If you like Indian films, you will like this movie! It’s magical, it’s heartwarming, it has romance, and massive song and dance numbers! And, DOLLY PARTON!!!! Also, I really really REALLY need people to talk about it with.

I thought this was just another sappy Netflix original Christmas movie. But NO! It’s a full on musical. Dance numbers, big song numbers, 14 original songs all written by Dolly Parton. Also, Christine Baranski playing a super super evil scenery chomping Scrooge. And there is a 1970s flashback dance number.

Really, Watch This!!!!

And then come back here and talk to me about it! Because I must share!!!

23 thoughts on “ALERT ALERT ALERT! Christmas Movie For All Musical Fans!!!! Christmas on the Square!!!!

1. I watched it.

First, let me say that I’m probably the only person who didn’t like Les Miz, and I walked out of Hamilton. I love opera and musical theater, but I’m turned off by all-singing-all-the-time films. And although I can get teary when Madama Butterfly kills herself for love, I’m not particularly sentimental.

As soon as I saw how Christmas on the Square was going to be, the only thing that kept me at it was my respect for your intelligence and judgment. And yes, the acting was super, the dialog was clever, and the song lyrics relevant (unlike some of the lyrics in Indian movie songs). But for me, they weren’t at all catchy (again unlike the tunes in Indian movies which are). The story, a clone of Dickens, had modern touches that were predictable. There were a few twists, like Baranski’s baby, but on the whole no tension, not necessarily warranted in a Christmas story anyway. But my harshest criticism is that it was okay but I didn’t have fun. You obviously did and that’s what make the world go round.

• I did have fun! I should have made my headline “Do you like Musical theater?” not just “Musicals”. This is definitely in the realm of musical stage theater, which is a whole different thing than musical films.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 5:51 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I watched this because of Dolly Parton and because it was directed and choreographed by Debbie Allen. The dancing is fabulous! The singing in harmony is so good. The plot and the whole angel thing was all too much for me but it’s lovely for the holiday special fans.

3. There is a LOT to make fun of in that opening song scene. A lot. And the super swishy gay back-up dancers in the hair salon were, offensive. BUT fabulous variety of body types and ages. I may watch it, later this weekend when I’m allowed to drink again. Or maybe, maybe I’ll actually organize a watch along with my two friends who might enjoy destroying it with me, or maybe we’ll love it, obvious plastic surgery beggar Dolly Parton and all. If I do organize a watch a long with my friends, it will be the FIRST thing I’ve organized since March. Also, I predict, that once COVID is under control, our local theater group will put it on.

• It will absolutely be put on by local theater groups for years and years to come!

I don’t know, but I suspect the variety of body types is because they were casting for singing. Everyone had an amazing voice, especially the lead roles. That felt like it was more important than appearance to the casting.

And yes, organize a watch-a-long!!!! It is this strange mixture of camp and sincere and musical theater that is just begging for commentary.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 10:04 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Sunday after dinner, my musical theater friend and acerbic comments friend will watch this together, commenting through messenger. LOOK I organized something!!

• Yes, the swishy dancers were offensive but kudos for casting a plus sized actress as the minister’s wife. But Dolly…I’m a big fan, but she’s become a characature of herself. At what point do you stop with the knife? And did you catch Goldie Hawn in the latest Netflix Santa movie? She looks embalmed. I used to think it would be a hoot to sit down and dish with Cher, but now I thik I’d be scared.

• I didn’t mind the swishy dancers, because the way they were used in other scenes, I saw them as a couple. So the film wanted us to see “oh look, those two men are Queer and a couple” and maybe pushed it a little hard.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 7:55 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• When I first saw the couple singing about fertility treatments I cracked up, one because the plus size actress LOOKS like a fertility goddess. But then after I thought about it, I thought my laughter was unease, and though I know many people who have had fertility treatments, it isn’t something people talk about, or sing about. Just like we don’t talk about miscarriages, or other realities. And then I thought singing about fertility treatments, especially with a woman who looks like a fertility goddess, was brilliant.

I wonder if like tattoos, plastic surgery becomes addictive. “I can change this and this and this! I can always make myself better!” I cut my hair today, and it became hard to stop. I wanted it to be shoulder length but I ended up with a bob. I guess I better stay away from the plastic surgery, and tattoos.

• Yes! I had the same brought up short moment with that. But, why? We are having a song about hopes and dreams and stuff, this is a hope and dream. It also kind of resolves in an interesting way, without fully resolving. Like, the resolution is just to decide “we really want kids and we are going to keep going after that” and that is enough of an ending. Very different!

I am sure plastic surgery becomes addictive! At the very least, it must start altering how you see yourself, right? I think about that with, like, getting our hair cut. People didn’t used to get it cut. But somehow now we do, and now you look at yourself in the mirror and go “ugh, I look so icky with my hair all untrimmed”. It must be the same once you get used to using Botox, “ugh, wrinkles! that’s not normal!”

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 8:28 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It was resolved with magical Dolly angel dust. She sent sparkles to the lady’s tummy. That was one of my eye roll moments because I agree it’s good to see this struggle portrayed onscreen, and also the anguish of it is not knowing if anything will ever work and if you will get to bear a child. This is why I shouldn’t be allowed to watch Christmas specials, I can’t with the wave your fingers and everything is alright again.

• You really shouldn’t watch Christmas specials. Except maybe “It’s a Wonderful Life”? Because that one is DARK!!!!

That’s what bothers my Dad about it. The end is supposed to be “happy”, but the evil banker is never caught for his massive theft, just gets away with it. And the drunk uncle is still around and still drunk. Nothing is really “fixed”. They are all just pretending it is fixed and being happy because it is the holidays.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 10:14 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. The schmaltz was high in this one but it still made me choke up a bit. The whole thing seemed like a Thomas Kincaid painting brought to life. And, as always, Dolly’s music did not disappoint.
    As far as Dolly’s looks – she is 74 years old. I’m 71 and I can honestly say that, next to Dolly and her multiple plastic surgeries, I look like crap.

• Thank you! Someone with schmaltz tolerance! I love that it was super old-fashioned and sentimental, without being judgey. Or I guess, old-fashioned and progressive at the same time. Old-fashioned heartwarming values, but progressive acceptance of everyone around them.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 7:01 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. I watched it because you recommended it and I really wish I had seen it as a live performance instead of on TV. I just think I would have liked it so much better live. Something about watching it on TV didn’t appeal to me. Maybe it was just that the songs were poignant but just not catchy to me. But I liked that it discussed teen pregnancy, infertility, little girl losing her mother due to evil landlord. And Dolly and the other angel in training are adorable. Plus I really like Christin Baranski and Jenifer Lewis (I love her in Blackish so much). I will definitely watch it again if a local theater group puts it on!

• Why does no one love this movie as much as I did???? Did you at least enjoy how much everyone onscreen was enjoying themselves? And Christine Baranski eating the scenery?

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 8:13 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote: