Bahubali 2 Scene By Scene Part 19: Oh Kattappa!

Happy second to last “sad part”.  Thank goodness I got to take a break in the middle for our weekly TGIF post.  Otherwise this would have been much too hard to get through. (Last part of the scene by scene is here, you can crawl back through the archives from there).  I’m going to try to put up the final “sad part” later this evening, and then you can all talk about it all weekend.

Previously in Bahubaliland, TERRIBLE THINGS HAPPENED!!!!  Prabhas and Anushka were banished, but that wasn’t enough, Rana and his father still feared Prabhas.  So they set an elaborate trap, tricking Subbaraju into an assassination attempt, then killing him and using this as evidence to Ramya that Prabhas is planning a revolt.  As a final attempt to stave off civil war, Ramya orders Kattappa to kill Prabhas.  But plans to do it in such a way that it will look like the Kalakeya’s did it.  And the Prabhas 1 dies, and it is super super sad, especially because as he is fighting for his life, Anushka is giving birth to Prabhas 2, the baby he will never see.  And also sad because Kattappa, his beloved foster-father, is the one who stabs him in the back.

 

Before moving on, NOTE FOR NEW READERS WHO WONDER WHY I SAY “KATTAPPA” INSTEAD OF “SATHAYAJ”: I’ve been writing this blog for a year and a half now, and my “house style” is to use the actors’ names instead of characters, just like the New York Times‘ “house style” is to always use “Title Last Name”.  I know most of my regular readers have gotten used to this, and but I feel bad that it is confusing to new readers who haven’t seen my writing before, so I wanted to explain.  I have 3 reasons for this method:

1. Most of the time, Indian actors are more playing variations on their regular characters than actually disappearing into a part (Shahrukh is almost always Shahrukh, Madhuri is Madhuri, etc.), and so using their regular name makes as much sense as using a character name.

2. For regular fans of these movies, they are more likely to recognize characters by the names of the actors playing them than by their names in the script (can you imagine trying to follow the plot of K3G if someone used “Rahul” “Rohan” “Yash” instead of “Shahrukh” “Hrithik” “Amitabh”?)

3. For people new to the films, these names and the faces they are attached to are really important to learn!  If I can help with my reviews to train you as to who is who, then that’s great.

The exception to this is if an actor is so amazingly phenomenal at their job, and a character is so incredibly vivid and perfect, that I just have to use the character name.  This is a huge huge compliment, from me to the filmmakers and actor and everyone involved in crafting this character.  And in Bahubali 1 and 2, while all the characters were amazingly vivid and all the actors were remarkable, Sathyaraj and his Kattappa were a cut above.  Oh, and for the rest of the actors, reason 3 is really really strong in this case.  B2 has such a massive international reach, and I want to make sure that Prabhas and Anushka and Ramya and everyone else benefits with increased name recognition as much as possible, because they deserve it.

 

Okay, now the real review.

And it feels not just sad, but scary and, again, “wrong” when Prabhas’ death is blasphemed by the presence of Rana.  He arrives as a dark shadow, against the light of the fires Prabhas started in his final fight.  And Kattappa steps back and Rana doesn’t even see him, focusing on the body of Prabhas.

Just like we are mourning both Prabhas the person and Prabhas the king, Rana is glorying in his defeat of both.  I don’t remember the details of his monologue, but I know he glories in it, in how Prabhas is finally defeated and no longer a threat to him in any way.  This is also the beginning of Rana-The Madman.  Or is it the reveal of Rana-The Madman?  Has he been mad all along?

I think maybe he has.  Way back in B1, there was a little bit of bitterness in his face when Prabhas 1 twitted him in their introduction scene, saying “you are a great warrior, when I am king, you can lead my armies”.  But it was quickly hidden and no one seemed to notice.  Even the audience could have forgotten about it, as we saw all those exciting scenes that followed with Prabhas and Rana working as a team to defend their kingdom.  Until, suddenly, Prabhas has leaped off a cliff, with faith that Rana will hold him up.  And Rana, after a moment of hesitation, begins to cut the rope.

(There’s a lot of reasons they included this song sequence, but at least one of them was so that we would forget about Rana’s hatred and then be surprised when it popped back up again)

This was not sane behavior.  Not even sane in the “I really really want to be king” kind of way.  If he just wanted to be king, he wouldn’t be ashamed of what he was doing, he wouldn’t be conflicted.  He would just do it.  But we have that moment of hate earlier, the friendly conversations just before, and now the kind of feverish eagerness in this moment.  Quickly hidden when Kattappa and other guards came riding up.  Another reason that we know there is a problem inside of him, that he knows there is a problem inside of him.

Rana, and Rajamouli, worked together to parcel it out in tiny tiny pieces.  We had that moment of hatred when he looked at Prabhas in their intro scene, and then it went away in their fun buddy adventure.  Another moment when he almost killed him, and then the battle planning where they worked together, and the battle itself where they were on the same side.  Until the end when, once again, Rana let his hand show a little, killing the Kalakaya leader from behind.

To us, the audience, those moments in B1 seemed like the purest melodrama.  We knew he was evil, because we had seen him in the present day when he is SO evil!  But now, in B2, we get to spend more time with him, and see how those little moments were all he allowed himself, that he was to be feared not when he was running mad, but when he was under control.  And no one saw that, no one saw that his control must be fierce to hide so much madness.  And the madness must be enormous to require so much control.  No, they just saw the surface, where the control and the madness kind of balanced each other out and ended up with this guy who seems nice enough, handsome, good fighter, but not really anyone you would think twice about.

(Which is also how I kind of felt about Rana the actor until this film.  Handsome, okay in a song, broke Bipasha Basu’s heart, but otherwise nothing special.  And then the same scene when Kattappa is going “do I even know this man?” is when I am saying the same thing about his acting.  Except not so much, because I have seen The Ghazi Attack, and he was great in that too)

That is what Kattappa finally sees in this scene.  That he has been working for a madman, trusting a madman not to be mad, and in so doing he has helped to turn the whole world mad.  To make the sun rise in the West (or set in the East?  whichever it is).

Up until this moment, if you don’t know that Rana is mad and bad like the audience does, then this whole “kill Prabhas” plot, and all the rest of the terrible things that happened, could seem kind of disconnected, not part of an over-arching scheme.  Rana and Prabhas fell in love with the same girl, coincidence.  That girl spoke back to the Queen mother and got Prabhas to lose the throne, bad luck combined with Nassar being nasty.  Rana took away Prabhas’ position and gave it to a bully, that was petty and misguided but not really evil.  That bully molested women and Anushka chopped off his fingers, more bad luck, and Rana was trying to sit in judgement as best he could when Prabhas interrupted.  Prabhas is banished by Ramya, nothing to do with Rana, just the two of them losing their tempers.  Prabhas’ good friend tries to kill Rana, entering through a passage known only to the royal family.  Seems crazy, but unless Rana is lying, and there is some elaborate set-up, Prabhas must be involved in some way.  Maybe it would be better to let Prabhas explain, to investigate, but Ramya’s decision to execute him before the matter gets worse is understandable, and while Kattappa and Ramya may be personally heartbroken over it, the kingdom will be okay, Rana is a reasonably good ruler, and anything is better than civil war.

From the audience side of things, we know it has been Rana all along.  That nothing has been a coincidence or bad luck or mistakes in judgement, it was all planned to this end.  And more than that, doing all this to avoid civil war and keep Rana on the throne is actually the worst possible result.  Let civil war happen!  Get Rana off the throne!  We know that Rana is crazed and unbalanced and will destroy the kingdom.  We saw in B1 that he did destroy the kingdom, and we have seen in B2 all the little hints that he is on that path, that if the people won’t love him he will try to force them to love him.  But until this moment, Kattappa had no idea.

 

Oh, and also, the whole visual of Rana monologueing and chopping at Prabhas’ body with an axe while the blood flies about, is very disturbing!  And the one moment that felt slightly wrong to see in a theater filled with small children.  Heck, it felt slightly wrong to see in a theater filled with Me!  Very graphic.

And then Kattappa goes back and confronts Ramya with what she has done.  Both of them play this scene so well.  Kattappa has such a “nothing to lose” attitude.  I think it is both because he has just killed the only person he ever let himself love, and because he has just learned that the faithful service which he held as his highest ideal has mislead him.  One or the other, he could have continued on with, but to have both hit him at once is a disaster.

I don’t remember the dialogue for this scene (too sad!!!!), but I do remember the acting moments, because they are so memorable.  And that’s a brilliant decision on the part of the filmmakers.  This whole movie has been about complex ideas presented in simple ways.  Law versus Justice, what makes a leader, all of these Big Big thoughts, but shown in a way that a 5 year old could easily explain what is happening and why.  And so, in this confrontation scene, it’s not about what Kattappa says as much as it is about him simply smearing the blood from his hand onto Ramya’s.  The talky-talky explains why, he tells her Rana was part of the set-up, meaning everything they thought was wrong, and they have committed true murder.  But really, all you need to understand is that Kattappa feels like there is blood on his hands, and he feels like Ramya should have a part of that blood guilt as well.

Ramya’s shock is fine, okay, good acting.  But it is the moment after the shock that is just phenomenal.  The when she carresses Prabhas’ head.  Only, his head isn’t there.  But Ramya is miming so perfectly the attitude of a mother touching her sleeping child’s head, that we don’t need words or visuals to explain it more, we know exactly what she is feeling.

It’s not just guilt, it’s this sudden rush of all the feelings she has been denying herself since the confrontation with Anushka.  Really, since she said farewell and sent him off on his tour of the kingdom.  That was the last moment she gave in to the deep deep pangs of motherhood.  With Rana, it was never like that.  I just recently re-watched the introduction scene of both sons in B1, and when she watches Prabhas 1 do his sword tricks in the palace, she smiles at him, not just with approval, but with love and motherly pride.  But when Rana does his trick with the mace, she just sort of has a managerial approval, like she is glad he is so talented because it will make him good at his job for Mahishmati, but she has no personal opinion.

When Prabhas criticized her judgement for the first time, confronted her in public to save Anushka, Ramya had this rush of emotions, and it was all too fast and too power for her to clearly see which were emotions of motherhood, and which were emotions of a leader.  And I think what Rana and Nassar were counting on, and what they managed to do, was to make her confuse the two.  The instinct which made her want to forgive Prabhas, to trust him, that was the instinct of a leader who knows he has always been obedient and thinking of others before himself and she should hear him out.  The instinct which made her furious and insulted, that was a mother’s instinct.  And she mixed up the too, thinking she should give in to the anger, much though it hurt her, because it was the “right” thing to do.

And on the other hand, when she made Rana king, she saw that as being smart for the kingdom, being wise.  Because it wasn’t a decision her heart wanted.  Only, she forgot that this was a 3rd part of her, the guilt part of her, the motherly guilt not ruler’s guilt.  Nassar has been using this against her for years, trying to convince her that as a mother, she should always put her son’s feelings above all else.  And she feels bad, because Nassar isn’t wrong, she does have a preference for Prabhas.  But what she isn’t sure of, is if that preference as a mother is affecting her judgement as a ruler.  And so she over-corrects, swinging towards Rana both because she feels bad as his mother for ignoring him, and because she feels like her judgement was wrong in Prabhas because of her motherly feelings towards him.  And so, the natural forgiveness and love that always come from a mother after that initial anger, the hug after the punishment, that is what she has been resisting.  That is why the coronation came so close on the heels over her decision, there was no time to regret it.  And by the time she did, Rana was king and Prabhas was clearly a danger to the throne, and she had to keep ignoring her motherly desires for the sake of the kingdom.

Prabhas knows all this too.  At least, he knows her as his mother.  He keeps expecting her to react as a mother.  He smiles and calls her “Amma”.  He tells Anushka that as soon as they have a baby, it will all be okay.  But Prabhas has been fooled too.  Like Kattappa, like Ramya, he has underestimated Rana’s hatred.  If Rana weren’t there, whispering in her ear, if all these terrible things really were just bad luck and coincidence, then he would be right.  Ramya would understand her son and love him and forgive him.  Because that is her natural path.  But her natural path has been obstructed.

Let’s go back to that dam-waterfall image.  Ramya’s love for Prabhas 1 is like a river, powerful and natural and will always find it’s way back to it’s path.  Prabhas is counting on her to find that way back and love him again, because he knows it is her destiny.  But what he doesn’t know is that Nassar and Rana have been slowly building up a dam, brick by brick, bringing that love down to a trickle while he is in Kuntala (Rana acting all sweet and loving and making Ramya feel guilty for ignoring him), and finally cutting it off completely when Prabhas is there in front of her.  And they keep building up and reinforcing their dam, every time Ramya’s love starts to seep through a little, sadness or guilt or doubt, Nassar is there to turn it aside.  Until, finally, she is so blocked off and so out of touch with her feelings, that she can allow herself to make the ultimate decision, to kill her own child.


(And then Prabhas 2 rejects the waterfall of motherly love by climbing up it to find the non-romantic love of Tamannah!  Or maybe my metaphor has stopped working)

Until now, with Kattappa’s revelation, suddenly the dam breaks, just like the Kuntala dam broke, and her feelings come rushing out so powerful that they sweep away her sanity.

Advertisements

23 thoughts on “Bahubali 2 Scene By Scene Part 19: Oh Kattappa!

  1. Pingback: Bahubali 2 Scene By Scene Part 20: The Last Sad Bit! Chekhov’s Bow is Fired – dontcallitbollywood

  2. Ugh, too sad to have many comments so I will stick them together in this post:
    – I think Rana’s desecration is definitely to highlight his madness, but I feel like it’s also for the audience! Because let’s be honest, who wasn’t hoping that there was going to be some loophole, that Prabhas 1 hadn’t magically survived somehow? (That said, there is no way that would have worked with his character. I could have seen Prabhas 1 going into open rebellion to seize the throne against Ramya and Rana before I would believe him sitting around doing nothing for 25 years while Anushka and Mahishmati were in Rana’s control.) but for people who were still hopeful? Nope, here comes Rana, just to prove that he’s 100% dead, so we can start processing (because we get a lot of time. The aftermath goes on for a while.)

    – The interesting thing about Kattappa’s confrontation with Ramya is that he calls her by name for the first time ever. And here, I think, is that scene we wanted, where Kattappa breaks free of his slave mindset – I don’t agree that Ramya bequeathes Prabhas 2 along with Mahishmati, I feel like that’s Kattappa’s choice to enter back into the covenant for this young innocent child untouched by the ugliness that’s gone on before. (And that’s why Kattappa going on to be loyal to Rana and Nasser is so frustrating to me- you broke free once! You can do it again!)

    – But then that lullaby about everyone who was supposed to love Prabhas and instead led to his death plays! (I’m wondering if there is some connection to Anushka’s earlier happier lullaby, too? Because Anushka is the exception out of all of these, she is the one person Prabhas loved and trusted who didn’t stab him in the back. I don’t know, I feel like I have to tease this out some more.

    – Oh, also about Anushka: I just really like how they handled her response to Ramya’s apology, she doesn’t forgive her (that I recall) or say it’s all right, but acknowledges that she has done a terrible thing by taking Prabhas away from her. But she keeps it focused and practical by saying saving the baby is the most important thing and that it might be the next best thing that Ramya can do.
    – did we talk about Rana’s creepy taunt to Anushka, “now in the whole world, whether to love or hate, you’ve got no one but me”? Because I feel like this is where his specific obsession with Anushka starts instead of her as a part of Prabhas?

    Liked by 1 person

    • -Now I am thinking again about how STUPID Krrish is. And Krrish 3, but for unrelated reasons.

      -Maybe it’s not so much breaking free, and momentarily losing the strength to keep it up. In that case, his choice to serve and protect Ramya and the baby is what brought him back to Rana. He called Ramya by her name and confronted her because he was ready to die, he just didn’t care any more. But once he began to care, he cared about everything, including his vow. Which brought him, reluctantly, back to Rana and Nassar.

      -This is a reach, but maybe it goes back to your point about Ram versus Draupadi, and a Mahabharata without Krishna? Anushka’s happy lullaby was to Prabhas as Krishna, to that playful happy side of him. Whereas the earlier song was to the Ram version, the noble perfect version. And it is that noble perfection and all the issues with it that lead to his death. Which also gets back to my earlier point about the two deaths, the death of the innocent nice young man, and the noble ruler.

      -Yes! She doesn’t let Ramya off the hook, but she also doesn’t enjoy her triumph or belabor the point, just moves on to “okay, now what is the next thing that must be done”. and just like always, Anushka knows and sees the thing to be done. And for once, Ramya trusts her judgement and follows her lead.

      -No, I had no memory of that! Too sad! Oh well, I will fold it into when I talk about the obsession plays out in the battle scene.

      On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 8:29 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • – Krrish (Sp? I always forget if it has unnecessary ‘r’s or ‘s’s) and its stupid alive-dad twist is definitely what I was thinking of, honestly. Not that it’s the only one, but it’s the most unnecessary IMO.

        – OK, I concede, you guys and right and Kattappa really isn’t breaking free šŸ˜¦ I’m trying to salvage you, Kattappa! Work with me here! But can I also say that despite my grumbling, I really admire how it works with his characterization- you cant expect someone to overcome years of psychological damage from servitude all of a sudden, or ever. So despite all my anger, his characterization reads as consistent and realistic and it makes the movie overall stronger.

        – And on a non tragic note: a friend showed me scans of the Baahubali comic book online and it looks amazingly ridiculous in the way comic books are. (Down to a Certain Person’s cameo at the end, which absolutely ruins canon but seems so inevitable they threw it in!)

        Like

        • -Extra “r”s. which is stupid enough, but the title “Krrish 3” feels me with unreasoned anger.

          -This is one way that Kattappa’s age works well. Mostly he is just too old to be believable with all the action scenes (since he doesn’t have a Bhishma explanation for his age). But he was already 40 at least by the time he started training Prabhas 1 and being treated as a human by him. The scars were already deep in him.

          -Please say Amitabh! Please say Amitabh!!!! It could be a crossover from his comic book series back in the day!

          On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 8:29 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

          • – It’s not a 3! It’s just a 2. Oh my gosh, I know exactly what you mean.

            – no, it’s not Amitabh! (I am so sad now, how excellent would that be, they could go wrestle crocodiles together or something!) Nope, it’s (SPOILER alert, but I will try to be vague) the masked female warrior in the background of the cover, who is….pretty much who you’d expect. (Rana and Prabhas don’t find out who she is, but she at least sees Prabhas and refers to him as “prince”)

            Like

    • I still think that Rana’s obsession with Anushka was because of her relation to Prabhas1. Like he was punishing her for choosing Prabhas1 over him, for indirectly insinuating that she thought that Prabhas1 was more worthy. She served as a reminder for all that he had conquered – Prabhas1’s love for HIS mother, the crown, kingdom, wife, child, Katappa’s lotalty, Kunthala. Which is why he says that he thought he would be happy once he got everything but when she eacaped, he felt lost without the reminder of all that he had gained.

      Like

      • I agree, and I think whoever was left after the bloodbath of these last 20 minutes would have served the same function for him. If Ramya had survived and Anushka had died. Or if the baby had been left behind to be raised in captivity. Or even if everyone else had died, but he had been able to capture Subbarajju or Anushka’s brother. In that moment, he was blindly lashing out and just needed someone, anyone, to latch on to. And then there were 25 years of obsession as she more and more became his focus.

        Interesting thought, perhaps the rebel bands focus on rescuing Anushka wasn’t just because she was their beloved princess? Maybe it was tactics, at least on the part of their leader? Maybe whispers had come down from Mahishmati that the king was obsessed with her, and that the best way to weaken him was to take her away?

        On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 1:33 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

        >

        Like

  3. – I remember in Baahubali1 Rana tells Anushka that he wants to stab Prabhas1 x number (I forget the number!) of times again but he is upset that he can’t. I didn’t get that till I saw the scene here. He also starts by going on about how he fooled Ramya (Rajamata? Pichimata!) which I think was the turning point for Katappa. Not that he was so evil as to kill Prabhas1 all over again but that he fooled Ramya whom Katappa worshipped above all and who orders Katappa to do the deed.

    – My friend who saw the movie with me says that he calls her by her name because of the personal relationship he had with her. He used to call her by name when they were younger because she was not a princess then and because they were friends, of sorts. Which goes to show that now, for a moment, he sees her as the girl he knew before he goes back to seeing her as the Rajamata. As much as I like your optimism about Katappa breaking free of his slave mindset, you’ve got to admit he decides to save the baby AFTER Ramya declares him the new king. šŸ™‚ Also, when he sees Prabhas1 for the first time, the first thing he does is declare his loyalty to him as he is the king (not because he is the son of Prabhas1 or the grandson of Ramya) in the exact same way that he swore his fealty when he was a baby.

    Like

  4. Margaret, Rana’s monologue while mutilating Prabhas 1’s dead body is a sadistic mimicry of Prabhas 1’s coronation oath. Rana ridicules that Prabhas 1 took oath with Rajamatha as witness while infact she is a pichimatha (this Telugu word means a lunatic mother). Rana was saying both Prabhas 1 and Ramya are fools.

    Before that he tells Kattappa that he suspected Kattappa’s slave loyalty (may be thats way he sent backup assassins). But Kattappa proved that he is always Rana’s dog (unwavering loyalty). That is not praising Kattappa but insulting him.

    Like

    • Thanks for the reminder! So in one sweet, by insulting the wording of the oath using the reference to their mother, he is insulting Prabhas both as a noble public figure and as the better son, taking away all his virtues.

      In the same way, the behavior that Kattappa has always seen as “good”, his greatest virtue, his loyalty, Rana is turning that against him and using it as an insult.

      On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 12:32 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  5. so if Kattapa is mad about the betrayal , why doesn’t he just kill Rana & Nasser after he found out about Prabhas 1’s wrongful death? Then Ramya could have continued to rule as a caretakger till baby becomes big enough or perhaps Anushka could have become the ruler (yay!)

    Like

    • I think he would have, but before he could get around to it, literally minutes after all this came out, Ramya and the baby both apparently died. So there was no time. If Ramya had been seen to get away, so the baby survived, I think Kattappa would have moved on to his next task of killing Rana and Nassar and saving Anushka. But since the baby was dead, and so was Ramya, there was no one else for him to serve.

      That is, if we buy Kattappa’s hole “I must serve the royal family of Mahishmati!” thing.

      On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 6:09 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

    • Here’s my gripe, though: as we see via Ramya, Kattappa has no problems accepting a daughter-in-law of the royal family as a full member (because Ramya isn’t part of the bloodline) and while she’s had her differences with her inlaws, Anushka has just reconciled with Ramya (someone points out on another message board that this scene is the first time Anushka calls Ramya, “mother in law”) and been made Rajmata for all intents and purposes: why the heck doesn’t he choose her to offer his loyalty to instead of Rana and Nasser?

      *which makes me even more curious to explore the missing six month gap and see if there was tension over Anushka being more tied to Kuntala instead of Mahishmati – which would make her walk at the end even more meaningful.

      Like

      • It makes me curious to explore the missing time between this horrible night and Anushka being put in chains. It couldn’t have been immediate, because she was so rough looking here, I think being thrown in a cage and chains with no medical care would have actually killed even her. So maybe Rana put her in the royal chambers, get her healed up, tried to get her to marry him, and when she refused, he declared her marriage invalid or something like that which would remove her from the royal family, then put her in the cage.

        On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 8:37 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

        >

        Like

        • But i think she was wearing the same saree that she wore on the night she gave birth, when she was being chained. Again the timeline continuity just doesn’t add up.

          Like

          • I could see her potentially being healed and kept in the palace, and then thrown out and put back into the sari in which she arrived later. The film did such a good job of showing her as not just wracked with grief, but in real bad physical shape post-giving birth, it makes it hard for me to imagine her going straight to that little jail cell and surviving it.

            On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 8:41 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

            >

            Like

  6. but why does kattapa continue to be a loyal slave to Rana & Nasser after Ramya & the baby both apparently die & Anushka is chained & more importantly he knows Rana is behind Prahas 1’s wrongful killing? I get Kattapa’s loyalty is towards Mahishmati , If so, he should not be letting Rana rule inspite of all this…….I think you are also pointing this out all along-correct?

    Like

    • Kattappa is a soldier & soldiers follow a chain of command. Ultimate loyalty is to the Crown. Ramya & baby baahu are assumed dead, so Kattappa has no choice but be loyal to Rana who wears the crown.

      Like

  7. M,

    That entire last bit comparing the waterfall and Sivagami’s motherly love – Beautiful!!

    When Katappa confronts Sivagami after he has killed Bahu and seen Bhalla’s depravity, he tells her in your anger you have misunderstood your loving son and the son you gave birth to you have not realised how far gone he is on “durmarg” / basically what a rotten apple he has become. Her reaction shows how this revelation fells her. Just as she fell forward on learning Bahu tried to assassinate Bhalla, knowing that Bhalla exploited her motherly love and made her kill the one son who loved her unconditionally fells her again. The full extent of loss hits her. She will never have him to hold and love again. He whom she promised to be a mother to, that Katappa would be an uncle to him and Bhalla a buddy brother to play with ; that was the child she killed. She tells Devasena what else can I do but go upto him in heaven and wash his feet with my tears. And before the night is over she is gone. In a hurry to go beg his forgiveness, to hug him and hold him.

    As you said it was his massive control that everyone should have feared. He saw people not take his father seriously as he kept erupting anytime anywhere. So he learned to hide his true feelings. And therefore was so much more dangerous.

    In the start of the Dandalayya sequence you can see the emotional toll of asking Bahu to leave on her face. Face downcast, eyes filled with tears barely holding herself together when he says even without a position and having been exiled, for the sake of Mahishmati whenever you call me you will find me ready and at your service and lays the sword at her feet. And softly tells his mother ” I take leave Amma”.

    – I saw your note about how you use actors names, I hope you don’t mind that I keep using the character names.

    Like

    • Use whatever names you like! I just got in the habit of using actors’ names and I wanted to explain because I was getting some questions about it in the comments and it seemed rude not to acknowledge it for new readers.

      -I forgot about the “hurry to heaven to wash his feet with my tears” line. It is such a clear description of Ramya’s state at that moment. In response to some other comment, I said that even if Ramya had survived all the way to the forest people, I think she would have faded away soon after. Maybe raising Prabhas 2 would bring her out of her funk, but I don’t think so, I think she was irreparably broken in this moment. Her mind and body would last just long enough to carry out this last task, and then she would let go.

      -I was talking about Hamlet to someone else, but another great Shakespearean comparison for this film is Iago from Othello. He is the nice guy, the friendly guy, the reliable guy who no one thinks about. But inside, he is nurturing this tremendous hatred. And all the more dangerous for keeping it inside and being so overlooked.

      -Yes! And those little moments, that Prabhas 1 can read on her face, are why he is so sure that eventually it will all work out. Maybe not for his royal heritage, but for his family.

      On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 11:03 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

  8. Pingback: Bahubali Posts Index – dontcallitbollywood

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s