Happy Monday!  I spent the weekend in bed, but then there was a lot of rain last night, and now the world is much less sickness inducing hot and heavy.  So I am ready to think and be smart and original and stuff again!

This is the post where you get to ask me anything you want, from what the weather is like, to what I think of the new movie announcements, to what I’ve been watching.  Just keep swinging back here all week every time you think of a new question you want to ask.

Now, question for you! It’s Naseerji’s birthday, what are your feelings about him?  Like, hate, neutral, don’t know who he is?

Naseeruddin Shah filmography - Wikipedia

For myself, I like him.  With an awareness that his fuddy duddy nice average guy onscreen persona in recent years is just that, a persona.  In real life, I believe he is a bit outspoken and strong in his feelings about art and film, can sometimes cause offense, but still hardworking and honest and faithful to his beliefs.

35 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions: What Do You Want to Ask Me on Naseeruddin Shah’s Birthday?

1. A brilliant actor,perhaps a polarizing person.But he has an uncanny ability to play dark characters.He can make you uncomfortable when he is portraying a negative role,despite having such a slight build.
    Have you watched Mandi(1983)?It has many of the wonderful actresses of parallel cinema you love-Shabana,Smita,Ratna Pathak,Neena,Bela Bose,Illa Arun and a number of male parallel cinema actors-Naseeruddin,Kulbhushan Kharbanda,Saeed Jaffrey,Om puri and many others.Barring the songs,literally everything is delicious in that movie.(The songs are not bad,just not very memorable as the movie does not try to portray the “tehzeeb” and “nazaakat” of the bygone era.It is pretty straightforward about portraying the life of women.)

• I haven’t seen that, i need to watch more of those 80s parallel classics.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020, 8:11 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I think it’s common knowledge I don’t like him. He plays characters that are unpleasant or evil in an everyday kind of way well, but nothing else. On top of that, he just looks like he’s bored when he is doing Serious For Real Acting Not Like These Other People.

• I felt that way a little bit about him, and then I saw him in Asambhav. So fun! So stupid! No ego at all about playing a ridiculous villain in a ridiculous film.

Also, you must see Rajkumar.

3. Jaane Bhi De Yaaro I feel is the best work of his. Have you watched it?

Why do we like BBC shows set in villages so much? Watching Doc Martin right and hence the question.

• Yaaaaaay! And Katrina is wearing our preferred non-gender normative kind of clothes to announce it!

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 4:40 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yeah, this is something I’m looking forward to! The Deepika-Prabhas thing just left me meh! Is Prabhas only going to do action movies now? I feel a smarter strategy would have been to do completely different genres post Bahubali, as nothing will match up to that. I’m more interested in Deepika’s film with Shakun Batra, I hope that is made and released first. And I realized I’m actually interested in all the upcoming Siddhant C movies – the Katrina one, the Deepika one and Bunty Babli 2. Good choices!

I haven’t opened your Breathe reviews, so do I need to watch season 1 or can I get straight into season 2?

4. Okay, what is with this new Netflix show Indian Matchmaking that everyone keeps talking about? My sister just had a long drive with her fiance so she watched it during the drive (she was not the one driving) and told me I have to watch it because it is “UTTERLY horrible but addicting in a train wreak kind of way.” Here are some quotes from the first 2 minutes of the show:

“He got lots of very good proposals but there is always a problem, sometimes it is e-doo-cation, sometimes age, sometimes height”

From the boy’s mother: “I am not even looking for anyone under 5’3″. Oh and the girl has to be flexible. It will make it easier on me”

“I want slim, tall, and beautiful, but with a good nature”

15 minutes or so in.
    From the Matchmaker about 15 minutes in: “Nadia is beautiful, she has very good family values and is very good natured, but but she is Guyanese. It will be difficult for me to match a her with a traditional Indian boy”

Daughter’s mother talking about what she told her 3-4 year old daughters: “First time I told them when we landed in New York was, don’t ever let me down and don’t let me look bad in front of our society and community. Don’t ever do that to me. I don’t ever want to see a B on the report card. I don’t want two degrees, I three. Nothing less than three degrees”

HOLY @%#&$(&)$!!!

I love my sister, but if I continue watching this show I am going to become unintentionally bulimic from the amount of times I keep gagging! Ew. Ew. Ew.

• Yes! This is what i was afraid of! The kind of people who would hire an expensive desi matchmaker just do not seem like the kind of people i want to spend time with. There’s a reason Made in Heaven centered on the outsiders, not the rich people.

And when did height become the big thing for brides? How did i miss that memo? Such a weird addition to the skin color and education list.

Also, i know that quote means “flexible” in a mental way, but combined with height, i keep thinking they are trying to build a family circus.

• They are trying to build a family circus! Also, my sister wanted me to clarify that she was watching it with her best friends from college as part of a Netflix watch party (only one is desi but they are all hindi film afficiandos) and they were making fun of it the whole time. She wants me to reiterate to you that the show is horrible. But her fiance happened to be watching this show with her and was completely blown away and shocked that this could ever even happen in real life, and she had to explain that unfortunately, yes it does.

• I assumed! It would have to be a group hatewatch thing.

Also, im still stuck on the height. When buying a daughter in law, wouldn’t you want to go for something classic that will wear well for years, not a flash in the pan fashion? 20 years from now height will be out and you will be stuck with this dated looking Bahu. I’d stick with medical degree, classical singing, can cook, and pale. Let the rest go.

So your sister isn’t too embarrassed, my last Netflix party, we watched Tiger’s Baaghi. Possibly even less high quality.

• Thank you for making her feel better. She said she appreciates it. Also, yes, when did height become a thing?! a quote from the show “If the boy is 6 foot, they atleast want a girl that is 5’5.” How is this a thing?! Have they not been watching Amitabh and Jaya?! Being “fair” comes up a couple of times in the first episode but I have a feeling in reality it came up more and had to be edited out.

• Yes! Amitabh and Jaya should be our couple ideal! Plus, if you are American, you can go as Lincoln and Mary Todd for Halloween.

• OK I will confess to getting sucked in by this show, and you know I am usually allergic to rich people problems and only moderately interested in weddings. The structure of it is sneaky, it’s not one match per episode like Made in Heaven, they spread the stories over multiple episodes and introduce new characters as they go, so there are cliffhangers that are resolved immediately if you go on to the next episode. Some of the people are spoiled brats and unsympathetic, but she manages to work on them a bit over time so they become a tiny bit self aware and less unbearable. There are more sympathetic characters too, middle class (in the US sense) singles who feel familiar. And then they show her going to a face reader and families consulting astrologists so you get the fate part but also the satisfaction of seeing if their prediction was right. I decided to try an episode because I wanted something light and accidentally watched four before I made myself turn it off and go to bed.

• Sneaky! Oh, that is just wrong, stringing the stories out like that to suck you in. Thanks for the warning, now I will only start it when I am ready to binge. Perhaps good post surgery pain pills watching?

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I dated an Indian guy last year who dumped his previous girlfriend for being too short so it is totally a thing. At the time I laughed at it but I’m pretty sure he was serious.

• So the Indian male taste continues to be exactly me. Tall, pale, long hair, “homely”. I should go to India and have a Swayamvar and let them all fight it out over me.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 1:11 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• But I wouldn’t want anyone who was looking for a tall pale homely girl with long hair! What I need is some kind of cash grab scam out of it.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 7:22 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes! You be the agent, I be the saintly innocent prospective bride, but secretly we are Lesbian lovers.

Wait, is this the plot of Dedh Ishqiya?

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 8:38 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• looool I don’t know, was it? If it has secret lesbians, I must see it despite the Naseeruddin Shah. A marriage scam business is a good bet though because you know our relationship will crack under the pressure, and then you are going to be blackmailed by someone who sees through the scam and then I will fall in love with the blackmailer, and then you will fall in love with one of the marks.

• Yes, this is Dedh Ishkiya! Oh, and it’s totally a secret lesbians movie, you should watch it.

• Wow! I love the turn this comment thread took! I am all in on this secret lesbain marriage scam alliance!

• I’m thinking, some kind of entrance fee? With the promise that if they “win”, they will get my enormous dowry. And then we can do scams on scams, have one of you offer to take even more money from the suckers because you have my ear and will steer me towards one or the other of them. And of course the end is us escaping out the window before the Suhaag Raat and laughing over all the cash we took from the idiots. Maybe we give some money back to the Pure of Heart, but the majority who were just out for a rich white American bride will lose everything.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 12:40 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. I know you have your toe surgery on Friday and recovery ahead, but since Dil Bechara comes out on Friday, I still wanted to ask if you plan on ever watching it/reviewing it, given all the Sadness surrounding it?

• I think probably not. There’s a lot of sadness on and off screen in the movie, so I think I will be kind to myself.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 3:08 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: