.

Not sure where I indicated it is coming up soon for myself though coz it sure ain’t. And that also makes me feel a little less worried about your intuitive or perceptive abilities!

• Huh. Just assumed if it was weighing heavy on you. And yes, that means my intuitiveness is less of a concern! Enjoy! You are back to a man of mystery!

If you do get the exact day, or even within a week, of someone else’s birthday, I will be very very impressed.

• I dunno if you’ve seen The Prestige but see the impression only lasts as long the trick is not revealed. Nobody cares about it otherwise!

Anyway it is upto the said person to either call out my bluff if my guess is indeed wrong (assuming they see this ofc) or even if it is right it should be quite obvious to them how I got it lol. Time will tell.

6. @Margaret @Karthik : Should i start singing the M & K sitting in a tree song??? Haha… Anyone else wanna join me in singing this please??? LOL

For a guy who says he has trouble with women, you sure can flirt Karthik!!

• Hey we’ve got a good thing going so mind it will ya!

and if it is indeed your janamdin that falls like a coupla months from now then yes I could have been referring to you :p

• Looks unlikely anyway, I know guys who have to shave like every other day and some every week. I only shave every other week so the growth is that slow. And sparse.

• Acha but then I must be sure it is worth all that which is to say is a significant proportion of the target audience into that? :p

Aur waise bhi it will be a long road to reach for example the gym trainer destination na so that aap jaisa koi meri zindagi mein aaye and baat ban jaye 😀

• Haan but my case only pertains to me, my pretense and running away from my problems. Someone else ka involvement nahi hai. Well hai but wo still zinda toh hai! It’s not the same.

• It may be fair but difference toh dekhiye. It is firmly in your past now and evidently you’ve moved on. No real question of old wounds if any. And poking at an open wound just below the surface? I’d lose it completely.

• Does death make it easier?

And maybe if we do a swap you’d see it’s actually possible to come back up from destruction on that level. On this end, story is so filmy everyone would think I made it up!

• Films draw from real life na sahiba.

Destruction and self destruction is again different. Like I said the first time I can and want to easily jump at your offer to get it off my chest for the first ever time in my life to anyone but then what? My pretense here may be dealt with but then those in my real life around me? I’ll go around with the superficial relief that I may gain here. It is screwed up sure but as long as I don’t fall apart IRL I have to keep it going. Warna the hamdardi I may find here will only serve to further blur the line for me.

None of that applies to you.

• No but as of now you’ve pulled it back together and of course rebuilt and moved on. So I can understand why you want to maybe facilitate that for me or something. But I never confided in my family or even friends and haven’t made one new lasting friendship in my 20s. Lost myself in video games and the like. Shut myself away and built barriers and all that. If I let it get out of hand now then imagine my plight. Bharti hona padega kahin pe.

• Then I’ll recommend you a good doctor or meds that got me through it.

BTW, thank you for saying I rebuilt and moved on. That means my crazy don’t show anymore! 😂 (have you seen the crap I say? HAVE YOU??!! What part of that screams NORMAL to you, haan?)

• Lol no far from Aquarius. And everyone is a bit crazier online than for real or so I thought except perhaps Donald Trump :p

Yes I definitely to talk to SOMEONE even if not meds, and stop feeling sorry for myself and hoping for pity etc. Everyone has problems and what not. But can’t right now that’s all!

• Why are you doing this? It’s not fair. I’m resisting the urge and you ain’t helping. Being dispassionate about it is not ideal. I’m sorry for your losses. Oh why did I come here. You started it all.

• I’m awake! And once again, all sorts of things happened while I was asleep.

First, Karthik, am I right that you are somewhere near my time zone? In which case, whatever is happening, being awake all night staring at a computer screen is probably just making it worse. Go to bed!

Second, Asmita, totally support your willingness/encouragement to share personal stories online in a safe anonymous space. Especially since my view counts have gone way up since this whole thing started. But, even though my view counts may suffer, also totally okay for Karthik to maintain his “man of mystery” dynamic and let us all build an incredibly elaborate backstory for him on our own (I’m thinking, perhaps something like Don? After having left his criminal empire behind, he is living a small life and only letting his evilness appear online).

Also, in about an hour I have to go to a training on how to run classes for 12 8 year olds, and I feel like I don’t need it at all! Trying to keep a bunch of 8 year olds from beating each other up, hanging out in a chat room with a bunch of talkative commentators, totally the same thing!

• Oh Margaret! You woke up to THIS and you now have to deal with 8-year olds?? And you don’t even drink?!! #feelsbadman

As for Karthik, well, the offer is always on the table! I don’t want to make up stories about him because a) he’s going to read those and smile an evil Virgo grin, b) I honestly, genuinely care about broken things and c) hey, if your view counts go up and whoever is reading this is going through something similar and they feel like talking about it, my virtual door is always open.

• At least with the 8 year olds I can declare “wriggle time” and make them all stand up and shake out the emotions.

Although really, my TGIF and Silly Sunday posts are kind of the grown up version of that.

7. Really interesting where a take about a song can go… would like to read your stories, Karthik and Asmita…Karthik, you know, the government of East Berlin made build a wall against the ‘invasion’ from the free West Berlin after having tried – in vain – to isolate whole Berlin from the West…there is nothing you can do against thoughts…one day, each wall you build against the outside will crumble…or you simply perish inside your mind-made prison…your choice 🙂

• No no please right now I can’t look at all the advice I know is right. The closest thing I have to a plan is to deal with it all when I have no choice and nowhere left to run or no time left to stall. Pathetic I know.

• Again I’m not taking the bait. The only way I learn is when shit gets real and well let’s face it this here neva gonna get real ever.

Margaret it is probably not that hard for you to figure out my time zone etc but like I keep saying I’d still like to keep this place at arm’s length. The only more risky thing to do if one can’t make friends for real (because you can’t keep them away beyond a point esp over time) is make friends on the internet!

• Fair enough! So long as there is a nice 8 hour gap in your posting at some point in a 24 hour period so I know you aren’t just staying awake constantly. that can’t be good! Unless, of course, you are actually twins who are sharing the same identity and trading off messages 🙂

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 3:19 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote: