Happy Birthday Preity Zinta! Two Dozen Reasons I Love You!

Happy Birthday Preity!  Can’t believe this is the first year I am giving you a post!  Sorry for the past two years, oh well.  To make up for it, many many things!

1.1. I love you for having a very different kind of pre-fame life, child of an army officer who died in a car accident when she was 13 which also left her mother bedridden, this whole time living in hill stations, not big cities.

2. I love you for having an excellent education pre-fame, one of the best boarding schools in India followed by a college degree and then a graduate degree in criminal psychology.

3. I love you for falling into acting backwards, when a director spotted you at a party and asked you to be in his ad.

4. I love you for being already effortlessly charming in that first ad!

5. I love you for being effortlessly charming in your first movie, and yet another actress launched opposite Shahrukh.

6. I love you for the first film you started shooting being something very brave and different, a teenage girl who gets pregnant outside of marriage.

7.  I love you for immediately creating a new kind of heroine onscreen and off, modern and educated and confident and cheerful and charming and open about your romantic life, the template that everyone from Anushka to Alia is following now was started by you.

8. I love you for being the only one brave enough to testify in the mafia trials against the gang taking over the film industry.

9. I love you for taking a break when you were ready to take a break, doing a seminar at Harvard, starting a business, buying a Cricket team, marrying a nice American man, and just generally building your life the way you want outside of film.

10. I love you for this ridiculous guilty pleasure movie and this ridiculous high drama song that makes no logical sense (her true love discovers she is alive and vice versa when he sees her dancing at his engagement to another woman.  There’s more, but I don’t want to spoil the movie)

(You can read my whole post on the film here!)

11.  I love you for this ridiculous kooky charming song.

12.  I love you for this song, from the second movie in which Saif got you pregnant and then abandoned you.

13.  I love you for being sexy in a way only Anil Kapoor could make seem wholesome.

14.  I love you for giving item songs a try.

15. I love you for giving us the wonderful unbelievable joke opening of, at age 41, marrying a man literally named “Goodenough”.

16. I love you for playing an unmarried mother not once, not twice, but a total of THREE TIMES in your career.  And all in mainstream films!

17. I love you for experimenting and playing an abused woman in a film with Deepa Mehta.

18.  I love you being in Lakshya, perfectly capturing the ambitious without being cruel girlfriend.  And look great with short hair!

19.  I love you for making us believe there is a woman cynical Aamir Khan can truly fall in love with in Dil Chahta Hai.

20.  I love you for being a confident career woman who knows her husband cheating is not her fault and learns to move on and build her own life and forgive him, much more complicated than the usual “wife who doesn’t understand”.

21.  I love you for this song from my third favorite movie with you.

22.  And this one, from my second favorite film with you.

(full review of this film here)

23.  And my favorite film you were in and then sometimes just my favorite film overall depending on the day.  Here, read about how I really really love it.

24.  And finally, because you are Preity Woman!  Even though youtube keeps trying to correct the spelling to “Pretty”

20 thoughts on “Happy Birthday Preity Zinta! Two Dozen Reasons I Love You!

1. Happy Birthday Preity!
    I would add the other reason: I love you because you were in Veer-Zaara.

She is the only actress I can say I have been a fan – intelligent, confident, brave and beautiful.

Liked by 2 people

• Yes! Putting this together reminded me just how wonderful she was. I’m glad she has her nice husband and nice life now, but I miss her in movies.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 4:47 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. She was so creepy in Armaan, it left a lasting impression. I suppose that’s great acting, but anytime a see her in anything else, I think, “Look Out! She’s evil!”

• I’d love for her comeback film to be as an evil older career woman type! I think she would be great at that.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 7:49 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Gotta say, I really don’t much like Veer-Zaara. It’s a little too old-fashioned for me without much bite. Also, the old age make-up is really really really really really bad. If I were giving you a Preity rec, I might say Lakshya, or Kal Ho Na Ho. Her character in Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna isn’t the lead, but is super interesting and unique.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 9:24 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’d like to put in a word for Veer-Zaara. For me it is a wonderful escape movie. The chemistry among Rani, Shah Rukh, and Preity are wonderful. I love the songs. Everything and everyone looks beautiful. And Amitabh and Hema are THE CUTEST together as Shah Rukh’s uncle and aunty (who raised him). There’s love, longing, sacrifice, and a very rosy view about human nature. I remember hearing that it was also close to Yash ji’s heart, but it’s possible he said that during promotions and would say it about every movie he made. 😉

• The second half of Veer-Zaara is indeed a bit too long, and slow and make-up is terrible, but all the rest is beautiful. Scenary, costumes, Shah Rukh, music.. I have watched it for the first time 10 years ago or something like this and I still cry EVERYTIME I watch Aaya Tere Dar Par.

3. Preity is amazing!!

Time for cute Preity story:

Ok so this one I got to know from a young part time teacher at my school (she was the kid of a friend of the school’s owners and after college, she took up a job teaching a few middle school classes while she waited for her family to find her a suitable husband)

So this young teacher told us kids (60-70% of kids in my school were from Upper Shimla, of which Rohru, Preity’s village, is a part), that as a kid, Preity was really mischievous and whenever they were at their village, she used to throw rocks at their windows to call them to come out to play.

Me, not knowing Upper Shimla culture too well at the point (my family had been in Shimla barely 7-8 year at that time and my family’s circle was mostly officers so I didn’t know much about Pahadi village life) and being barely out of middle school, found that absolutely fascinating. I thought Preity, the fierce girl, must be an exception and she felt like she must have been like Mehr Jessia or that supermodel set from the 90s who were so extremely cosmopolitan and who must be so confident and smart and stately that it would be terrifying to talk to her!

I wasn’t entirely wrong, though not 100% correct either. A lot of her confidence and charm and her dignified mannerisms are stereotypical Bedeian. I think those nuns up there know some black magic or something to churn out girls like that year in and year out!!

The groundedness and the fun outlook she seems to have on life, that’s an Upper Shimla thing. It’s an incredibly tight knit community that is also quite progressive even at the lowest levels of society. For these people, one of their own, even a girl, making it big is a matter of pride. She’s a part of their legend now. There are folk songs based on her (Meri Preity Zinta is one I guess). Contrast that with Kangana. She’s from a remote village in Mandi and those are the most conservative people in Himachal. Half the reason why Kangana is so defensive is because she didn’t get accepted the same way in her community as Preity did in hers.

Anywho, so that teacher was once cleaning her schoolthings and gave us kids a chance to pick things we wanted. I took her collection of greeting cards. She kept only the ones of most sentimental value to her.

I used them up on my walls as a part of my teen girl bedroom decor and when I took them down a few years later when I was going for a college girl bedroom look, I noticed that the teacher’s card collection had a few cards from Preity to her and even a couple from Preity to the teacher’s brothers!! I think I still have them! 😂

Liked by 2 people

• That is so cool!

I love Preity’s attitude, and I love the little glimpses we get of her family behind her. Like, her husband was a friend of her brothers from LA. Not an arranged marriage, not a guy she was hidden away from by her traditional family, but a straight-forward, “oh hey, you want to date my sister? That’s cool” feeling to it.

Oh, since you are our informant from the area (I think), do you know anything about Prateik Patil’s fiancee? Or is that somewhere else?

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 10:57 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Smita Patil’s son. Also Pratek Babbar. Always a bad sign for an actor’s career when they keep changing their names!

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:12 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh dear!!! Well I kept thinking “Prateek Babbar just got engaged go a lucknow girl but maybe there’s a Prateik Patil who got engaged to a himachali girl who I should know about!” 😂

Nah. I don’t know the grapevine about her. I don’t have a circle proper here. Beau does. I’ll ask him.

• Now it’s Prateek? This is ridiculous! This is why I always call Ajay “Devgn” and Oboroi “Viviek”. If you are going to change the spelling of your name randomly, by golly I am going to punish you by reminding you of it every time I mention you!

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:16 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m not sure how many ‘i’s and ‘e’s are there in his name anymore. If seems like even in the media, his name’s spelling depends on what outlet another one is using as their source. The hindi spelling remains the same so it doesn’t even matter how the English language press spells his name 😐

• Bad news. In the two+ years that he’s been a regular in at bean’s gym, he hasn’t exactly been close or open with people. He’s polite but no star airs, doesn’t let people get close enough for them to make selfie requests and stuff. Acts like a normal guy. Not much is known about the girl either. Seems like they don’t move much in lucknow circles.

• Well, that makes me feel better in terms of “poor little orphan baby, I hope he grows up well”, but worse in terms of “gossip! I want gossip!”

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:32 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote: