Happy Birthday Preity! Can’t believe this is the first year I am giving you a post! Sorry for the past two years, oh well. To make up for it, many many things!
1.1. I love you for having a very different kind of pre-fame life, child of an army officer who died in a car accident when she was 13 which also left her mother bedridden, this whole time living in hill stations, not big cities.
2. I love you for having an excellent education pre-fame, one of the best boarding schools in India followed by a college degree and then a graduate degree in criminal psychology.
3. I love you for falling into acting backwards, when a director spotted you at a party and asked you to be in his ad.
4. I love you for being already effortlessly charming in that first ad!
5. I love you for being effortlessly charming in your first movie, and yet another actress launched opposite Shahrukh.
6. I love you for the first film you started shooting being something very brave and different, a teenage girl who gets pregnant outside of marriage.
7. I love you for immediately creating a new kind of heroine onscreen and off, modern and educated and confident and cheerful and charming and open about your romantic life, the template that everyone from Anushka to Alia is following now was started by you.
8. I love you for being the only one brave enough to testify in the mafia trials against the gang taking over the film industry.
9. I love you for taking a break when you were ready to take a break, doing a seminar at Harvard, starting a business, buying a Cricket team, marrying a nice American man, and just generally building your life the way you want outside of film.
10. I love you for this ridiculous guilty pleasure movie and this ridiculous high drama song that makes no logical sense (her true love discovers she is alive and vice versa when he sees her dancing at his engagement to another woman. There’s more, but I don’t want to spoil the movie)
(You can read my whole post on the film here!)
11. I love you for this ridiculous kooky charming song.
12. I love you for this song, from the second movie in which Saif got you pregnant and then abandoned you.
13. I love you for being sexy in a way only Anil Kapoor could make seem wholesome.
14. I love you for giving item songs a try.
15. I love you for giving us the wonderful unbelievable joke opening of, at age 41, marrying a man literally named “Goodenough”.
16. I love you for playing an unmarried mother not once, not twice, but a total of THREE TIMES in your career. And all in mainstream films!
17. I love you for experimenting and playing an abused woman in a film with Deepa Mehta.
18. I love you being in Lakshya, perfectly capturing the ambitious without being cruel girlfriend. And look great with short hair!
19. I love you for making us believe there is a woman cynical Aamir Khan can truly fall in love with in Dil Chahta Hai.
20. I love you for being a confident career woman who knows her husband cheating is not her fault and learns to move on and build her own life and forgive him, much more complicated than the usual “wife who doesn’t understand”.
21. I love you for this song from my third favorite movie with you.
22. And this one, from my second favorite film with you.
(full review of this film here)
23. And my favorite film you were in and then sometimes just my favorite film overall depending on the day. Here, read about how I really really love it.
24. And finally, because you are Preity Woman! Even though youtube keeps trying to correct the spelling to “Pretty”