Monday Morning Questions on My Parents’ Anniversary!

Happy Monday!  And Happy 41 Years of Marriage to my parents!  Last year was a big deal, but now it is just kind of “whatever” until they hit 50.

As always you can ask me anything you want from the personal (“what is your favorite movie about a marriage?”) to the specific and factual (“what is different between a Hindu, Muslim, and Christian marriage in films?”) to the general discussion (“what is the best movie about a marriage?”).

The only rule is, you have to let me answer any question first!  The discussion just goes better that way.  But once I have given my answer, please jump in with your own response!

Oh, and a question for you!  I just watched a Malayalam movie yesterday (review going up later today) which is a strong contender for “least favorite Indian movie ever watched”.  What is your least favorite Indian movie?  A movie you really really hated?

For me, Ta Ra Rum Pum Pum because of the incredible selfishness of the main characters and how the audience was expected to forgive and understand.  Also Himmatwala, the new one, which is the only movie I have ever considered walking out on in theaters.  It was regressive and misogynistic, and also just really really boring.  I know there are more, but those are two that leap to mind immediately.

64 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions on My Parents’ Anniversary!

• As I was hoping last Wednesday, she is out of my life! I brought her back to the shelter, all set for her to be miserable, and she was thrilled! Jumped right into her cage, tail wagging, enjoying all the activity around her, no trauma or misery at all. She’s still listed on the shelter website as “available”, but that could just be a delay in them updating things. I am sure someday soon I will log in and see a big “adopted” stamp over her little face.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 8:46 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I think this makes sense about your dog. She might have learned to expect constant attention from living at a shelter – from a rotating staff of volunteers, from a steady stream of visiting potential owners, from the other animals. Thou were expected to replace all that. She’ll probably be happy in a big family, either a family with many kids, or an Indian style joint family.

And it’s a metaphor for marriage – today’s theme – in how we tend to place so many demands and expectations on our 1 partner (especially in a nuclear family), whereas when we were single, we had many friends and family sharing that load.

• Exactly! I am looking for an introvert dog, to match my personality. So we can both sit in our separate corners and read books all evening if we want. I just don’t have the emotional energy to be everything to some needy little extrovert.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 9:24 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes! I do not want a Ranveer dog! Or a Ranbir dog come to think of it. Or a Varun dog. I want a Sid M dog, just sit quietly in the corner and watch me.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 2:44 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. It’s hard to pick a least favorite film because there have been many I’ve just turned off (since life is short!). There are several where I regret having not turned them off: Heyy Baby, Yaadein, Jaan-E-Mann, and all three of the Krrish movie franchise.

What Indian movie do you think best portrays modern marriage in an Indian context, but still makes it relatable across cultural boundaries? I couldn’t think of one right off the top of my head. Instead, I could only think about two somewhat lame attempts: Ki & Ka and Shaadi Ke Side Affects. I liked the former better, but both are poor attempts in the end to deal with gender politics in a marriage.

• For me, marriage movies have to be Mani Ratnam. He really gets at the nitty-gritty of relationships. OK Kanmani is more of a live-in relationship film than a marriage film, but that’s also what makes it more relatable (for me) to the western experience. It’s about a couple figuring out how to juggle conflicting priorities and visions of their lives, not the strict formal version of marriage with exact roles to follow. Guru, which just came up somewhere in another comment, is for me a really rich view of a long term marriage. The awkward beginning, the honeymoon period, the first big fight, and then the little jokes and fights and partnerships as the years go by. Another good one is Kannathil Muthamittal, which isn’t necessarily about a marriage, but through flashback and present day, it shows a couple going from the first flush of love to 12 years of marriage.

Now that I think about it, there are a fair number of films that deal with the ups and downs of a long term relationship, but without having the couple be married. It’s like they are afraid to acknowledge you can have that kind of fights and that kind of adjustments post-marriage just as much as pre-marriage. I’d love to see a movie about a couple who’ve been married ten years, have run out of things to say to each other, feel like co-parents more than a couple, and slowly fall in love all over again as the film goes on. Or even just a married couple who still like each other and have adventures together instead of being the mature adult responsible ones!

Oh! I remembered one! Tumhari Sulu, a delightful film in which husband and wife really really enjoy each other even years after marriage.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 9:40 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• OK Kanmani is a great choice, for the young couple and the older couple at different stages in their “marriage” and I did like that Tumhari Sulu was a realistic picture of a strong marriage that weathers a bit of a life storm.

“I’d love to see a movie about a couple who’ve been married ten years, have run out of things to say to each other, feel like co-parents more than a couple, and slowly fall in love all over again as the film goes on.”

This is a perfect plot for one of those more mature rom-coms we’ve been hoping for, right? In ten years or so I want to see Anushka and Ranveer in this movie. Their vibe would be perfect.

• There is a parallel movie kind of like this, I am blanking on the name at the moment, a lonely housewife starts an online friendship with someone who encourages her to go out and experience life and so on. She finally goes to meet her secret online friend, only to discover it is her husband, who sensed her unhappiness and was trying to help. Oh! Mitr, My Friend! And it was directed by Revathy and starred Shobhana, so lots of old-school actress talent there.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 11:47 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• So are you telling us that the parallel world actually made a film adaptation of The Pina Colada song? 😉

• Yes! Or The Shop Around the Corner/You’ve Got Mail.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 9:15 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. (Bollywood Newbie here, couldn’t log in under my Twitter account for some reason)

Happy anniversary to your folks! I made ten years last November and wow, 41 years is amazing!

I would love answers to all of your hypothetical questions (“what is your favorite movie about a marriage?” “what is different between a Hindu, Muslim, and Christian marriage in films?” “what is the best movie about a marriage?”). I have a sentimental attachment to Raja Hindustani for being my first Bolly movie so I have to say it’s my favorite even though the marriage depicted is completely crazycakes.

I don’t have a least favorite Bolly movie yet but I loathe anything by Christopher Nolan. He is so overrated and his fanboys annoy the hell out of me. Films for people who think they’re smarter than they really are. After sitting through The Prestige and getting to the stupid reveal I swore I’d never watch any of his movies again.

Personal plug: I made an appearance on the Split Screen podcast:

• Christopher Nolan really bugs me too! He’s smart, but not that smart. And he is the classic example of “a woman could never get away with this”. People keep throwing money and opportunities at him and any failure is blamed on the audience not understanding. Funny that you don’t like him, considering that Aamir has remade his movies twice (Dhoom 3 sort of and Ghajini sort of). But I think Aamir’s versions are a lot better, digging into the emotions of the characters instead of just clever games.

Let’s see, my hypothetical questions. I think my favorite movie about a marriage is Saathiya. It does such a great job of showing that marriage is work, real work, and that’s a shock to the system after being all “love will make us always happy”. Hindu, Muslim, and Christian marriage in films are real simple, the Hindu marriage is all about going around the fire 7 times (the actual ceremony has more to it, but the 7 rounds is the most cinematic part so that’s what they always focus on). The Muslim marriage is all about the curtain between bride and groom and the saying of the 3 Kabuls (again, cinematic). And the Christian wedding is all about the church and the veil and the suit. I think Befikre used the “does anyone object” thing, but I haven’t seen that or “I do” in any other film I can think of, it’s just about the white dress and veil and inside a pretty church. And best movie about a marriage, boy, that’s tricky!!!!! Heck, maybe Kabhi Kabhi? Shashi and Raakhee being the perfect married couple, maybe they weren’t in love when they got married but they were by the end of the film, a sort of calm considerate caring love that would be lifelong.

And congrats on the podcast!

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 12:36 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• The Dhoom 3 reveal was so much better because it came in the middle of the film and you had time to get to know the characters as separate people with their own hopes, dreams and tragedies. While the reveal in the Prestige was at the very end and while it was a shock it had no emotional weight because it was like you’d never gotten to know the two brothers at all. Plus the business with Hugh Jackman cloning himself. There’s not enough eyerolls in the world.

Kabhi Kabhie is a wonderful depiction of marriage! I love the wedding night when Raakhee starts out weeping because she isn’t married to Amitabh but then the next morning Shashi has her makeup smeared all over his face and she’s all SWEET MYSTERY OF LIFE AT LAST I’VE FOUND YOU….

• Have you seen Ghajini yet? It’s similar, there is the same essential idea of short term memory loss from Memento, but instead of making it “clever”, they use it for real emotional resonance, the idea of all that this character has lost in so many ways.

And also in Kabhi Kabhi, we have Waheeda and Amitabh to show how marriage is sometimes just a sort of sucky compromise of your hopes and dreams that you soldier through for the sake of the children.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 2:06 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Welcome to Bollywood fandom, Bollywood Newbie/Alisa! I’m actually listening to your Split Screen podcast now at work. I do so love listening to other people describe how they got obsessed with Indian cinema. P.S. Do watch Lunchbox and Piku for a great doubleheader of Irrfan Khan!

3. Oh, Oh I love your question! After reading it I immediately thought about Taal and Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. I hate them. Both boring, too long, with dull heroine, very annoying hero and ridiculous plot. I wish somebody had warned me those movies are so bad. Total waste of time.
    I have seen many other bad ot weird movies, but only few made me hate and regret watching them:
    Jab Tak Hai Jaan – one of the biggest letdown ever
    Yeh Jaawani Hai Deewani – boring, boring, boring and I hate everything in this movie
    Priyasakhi – Madhavan’s bad, misygonist and antiquated movie
    And earlier Chennai Express was on this list to, but not anymore

• Agree about HDDCS and Taal, but I can enjoy them anyway in a sort of “making fun of it as I watch” way.

Disagree about YJHD although I can see where you are coming from, it is a very slow moving internal kind of plot.

Absolutely agree about JTHJ, such promise and then such disappointment!

Just wiki’d Priyasakhi and BLECH! You should watch Priyamani Thozhi to get that bad taste out of your mouth.

And I am super curious, what changed your mind about Chennai Express?

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 2:40 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. I personally hate movies, which have set me up with a ton of expectation and then don’t live up to it and that would be Jab Tak Hai Jaan (I hated this movie except for the Anushka bits)and Raavan. But then i watched the Tamil Raavanan and loved it. So I don’t understand how two movies with the exact same screenplay could elicit such different response in me (clue: Acting/casting)

• Wouldn’t be surprised it JTHJ ends up being the most-hated among the commentators. Or at least most universally hated. It actually made decent box office and in the wider world I don’t run across it much as a “Worst film”. But it’s near the top of my list too. Maybe it’s the disappointment effect? If you went in not expecting much, you don’t mind it. But if you went in expecting genius and got that, you hate it.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 3:40 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Haha yes, I think its all the SRK fans going back really disappointed. It didn’t give me a migraine the way Raavan did but I was greatly disappointed. Reasons the music – despite having Gulzar and AR Rahman, music was underwhelming. Also Katrina – what was that performance? SRK can create chemistry with a tree but apparently not with her. I literally wanted to get up and scream at him to go back to Anushka!
        Also, Yashji just passed away around then hence reviews weren’t scathing. But I feel the movie was more AdiC than Yashji. Adi and his quest for an epic love story. He takes it too seriously.

• Interesting point about Adi, he over-corrected with his next film, a love story in which nothing was serious. Hopefully whatever he makes in the future will manage to strike a balance between the two.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 5:20 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. I think the time and you’r blog helped me change my mind about Chennai Express. I still don’t like it, and I think it could be so much better, but I don’t hate it either. Interesting , almost all the movies on “hate” list, came from the time I was returning to bollywood after few years of hiatus. I needed “comfort” and “feel good” movies, something nice and romantic, but at the same time with good story and old good values [this is tricky because I was shocked when there was sex after 10 minutes in 2 States (I was like – hey it escalated quickly, few years ago they didn’t even kiss, and now this) but loved Hamari Adhuri Kahani where married women loves and has sex with not her husband, and I hated old traditional Priyasakhi.]
    I watched movie after movie and I hated almost everything. Nothing was like I wanted. Who knows maybe today I would not hate YJHD. But then, I found it boring, too long, I didn’t like Deepika and Ranbir together, or their story. I only liked Kalki and Aditya.

And for Priyasakhi, it was even worse than wikipeda says. Basically it was about a traditional man who marries a modern girl and is like: I don’t care what kind of person you are, now you must be a traditional wife I want, but don’t think I will change or something because I’m a man and from traditional family, and EVERYTHING traditional is good, and EVERYTHING modern is bad, so you better keep your mouth shut and make babies.

• Was it in the return period that you ended up going more southern?

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 4:09 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I was a big fan of telugu romantic movies before, especially those with Siddharth. But when I started watching indian movies again it was all hindi.
        I think I have watched only 2 tamil movies: Size Zero and Raja Rani in that period. And one kannada , and some bengali. But last year I found Ohm Shanthi Oshana, and I felt in love. Few days later, when I was desperately looking for news about this movie I found your blog (I remember it was April, so I have little anniversary), and I start watching other malayalam and southern film you recommend.

• Awww, happy anniversary!

Also, a little alarmed to realize that I am the cause of your massive crushes on a long series of different southern men.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 4:43 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• LOL I should thank you for that! I was all lost and always wondering what and who I should watch next, and now, thanks to you, and other fantastic commentators I have a “must watch” list so long I think I will never finish.

• There’s literally a movie in Hindi with the same plot as Priyasakhi called Shaadi karke Phas Gaya Yaar starring Salman and Shilpa Shetty. And I agree, the plot is repulsive.

• Yes, but at least the tamil version has Madhavan in his most handsome period, and being honest I managed finish this movie only thanks to him. I don’t imagine watching this horrendus plot with any other actor.

6. Good question! I don’t have the hate for JTHJ that others do, probably because of the A.R. Rahman score and because it was the second SRK movie I saw, with no promotions or preconceptions. It just popped up on my Netflix list and I watched it. The movie I will never ever, ever, ever watch again is Shakti. Cannot stand Karisma’s emoting and shrieking, love Nana and displike his character deeply, deeply. I do, however, watch the Shahrukh song/dream sequence. Frequently.

As for happily/realistically married couples, I love some of the senior ones, especially Amitabh and Hema in Veer-Zaara.

7. Other movie I remember , I don’t like at all and regret watching: Manam. I know you like it, and I watch it it because of your recommendation, but it should be named: Akkineni’s family album. I think this complicated reincarnation story is only an excuse to show all the members of the family. The story made me dizzy, and was odd, I only liked Sriya’s part , Naga Chaitanya’s character was terrible, I couldn’t stand him, and I’m not able to watch nothing with him. But the worst part was the ending and when Akhil came.

8. Was there any Shahrukh movie that you had absolutely no interest in? Because as of now, I have no interest in October. It may be because of the NBA season going into it’s home stretch or because Mahesh Babu’s next movie, Bharat Ane Nenu, is coming out in a couple of weeks, but I keep forgetting that October is even coming out. I was so excited about the movie but it was gone once the trailer came out. I’m still going to watch it but maybe I won’t watch it during the first weekend. I have three straight weeks of movies coming out so I need to plan when to see October, Bharat Ane Nenu, and Avengers: Infinity War.

• See, it’s a little different for me, because even if I’m not excited as a fan, I am always excited as a industry watcher to see what happens next. But as a fan, I don’t think I’ve been excited about any Shahrukh movie since Ra.One. Not so much that the movies are bad, but that the promotional campaigns just wore me out. Jab Harry Met Sejal in particular, I was over that movie almost before I had even watched it.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 6:42 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Hmm, that’s interesting. The thing with October is that I’m not even interested in the promotional campaign. I’ve seen the trailer a couple times and after that I saw both songs that came out but only because they popped on my recommended in YouTube.

On the other hand, I can’t wait for Bharat Ane Nenu! I’ve been trying hard to keep my expectations low due to the disappointment of Spyder but that’s been tough.

9. By the way, I think I would say a movie I really hated was Besharam. I couldn’t even get through half of that movie and I very rarely stop watching a movie without completing it. The worse part about Besharam was that it was the next Ranbir movie I saw right after I loved him in YJHD.

• Oh yeah, Besharam was terrible! I saw it in theaters, which made it marginally better, because at least it was brightly colored and there was one great dance number, but it was still pretty horrendous.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 6:45 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I think my worst theater experience would be Brahmotsavam. We were at a dollar theater which had terrible seats. The movie was horrible. The only good thing was that it was colorful and it had pretty faces😂

10. Having a very hard time with your question, because (1) I will turn off a movie if it doesn’t grab me within about 30 minutes, so I don’t usually watch a movie long enough to hate it, and (2) It’s hard for me to distinguish between a movie I hate and a performer I hate, cf. Ek Villain (Shradda, didn’t mind Siddharth since he just has to scowl and he looks so pretty), Fitoor, etc. However, after five minutes of concentrated thought I came up with Guzaarish. I don’t hate Bhansali as much as a lot of people do, but this is just so contrived. Guy seems to be happy, role model for other people with disabilities, and then a fly lies on his nose and he decides to off himself. Bhansali is often accused of being all style and this is one for which I think that is completely true. And my bonus, marriage related movie which I hate for marriage-related reasons! Do Anjaane. You gotta love a movie in which Amitabh Bachchan loses his memory twice in the first 20 minutes. SPOILERS however, for a few minutes at the beginning of this movie I thought it would have an interesting depiction of the marriage: Rekha’s not great, because she has different expectations, but Amitabh doesn’t handle it well either, and they gradually drift apart. No bad people, just two young and inexperienced people. (And then she runs off with his best friend, so). But then at the end we discover: it’s all Rekha’s fault! And she has to be punished and then forgiven. That was disappointing, although I can’t say I hate the movie as a whole.

• I am jealous of your ability to turn off a movie! I can’t, even if I know it is horrible (thus today’s Malayalam review), once I start it I have to finish it. Which is why I have never even started Guzaarish. Life’s too short.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 9:20 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

11. Tell us a little bit about your parents’ love story and relationship journey together. Nothing too personal, moreso as a portrait of how a couple stays together 41 years.

12. Movies I hate – I used to have this reaction to almost every Hindi movie I tried to watch during the 80s and 90s.

In the Indian art and parallel and documentary cinema world, there are a lot of movies that are propaganda films in disguise. I really hate such films and particularly resent them for hijacking, diluting, and giving a bad name to an otherwise legitimate space.

In mainstream film, I tend to only watch things that I think I would like, and i tend to watch in arrears, like on tv or Netflix, so i have advance notice that a good film might actually be bad. I experienced some recent disappointments live in the theater – Rangoon, Chef, Teen, PK.

But movies I actively hate are probably those that try to shove Katrina Kaif’s dancing down our throats, with extended acapela solos and such. So i think that’s just 2 – Dhoom 3 and JTHJ. I just cannot even with her overwrought, heavy footed, overly athletic dancing style. A good dancer makes dancing look easy. By contrast, she makes every solo look so challenging and difficult that i feel second hand knee pain every time her feet hit the ground. She destroyed Chakni Chameli this way. I may be the only person on planet earth to say this, but I’d much rather watch Katrina act than watch her dance these overwrought solos. I really just shut the tv off after a couple of minutes of it. But she is good at the comic – musical – theater style of dance – Sheila ki Jawani is pure joy & i rewatch it often on YT – as well as the ordinary mainstream bollywood dancing – she’s smooth and light in the jasleen royal wedding number in BBD and smooth and cool in the BBD end credits song. Stepping off soap box now.

• My friends talk about how Kamli always makes them want to work out. Because that’s what it feels like, a really tough aerobics class. I agree about Katrina’s more graceful simple songs, what I really like is that it feels like she is someone who legitimately enjoys dancing, when she is allowed to enjoy it instead of running around getting out of breath. The BBD wedding song is delightful, with those really simple light moves that she just smiles through.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 10:11 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

13. Last night I re-watched bits of Asoka (I stopped before the really sad parts), and I was charmed by the made-up (I assume, though it could be based on current traditions in Odisha) marriage ceremony of Shah Rukh and Kareena. I like how Hindi movies make up clothing, looks, and ceremonies for India’s semi-mythical past, just like Western movies do for Europe’s. The main thing is, as you’ve said Margaret, that it’s important the film makers acknowledge that’s what they’re doing, instead of trying to pass off their vision as authentic.

So, long prologue to a question–are there made-up ceremonies or dances from those semi-mythical movies which you have liked, marriage related or not?

I don’t feel like watching bad movies are a waste of time. I get disappointed, but I agree with Shah Rukh–even a bad movie represents someone’s vision, artistry, and work. Even a bad movie is a little miracle to me. Doesn’t mean I re-watch bad movies, haha. But one Hindi movie I wish I hadn’t seen was Tanu Weds Manu Returns, because it made me sad and ruined the first one for me. These self-obsessed, upper middle-class yuppies just come in and bulldoze Kangana 2’s life. What the heck. What happens to her afterwards? I was so concerned for Kangana 2 that I stopped caring what happened to Maddy and Kangana 1. I hope they never have kids.

JTHJ is a movie where my Shah Rukh fangirl-ness overwhelms any critical abilities. I skip many Katrina parts when I occasionally re-watch it–but he is just smoking hot in that movie. The thing I dislike most about JTHJ is the “singing into an air microphone” move in the song Jiya Re. Absolutely ruins a really fun song which I’d otherwise re-watch often. But I just can’t with that move. The thing I like most is Rishi and Neetu’s cameo.

I own this version of Jiya Re, which is also more fun to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoSdrc3_FdQ

• Hmmm, now I am trying to think of a truly made-up ceremony. I more tend to like the movie twists on the regular ceremonies. I am always a sucker for when the couple holds hands going around the fire instead of being tied together. Or even more, when the groom carries the bride. The Parineeti twist of “I’ve accidentally garlanded you, no we are married!” is so silly and so unashamed of its silliness that I love it. Gadar has that amazing moment when Sunny swipes blood in Amisha’s part and declares she is Sikh now. Oh, and on the more made-up side of things, the stair sequence in Chennai Express is brilliant in how it convincingly takes Shahrukh from silly immature guy to a man a woman could fall in love with, without completely changing his essential character.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 6:43 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Ooh, or the terrible moment in Bhansali’s Devdas when Shah Rukh hits Aish and puts blood in her part. That’s the moment when I decided his character didn’t deserve a happy ending.

And, I love the “wedding” in Sona nahi na sahi/One 2 Ka 4 of course. Sigh. It even features Shah Rukh’s “I’m so in love with you it is making me stupid” look. Hee.

I’m trying to remember other “remote semi-mythical past” ceremonies where I went–oh that’s cool, but I’m blanking. Must have been some in Baahubaali 1 and 2.

• The “burning coals on head” ceremony that bookends B2 is kind of cool.

Have you seen Gadar? It’s got all kinds of problems, but at least for once the blood in the part marriage ceremony is really great. Almost erases the messiness of how it is used in Devdas.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 9:56 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I love Sunny in Darr. Because Yashji KNOWS he is a meathead and is playing it up so the audience sees it as well. Anyway, Gadar is strange and violent and jingoistic, but the love story is like nothing else. I don’t even know if I can recommend it exactly, although it is a really good film. It’s confusing.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 10:35 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• For “accidental” marriage rituals, I like the one in Singh is Kingg. 🙂

Any ceremony/ritual that you feel is way misogynistic or stupid is likely to be made up.

• Thanks a lot for the video, procrastinatrix 🙂 was a real pleasure to watch!
      I think I can’t be very critical with movies of actors I like very much…I would always find enough positive to like the movie.
      I certainly have watched movies that bored me, didn’t capture my emotions or attention but I just forgot them. I’m skilled in forgetting…I even forget the ending of crime stories or how a love story unfolded…so if I’m interested there is much potential for rewatches 😀

• I like that phrase, “skilled in forgetting”. I’m going to use that sometime. Thanks!

I usually remember broad outlines, but I’m terrible with remembering details, so I always see something new on a re-watch.

14. Tell me a joke, please, someone, and lighten my mood! I’ve just been through a long (two hours plus!) and exhausting email exchange where everyone was super polite, but super tense, because of having to be super polite, about an issue on which we turned out to have irreconcilable differences. Sigh.