Karan Johar Battle of the Champions: Bangle Scene Versus Gazebo Scene

This is it! The greatest question of our time! The debate we have all be training for! Which of Karan’s two greatest scenes, is better?

Bangle Scene

Gazebo Scene

I’m putting in my vote for Gazebo Scene! It’s a culmination of a decade of unfulfilled desire, it’s got more physical contact, and it’s RAINING.

15 thoughts on “Karan Johar Battle of the Champions: Bangle Scene Versus Gazebo Scene

1. Definitely gazebo. The bangle scene is all I don’t know if I want to. The gazebo scene is I want to but I don’t know if I should. It’s full complicity on both sides.

TBH the bangle scene never really got me, maybe because it starts with him telling her to shush. My favorite SRK-Kajol scene in K3G is when he’s telling her he can’t go back because his father broke his orphan heart by taking him in and then disowning him. Not a romantic scene, but you see their closeness and how Kajol has become his only home and refuge.

• I would say the gazebo scene is more “I want to but I didn’t know what I wanted”. Still complicity on both sides, still different from the Bangles scene, but there is an element of seduction there.

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:58 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. This is the question of our time! I was full bangle, never a better moment than when he pushes them on her wrist, yikes. Plus the ‘I’m going to take over your sweetshop’ double yikes. Then I was working on a project today and needed an iconic Bollywood image and came across one of the gazebo scene. Even my biz partner who isn’t really into the movies (she’s doing my legal work) gasped when she saw it. Just the look on his face as he holds the pallu – and hilariously it was a DCIB posted image!

Personally I say bangle scene. From iconic moment perspective, gazebo!

• I was counting on you to be my bangle scene defender! Thank goodness you stepped up, someone has to appreciate it.

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 12:05 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. The bangle scene is marred by his twisting her arm behind her back. Also, the gazebo scene is sexier, the running of fingers down her arm, their fingers entwining… Gazebo wins.

• The gazebo scene is so light in the physical, that was what I noticed the very first time I watched it when I knew almost nothing. They are fully clothed, they don’t even kiss, and yet it is soooooooooooo sexy.

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 12:58 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. I have zero reasoning, because everyone has good points about the bangle scene, from shushing her to twisting her arm (literally!) to the utterly ridiculous song sequence that follows…but bangle scene!

It might just be because I identify more with it (being clueless until someone has to literally sit me down and tell me what’s up), or because K3G is _the_ movie for me, or just the hilarious chemistry between SRK and Kajol with her cracking terrible jokes and him not standing for it. Also, the Bangles scene vaguely puts me in mind of Cinderella where putting on the shoe = stepping into a new life. Plus, anything and everything to do with putting on or removing pieces of clothing (earrings, etc.), which is super personal, signals a high degree of intimacy.

The Gazebo scene…hm. I first saw it when I didn’t really “get” chemistry, so the whole scene still seems somewhat bizarre, but I acknowledge that it’s more iconic. It has the dance, the eye contact, almost everything. Kajol’s ridiculously over-the-top expressions throw it off for me though, as does the weird running away. You’re 29 years old, woman!

So…technically, the gazebo. Personally? Bangles.

• I both do and do not want to see the Gazebo scene through your eyes! I do, because I think just seeing Kajol’s expressions without feeling what she is feeling, would be hilarious. But I don’t, because I am afraid I would never be able to go back to seeing it the “good” way.

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 7:51 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Just thinking about the bangle scene has me squirming, so definitely bangle scene for me. Although, I suspect for a vast majority of the world, it might be the gazebo scene because everyone remembers the gazebo scene. There is instant recall with it. I am not sure if the same population would have instant recall of the bangle scene.

• Well they certainly should have instant recall with the bangles! So far as I am concerned, they are equally memorable.

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:12 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. The gazebo scene is the winner for me. The bangle scene had this quality of him dominating her, which is fine in some cases, but it felt so possessive and almost not consensual that it puts me off. Whereas the gazebo scene is 100% consent and 100% pure romance.

• You are the second person to mention that! Now I am thinking that the minority who likes the bangle scene are just slightly more okay with dominating SRK.

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 4:31 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m fine with dominating SRK, the problem is that Kajol doesn’t seem to be until literally the last second when he kisses her cheek. I watched it again to refresh my memory, and him grabbing her and telling her to shush doesn’t sit well with me, and I know other people mentioned that in the comments. SRK’s scorching dialogue delivery improves the scene, and I know this kind of forceful behavior is common, but it never sits well with me, no matter when the film was made.

• Now I am watching it again in my head. And yes, she seems confused and surprised, not excited. Still works for me and other people, I think because she certainly isn’t afraid of him, or pulling away, or even in pain. But she isn’t enthusiastic.

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 6:11 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: