How is this the first time I remembered to celebrate Sonu’s birthday? Oh well, to make up for it, I will do 30 songs, to match his birth date of July 30th.
1.I love you because you came from Harayana, son of a working performer, more of a hardscrabble backstory than most playback singers.
2. I love you because you weren’t an overnight success, came to Bombay at 18 and worked and waited to get noticed.
3. I love you because you sang at the inauguration of Harvard’s first female president, which is very cool and random.
4. And now, songs! The love song from Refugee, surprisingly catchy with a surprisingly good performance from Abhishek and Kareena in their first movie.
5. This is a movie, and a song, that has been almost entirely forgotten by everyone else, but I just love it. The song that is, I’ve never seen the movie, “Pehli Baar” from Jungle.
6. Both of those were kind of small love duets, but you can also do the big popular hero songs, like “Aisa Pehli Baar Hua” from Har Dil Jo Pyar Karoge.
7. Just to show you can go slow as well, how about “Khamoshiyan Gungane Lage” from One 2 Ka 4?
8. Okay, all of this are nice ones that I like but not super famous. Let’s do a super famous one, title song of Rehnaa Hai Tere Dil Main.
9. Another 2001 romance classic, “You Are My Soniya” from Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham.
10. Those were kind of pop hits, but he also managed the trickier Rahman-style songs. Like the title song from Saathiya.
11. So long as we are talking Viviek, let’s check out another one of those lessor know Sonu songs that Margaret loves, “Jeena” from Dum.
12. And another one, just a delightful song that everyone I have played it for has fallen in love with it as well. “Meri Zindagi Main Aaye Ho” from Armaan.
13. That’s been a whole lot of duets, because that’s what most Hindi film songs are. Let’s look at a rare solo, and a really good one. “Gumshuda” from Chalte Chalte.
14. I just did one that everyone would know, so forgive me for picking another obscure one just for me. “Sapney” from Ssssh, a completely unmemorable movie with a really great soundtrack!
15. Here’s one that was popular and all that, but I didn’t realize Sonu did it. It doesn’t have that “Sonu Nigam” song sound. Which is impressive, that he has that kind of range. “Piyu Bole” from Parineeta.
16. Another one without that “Sonu” sound, but just a beautiful song. “Dheere Jalna” from Paheli.
17. Okay, forgive me, I have to go back to the funky picks because I still have so many! Like, “I’m in Love” from Neal ‘n Nikki.
18. And “Sun Zara” from Lucky: No Time for Love.
19. Okay, one I love, which is distinctly peppier than the last few. “Jabse Mere Dil Ko Uff” from Teri Meri Kahaani.
20. And now, just for maximum emotional impact, I will wrench you from the heights to the lows with “Jeena Nahin” from 3 Idiots.
21. Keep us down low, my favorite song from Agneepath, “Abhi Mujhe”
22. So long as we are doing Hrithik songs, there is also this one, where Sonu manages to capture the same hesitancy in trying to understand what happiness is. “In Lamho” from Jodha-Akbar.
23. Okay, I’ll wake us up a little with something a bit faster. Proving that Sonu can do the Punjabi folk sound just as well as the smooth pop sound. “Nagada Nagada” from Jab We Met.
24. Although the classic smooth Sonu sound was pretty good. “Main Agar Kahoon” from Om Shanti Om.
25. Especially when combined with Shahrukh, in everything from “Main Hoon Na”
26. To “Kyon Hawa” from Veer-Zaara.
27. Not just Shahrukh, how many singers can say they also sang for Kunal Kapoor and Ranvir Shorey? “Ishq Hua” from Aaja Nachle.
28. Okay, final three! Really hard to pick, these three are all the most important songs. For me, for India, and for Sonu himself. I’ll start with me, because I am least important. This is possibly my all time favorite song from Hindi film. “Ajnabi Shehar” from Jaan-E-Mann.
29. And next, most important for Sonu. His first major break out hit, and an all time classic song, “Sandase Aate Hain”.
30. Finally, most important overall song. “Kal Ho Na Ho”.
Now, question, for you which are those 3 final songs? Most important Sonu song for you, for Sonu’s career, and just overall song?