As I said in my post last night, I find this whole thing a fascinating intersection of a whole variety of issues. So I am going to keep writing about it until you are all sick of hearing from me. Anyway, this post is just twitter updates.

As I said in the last post, the thing with Kangana is that she lies. And she lies to such an extreme degree that it feels like truth, like no one would possibly tell such a Big lie unless there was some truth to it.

And following the usual Kangana playbook, her sister Rangoli served as her spokesperson to hit back with “proof” of her claims.

If you read that, it is a scarily long detailed point by point message providing a confused explanation and defense of her actions. She has issued similar statements many times, seemingly clear and logical defenses of her actions, but when you read them through, you get lost in the internal logic of it and start to realize it is folding in on itself like a mobius strip. And this statement, with no context or support, is provided as “proof”, just as her statements have been provided as proof over and over in the past.

In a way, when she does things like this, it ends up being anti-proof. If the best she can provide is the text of an old message she wrote, that means she has nothing else, which means I am even less likely to believe her. It’s the same as when she provided the “photograph” of herself with Hrithik, which was not a very scandalous photograph to begin with, and then immediately shown to be from a party surrounded by other people including his wife. If the only proof she had to offer of a relationship that went all the way to an engagement, was a photo from a group party with his wife present, then that means she really doesn’t have any proof at all and is probably lying.

Image result for kangana hrithik

Also from Rangoli’s twitter, and this is not directly related I just thought it was interesting, an example of the twist on “feminist” that is what makes Kangana valuable to the BJP. It’s not about “women deserve rights” it’s about “India is better because we give our women more rights”. Which isn’t necessarily wrong, it is just different, and this particularly tweet expresses the idea well.

And then there is Krish’s response. Which relies on other people talking besides him. And he also focuses beyond himself. Or at the very least, is aware enough to present his argument as though it is not just about himself. And so when Krish is presenting his argument and these screenshots, he phrases it as for his whole team, for the young filmmakers who worked on the movie with hopes and dreams and found their work and their names erased.

And on the other hand, there is Prasoon Joshi. Who has spoken out in support of Kangana. Now, from my side of things, I am also very aware that Prasoon Joshi is the BJP picked head of the Censor Board. So if you follow the theory of the BJP in some unspoken unofficial way working to support and prop-up Kangana, this would be an example of how it functions. You don’t have to have a big conspiracy, you just have people that are a little biased towards each other and help each other out in these public situations for the good of the Party.

Oh, and for peace of mind (as usual), I didn’t bother reading all the replies to the twitter messages. I skimmed for a bit and then had to stop, both the Kangana side and the Krish side supporters were so, well, twitter-y that it made my brain hurt. Ending a statement “that is all” doesn’t actually mean you proved anything! But, I did find the trend I expected, the kind of south versus north thing. Here’s an example:

And that is your daily Manikarnika update! My goodness, I haven’t had a story I found this interesting in a long time. Since Sonam’s wedding I guess. Remember that? That was fun! I want another wedding or cheerful kind of controversy to happen. Oh! Malaika and Arjun Kapoor! Let them get married or announce Malaika is pregnant or something, that would be good.

Okay, now you can tell me what you think in the comments. Including if what you think is “stop talking about it already! Move on to other stories!”

21 thoughts on “More Manikarnika, Twitter Quotes (Sorry, I know Some Of You Are Probably Sick of This)

• Yeah, it’s funny that Kangana first brought up “nepotism” as this huge problem in the industry. But her behavior is far far beyond what any star kid could/has gotten away with, and yet she is still being protected in various ways.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 10:19 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• This is what I have been banging on about!!!! The nepotistic system started in the first place in defense against the much more powerful systems arrayed against the Hindi film industry, from the government to the mob. Yes, there is nepotism. Yes, Hrithik (for instance) has gotten loads of advantages thanks to his position as his father’s son. But HIS FATHER WAS SHOT BY THE MOB. There is a price to pay, and a reason that the “insiders” get advantages. It’s easy to see the wealth and easy life and all that, it’s harder to look back at the stuff they had to survive to get there. Alia Bhatt gets an advantage of working with Karan Johar, and her father was one of the few people from the film industry to publicly speak out against the BJP and campaign against them in 2014. Sara Ali Khan gets a prime launch, her father’s marriage was greeted by pamphleting and protests because he was publicly marrying a Hindu woman. I’m not saying it is fair or universal, but to simplify the way the families work in Hindi film to a simple “nepotism” is to miss a whole history of oppression.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 9:50 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. Kangana maybe having some delusional, narcissistic characteristics. But her sister seems to be worse.How I wish there had been someone to support Kangana & make her feel valued that she doesn’t have to play all these power games.The way Kangana’s sister uses all the controversies around her to perpetuate her own thoughts and ideas is also disturbing.

• I don’t understand the relationship between Kangana and her sister. It’s clearly not healthy, but beyond that, I am at a loss. Is one of them enabling the other? Or are they both just driving each other on to greater heights with no one there to force them to earth?

• I find it strange that for every controversy of Kangana,there are no direct responses/clarifications from Kangana after the initial set of accusations. All the second round counters come from her sister who uses very vile and maligning language that’s not generally used in public discourse.Kangana doesn’t have an official social media account but her sister’s function like hers but giving some space between Kangana and the world. Like she isn’t saying them directly but she is saying it-if that makes sense. I get a sense that her sister is enabling her. The ‘people’ that Kangana often uses when she wants to do something untoward maybe really just her sister. As someone else said,this would make for such a great soap opera.

• Way back with the Hrithik story, my assumption was that Kangana was the support and earner for Rangoli, that Rangoli had nothing else to fall back on and so had no choice but to force herself to believe in her sister and take care of her. Hrithik’s emails tell a story of him reaching out to Rangoli and asking her to get Kangana help, that he was worried about her, that he wanted to meet with Kangana and explain things to her, and Rangoli keeping him away. And this is when her emails to Hrithik more or less acknowledged that Kangana was delusional and going through a really hard time. I was thinking it was some kind of protection of Kangana’s delusions, maybe denial of mental health issues for family pride, perhaps some extra protection and closeness because they had such a hard life and no family support.

But since then I’ve run across things and realized that Kangana and Rangoli have had a very easy life and lots of support. It isn’t a situation of Rangoli having no other options, Kangana could quit working and take care of herself and they would be fine. It’s not like she is keeping Rangoli in some kind of economic hostage situation. So now I really don’t know what is happening. At a certain point, don’t you have to take a stand and force a person to get help?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:06 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I skimmed through the comments on all these Twitter posts – Leaving the “feminist”/”BJP” brigades supporting Kangana, I am appalled at many Telugu users belittling Krish (different from supporting Kangana), pulling in the NTR biopic disaster, personal things like his recent divorce after short marriage – Most of them were clearly motivated by caste and politics.

There are also quite a few Telugu articles I read which were questioning only Krish.

I could only imagine the unilateral support Krish would’ve got if he’s a Tamil director (say similar thing happens to Murugadoss or Gautam Menon).

• Fascinating comment! Can you explain a little more about the lack of unity in the Telugu industry/audience?

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 12:24 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. I read some Rangoli’s tweets and yes, this woman is as crazy as her sister. Kangana has some issues but her sister instead of calming and helping her, is only adding fuel to the fire.

In one of her messages Rangoli repeated the lie about Kangana making 70% of the movie, and I loved one guy’s answer, I can’t find it now, but it was something like this: Yeah, Krish was working 1,5 year, and did only 30% and Kangana managed to make the remaining 70 % in few weeks?

I’m seeing all this drama as some kind of malayalam movie. All those stories Kanagana said about her family being contrary of her career etc, If it would be a movie we would discover in the end, that they wasn’t against her working, but they knew from the begining she’s crazy and wanted to protect her (and the world)

• Well, we already know her family wasn’t against her working. I didn’t know that, but about 4-5 months ago someone posted a wonderful link here to a post that went through all of her lies, and that was one of them. Her family was very wealthy and powerful in their area (yes, their kids didn’t go to English schools, but they went to very good schools and she comes from an old landed family with government connections), paid for her acting school in Delhi, and only after that when she came to Bombay did they cut off support. Maybe. Now that I think about it, we only know about Kangana’s “struggles” in Bombay from her. And we know that her family was rich and paid for acting school in Delhi, so I don’t know if I believe they cut her off when she came to Bombay? Especially since they are so much a part of her life now, not just Rangoli but the whole family.

What was odd was in Hrithik’s story (supported by emails) some of Rangoli’s early reactions were more like a caretaker. When Kangana came to his hotel room and wouldn’t leave, he had someone find Rangoli and take her away, and the next day Rangoli came to him and asked him not to say anything to anyone about it. When the catfish thing first came out, Rangoli sent an email saying Kangana was very upset and didn’t want to see him. Maybe that is how she is in private, trying to protect Kangana and stop her from doing things, but in public she only shows the enabler side?

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 3:47 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. I only came to Indian cinema a few years ago. I thought of it as “Bollywood” then, and enjoyed Kangana in films like Rangoon and that one where her fiance deserts her at the altar and she goes on her honeymoon to Paris alone. Then the stories started, Hrithik and what’all. They so turned me off to her that I was barely able to watch Tanu/Manu however much I love Madhavan . Now I stay away from all her films. But, and this is weird, I can’t stay away from the gossip. It’s like rubbernecking an accident on the thruway. You don’t want to look but you can’t help it.

• I’m so glad to hear that! I feel the same way about not being able to look away from this story, and it had lead to me doing way way too many posts in a short amount of time. I’m glad I’m not the only one so fascinated by all of this.

I vaguely knew about Kangana since her first film, but I think Queen was the first movie I actually saw her in, and I also was very excited about her after that. But after the Hrithik story, it got harder and harder to separate her personality from what I was seeing on screen.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 9:08 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote: